Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where is Craig? Or any of the other owners?

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
This site is moving in a terrible direction and the ONLY one who can actually change things up is Craig or another owner.Long winded speech incoming,as i feel a need to cover most bases.I could email or mail him directly but would hope he visits his own site from time to time.

I am not here to roast any or all employees here but this site is NOT doing a good job in the direction of passionate gaming,i would like to see that changed.
Yes i understand this site is a business,no need to remind me,but i expect ANY business to show some passion for what it represents which is "HONEST" gaming articles,news,reviews,previews FIRST and business second.BTW omitting the bad is NOT honesty it is nearly the same as lying.I am not talking about straight up advertising,we know what to expect there as there are laws to govern that as well as unfair marketing laws.I would talk more about misleading articles and reviews where their REAL agenda is to generate $$$ and NOT articles based on passionate gaming.

So would really like to see Craig show an interest in his site by talking with users here or even just talking to us about what he wants from this site and what he expects from his employees and upheld policies and just anything else he can say about this website.
Yes i and others can read the policies posted but "imo" they are NOT being adhered to.If Craig comes out and says all he cares about is advertising,i have no problem with that,at least we know and have a better understanding on the sites intentions and values.

I somehow feel this site is NOT the way Craig had imagined it but because it is rolling in $$$ he overlooks any degradation of the sites values.

None the less,the few times i have seen Craig post here i got the feeling he is a legit honest person,so it would really be nice to hear from him.This is a site that MANY come to everyday so it really does matter the site remains a FUN place to come to and not feel like it is just a $$$$ generating business.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    So what you are saying is that you vant a vanilla/legacy MMORPG.COM site

=P

This have been a good conversation

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    There are two owners, @Admin and @Meddle. They believe in the work we do. So I've tagged them to respond to you, Wizardry. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I just wish it would go back to MMORPG.com myself.  I am tired of single person RPG news

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I don't think there are enough MMORPGs to sustain this site.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Having been a member of this site since 2004 I am very impressed with the direction this site has taken.  There were definitely dark bleak day's in the past and I am very happy to see it has matured past that.

In short, I am in absolute disagreement with @Wizardry.  Pretty much as usual.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited April 2016
    @Wizardry If you are just wanting a strict MMORPG aggregate site then you will be in the minority. Although it looks like you have a problem with the reviews this site gives. But like almost all your posts it is hard to get to the core of what you are trying to say through all the nonsense. What does "passionate gaming" mean? Passion can be a good and a bad thing. Just look at certain game forums here. "Honest gaming articles"? Again just because you don't agree with an opinion doesn't make it dishonest.

[mod edit - keep it civil please]
    Post edited by MikeB on

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I think the site is as good as ever, if not better.  There's usually an article or two a day that is actually worth reading and maybe commenting on.

Probably the biggest improvement to the site would come from Wizadry learning to put two spaces after periods in his posts.  My MMORPG.com experience would greatly benefit from that.
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    So long
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Only thing I hate in this website is the gigantic pop-up ad on iPad that makes you unable to close it down as the X is outside of screen and zoom feature does not work for some reason.

Other than that it is a good community and good reading.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    While everyone seems to go allover the OP, i think he has some valid points in there.

What i personally don't like is that every unknown "author" gets his stuff published here with no further introduction, no participation in his own article's thread, no reaction to the comments on it. Lots of these are marketing articles, some of them behind the "Guest Writer" account, and not everything that should is carrying the sponsored tag -come on, we're not stupid.

I'm not talking about the "established" writers that we see frequently, but the many names that pop up and leave again, seemingly just collecting their check (or delivering their check for that matter) and are out the door again before anyone has even clicked on their feature.

"If you don't like it, don't click it" -right, but it's not always working like that. Especially not with a community which considers this to be "their" site and therefore keeps an eye on who shapes it which way.
    Like i personally HATED it when R. Aihoshi frequently belittled and at times outright insulted the readers with his constant asian F2P propaganda while his account had 0 (!!!) postings to it, since he never stood up on the forums for many of the infuriating things he wrote.

On the other hand i saw lots of improvement as well. On the official side of things there have been some great interviews that for a change did not ooze PR spin and drivel, spot on reviews and thought raising articles lately, as well as some very good topics coming from the folks on the forums. I like how recently content comes faster. News, videos, articles, giveaways...it's all there and mostly on a daily basis.

Moderation bias on the forums is still there and everybody knows it. While moderation on forums in general is way more relaxed and people can actually disagree to each other for once, you just can't antagonize certain members without receiving a note from a mod. The overhaul of the main page is still coming "soon"...but howver -i'm fine with both and after all, this website is more worth my time visiting it than it was say two years ago.

TLDR: flaws and hickups, but also improvements. would still buy premium and a cup with a logo.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    There are two owners, @Admin and @Meddle.

