Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nearly twenty years later, there is still no game like it...

A vast, truly open world...

...Where you could build and decorate your own house...

...And create real, working towns...

...With bars, hospitals, shops and even malls...

...You could defend with automatic defences and NPC guards...

...And which, if you were unlucky, could be invaded and seized by player-armies...

...Where almost every object had a three-D representation that you could move and place...

...Where you could biologically manipulate almost any animal, train them and use them to hunt...

...Which was a sandbox - but also had discrete themeparks within that sandbox...

...Where you could build, customise and decorate vehicles that would travel across the instantless landscapes - or take you high above them...

...Where you could build and sell anything from food to clothes to guns to drugs to vehicles to candles...

...Where you could become rich or powerful or even strong far beyond the efforts of ordinary players - but where you could also reach the top of the tree without killing anything or anyone...

Do you know what game I am talking about? And can you imagine how such a game would do today if it were bug-free and properly supported? ...IT WAS THE CHOSEN ONE!
Gdemami

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2016
    UO or SWG? I'd say the  latter... and would agree there has been nothing else like it.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Meridian 59.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    SWG I think...and yes, wish it could still be played.
     wish it could still be played.
    ;)

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Distopia said:
    ;)
    ...?

PM me
    edited April 2016
    Distopia said:
    ;)
    ...?

PM me
    @GrumpyHobbit  Better yet   http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/private-emulated-server-discussion

It's legit to discuss here now. Which verison do you want Pre-cu, NGE, or PRe-cu with caveats?

For the former look up SWGemu
    For Nge look up SWGlegends
    For the caveats SWGemu-Bloodfin
    [Deleted User]

• rochristrochrist Member UncommonPosts: 134
    SWG isn't really close to 20 years later status.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2016
    I thought swg looked way too dated to enjoy,contrary to belief graphics matter enough that they have to be bearable.Once a game is dated it is goodbye,nice game while lasted but time to find a better more improved version of.

Sadly and why so many look back is the current gaming market is piling out tons of utter crap,games not worth even looking at let alone play so gamer's are being held hostage waiting for a quality game  to come out.
    Here we are in 2016 and the only two games remotely looking playable are COE and Pantheon and any person with common sense realizes that both are BUDGET games meaning don't expect amazing things.

Again sad that there will likely be 50+ online games vying for our dollar and in 2016 none of which will be heart felt big budget games.It is sad because i see a LOT of money floating around,just look at Twitch,they bring in multi millions just from viewing streamed games,then we see a shotty effort by Chris Roberts rolling in 100+ million on an idea a whim,so yeah there is a ton of money out there.

I  "think" is says more about the industry investors and the developers themselves that neither are willing to risk or have confidence in these developers.SO i feel it is VERY obvious,if devs and investors don't have confidence in themselves,why should we?
    Interitus

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    noncley said:

Do you know what game I am talking about? And can you imagine how such a game would do today if it were bug-free and properly supported? 
    Very badly? The masses would prefer shooters and MOBAs anyway. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Not another game like it and no one bothered to copy it either.....
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    Over 20 years later, there's still no game like UO. And pre-trammel, that's not a bad thing. It means game developers have learned from past mistakes.
    Are you basing that on grief play alone?
    What about the rest of the game?

Once upon a time....

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    We should be on 3Rd or 4th generation of the sandbox branch.
    Tsiya
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    "Nearly 20 years" Ultima Online, came out in 97. 
    edited April 2016
    Over 20 years later, there's still no game like UO. And pre-trammel, that's not a bad thing. It means game developers have learned from past mistakes.
    To those of us who enjoyed it, it certainly was no mistake. Were the numbers what the Powers that were wanted to see tied to Star Wars? Probably not, actually most definitely not. In that regard it may have been a mistake. But that mistake was ambition, they wanted a game that did it all, which for the most part it did, their mistake was not being given the time to put the Star Wars (story) in as well.

Even Koster ( who is well known for acknowledging (the mistakes) says pretty much that.

