Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remoras are the problem not Whales.

Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
So the new hop topic around sites like this is to demonize those who spend money on a hobby they enjoy aka the whales.  To me the entitled, freeloaders who complain about the "whales" and demand everything be handed to them aka The Remora are the real issue with today's gaming...well in society in general but that's for another board.  

This demonizing people who spend their own money on a hobby they enjoy is ridiculous.  It's amazing people actually think they have some special snowflake right to tell another person how to spend their money.  

You want to feel tough on the Internet? Go after the Remora they are the real issue. Leave the hard working people paying for the games alone. 

Comments

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    They both suck. Hence why any game past the subscription model has sucked, generally speaking.

~I am Many~

• UzidukeUziduke Member UncommonPosts: 110
    I agree with the OP guys.

Something Awful this way comes.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The Remora? Never heard that term before
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    The remoras (pronounced /rəˈmɔːrə/ or /ˈrɛmərə/), sometimes called suckerfish, are a family (Echeneidae) of ray-finned fish in the order Perciformes.[1][2] They grow to 7–75 cm (2.8 in–2 ft 5.5 in) long, and their distinctive first dorsal fins take the form of a modified oval, sucker-like organ with slat-like structures that open and close to create suction and take a firm hold against the skin of larger marine animals.[3] (Whales)
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    My problem is with the Business Model itself.

I know it's not in all cases but it's in most cases but the two I have tried made me wanna puke.

I put my money and my "time" where my mouth is. I will not play a F2P game.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    The only reason f2p works is because of whales.  Not many people like the f2p model.

People that don't spend any money don't influence anything.

It's not that people don't like whales, it's that people don't like the direction gaming monetization is heading, and it's fueled by whale money.
  • SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395
    the remora sound a lot like the millenials
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Problem is, remoras generally have a positive relationship with the larger fish they attach themselves to, keeping the host clean and consuming parasites. I believe a better example would be the lamprey. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    edited April 2016
    The free 2 fail model just encourages whaling... Why would you make a thread about being a whale and proud of it unless you were not happy? Seems a bit strange unless there is some psychological issue attached to it.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Another bad thing about whales and whaling is that when they are overfished, they can very quickly go extinct.

Governments in cases like these, usually come up with rules and regulations to limit the catch, in order preserve the species.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I will agree with the OP on one thing and that is entitled free loaders have no right to complain about anything when it comes to online gaming. Anyone who expects something for nothing is by all means an idiot. On the other hand though, the free to play model is complete garbage by all accounts. I for one am always willing to pay good money to play a game where no one can gain an advantage in game through real world currency. Box fee, Sub fee, Expansions whatever. However, I do not like double dipping. If a game company is gonna charge a box fee a sub fee and throw in a cash shop; even if that cash shop is purely cosmetic its a slap in the fucken face.. So I find myself agreeing with all these other people. We don't hate whales, we hate what you are making the MMO genre into. Game companies pumping out one cash grab after another cause they know people these days have loose wallets; and are willing to jump into any piece of garbage pay to win game that will take their money so they can be king for a day in a virtual world. In short, I like exploring dungeons for loot not cash shops. If you are whaling in a bad MMO you are part of the problem not the solution. GG OP GG.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    edited April 2016
    Heh -- free players are krill to the whales not remora.  They exist to be easily killed by the whale players.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    is this really happening or are we just saying its happening and then discussing about it as though its fact because we have heard multiple media sources use the word 'whale'?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I pay my fair share, just not interested in playing a title where someone else's massive overspending can significantly impact my gaming experience.

Whales are as much a blight on the genre as the freeloaders  IMNHO.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    concerns like these are the reason I do not communicate with anyone in game to the point of being insulting and yes if the online game had an offline version I would.

too many people up in other peoples shit far too much

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    1. The only reason f2p works is because of whales.  Not many people like the f2p model.
    2. People that don't spend any money don't influence anything.
    1. Source?. Players vote with their wallet and time. If the game and model is bad they don't play. I think f2p has a big part of League of Legends success.
    2. Ever heard of players as content?. Other players keep the guilds and game active.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Whale is not a very good analogy because they have teeth and they devour anything in their way.  Remora is a good analogy but it really applies to everyoone who isn't a whale.  Which is the problem you don't see a real difference between a free loader and someone who spends 15$ a month.  You have to be a whale in order to see a difference.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • MikePtMikePt Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited April 2016

One day whales will go extinct xD
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    The real reason is the piranhas that are gamers and any game is like chum.  A new game XXXX and the feeding frenzy begins.  

Why can't we all be dolphins.  Just swimming around, happy and content with a good bit of fish. 

I self identify as a monkey.

• Dragonsfire9Dragonsfire9 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    filmoret said:
    Whale is not a very good analogy because they have teeth and they devour anything in their way.  Remora is a good analogy but it really applies to everyoone who isn't a whale.  Which is the problem you don't see a real difference between a free loader and someone who spends 15$ a month.  You have to be a whale in order to see a difference.

I don't think you know what a whale is.  The biggest whales eat krill which are teeny tiny shrimp.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    filmoret said:

I don't think you know what a whale is.  The biggest whales eat krill which are teeny tiny shrimp.
    I know perfectly what a whale is.  The whales of gaming devour everything not just shrimp.  If you want to be technical then Remora don't follow whales anyways.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    No the problem is the shops are designed with fleecing people in mind.  They sell power most the time and those that play long enough see that you either spend to much on a game that isn't worth even 15 a month or you don't compete. 

If you put a shop in front of me my default response is well they won't be getting any of my money.  You want to be a whale go for it but don't think I'm gonna think highly of you for it, you encourage the model by spending copious amounts of money on something that again isn't worth 15 dollars a month.

Take Star Citiszen, I don't hate the idea of the game, I hate the fact that if people support that type of business model we will be left with nothing but projects selling in game stuff for hundreds of dollars.  If you can't see that then you are truly dense.
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    People that spend money, even a lot of it, are one thing. You probably don't know if they are actually a 'whale' or not. It's the pretentious dicks that flaunt it around and somehow thinks it makes them better than everyone else and that somehow their money equates to skill or effort are the ones that people hate. Don't forget that since a lot of the ones you know are whales are that type, they've ended up giving all whales a bad name.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    How about instead of remora or lamprey we expand beyond fish. Whales and raccoons. 

The raccoons just rummage around in the trash for a while freeloading then move on to the next trash heap when they get bored or are driven off.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    The remoras (pronounced /rəˈmɔːrə/ or /ˈrɛmərə/), sometimes called suckerfish, are a family (Echeneidae) of ray-finned fish in the order Perciformes.[1][2] They grow to 7–75 cm (2.8 in–2 ft 5.5 in) long, and their distinctive first dorsal fins take the form of a modified oval, sucker-like organ with slat-like structures that open and close to create suction and take a firm hold against the skin of larger marine animals.[3] (Whales)

Do you mean freeloaders?  That is an English word: 
    verb (used without object), Informal.
    to take advantage of others for free food, entertainment, etc.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

This discussion has been closed.