Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hearthstone is played MORE than WoW, MMO shooter on top 20 play chart

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/top-core-pc-games-march-divisions-debut/

and I quote:

"Tom Clancy’s The Division, probably one of the most anticipated titles of 2016, was released on March 8th and is now at #13 in our rankings. In Ubisoft’s shooter-MMO, players explore a quarantined Manhattan as Division agents, maintaining order in a city ruled by chaos."

"A very interesting development in March was the increase in the share of World of Warcraft (WoW) players who  also play Hearthstone. Across all countries tracked, the number of gamers who are playing both titles increased by an average of 121%."

"The most notable descent was Diablo 3 which fell out of the charts completely from a #12 position in February. Blizzard’s RPG first entered the rankings in January when Season 5 began.  With Season 5 objectives now completed, players may be waiting for a new season to begin. As such, we expect Diablo to reappear in May’s ranking following the beginning of Season 6 on April 29th. "

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Robokapp said:
    anyone have statistics on minesweeper?
    minesweeper is singleplayer , poker are more multiplayer (and online too)
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Hearthstone is a horrible game...Talk about the masses falling for advertising and marketing.....
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    This just in: MMORPG's are niche and not as popular as other genres.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I played Hearthstone for about six months.

I also was a hardcore CCG player during the 90's.  I played MtG, Netrunner, Legend of the Five Rings, Legends of the Burning Sands, Warcry, Star Wars, Middle Earth, Vampire: Eternal Struggle... I had literally thousands of cards.  It didn't hurt that my grandfather owned a gaming store so I could buy boxes of boosters at cost.

Hearthstone has the tactical and deck building depth of a petri dish.  It's so shallow that it makes the shallow end of the gene pool look like the mariana trench.

It's a shell of a CCG that doesn't even allow players to trade or sell cards.  They had a player cash store for Diablo III which was a terrible decision, but then didn't include one for Hearthstone where it would have been perfect.

The only redeeming thing about this game is that if you really really must play a CCG, then it can be played at any time and just about anywhere you can get wifi.  Otherwise, you're better off getting into a good CCG and playing at your local gaming store.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    These stats are based off of overwolf. Which is a client that not THAT many people actually use. This is like using Xfire or Raptr as a basis for what games are being played the most. It's completely unreliable, and pretty much nonsense to base any opinions off of this. I don't know one person with overwolf installed. 
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited April 2016
    Did you have a point with this thread? There's a thread for xfire posting.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Shaigh said:
    Did you have a point with this thread? There's a thread for xfire posting.
    This is not xfire?

and i thought people actually interested in what games people play. 

Alders said:
    This just in: MMORPG's are niche and not as popular as other genres.
    Corrections: MMORPGs, except WoW, are niche and not as popular as other genres.

MMOs, such as World of Tank and the Division, OTOH, are popular. 
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    edited April 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    I played Hearthstone for about six months.

I also was a hardcore CCG player during the 90's.  I played MtG, Netrunner, Legend of the Five Rings, Legends of the Burning Sands, Warcry, Star Wars, Middle Earth, Vampire: Eternal Struggle... I had literally thousands of cards.  It didn't hurt that my grandfather owned a gaming store so I could buy boxes of boosters at cost.

Hearthstone has the tactical and deck building depth of a petri dish.  It's so shallow that it makes the shallow end of the gene pool look like the mariana trench.

It's a shell of a CCG that doesn't even allow players to trade or sell cards.  They had a player cash store for Diablo III which was a terrible decision, but then didn't include one for Hearthstone where it would have been perfect.

The only redeeming thing about this game is that if you really really must play a CCG, then it can be played at any time and just about anywhere you can get wifi.  Otherwise, you're better off getting into a good CCG and playing at your local gaming store.

I disagree. Hearthstone has only been out for 2 years compared to MtG, which has been out for 20 years.

I'm sure that with time Hearthstone become as deep as MtG.

Personally, I don't want a player-to-player trading system because the current Hearthstone crafting system keeps prices reasonable. In contrast, MtG is a nearly bottomless pit of cost if you want to get really serious (several thousands of pounds easily).

In theory with Hearthstone, you could be the top player without paying a penny. Although this would require a great deal of planning and research.

It's not for everyone, but there's fun to be had for those who can look past its flaws.
    Obviously it is fun for many people. You can't beat WoW that easily. This is just like some here dislike WoW but cannot deny that it is the most successful mmorpg in history of mankind. 
    Robokapp said:

It's not for everyone, but there's fun to be had for those who can look past its flaws.
    Obviously it is fun for many people. You can't beat WoW that easily. This is just like some here dislike WoW but cannot deny that it is the most successful mmorpg in history of mankind. 
    chinese aren't humans or...
    Isn't WoW big in China too?
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    So this is the new X-Fire, huh?  Seems even worse than X-Fire for comparing popularity of games since it doesn't even have in-game apps for every game.

