Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We need a World of Warcraft 2

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    Loke666 said:
    Jerid said:
    WoW was made by ex EQ players who didn't like the direction the game was going.
    EQ came out in 1999, WoW in 2004.  So the longest their development could take would have been 5 years, MMOS these days take that long or longer to build.
    Wildstar took 9 years to fail as hard as it did.
    Indeed, Wow was pinched in '99 by the Warcraft 3 team. When they showed their initial work the board of directors started out with a binder of stuff they wanted included but it upset the team so much that the leading people quit and started ANET. Then Morhaime hired ina EQ guildbuddy as lead developer, Kaplan (the biggest hail Mary in MMORPG history, Kaplan had no experience but was a genius) and the rest is history.

So the earliest ideas was in '99 but they did start full out in early '00 making the effective development time of about 5 years. And your math is wrong BTW. 99-04 is actually 6 years since Wow released november 04.

But Blizzard can of course afford that long time, heck, Diablo 3 had way longer development time even if they scrapped it and started over more than once. I think there will eventually be a Wow 2, we are talking Blizzard here who loves sequels and the game that gave them more money then anything else. But they wont bother starting on it until Wows numbers are below 2 million players.
    Holy crap, so much wrong with this post.

I think the only thing you got right was that WoW development started in 99.

The founders of ArenaNet didn't leave because of WoW, one was the original lead designer of WoW.

WoW starteded development shortly after WC3 by a different team. They were making a sci-fi RTS but they didn't think it was fun so they decided to try a genre they never did before. Sound familiar? Spoiler, I'm talking about Titan/Overwatch.

Kaplan was not friends with Morhaime.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Blizzard needs someone else to first create some new, innovative game designs so they can borrow them, simplify for the masses, and polish it all up to make another huge killing.

They confirmed it themselves by cancelling Titan, they don't actually know how to create a fun MMORPG themeselves.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Question what would bring a WoW2 to the table for the market that's have not been done befor.
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Screw that we are done with WoW give us StarCraft Universe for the next bliz MMORPG :D
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    edited April 2016
    Question what would bring a WoW2 to the table for the market that's have not been done befor.
    A quality MMO with lots of content. A couple of titles launched with quality and quantitiy but not many, although many claimed too.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    WoW was made and had its golden age during a period of economic boom (made 1998-2004, golden age 2004-2008). 

Since the stock market crash in 2008, the world's economies have been subdued.

I think people can be most creative when there is a lot of money about.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Zarriya said:
    A quality MMO with lots of content. A couple of titles launched with quality and quantitiy but not many, although many claimed too.
    There many quality MMO then die off due to lack of player base to keep up the standard. With the lack of quality on World of Warcraft It's not that seen that a World of Warcraft2 would do better. Is not like Blizzard in lack of programmer or funds to better the quality with more content. Just comes down too how much more can do you with out doing same thing over again or start copying ideas from other MMO as it may or may not work.
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Kyleran said:
    Blizzard needs someone else to first create some new, innovative game designs so they can borrow them, simplify for the masses, and polish it all up to make another huge killing.

They confirmed it themselves by cancelling Titan, they don't actually know how to create a fun MMORPG themeselves.
    Not sure who they can copy this time since EQNext was canned.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    I don't think we need a WoW 2 because because you wouldn't be happy with it, at all.  It wouldn't be Vanilla with better graphics, it would be every convenience feature they have added that so many people don't like plus a whole bunch of new convenience features added that would just piss people off more.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Ishkal said:
    Screw that we are done with WoW give us StarCraft Universe for the next bliz MMORPG :D
    I really thought that is what Titan was going to be, until I heard otherwise.  The difficulty with a SCU are the classes.  Who would roll a Zergling?  I always thought of Zergling as three and not one.  I suppose They could be NPCs like Drones.

