Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SPONSORED - Lux: Three Days Left! A Letter from the CEO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageThree Days Left! A Letter from the CEO (Sponsored)

First, a big THANK YOU to all our current backers on all levels! We've seen a lot of support for a game that was revealed only a few weeks ago. That being said, we are still a good distance from our goal.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    I dont see them getting another 130k in 3 days :/
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Why play a trashy Don't Starve clone when I can just play Don't Starve?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited April 2016
    what exactly is a "sponsored" article? ....like a paid advertisement? come on MMORPG, stop being so greedy. i already have to sign in to avoid a crap load of ads in your columns, i am forced to look at more ads when i look for the "comments" button (i mean, i clicked on "comments" already, why do i have to click again on the stupid "comment" button? oh i see, so i'm forced to look at ads), your front page is full of ads, a lot of your articles also end up sounding like ads....

your ads are getting very annoying. i stopped going to gamespot.com because of all their ads, and "sponsored" articles. please stop this crap.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    what exactly is a "sponsored" article? ....like a paid advertisement? come on MMORPG, stop being so greedy. i already have to sign in to avoid a crap load of ads in your columns, i am forced to look at more ads when i look for the "comments" button (i mean, i clicked on "comments" already, why do i have to click again on the stupid "comment" button? oh i see, so i'm forced to look at ads), your front page is full of ads, a lot of your articles also end up sounding like ads....

your ads are getting very annoying. i stopped going to gamespot.com because of all their ads, and "sponsored" articles. please stop this crap.
    "What is Sponsored Content at MMORPG? In its simplest form, sponsored content is a post or article an advertiser pays to have featured prominently on the site. We will never post content that is defamatory, self-aggrandizing, or blatantly false. All sponsored posts must go through both the Advertising and Editorial teams on the site and approved before going live. Sponsored posts can be news articles, videos, or even previews of new content. But you will not see opinion-based content as sponsored content, you will not see sponsored or paid reviews, and you will not see anything we believe is cheap or not worth our readers' time. In short, think of sponsored content as informational posts that companies wish to get in front of more eyes than a regular post which quickly fades from the front page. Our goal is to make sure sponsored content remains both informational and ethical, and we will make sure you always know when you're reading something that's been sponsored."

And for the reason why they've been doing sponsored articles:

"Our latest logs show that between 30-40% of users visiting MMORPG.com are running some sort of AdBlock plugin in their browsers.

Since we rely on impression based advertising for our revenues and adhere to the strict advertising policies we've created for ourselves this has a drastic effect on our ability to maintain this site to the highest standards possible."

• garrett53garrett53 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Even their characters are a rip-off. Guy in a half mask? Cmon Bleach.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Forgrimm said:

"What is Sponsored Content at MMORPG? In its simplest form, sponsored content is a post or article an advertiser pays to have featured prominently on the site. We will never post content that is defamatory, self-aggrandizing, or blatantly false. All sponsored posts must go through both the Advertising and Editorial teams on the site and approved before going live. Sponsored posts can be news articles, videos, or even previews of new content. But you will not see opinion-based content as sponsored content, you will not see sponsored or paid reviews, and you will not see anything we believe is cheap or not worth our readers' time. In short, think of sponsored content as informational posts that companies wish to get in front of more eyes than a regular post which quickly fades from the front page. Our goal is to make sure sponsored content remains both informational and ethical, and we will make sure you always know when you're reading something that's been sponsored."

And for the reason why they've been doing sponsored articles:

"Our latest logs show that between 30-40% of users visiting MMORPG.com are running some sort of AdBlock plugin in their browsers.

Since we rely on impression based advertising for our revenues and adhere to the strict advertising policies we've created for ourselves this has a drastic effect on our ability to maintain this site to the highest standards possible."

I tried for nearly 4 years to not use adblock but a lot of the ads started silently installing malware and then some ads were just blatantly blocking the whole website(scarlet blade boobs all over my screen...hey i love boobs but it was pretty lame what was going on). So i was forced to use adblocker.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• IsometrixIsometrix Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Never going to hit another 130k and by trying ads like this you're just creating a reputation. Should've let it sink away quietly and relaunched with better marketing later on.

