Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Multiplayer Is Missing from Modern MMOs - Mark Kern at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhy Multiplayer Is Missing from Modern MMOs - Mark Kern at MMORPG.com

In my last article, I wrote about the role of GMs in old school text MMOs, MUDs, and how they enriched the experience rather than performed customer service. This was one of the features that we’ve lost in the transition to streamlined, modern, graphical MMOs. This article continues exploring old MUD elements that are worth revisiting and, perhaps, reinventing for the modern era.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PednickPednick Member UncommonPosts: 28
    edited April 2016
    I know this is from two years ago but I just came across it from doing a web search and OMG I so agree with this. Today I'm still looking for an mmorpg with "old school classes" and even PvE but it seems developers of today have gotten extremely lazy and way, way less creative. Yes I know it takes alot more money to create PvE content but it just takes common sense to know that people love "old school classes" and everything that's out today is just cheap "all you can do" classes. I'm not going to begrudge all developers though, I know there must be some out there that are the genuine article and will create an mmorpg that all of us can enjoy once again, while we're still alive and kicking. ;) BTW Mark Kern, you are one of the great ones.

"An it harm none, do what thou wilt"

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I can't believe he actually admitted that by killing interdependence they killed Multi-Player. Well good for him I guess. Surveying the wasteland of the post-WoW mmo-scape.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Yes, it highlights the point every design decision has a consequence, and what looks good at first in the short term often turns out to have long term negative impact.

For every added convenience we lost opportunities to interact with other players (for good or ill) which takes away the MMORPGs strongest selling point.

Players will say, but this is what we want, to which I reply they don't know what is good for them.

Never let the masses decide for themselves, they too often make the wrong choices.

There's a very good reason why true democracy is never permitted.
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    They had to adapt, or MMORPGs as a genre would have died out. Simple as that. 

It's not like MMOs haven't been trying to go back to how they used to be. WoD tried it, bringing the best PvE endgame content to date in WoW, with very little PvE solo content, which in turn forced half the playerbase to leave very quickly. Wildstar tried it, and is now on a life support.

MMOs have never been as popular as they are today, and that's thanks to the fact that you can solo most of the game. There is a wrong misconception that players wanted to socialize in an MMO. That's just not true, players mainly wanted an RPG with a massive world, that as it happens has an option to play with other players. Up until ESO we never really had a great RPG MMO, most just shifted away from the RPG aspect all together.

I really don't see the problem. RPGs are supposed to be played for the story, not loot. It's not like grouping content ever added any value to the MMOs, they are just there for the grind. 

If anyone actually thinks that the masses want challenging content, or having to group up for every single thing in the game, then by all means, go ahead. Show us how it's done. Sadly I'm not the one willing to bet on that combination.
    Gdemami
  • slo_opslo_op Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited January 2019
    It is 2018..19 and we lay all our hope on an indie's mmo. Well done.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    "We have to find a way to create worlds that players have strong social ties and high attachment to characters."

I cannot think of one new element in modern MMO design that encourages this, quite the opposite in fact, so this would take a total turn around from the direction MMOs have been headed in for over a decade.
This discussion has been closed.