WoW 2?  I wonder sometimes if all it would take were HD models and textures at the same scales.  I personally think the world scale would also have to be increased.  If they could do a 2x to the world I think that may make it feel like more.  I don't mean scale the world up, meaning trees are 2x their old size.  I mean the area or distance is now 2x as far.  

The sad thing is he number that jumped into my head at first was 10x.  But after some thought I realized that was crazy.  Imagine being in the Orc starting village and having to run 10x the distance to get to that Mine.  At 10x, the Valley of Trials would be 2x the original size of Durotar.  Yeah, that is too big a world map.

I don't know what could be stopping an indie from making a two faction (possibly three) game with 2x the area and HD models and textures.  Of Course the layout would be different and so would all the names and lore.  I can't speak for the IP infringement.  In a court I suppose someone could say, "It may look different but it plays like the original WoW."

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    edited April 2016
    They can make WoW2, but part of the reason so many people keep coming back to WoW 1 is due to each individual players investment in the game already.  A WoW 2 wouldn't get that same crowd jumping in unless their achievements came with them and gave tangible benefits.  

Not that I wouldn't be interested in a WoW2 with a better balance on the GCD, rotations, and roles.  Also, it would let us start on a new Era instead of having to go from one war to another in seemingly the same era.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Kyleran said:

And there are plenty of fun things to copy. They just did a role-based shooter. They have not done a stealth game yet, or an single player adventure, or a FPS.

There are plenty of things they can do. There is no reason to go back to mmorpg again. 

k61977 said:

The people in charge now have no desire to create another MMO to compete with their cash cow they already have.
    Wow is in decline. I doubt that is the reason. It is more reasonable to think that they see shooters, and other type of online games going back, and they no longer believe mmorpg is the way to go. 
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

k61977 said:

The people in charge now have no desire to create another MMO to compete with their cash cow they already have.
    Wow is in decline. I doubt that is the reason. It is more reasonable to think that they see shooters, and other type of online games going back, and they no longer believe mmorpg is the way to go. 
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a Diablo or StarCraft mmo in the next 10 years or so. There's been rumors about D4 or another game based in the Diablo universe in the works based upon positions Blizzard has/had posted semi-recently.

However, with games like Hearthstone, HotS and most likely Overwatch making a killing, I could see Blizzard focusing on games with quicker development cycles.

What I find interesting is the direction Blizzard is taking with their questing system for Legion, with the world quest system and mobs that will adjust to your level, so you could effectively level from 100-110 in one zone. I could see them going back and creating world questing and scaling system for the rest of the game. Which would basically mean that a new player could quest with a friend who is a veteran higher level player without detriment.

This could all just be testing for newer systems in a newer mmo or co-op style game. 
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Kaneth said:

k61977 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Diablo or StarCraft mmo in the next 10 years or so. There's been rumors about D4 or another game based in the Diablo universe in the works based upon positions Blizzard has/had posted semi-recently.

However, with games like Hearthstone, HotS and most likely Overwatch making a killing, I could see Blizzard focusing on games with quicker development cycles.

What I find interesting is the direction Blizzard is taking with their questing system for Legion, with the world quest system and mobs that will adjust to your level, so you could effectively level from 100-110 in one zone. I could see them going back and creating world questing and scaling system for the rest of the game. Which would basically mean that a new player could quest with a friend who is a veteran higher level player without detriment.

This could all just be testing for newer systems in a newer mmo or co-op style game. 
    A levelless game that plays more like an action adventure game is more likely the path of Themeparks or to turn into The Division like games.  I think developers are finally seeing how foolish it is to waste their world on one shot content by having levels.
  • kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Would love to see that tho i doubt they will do that atleast not for atleast 10 years. My oldest 8 and   yongest son  4 did see wow for first time few weeks back since i didnt play for long time and they did keep asking what is that game and they realy did keep asking about it , first time they realy did this most mmorpg they dont react outside that they wanna run around and jump with my mount .

