Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There's No Such Thing as Too Much Communication

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThere's No Such Thing as Too Much Communication

Communication is key when it comes to letting players know more about Elder Scrolls Online. There is no such thing as too much communication but there is such thing as not enough communication. Not enough communication is something that a lot of players are accusing Zenimax of. But is it true and if it’s not true, how much information as players do we deserve?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Once a month they should put out a letter to the community and touch base on what they are working on, what their challenges are, what is going right, what still needs work, etc.

They don't have to "give away the farm" but they should always be in a dialogue with their customers.

Heck, once per week or so our General Manager of all North America stands up on front of our office and pretty much let's us know what he and the management team are doing, things discussed, how sales are, etc.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Star Citizen communicates too much

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    SEANMCAD said:
    I also think anything that does gets communicated gets dissected too much and also certain people read into everything too much (not specifically to SC as it happens with most games).

In a world where some people seem to get off on watching others slip up it is probably best to not give those petty types any ammunition. 

SEANMCAD said:
    I also think anything that does gets communicated gets dissected too much and also certain people read into everything too much (not specifically to SC as it happens with most games).

In a world where some people seem to get off on watching others slip up it is probably best to not give those petty types any ammunition. 

this is why people want communication, so they can complain about what is said.

anyway, I agree with your observation. That said my example was to point out that:
     communication != production

communication is WAY over rated. Dont tell me what your going to do, just do it.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

anyway, I agree with your observation. That said my example was to point out that:

communication is WAY over rated. Dont tell me what your going to do, just do it.
    That solidifies WHY SC communicates too much according to you...because they arent or cant do it. So they have to explain it all away with 'communication'.

Its sort of like a lie and a truth. You could tell the truth with all the grandiose embellishments that actually happened. But why you KNEW they happened no one cares. But if youre lying or trying to hide something you embellish add on say what you think should have happened in that situation and expound on it even further.

When a teen is out drinking with is friends and his parent as "where you been' the answer is never a simple "at the movies' its always a production (more or less because theyre drunk or buzzed) but mostly because they dont know 'how' to lie.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There is a difference between what I want and what I expect.

Naturally I want frequent, detailed information. Whether I expect that depends on whether I am paying money on a regular basis. The more often I have to pay, the more often I expect good information. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390

SEANMCAD said:

Not as much as Yoshi P and the FF XIV ARR team. They never shut up(sarcasm).
  • HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390

SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

Never would I want a growing mmo company NOT let me know whats going on in a game i'll spend 10+ years in.

I LOVE minute to minute updates about what their doing or planning.

It's a very GREAT way to get player feedback and allow the player, the ones playing and paying, to voice their concerns or anything in the game that they will spend 10+ years in, if it lasts that long.

Communication is the most important part.

FF gives us updates and live letters and all kinds of shit and yet, still get content every 3 months. Now, what would I do if they stopped COMMUNICATING with us and just did what they want? Player feedback AFTER said content/change is out/made? Well that's stupid. Because then they say, "We can't change it now, we already did it", "we could tweak it". Fuck that noise. I want to know exactly whats going on in my virtual world where my friends are. Imagine they put out pure shit content that nobody wanted WITHOUT telling us first? I don't want to speak with my wallet, I want to speak with my voice. See, successful games have tons of communication, i.e. Blizzard, SE, and Zenimax Online. These company's have the top 3 mmo's out right now. What do they all have in common? COMMUNICATION.

No shit, no lie, if any of these company's stopped talking, i'll quit their games. So would a lot of people.

And yes, I have, and others as well, have said shit in forums and have gotten shit changed before so, it is possiable with communication to help the developer and player form a world that they like to play in.

That's why forums exist.

SEANMCAD said:

SEANMCAD said:

Never would I want a growing mmo company NOT let me know whats going on in a game i'll spend 10+ years in.

I LOVE minute to minute updates about what their doing or planning.

It's a very GREAT way to get player feedback and allow the player, the ones playing and paying, to voice their concerns or anything in the game that they will spend 10+ years in, if it lasts that long.

Communication is the most important part.

FF gives us updates and live letters and all kinds of shit and yet, still get content every 3 months. Now, what would I do if they stopped COMMUNICATING with us and just did what they want? Player feedback AFTER said content/change is out/made? Well that's stupid. Because then they say, "We can't change it now, we already did it", "we could tweak it". Fuck that noise. I want to know exactly whats going on in my virtual world where my friends are. Imagine they put out pure shit content that nobody wanted WITHOUT telling us first? I don't want to speak with my wallet, I want to speak with my voice. See, successful games have tons of communication, i.e. Blizzard, SE, and Zenimax Online. These company's have the top 3 mmo's out right now. What do they all have in common? COMMUNICATION.

No shit, no lie, if any of these company's stopped talking, i'll quit their games. So would a lot of people.

And yes, I have, and others as well, have said shit in forums and have gotten shit changed before so, it is possiable with communication to help the developer and player form a world that they like to play in.

That's why forums exist.
    completely disagree

saying your going to do something doesnt mean you are ever going to actually do it.

I dont play 'Forum Simulator'...oh wait actually I do. I mean to say I dont play 'what will the game be' I play 'what can I download right now and play and if I cant then I am off to look at something else thank you'

i
    production.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    This is what my wife believes...me not so much.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    How much should a company communicate with it's customers? It's funny, on the ESO forums there's little communication so the players make it up. They post the things they would like to see in the new updates and other players respond to the suggestions as if they are real. Every once in a while a forum manager may give a short reply or statement about something that really should have been posted as general information anyway.