Games looks fine. Little generic honestly, it's just like somebody said "Don't Starve, we can do that. Kickstarter, we can do that. Let's go"
  • KeenoKeeno Member UncommonPosts: 56
    This game needs to die a horrible death, burnt to ashes and never be brought up again.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    These kick-starter campaigns reminds of those religious shows always asking for money. Maybe he should say Jesus needs this game before the end is coming or something wacky like that.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

People like you are a bane on the internet. How is a free webpage to make money? Its a sponsored bit on a video game. How is that a problem? People that expect the world to hand them everything for free... nm cant say that. Have a good day!
  • TheAsianVillainTheAsianVillain Member UncommonPosts: 85
    They're already money driven. Squeezing whatever amount they can. haha. *salute*
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    They're already money driven. Squeezing whatever amount they can. haha. *salute*
    And I am sure you goto work for free. This is their job =-P
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is a never ending problem with cash shop gaming or pre order packages.

You will ALWAYS alienate one side of the player base.You either give items that should NEVER be given just because a player handed you some money.On the other hand you don't want to alienate the FREE money givers by giving release players the same items only for free.

It is why these new wave gimmicks of pre orders and crowd funding are such a terrible blemish on the game industry,you will ALWAYS piss off a section of your player base.

Game items should ALWAYS be left to the game and not part of any money scam,also items should be crafted in game by players with no outside interference.There should be no such thing as preferential treatment of ANY kind.

Gamers for the most part seem dumbfounded as to how this whole scam works.I bet they THINK that "of course a freemium player shouldn't get the same game as me for free".In reality the system is setup to support people giving free money to the developer,the freemium players have nothing to do with the system,it is a bait and switch system.

For those that are not smart enough to figure it out,i will spell it out in a much simpler fashion.It is like when you see a SALE,people think "wow let's buy it,we are SAVING money"....roflmao DUH.You are NOT saving money by spending money on something you likely would not have spent any money on.So you walk in with $50 ,see a sale ,spend all $50 lmao,yeah you saved a lot,you walked out with no money left .

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2016

I guess you're lucky it's not someone liek me running this site, as I'd help you out and ban you from the service. Then you'd have no worry about seeing my sponsored articles or adds.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    This thread got massively derailed
  • Silentman0116Silentman0116 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    ive played dont starve..hated it...this game actually looks fun. when you die you may be back at your bunker but you get to keep playing. Dont starve you die and thats it game over all your shit is gooone. hated it. and kickstarter is a totally legit way to get your shit going, but most shit that is talked is by people who punch in and out 9-5 zombies
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Another sponsored article, another mandatory read by me.

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Crowd fundings... I am not falling for it ever again.
  • ValorfelValorfel Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited April 2016
    Lol such whiny self entitled gamers, I've played Don't Starve, if you actually watch the dev trailers for this game the mechanics are entirely different. I would really love to see this get off the ground. And the sponsored articles complaining is also pretty dumb, you see a professionally formatted article and because it says "sponsored" you some how lump it in with column ads? What a joke.

Love the crowdfunding restructure, part of the beauty of crowd funding is being part of something at a ground up/development level that we had never been able to engage before KickStarter and Indiegogo days.

Tired of seeing people bash a game that has similar look to another game. So asinine. So we should shut down all cell phone providers except for the very original (that would At&t since they used to be Ameritech and Pacific Bell on the landline side...wooo, way to go not having options) and any other competitive industry that has more than one player in the business doing similar products.

FFS
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

If you don't like sponsored articles, then don't click on them. They're clearly labeled as sponsored, so it's not like you're expecting some hard-hitting piece that will tear the game to shreds. The site has to make money somehow, and clearly labeled sponsored articles are a whole lot less objectionable than what a lot of sites do.
  • Ahmy17Ahmy17 Member UncommonPosts: 10

garrett53 said:

Even their characters are a rip-off. Guy in a half mask? Cmon Bleach.

and every guy with 3 swords ripping off zoro, every guy with one wing is ripping off sephiroth and even sephiroth is ripping off someone else, this world is a big rip off
  • toomuch4212toomuch4212 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    I find the game less disconcerting than the uprising trend of similar business tactics. Whether it be F2P or even truly Pay-2-win isn't even the biggest concern...

