Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retconning Heart of Thorns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageRetconning Heart of Thorns

As time’s gone by, the community has made its voice heard, and that voice quite simply said “We like some of Heart of Thorns, but not enough. And we want you to change it.” And that’s just what Guild Wars 2 developer ArenaNet is focusing the Spring Update on when it launches later today. We sat in on a presentation with the Bellevue, WA based folks and got the lowdown on everything that’s contained in the 16,000 words worth of patch notes.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    This is an amazing update! I'm really impressed.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    That is fantastic! As I always struggled to get to Level 80, as I just kept getting bored around lvl40 after unlocking all weapon skills.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    This should be interesting. Looking forward to see exactly how all of this is implemented.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• viletot0viletot0 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I just started playing again after a semi long hiatus, all of these changes sound good, I won't use the lvl 80 boost since i enjoy the leveling but everything else seems like welcome changes.  hopefully having the level 80 boost doesn't leave the non HOT areas abandoned though.
  • Zen00Zen00 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    viletot0 said:
    I just started playing again after a semi long hiatus, all of these changes sound good, I won't use the lvl 80 boost since i enjoy the leveling but everything else seems like welcome changes.  hopefully having the level 80 boost doesn't leave the non HOT areas abandoned though.
    They already were, except for boss trains and people getting 100% world completion.
  • viletot0viletot0 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Zen00 said:
    viletot0 said:
    They already were, except for boss trains and people getting 100% world completion.

hmm, thats disappointing, guess i will level a bit but if it's too abandoned I may just shelf it.  
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I have a few friends who came back after a hiatus away from the game.  They are speaking very highly of the implemented changes.  I hope everyone else has an equally good experience.  I will eventually  make my way back there to see for myself.
  • nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I guess I'll be returning to GW2 again :D
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    They actually did something that made me log in for the first time this year lol
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2016
    While i like the current state of HoT, this definitely sounds like a big improvement. Looking forward to the update. Great news about lvl 80 boost, i already have a level 80 Human Elementalist but I want a Norn Ele so i'll boost that one. I just want a new expansion already. Far away from jungles, forests and bugs.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Holy crap!

Joined - July 2004

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I hope this means the next expansion, assuming they are working on one, will be better right out of the gate. HoT was really enjoyable in regards to theme and the new classes and such, but also had to many flaws... I never even beat the main storyline before I stopped playing again. I look forward to trying out this patch after I tire of dieing in Dark Souls 3.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    I'm logging on! So hyped. Arenanet is handsdown my favourite gaming company when it comes to working alongside the community. This looks so amazing...
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Torval said:
    The Maguuma update sounds good. If the herd mentality was removed and I can play through it myself or with another then I'll be happier.

I wish they would make legendary weapons that look cool, but not ridiculous. The weapons often don't even look remotely serviceable. I hate that. In GW1 they could look odd or slightly fantastic, but most of them had some grounding in reality.

I wish the installer/updater would manage which client to use, either 32 or 64 bit. Other than that it sounds like a good update. I hope they get back to their roots.
    Wow Torval is keeping it real...

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    I stopped playing once i had done the quests and collected each area's items for the achievement. 
    Couldnt get anyone to do a Fractal, standing outside a dungeon and joining a group = getting removed from group so never did a dungeon. 
    Did the world boss's but they got boring, i just got bored and stopped playing.
    Hope this patch change's things when it comes out, didnt bother getting the expansion however, i thought there was no point wasting money.
  • TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

I stopped playing once i had done the quests and collected each area's items for the achievement. 
    Couldnt get anyone to do a Fractal, standing outside a dungeon and joining a group = getting removed from group so never did a dungeon. 
    Did the world boss's but they got boring, i just got bored and stopped playing.
    Hope this patch change's things when it comes out, didnt bother getting the expansion however, i thought there was no point wasting money.

TLDR translation: Life sucks I hate everything.
  • TheGoblinKingTheGoblinKing Member UncommonPosts: 208

viletot0 said:

Don tknow where that other guy his info that replied to but the old maps on my server asbolutely exploding with people 24/7

• GeneauxGeneaux Member UncommonPosts: 8
    viletot0 said:
    You can actually tryout/test the boost without actually consuming it, if that floats your boat. There are no time constraints to the trial as well. Though its use is strictly limited to the Silverwastes until it is actually consumed.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've got one of every class leveled to max already and may never use that free lvl 80, but it's nice to have. That shared inventory space is also nice to have. Other games would have charged for all that but not this one. Good times...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    edited April 2016
    For me instead an 80 level boost item, i prefer to have another free character slot or a free total makeover kit. I got a shitty looks on my thief... :cry:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • KaerellaKaerella Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Apparently quite a few people have been getting a "Unable to verify the Guild Wars 2 executable" error after the update - uninstalling, then renaming Gw2Setup.exe to Gw2.exe, putting it into its own folder and running it seems to be the solution, though downloading the whole game again takes a while!
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Awesome. Now I have an 80 of every class in this title. Love it!
  • jammerben87jammerben87 Member CommonPosts: 2

viletot0 said:

Not mentioned here but if you use it on a character that is already level 80 it gives you a bag of goodies. Double click on a max level character to see the rewards.
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Im not going to hold my breath given Anets track record!
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    "The LFG tool is getting more love too – Raids are now officially supported, so people looking for raids can find them, and raids looking for people can find bodies too. There are new categories for Mentors, Achievement Hunters, and Roleplaying too. So if you want to be a mentor to new players, or want to learn something, the LFG tool can help."

This. Sliced bread, move over, there is a new champ in town!

However, it is kinda odd how Anet notes that their 1-80 game is great, or revered as the article puts it, but then they offer insta-80 tokens, so you can... do less of the great stuff? Bu tif a game offers this, the idea to allow a tryout of the token before using it is pure gold. Typical ANet, that idea.