Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instance dungeons yes or no?

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
I for the love of god hope they wont go instance that would kill the game, I would love to see alot more open open dungeons for everyone, even guilds can fight for it.
I'm so sick and tired of instance dungeons you press a button wait and voila you are in and do the run hardly say anything to the rest of the group.

Comments

• huihuhuhuhuihuhuhu Member UncommonPosts: 53
    +1
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    It might be sort of a "game generation" sort of thing as there are people who find it odd that dungeons would ever be anything but instanced.

I remember watching a play-through of some Asian mmo a few years ago and the streamer and his buddy had entered a dungeon. Suddenly they saw another person and one turned to the other and said "is that another player in here? Weird!"

I couldn't contain my laughter.

In truth instanced dungeons sort of server a different purpose than open dungeons. They are about preserving "an event" for a person, group, Raid Group, as opposed to open dungeons which are about player interaction in the midst of "the event" (or really whatever content is in there).
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I'm afraid they will continue the trend they begun in Cata and give players an experience where everyone will be telerported to dungeon and mobs are AoEble by all classes, not only mages, warlocks or paladins.

I would pay some euros to get somewhat different experience, but that's their game to run for. All i can do is to wish some developer understands my needs. :/
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Dungeons with open exploration including puzzles and hidden areas to discover, but instanced boss battles. This would allow people to have a more old-school dungeon exploration experience, but prevent large guilds from muscling in and essentially monopolizing access to the bosses. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited April 2016
    I like a game to have both, instance and open world.

EDIT: Have yet to see an MMO do open world dungeons as well as EQ1, some where so big it tooks days and weeks to explore. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I doubt they ever will. Non-instanced open world is one of the core features of the game.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    They already pretty much said no on instanced. Maybe they should do something along the lines of what EQ had.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Instanced to where anybody can teleport inside is ok but instanced to where its just you or your party is lame.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Maurgrim said:
    I for the love of god hope they wont go instance that would kill the game, I would love to see alot more open open dungeons for everyone, even guilds can fight for it.
    I'm so sick and tired of instance dungeons you press a button wait and voila you are in and do the run hardly say anything to the rest of the group.
    +1
    Agree, no instanced dungeons pls.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    node control and guild energy investment for an open world dungeon would be epic

best times of my MMO life were on Darktide (AC) fighting to gain and defend entrance to one of the best leveling spots in game

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Both styles have pros and cons.  It really depends on how the game is tailored too.  There's no doubt that instanced dungeons are popular though.
  • BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    edited April 2016
    You know they have dungeons right? In the future updates they add more group PVE content. They'll never make full changes to the game based on what NA and EU players want, but you can always check what the KR version has to see what we'll be getting. There's a new race/class just announced along with talk of under water content and even more areas (current game on EU/NA is maybe 1/2 the size of the KR map).
  • RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    I would prefer both in BDO, I would hate to be locked out of content I paid for, because of some elitist guild with small balls that would be "guarding" the entrance to anything
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    What are the rewards like for these dungeons?  Good xp and/or loot?

I have a feeling they won't be worth fighting over, or maybe even going to besides on a lark.
  • yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 240
    IMO instanced dungeons one of the things that started the decline of MMO's. Not realistic in any way and just pandered to the wanna-hold-hands crowd.

Open dungeons all the way.

The loot rewards are a different issue. Shitty loot is because of shitty companies, nothing else.
  • HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    IMO instanced dungeons one of the things that started the decline of MMO's. Not realistic in any way and just pandered to the wanna-hold-hands crowd.

The loot rewards are a different issue. Shitty loot is because of shitty companies, nothing else.
    That can be totally countered with., an instance has nothing to do with a hold hand crowd mentality, it is up to how the designers creates it and how hard they want it to be. Zerging open dungeon with 100's makes it hold-hands romp many times. Everyone's quality of experience is random due to state of dungeon upon entering.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DMKano said:
    That can be totally countered with., an instance has nothing to do with a hold hand crowd mentality, it is up to how the designers creates it and how hard they want it to be. Zerging open dungeon with 100's makes it hold-hands romp many times. Everyone's quality of experience is random due to state of dungeon upon entering.
    I remember Lower Guk in EQ1 vanilla - for weeks before the Kunark release - you could take a level 1 and walk them all the way to Ykesha drop room without being attacked once - because EVERYTHING was permacamped

Yeah, no doubt that there is a down side to open dungeons, at best they are an amazing experience but at worst it feel like a huge sale at the mall.

That isn't why we see so few open dungeons though. Open dungeons must be huge or they don't work and few games have a single huge dungeon today, and they certainly don't have a bunch of them. Most players want, or devs think they want, small dungeons you can complete in 15-30 minutes. And dungeons like that must be instanced, even with GW2 styled scaling open dungeons that are small would still be a mess.

It might still work in a game designed for it, hopefully can Pantheon pull it off but in most games today they would just be annoying.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    DMKano said:

I remember Lower Guk in EQ1 vanilla - for weeks before the Kunark release - you could take a level 1 and walk them all the way to Ykesha drop room without being attacked once - because EVERYTHING was permacamped

Yeah, i remember seeing that in EQ (even though i've never played it).  That's one of the drawbacks of non-instanced dungeons.  Everything gets camped and trivialized when there's no pvp involved.  They are great for guild competition though when pvp is allowed.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    observer said:
    Yeah, i remember seeing that in EQ (even though i've never played it).  That's one of the drawbacks of non-instanced dungeons.  Everything gets camped and trivialized when there's no pvp involved.  They are great for guild competition though when pvp is allowed.
    Open dungeons in PvP gets rather tiring though. I do remeber in EQ2 where you always had high level PKers at any dungeon which meant you either needed a so large team or be so overleveled that the dungeon in itself were zero challenge and in overleveleds case the gear was useless for you.

Right at the entrence there were always a few PKers with enough level and good enough gear to kill any team the dungeon would be challenging for no matter how good they played.

It sounds really fun in theory but it isn't fun when you actually play unless you enjoy to kill players that can't possibly defeat you.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Hardly matters in a game thats already heavily instanced via server shards.

Devs today think small. They are stuck in a box they couldn't even imagine their way out of. Of course there will be instances at the first sign someones convenience might be compromised.

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Dullahan said:
    Hardly matters in a game thats already heavily instanced via server shards.

Devs today think small. They are stuck in a box they couldn't even imagine their way out of. Of course there will be instances at the first sign someones convenience might be compromised.
    Server shards are a necessity.  All games need to handle server population in some form or fashion.  Can't have hundreds of players in one small area.  It tends to crush the servers. 

Do you think Pantheon will be able to handle this problem without doing server shards or some form like it?
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Is instancing still even a relevant question? We've seen several solutions to open-world bosses, and several solutions to shards.

Time to accept that either or both can work, even within the same title and at the same time.

This ain't an abortion debate anymore. You don't have to convert the other team for their own good.