There's the testing issue. Nothing has really been said about it. Players mention that the updates tested often weren't the updates released, and that known problems encountered were not dealt with. Which could mean Zos want the actual updates kept secret until implemented.

Lack of communication may be perceived as hiding something or hiding behind something. Something past down from the administration. Not a good thing for a service industry. All I know is the best MMO's have at least the illusion of good communication, you see and hear the Devs and GM's in chat a lot and see them playing the game with their customers a lot.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Too much communication = constantly making promises and delivery dates that you clearly can never deliver ****coughARKcough****
  • giberelinagiberelina Member UncommonPosts: 59
    You haven't known silence until you've played SWTOR pvp.
    Zen00 said:
    Too much communication = constantly making promises and delivery dates that you clearly can never deliver ****coughARKcough****
    really so called 'communication' before a product is out is really just a marketing ploy to build up hype and clearly it works really well because many people want the commuincation more than they want the game

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Zen00 said:
    ARK is feeling the typical bloat, theyre trying to add new things and balance that off with other things that already exist. Theyre trying to make sure that if DX 12 ever hits then its all compatible, theyre trying to make it so all the mods and maps and total conversions work with their system, theyre trying to rewrite and implement some of the better mods into an official form to put in the game, and theyre trying to get it ready for full release. Not that it hasnt been full release for awhile but officially official full release.

ARK has issues but not nearly the issues many games have that are trying to make a splash. ARK is pretty much an outline on how to do things the 'right' way. Some of their mechanics and systems are complete garbage but they new it and rectified (he said rectified) it by making unofficial servers where people could have their own rule sets and mod combinations and map set up. They did that on the fly and pretty much got all that right the first go around. That is pretty impressive, but because they did it so easily people took it for granted.

Yes they are missing a lot of deadlines lately, so what, theyre being hyper aggressive with those updates already. Its not like the game is unplayable but people want everything and they want it yesterday. I am sure if the release wasnt imminent they would simply be putting in smaller "for sure'' stuff on a regular basis but theyre trying to put in opposing items all at once, the fact the game hasnt melted down (other than that one time) due ot so many things being added and/or changed is a miracle as well.

Is it perfect,hell no but by comparison its about as good as it gets, especially from a tiny indie company with limited people and resources.
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    9 paragraphs of sympathy and apologizing for Zenimax. 1 paragraph of actual article.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I'm reminded of Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men.

"You can't handle the truth."

Same with gamers, sometimes telling them too much is counter productive.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    Star Citizen communicates one thing and then does not do that one thing, too much

Fixed it for you!
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Kyleran said:

agreed.

I think the better approach is to basically say nothing and then all of the sudden and out of nowhere have the HTC Vive for retail (as an example)

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Kyleran said:

Agreed but also, if an idea is not set in stone and might change, why communicate it?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ZendaiZendai Member UncommonPosts: 115
    edited April 2016

You haven't known silence until you've played SWTOR pvp.

This is exactly the problem. Even a game that has quite good balance, gets picked apart constantly about its 'unbalance'.

I have played a lot of SWTOR, and while there are Meta team comps in Arena, its a lot more balanced in WarZones, much more so than many other MMORPG's have done in the past. I don't get the gripe, but then again I don't take every loss personally, and I usually perform well with each class I play (cept Sniper, can't seem to get the hang of that class in PvP, though I have seen some amazing Sniper players)

Off of MMORPG's, I like to point at Heroes of the Storm, and how they approach content updates and hero balancing. If they have made significant, or even minor changes to an existing hero ability or talent there is usually a paragraph (or more) below the changes where the devs give a detailed summary of why they made the changes and what sort of impact they were intending. I think this goes a long way in removing speculation from the community, and give concrete ideals in which people can base their opinions. There are still people that freak out every time a change is made, but like the appliance industry, you can't take every complaint seriously, as it is usually because of ignorance and misuse that causes the most problems.

If more companies approached their updates like this, there would be less controversy, and a little more understanding. I hope to see more dev's take a note out of Blizzards book, especially since these guys have some of the most experience with MMO games of any company out there. I don't just mean WoW. WC2 & 3, D2 & 3, WoW, SC1 & 2, HotS, HS, and soon OW. That's one hell of a portfolio of successful massively multiplayer stretching back to the late 90's. And a great portion of these are PvP games, so that alone gives a reason on why they approach their development in this way now.
  • Sassy_Gay_UnicornSassy_Gay_Unicorn Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Whatever they do the players will bitch and moan. Show me one game forum for a title that has been released more than a year that isn't more noise to signal and I will eat your hat.
  • ShadovarLoveShadovarLove Member CommonPosts: 26
    It is a lose-lose. If you communicate constantly, give a detailed synopsis of your changes, the reasoning behind them, and your future plans... Gamers complain about the changes. If you don't communicate with gamers as much as they think you should, they complain that you're keeping them in the dark. You can't please everyone, so I think dev teams should do what is right for their consumer base. Some gaming communities are irrational as hell and want minute to minute coverage of a game. Some just want to know when something major is about to change. I'm part of the latter. I don't take it personally when my favorite class/ability gets tweaked. I just want to know it's happening.

That's about it.
  • JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90
    This writer is an idiot to think that Guild War 2 pvp is basically cookie cutter fights IT IS NOT AT ALL. Last season Revenant and Reaper were OP with lots of chill and BS abilities. Know your facts before you post something stupid like that. Writers on here suck balls.