Perhaps that explains the change of direction this site took, becoming more of a marketing platform than it has been some time ago.
    Not to say that this is gfood or bad and bills have to be paid (see what i did there? ;) ) ...it's just an observation which i guess many users share with me.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Volgore said:
    There are two owners, @Admin and @Meddle.

Perhaps that explains the change of direction this site took, becoming more of a marketing platform than it has been some time ago.
    Not to say that this is gfood or bad and bills have to be paid (see what i did there? ;) ) ...it's just an observation which i guess many users share with me.
    There have always been two owners from the day the site opened.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited April 2016
    I am also a long time user of this site and love it now more than I ever did. This site covers pretty much every major mmo and now  games that have are multiplayer online are covered like mobas and games like the Division and Destiny. All I ever wanted was more coverage of Eastern games and they are doing it. 

Keep up the good work guys.  =)
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Let's stick to the thread topic please. Grammar discussions can be taken to Off Topic. Thanks!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I've been lurking on this site for over 7 years now and there's only few things that changed and I didn't like but mostly are minor gripes.

1 - The instability of the site. Sometimes the site takes forever to load and that is my no 1 reason on using adblock here.
    2 - I might be wrong here but I'll say it nonetheless. I hate how every random joe can participate in prices and/or claim keys. There should be a restriction so new accounts (Mostly against Bots) need to have been active for x amount before being eligible for promotions. (Maybe an achievement that unlocks such feature?)
    3 - The gamelist throughout the years has gone down the gutter more and more. Once the new forum is complete I hope more focus is going to be given on that side of the site.

From canceled games to upcoming/popular games. We should get lists (With maybe articles?) like top 5/10 anticipated games for the mmorpg crew and more stuff like that.

That is mostly what I can remember at the moment. As you can see they are minor gripes for me (Although the last one would be really nice to have) and don't impact me to the point on not coming to this site.

If there's one thing that makes me post less on this site is the amount of hate threads on every new game that releases. There's even hate posts in praising threads.

Also mods pls make a better block on people so that it actually blocks the user and not leaving a huge box in a thread that is pretty ugly.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I do have a request.

Can you all make it so we can actually create threads in the Bless Online forum? 

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    DMKano said:
    So all of this drama over a .....

Video game site. 

Yeah

Let that sit with you for a moment.

*cough* Trion *cough*

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    edited April 2016
    Wizardry said:
    This site is moving in a terrible direction and the ONLY one who can actually change things up is Craig or another owner.Long winded speech incoming,as i feel a need to cover most bases.I could email or mail him directly but would hope he visits his own site from time to time.

I am not here to roast any or all employees here but this site is NOT doing a good job in the direction of passionate gaming,i would like to see that changed.
    Yes i understand this site is a business,no need to remind me,but i expect ANY business to show some passion for what it represents which is "HONEST" gaming articles,news,reviews,previews FIRST and business second.BTW omitting the bad is NOT honesty it is nearly the same as lying.I am not talking about straight up advertising,we know what to expect there as there are laws to govern that as well as unfair marketing laws.I would talk more about misleading articles and reviews where their REAL agenda is to generate $$$ and NOT articles based on passionate gaming.

So would really like to see Craig show an interest in his site by talking with users here or even just talking to us about what he wants from this site and what he expects from his employees and upheld policies and just anything else he can say about this website.
    Yes i and others can read the policies posted but "imo" they are NOT being adhered to.If Craig comes out and says all he cares about is advertising,i have no problem with that,at least we know and have a better understanding on the sites intentions and values.

I somehow feel this site is NOT the way Craig had imagined it but because it is rolling in $$$ he overlooks any degradation of the sites values.

None the less,the few times i have seen Craig post here i got the feeling he is a legit honest person,so it would really be nice to hear from him.This is a site that MANY come to everyday so it really does matter the site remains a FUN place to come to and not feel like it is just a $$$$ generating business.
    [mod edit]

Dude, do you realize this site probably would have closed already if it did not starter covering other types of games?
    Post edited by MikeB on

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited April 2016
    Volgore said:
    While everyone seems to go allover the OP, i think he has some valid points in there.

What i personally don't like is that every unknown "author" gets his stuff published here with no further introduction, no participation in his own article's thread, no reaction to the comments on it. Lots of these are marketing articles, some of them behind the "Guest Writer" account, and not everything that should is carrying the sponsored tag -come on, we're not stupid.

I'm not talking about the "established" writers that we see frequently, but the many names that pop up and leave again, seemingly just collecting their check (or delivering their check for that matter) and are out the door again before anyone has even clicked on their feature.

"If you don't like it, don't click it" -right, but it's not always working like that. Especially not with a community which considers this to be "their" site and therefore keeps an eye on who shapes it which way.
    Like i personally HATED it when R. Aihoshi frequently belittled and at times outright insulted the readers with his constant asian F2P propaganda while his account had 0 (!!!) postings to it, since he never stood up on the forums for many of the infuriating things he wrote.