From indie and small publishers to even some of the bigger studios (albeit mostly foreign, not a dig , nor solid fact, just personal awareness) are adopting a scary similarity. It just seems to me when games get developed and published and take off in certain geographic areas where certain practices may be common place, or considered less offensive or shady, then published in NA by a usually less experienced company or at least less experienced in MMO and the games genre and market in NA in general, it becomes touchy. What we may find leery may be normal practice abroad so 30 dollars for one costume that's purely cosmetic *cough*BDO*cough* .

But my main point (sorry I am terrible at summarizing and tend to rant about alot of issues) is the pre-order or Kickstarter being coupled with public feedback. Listening to your player base is great , most of the time, "too many cooks in the kitchen" and all that, may lead to issues of course with too hot too cold and finding the sweet spot of offending or pissing off the least amount of players seems hard and tedious with too much fan involvement. Still not the true issue and my main point. It's coming, lol.

when a game is put up for crowdfunding or pre-order with certain perks or packages, those bundles need to be cemented. As much time care, Polish and careful treading put into the game needs to be done with these packages before they become available. Without a ToS explaining a change order is possible to what your getting is always good too. But even than it only can support to certain extent. To put out packages, and then get complaints by many prospective buyers, and change those packages content and/or entire foundation, is borderline fraud. Depending just how drastic the final product is from the original claim too.

Listening to your fan base is a positive trend imo. If used to shape the game. Not rake in the most money the quickest. "Oh people think this is unfair or shady and we are losing money so let's change things up (at the 11th hour in some cases) completely on their head and f$@k the tons of people who have already made a financial commitment to the game already. Do your research and if it doesn't work out perfectly and people talk negatively Theban at least stick with your guns. Try using polls and voting on sites and forums to make sure before release or look into positive trends. Do your homework before releasing something then change it up out of greed screwing original investors and blame it solely on the complainer fans they want to rein in, saying they are listening and changin things to what the players want, falsely painting themselves off to be heroes not crooks. I don't like where things are headed. Even if this game does die before it's even off the ground, similar pyramid scheme-like scam games, vapor ware, or even just regular games/MMOs that are out to do or change anything at anytime to greedily get more money and move on to the next Sap the second they've sucked money from the first wave of suckers. Telling people what they want to hear in every blog update, contradicting their original claims that many sign up for just for those reasons and then they get changed after a huge financial commitment.

and sometimes using their snake oil salesman like tactics to get what money they can under the guise of prioritizing fan requests rather than original buyers or better yet prioritizing the game and its development. Not starting backwards with prioritizing the games marketing and purchase draw, before they even get an alpha build out. And these cash grab tactics (all variations of them) are coming from all ends and while many outcry and call them out, without any set laws, blurry lines, and no class action suits against these people who flip flop constantly and could careless about the people they sold to, only the ones that they could STILL sell to, if not stopped some way, could end up being the standard and the bigger companies could start trying to get away with the same thing and having the consumer by the balls for early adoption rather than being rewarded. It used to mean being a founder was a great thing for those who could afford it, on games that were cemented and was used as a way to get diehard optistic fans into the development in small controlled groups and reward them for it I s turning into a way to manipulate interest,mat the cost of others. Slowly becoming a mass appeal now it's as much of a gamble as say Kickstarter but without the guarantee of getting your money back if nothing comes. Something may come but if it's nit what you signed up for then that's false advertising.

I realize there is a fine line between updates and changes to a game for the sake of progress or even more players, but this is just turning into playing dirty and showing true colors right off the bat or certain companies. "Well then just don't buy it" easily said, but how do you know, if your paying for a sheep and the seller says well other buyers want a goat so your getting a goat too is bullshit. At least grandfather the original package owners in in their original promise. Or formulate a new business model or use some of the older, proven ones. Don't just go around changing not only the game or features in a whim (which is fine to an extent and well, within the rights of a game maker they can do what they want) but I'm just scared of what this could evolve into if people blindly continue to eat up primes like lemmings,many not do anything when they are revealed to be caring less about their game and player base and quality (all the while pretending they do) when really it's all about the numbers and the numbers of Benjamin's.