Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did/Does Mama and Papa pay?

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
edited April 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Someone mentioned this in another thread, and it got me curious.  Have your parents ever in the past or currently paid so that you can play an MMO/online game?

Nothing wrong with it, more power to you in fact, but will find it interesting to see.

I self identify as a monkey.

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    WOW is an example of mom and pop paying for subs.  At least 90% of their current subscriptions are from mom's and pops who don't realize their kids no longer play the game.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    filmoret said:
    WOW is an example of mom and pop paying for subs.  At least 90% of their current subscriptions are from mom's and pops who don't realize their kids no longer play the game.
    Citation needed.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    I paid for my daughter's sub to WoW for many years.
  • TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    What's the point of this thread?  Will this information provide additional insight to these groups of players?

My parents had been dead 15 years before I played WoW for the first time.

/shrug

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    my dad didnt have a credit card before I had my own already, otherwise Daoc could have been my first MMO, its the first MMO I stumbled into in a game store.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    No. I was 22 when I started playing MMO's back in '99.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    TigsKC said:
    What's the point of this thread?  Will this information provide additional insight to these groups of players?

My parents had been dead 15 years before I played WoW for the first time.

/shrug

Not everything needs to have a grand purpose.  As I said in my original text, that I was merely curious because the topic does arise occasionally.   Knowledge is sometimes... only sometimes.... ok in and of itself.

• ArmendiusArmendius Member UncommonPosts: 119
    In the most baddass scenario you can sell the information as a link :)
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited April 2016
    In my case I was the Papa ;)

edit: I'm the Grandpapa now :)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Armendius said:
    In the most baddass scenario you can sell the information as a link :)
    My corporate overlords didn't tell me how to handle someone who saw through the smoke.  They'll probably want me to do something nefarious, so I'd be careful.  As soon as my instructions come in....

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I bought EQ when I was 16 and my dad payed for the sub (as well as the internet and the mortgage for that matter). That lasted for about another 2 years...

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I've been playing MMOs a long time, and it was no until like last week, when I was talking to my mom about how you needed a pet in Black Desert, But I hadn't bought one yet. a couple hours later, she came in  my room gave me the money for a pet and was like "you need a cat!". It was very sweet of her. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    I paid for my daughter's sub to WoW for many years.
    Same, paid for a daughters sub in Lineage 1, and for my son in WOW for 7 or 8 years. Some short stints in AOC, LOTRO, AION and DAOC as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Back when I was young... let me amend... I heard from a friend, that when he was young, they didn't really have high speed internet.  It was dial up.  I know what you're thinking, and I'm thinking it also.  How did my ummm Friend survive.  He said it was tough, but when you don't know better, you survive.  The point is, that my parents.... amend... his parents paid for the phone bill, so I guess that counts as paying for it.

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    No. I started playing UO in high school, but I funding my gaming by working at a DQ.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    My welfare checks pay for the games I play.  Who needs mom and dad?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Just remember, if you pay for your kids games, it might come back twofold when you're old and have no money and they have to pay for yours.  Pay it Forward.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    My parents paid for my UO beta CD.  I got a job right at the cusp of the genre's rise.
  • Dragonsfire9Dragonsfire9 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Seeing the audience here the question really should have been have you paid for your kids MMO sub.  As for me yes, bought ffxi for my son and he hated it but I played it for 7 years, couldn't waste the money you know.  Then he loved WOW so paid for that until he went to college.  My daughter she never was interested in MMO's but paid for Sims and some other social games for her.  You always want to make your kids happy or I did anyway.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    My parents never directly paid for me to play online games, but I have played games I paid for on an Internet connection they paid for while I visited my parents.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Start MMORPG with my saving allowance , then corrupt to RMT for gaming while still teens . Now work to pay for stuffs .
    So ... do the allowance count as parents money ? If so , then yes , i did .
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited April 2016
    I'm an old dude and my parents are gone, but they would never have paid. I was taught to work to earn money to pay for my own entertainments. They gave me chores to do (mow the lawn, wash the car, etc) when I was little and I bought baseball cards (which I later cashed in for enough money to pay for my first trip to Europe), etc. When I was 15 I got a job at a gas station and earned the money I needed to get my Atari 2600. I bought my own games with my own money and made my own car payments, too.

I'm not sure how kids are raised these days, but I follow the same practice with my son unless it's a gift for Christmas or b-day.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    My mom refused to pay for Asheron's Call 2, Final Fantasy 11, and Star Wars:Galaxies.  But, eventually she agreed to pay for Everquest's 2 monthly sub when I turned 16 (not sure why) and it was the first time I played an mmorpg longer than the trial period :)
  • PrincessPurplePrincessPurple Member CommonPosts: 4
    d_20 said:
     I was taught to work to earn money to pay for my own entertainments. 
    I was taught that paying money for entertainment is a waste of money. But now I make my own money I can do whatever I want with it, including buying a whole load of games
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    My parents said NO. lol

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!