On the other hand i saw lots of improvement as well. On the official side of things there have been some great interviews that for a change did not ooze PR spin and drivel, spot on reviews and thought raising articles lately, as well as some very good topics coming from the folks on the forums. I like how recently content comes faster. News, videos, articles, giveaways...it's all there and mostly on a daily basis.

Moderation bias on the forums is still there and everybody knows it. While moderation on forums in general is way more relaxed and people can actually disagree to each other for once, you just can't antagonize certain members without receiving a note from a mod. The overhaul of the main page is still coming "soon"...but howver -i'm fine with both and after all, this website is more worth my time visiting it than it was say two years ago.

TLDR: flaws and hickups, but also improvements. would still buy premium and a cup with a logo.

Well now. :o

THAT is the way to lay out an issue in a forum. Actual instances of dissatisfaction not just "aww I don't likey anymore". For instance the FtP guy and his weird fetishes was/is so one sided it wasn't even readable after a few columns. I think we can all agree this site needs much less of that drivel.

I will be a member for 10 years next month. I only have 2 complaints. First I miss the awesome giveaways we used to get, especially the year end ones. I actually won one year. I was excited even though it was a Gift Bag thing from a crappy Asian game. I guess the beta handouts and occasional FtP handouts are OK but man it used to be all Christmas multiple times a year here!

My other complaint is the creeping SJWism that is being seen and heard here. Mods should not be SJWing in their spare time. No I will not give specific examples for the obvious reasons. But I think we can all think of a thread or 2 that has been closed because of it. Disappointing.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    wizardry no offense man but for awhile now you been seriously jaded. You used to be a lot more up beat and thoughtful in your posts but you seem just angry now. I can agree on some aspects of this site, I think they need to ditch all these other games that have nothing to do with mmorpgs but you really do not seem to like any games at all now or have something negative to say about all of them. I used to post here many times a day now I visit this site maybe twice a week and post very little but its not because this site is evil or just a profit scam because it really isnt - its still a great site for information and a somewhat decent community of gamers. Maybe you should just take a break from reading and posting as its not all that bad here.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've bounced around from gaming site to gaming site and I tend to like this one the most.  It's informative and I get heads-up on a lot of gaming info.  Keep up the good works.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    edited April 2016
    Hello! *Craig* has finally ingested enough coffee and I am ready to make a post on this topic!

@Wizardy I am going to have to disagree with you on this one.  I know my team very well and they are passionate gamers.  We interact all day long as a team via many Slack channels and I see the care first hand.  

I am also part of this site all day, every day 365 days per year.  If you see a sweepstakes or a key event I am the one who set that up.  I am also the only person that handles the support@ email address to help users and to make sure I stay on the pulse of the site.  If you ever want to chat with me personally just email me at admin [at] mmorpg.com or support [at] mmorpg.com and I will gladly discuss things with you.

In addition I handle all advertising sales - which is why I don't interact directly with the content team very much for ethical reasons.  We have VERY strict policies and I will not even permit the content team to be in emails regarding advertising *unless* the advertising is the new "sponsored content" that we offer - which is clearly labeled as such.

In my 13 years owning/operating this website I can assure you there has never been a breach of ethics and this website has never taken money for a review or anything other than clearly labeled advertising...period.

Is making money important?  Absolutely without this many people would be out of jobs and the site would cease to exist.  That does not mean that myself or anyone on this team would give up our integrity for it.

We did make a switch years ago to go from just MMORPG games to MMO + RPG + MMORPG games.  It was not only necessary for our survival as AAA MMO games starting becoming extinct - it was also fun for us because we like covering RPG games - which let's face it - 95% of MMORPG gamers love and play in tandem with MMO games.  I only became passionate about MMORPG games myself because of my deep love of classic PC RPG games like Wizardry, Ultima, Might and Magic and countless others.

@bartoni33 - I hear you on the sweepstakes.  On many team calls I have brought up that I want to do more of this.  Their are some issues with it  a) sponsors just don't seem to be offering us stuff like they used to...so we would likely have to buy these prizes ourselves and pay to ship them b) our current site has a terrible sweeps system and it takes me a long time to set them up - our new site being developed should have an easy to admin sweeps system c) our site has gotten very international over time - only 43% of our users are from the US and shipping prizes all over the world is very expensive (plus many winners end up having to pay tariffs) and limiting them to the US only makes the community angry.  We did do a holiday sweeps this year (http://www.mmorpg.com/contests/holiday_sweeps_2015.cfm) and frankly it was a disaster.  Many sponsors have still not delivered prizes and I will likely be issuing a lot of PayPal cash to compensate winners.

In conclusion I will say that I will take all the comments into consideration - I do believe that everything and everyone has room for improvement.  Likewise no one and no thing is every really perfect or done in a way that will make everyone happy.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, feedback and support.  =)

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Let's focus on OP's comments and not on the OP himself, guys. Keep it civil.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Recore said:
    I do have a request.

Can you all make it so we can actually create threads in the Bless Online forum? 

We didn't have a forum for this one, but we do now.