Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't play ESO since thieves guild dlc.

muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
really frustrating.  i've tried repairing several times.  and i even re-installed the entire game.  why can't i play anymore?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited April 2016
    DX11 video card? They dropped DX9/10 support with that update.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i have dx12 I think.
    So what happens? Are your problems with the launcher? Starting the game? Any error messages?

Look in your Documents > Elder Scrolls Online > Live directory for usersettings.txt and make sure this line is in there:

SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

it crashes right away and ask me what I was doing when I crashed.  then it sends me back to the launcher page. 
  • AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    What GPU you have?
    gtx 765m.  other newish games run fine. 
    muffins89 said:
    it crashes right away and ask me what I was doing when I crashed.  then it sends me back to the launcher page. 
    Is that D3D11 line in your usersettings.txt file?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    So what happens? Are your problems with the launcher? Starting the game? Any error messages?

Look in your Documents > Elder Scrolls Online > Live directory for usersettings.txt and make sure this line is in there:

SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11"

and yeah that line is in there. 
    Hmm not sure then. I got this from the ESO support site:

Download and install latest drivers for your graphics card:

In addition, you should ensure your video driver is selecting the correct GPU for ESO by opening either the NVIDIA Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Control Panel and ensuring that ESO64.exe is making use of your primary GPU.

To do so, follow the process below:

NVIDIA Graphics Cards

1. Right-click on your desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
    2. In the Control Panel, select Manage 3D settings, then click on the Program Settingstab.  
    3. Next to the "Select a program to customize" option, click the Add button.  
    4. From the pop-up window, navigate to the folder where ESO is installed and selectESO64.exe.
    5. In the "Select the preferred graphics processor for this program" option, open the drop-down menu and select High-performance NVIDIA processor and confirm.

Also... be aware that running ESO off the launcher will launch the 32-bit version of ESO. To run ESO64.exe you need to run it from the directory (just make a link to it and put it on your desktop)

You could also just try deleting the usersettings.txt file altogether and let the game re-create it. It fixed some weird CTD problems I was having a few months back.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AgnharAgnhar Member UncommonPosts: 108
    I had a similar experience when i upgraded to windows 10 it turned out i had to re-download my drivers. 
    I was looking on their support site and I'm trying this compatablitity fix they suggested now.  I think it might be because I have windows 10 now.  which has given me several problems.  thanks for your time guys.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I am staying with Windows 7 until they pry it out of my cold dead hands!

My motto is never update until you absolutely positively must really have to you need to update. From experience I've learned updates always come with problems. 
    flizzer said:
    I am staying with Windows 7 until they pry it out of my cold dead hands!

My motto is never update until you absolutely positively must really have to you need to update. From experience I've learned updates always come with problems. 
    Well yeah... good motto. But they had me at "free" :)

But I also had a few growing pains when I switched, luckily just with the upgrade - it kept hanging until I disconnected my DVD drive - after that, reconnected it and no problems at all since.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    A bit of a digression but....

When I first downloaded ESO I simply clicked the drive I wanted to put it on. I  have 4 and all other games I just select the drive and it assigns a folder. NOT  ESO.   ESO wanted the entire drive.  It deleted every other game I had on that drive to make room for ESO.  It was not a size issue as I had plenty of room.  I lost all my Skyrim mods and for some reason I can't figure out how to get them back.  Anyway, this put me off ESO for a few weeks until I calmed down. I then tried again and manually assigned a folder.  Worked this time.  Apparently this was an issue a few people have had problems with. 
    Torval said:
    What driver version do you have? If you see the Nvidia control panel in your task manager open it and check. If you don't see it in your task manager then:
    1. Hit the Windows Key or Start Button.
    2. Type "Nvidia"
    3. One of the top responses should be "Nvidia Control Panel" - click it and open it.
    4. In the green box in the middle of the window should be your graphics card and version.

The current driver for your card, according to their site, is 364.72.

thanks for the tip torval.  but I spent all morning trying to find a driver that actually works with windows 10.  as I cant get the latest version to do that.  I also had to find a work around to get my NVidia control panel to actually open so I could even turn on my card and not run off my intel chip.  windows 10 and NVidia don't seem quite compatible yet. 
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    There's an ongoing problem with that particular chip and windows 10. You're not the first with this problem.
    Best of luck waiting for a fix? Alternatively, try a driver purge: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html and then install from scratch. If this still doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you, going to have to wait for a fix.

Don't install beta drivers if you can help it.