They accomplished a lot of things that would be hard even with current easier to manage tools.  Like it or hate it you have to admit it was an ambitious game, that incorporated a lot of things from PNP gaming, sandbox design as well as what would become the themepark style MMORPG. Yet in a way where all systems revolved around player interaction. That's not an easy feat especially when considering it worked, the players created a community, that was lasting.

I doubt you'll find many MMORPGs, with so many players still keeping in touch even a decade after they left their game. Every server has a strong community presence on the net to this day. 

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    13 years isn't remotely close to 20.

Just sayin.  
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Distopia said:
    To those of us who enjoyed it, it certainly was no mistake. Were the numbers what the Powers that were wanted to see tied to Star Wars? Probably not, actually most definitely not. In that regard it may have been a mistake. But that mistake was ambition, they wanted a game that did it all, which for the most part it did, their mistake was not being given the time to put the Star Wars (story) in as well.

Even Koster ( who is well known for acknowledging (the mistakes) says pretty much that.

They accomplished a lot of things that would be hard even with current easier to manage tools.  Like it or hate it you have to admit it was an ambitious game, that incorporated a lot of things from PNP gaming, sandbox design as well as what would become the themepark style MMORPG. Yet in a way where all systems revolved around player interaction. That's not an easy feat especially when considering it worked, the players created a community, that was lasting.

I doubt you'll find many MMORPGs, with so many players still keeping in touch even a decade after they left their game. Every server has a strong community presence on the net to this day. 
    You misunderstood what I was saying :)
    SWG is basically post-Trammel UO in space (before they ruined it with NG).

Most devs learned 20 years ago that a gankfest doesn't work as a MMORPG. UO before trammel was a recipe of a major failure to happen soon. Some devs sadly try to repeat that failure, but most understood that it just does not work.
    Nah, they just have to be sold as "survivor" games and everything is all good lol...
    Hawkaya399
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Not another game like it and no one bothered to copy it either.....

Because it is not seen as successful enough. If it is drawing WoW or LoL numbers, I am sure there will be clones. 
    Distopia said:

You misunderstood what I was saying :)
    SWG is basically post-Trammel UO in space (before they ruined it with NG).

Most devs learned 20 years ago that a gankfest doesn't work as a MMORPG. UO before trammel was a recipe of a major failure to happen soon. Some devs sadly try to repeat that failure, but most understood that it just does not work.
    My bad then, I do agree with that point.
    MrMelGibson

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I played SWG back in the day - it isn't nearly 20 years old for a start, but I also don't recall player armies being able to invade and seize player cities. Yeh, they could blow up your pvp base if you'd bothered to place one, but that was it. 

Still, I miss SWG and would love a v2.0
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    I like 4X games.  But 20 years and still no one can make a good 4X game like master of magic.  

Why is the genre moving backwards?

Either all the new developer isn't good or not that many people cares to push the genre forward.
  • sazabiussazabius Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Also nothing like the disaster it eventually melted into.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    SWG I think...and yes, wish it could still be played.
    Come back.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Distopia said:
    Distopia said:
    ;)
    ...?

PM me
    @GrumpyHobbit  Better yet   http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/private-emulated-server-discussion

It's legit to discuss here now. Which verison do you want Pre-cu, NGE, or PRe-cu with caveats?

For the former look up SWGemu
    For Nge look up SWGlegends
    For the caveats SWGemu-Bloodfin
    If you want a ruleset that is more like Pre-CU and no wipes check out http://swgreckoning.com/
    It's a smaller community but I find that there is enough people to do content, but it's small enough to make your mark and be known. The Staff are unobtrusive but helpful, and the community is policed so there isn't toxicity.
    MrMelGibson
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Ashen Empires is as close as you can get to Ultima Online. In fact, it does many things better.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    UO is still the best Virtual World available offering the player the most in-depth immersive experience with  the most activities for players To flesh out a living world full of danger and oppurtunity ... imo