So wow could reach out to enough new players not sure how they do it but for some reason my kids got interested maybe its the art style tho i also played wildstar and they didnt care they must have some special mc Donalds formula to make it click with kids :)
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Kaneth said:

k61977 said:

A levelless game that plays more like an action adventure game is more likely the path of Themeparks or to turn into The Division like games.  I think developers are finally seeing how foolish it is to waste their world on one shot content by having levels.
    I agree 100%. Leveless systems seem to be the way to go, or automatic scaling like GW2. The worst part about starting a mmorpg "late" is the fact that there is so much catching up to do, and even worse, there's tons of content you simply won't see because it's been pushed aside.

Imagine a WoW where every single raid tier could still be relevant. Where every single dungeon could still be relevant. There would be plenty to do.
    Kaneth said:

As you say .. they are focusing on games with a quicker dev cycle.

And why would they bother with MMOs? There are tons of other stuff they can do in the Diablo universe. D4 will be great. Or may be an action game. Heck, D3 itself captures the co-op dungeon crawl much better than mmorpgs. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Amathe said:
    Sadly, Blizzard seems like one of those people who wins a Nobel prize at age 14 and then never does anything noteworthy ever again. 
    What are you talking about?

I'm talking about mmorpgs - not MOBAs or similar efforts. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Amathe said:
    Sadly, Blizzard seems like one of those people who wins a Nobel prize at age 14 and then never does anything noteworthy ever again. 
    What are you talking about?

I'm talking about mmorpgs - not MOBAs or similar efforts. 
    then the analogy is completely off. Blizz is not a mmorpg only company. In fact, they just abandon the genre by scrapping Titan. 

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Kaneth said:

And why would they bother with MMOs? 
    Well, I could be mistaken but I do believe they did (and still are doing) fairly well financially with their MMORPG. Markets change over time and in a decade who knows where we'll be. The real question is are you going to be OK if they made another MMORPG. You're soooo heavily invested in the destruction of MMORPGs that I think many regulars around here might be a little concerned for your well being if such a circumstance were to occur.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    This is one of the most stupid things anyone has ever suggested.

If you have a game that is the market leader, that makes hundreds of millions per year, that every other company is jealous of you would be insane to put it out to pasture and make another game that might or might not be a massive flop.

If you don't like Wow then sad day for you, wow will be around for another 10-20 years.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Kyleran said:

Neither can CCP it seems.....
    Cecropia said:

Well, I could be mistaken but I do believe they did (and still are doing) fairly well financially with their MMORPG. 
    They did. So? Their newest sucesses (D3, and hearthstone) are not mmorpgs. You can as well say they should make more ARPGs, or card games.

mmorpg is more investment, more risk, falling out of gaming trend. So again, why bother? 
  • RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704
    Having recently played both retail & a 1.0 (Vanilla) version, I found the classic experience to be much more enjoyable - even for what's become the mundane things like running a kill quest and especially for things like crawling a dungeon with a group of people.

Why?  Simple....it was more challenging.  

Completing a "kill 20 wombats" quest actually required some management of your mana / health, and even the even level quest mobs presented enough threat that you could die if not careful enough.  Not so much with retail....not for a while as a matter of fact.  Your mana is back to full after a few seconds of being out of combat and even the squishy classes can run haphazardly in the middle of a group of monsters to kill with little risk. 

Even dungeon crawls are painstakingly boring in retail.  Tanks don't have to be good at tanking and healers don't have to be good at healing.  Everything gets burned down with ease - requiring little to no communication & coordination. 

The developers have programmed out most of the challenge (failures) from the experience...making easy mode for over 100 levels just not FUN (if challenge is your sort of thing)

I think the designers have mistaken growing pains in a player's game experience with punishment - which they believe is what drives subscriptions away.

They call it "progress", i call it boiling down the experience to it's lowest common denominator...which eventually amounts to mindlessly pulling a leaver for a reward.....for the better part of 6-8 years!