Games like Hearthstone are going to appear very high since the in-game app is very useful (it's a deck tracker).

Not saying people don't play a lot of Hearthstone but this ranking is fairly useless.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I disagree. Hearthstone has only been out for 2 years compared to MtG, which has been out for 20 years.

I'm sure that with time Hearthstone become as deep as MtG.

In theory with Hearthstone, you could be the top player without paying a penny. Although this would require a great deal of planning and research.

Please tell us this is a troll post, or that you forgot to add the /sarcasm tag because if it isn't I really don't know what to say.  
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    And people say there are no popular MMOs out, that list is filled with them.

Minecraft - solid MMO
    CS:GO - still the best MMOFPS
    ARK - a good alternative to the Minecraft MMO if you want more realistic graphics
    The Division - an awesome MMOTPS
    GTAV - also a good MMOTPS
    Battlefield 4 - also a good MMOFPS

All these great options and people are saying MMOs are dead, crazy.

... we are defining an MMO as 20 or more players in an instance? Has the number gone down? should I have included LoL, DOTA2, and HotS as MMOs as well?

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I'm sure more people saw Avatar than most of the best movies in the world.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

I didn't follow the link, but none of your quotes imply there are more people playing Hearthstone than WoW.

Only that the share of folks playing WoW who ALSO play Hearthstone has increased.

I didn't follow the link, but none of your quotes imply there are more people playing Hearthstone than WoW.

Only that the share of folks playing WoW who ALSO play Hearthstone has increased.
    May be you should follow the link. There is a TABLE there, showing just that.

Siris23 said:

... we are defining an MMO as 20 or more players in an instance? Has the number gone down? should I have included LoL, DOTA2, and HotS as MMOs as well?

if you use the definition of this site, you don't need 20 since since of the world of tank games are fewer than 20.

GW2 is not in a bad spot as #9
    Not at all. I believe it sold 3.5M copies right out of the gate in its first month. So I suppose there is some legs on this title. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Too many people do not understand statistics at all.  So instead of saying hmm thats interesting.  They say its impossible to be anywhere near accurate.  You take twitch, xfire, overwolf, raptr, steam and they all basically come up with the same statistics.  Then somehow you claim they are wrong.  Get a grip already before acting like you can properly analyse or project figures at least do some research.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:
    Too many people do not understand statistics at all.  So instead of saying hmm thats interesting.  They say its impossible to be anywhere near accurate.  You take twitch, xfire, overwolf, raptr, steam and they all basically come up with the same statistics.  Then somehow you claim they are wrong.  Get a grip already before acting like you can properly analyse or project figures at least do some research.
    I have a more cynical view. I think they all know that the numbers are valid and informative (although with some noise), but since the conclusions are not what they like, they just claim the numbers are wrong anyway.

Cognitive dissonance in play. 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Hearthstone prints money. Big IP, easy to get into, casual fun, but it's not an engaging CCG/TCG imo. But I don't know why this surprises people, I mean would people be shocked to hear Candy Crush or Clash of Clans has a kajillion players? Of course not. And Hearthstone is definitely in that category of gaming.
    Robokapp said:

3) "Nobody but me understands the silent majority. I am the MMO prophet. I alone have unlocked the mysteries of the silent majority, it is my view that is correct, and all thee who are prideful and do not bow shall be layed low into the dust. Lay down your views and submit to the might of Nariusseldon".

"Understands" ... who is talking about that?

But it is certainly seems true that nobody faces up to data but me. I am not a prophet .. i did not say what happen next year. I am merely saying what is happening in the past. For example, hearthstone is played more than WoW. Blizz is not making new MMORPGs .. are these not facts?

Certainly people should submit to the might of "facts and numbers". Do you dispute that hearthstone is played more than WoW? Do you dispute that Blizz scrapped Titan and made a shooter?
    So what?
    So we know what online games are popular and what not? Given this is a MMO forum, that is fair game.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Robokapp said:

3) "Nobody but me understands the silent majority. I am the MMO prophet. I alone have unlocked the mysteries of the silent majority, it is my view that is correct, and all thee who are prideful and do not bow shall be layed low into the dust. Lay down your views and submit to the might of Nariusseldon".

"Understands" ... who is talking about that?

But it is certainly seems true that nobody faces up to data but me. I am not a prophet .. i did not say what happen next year. I am merely saying what is happening in the past. For example, hearthstone is played more than WoW. Blizz is not making new MMORPGs .. are these not facts?

Certainly people should submit to the might of "facts and numbers". Do you dispute that hearthstone is played more than WoW? Do you dispute that Blizz scrapped Titan and made a shooter?

Ok here is data....

------
    Guy A. Took 5 sh*ts.

Guy B. Took 5 sh*ts.

------

One guy did this over 4 weeks and one guy in 3 days.  The guy who isn't constipated is a lair.  From the above data of sh*ts taken can you tell me which guy is constipated and which one is just full of sh*t?