I'll try and keep this short with just pros/cons. Last time I played was before the free to play move.
1. Graphics (not animation which was always meh) still look great to me, when cranked to max. I don't have any problems at all with them.
2. The classes are all tons of fun, and I love the lore-master. Probably in my top 10, maybe top 5 favorite classes out of all the class based MMOs. A lot of the other classes are pretty unique as well
3. Community on Landroval is great, really friendly atmosphere and events, music, bands all the time.
4. Seems to be a lot to do, and the world is huge, they expanded it a lot
5. Story is still as good as I remember, but it is LOTR :P
6. World atmosphere is still one of the better ones out of MMOs, not too many MMOs top it (Saga of Ryzom is still by far #1)
7. The GMs I notice actually talk in chat with people
8. Had an issue because I guess my account was hacked at one point and banned. Literally within 30 minutes of submitting a ticket, my account was back in running shape. One of the best and fastest supports I've had in an MMO. I'd rate it on par with WoW live chat support
1. You think WoW is easy? LOTRO has got to be the easiest games I've ever played of any game of any genre. Actually I'd rate it as playing a game made for little kids...no actually even a game for little kids is HARDER. Especially if its a learning game (which most little kid games are). LOTRO used to be way harder. I got on my friends level 100 account, and still incredibly easy compared to max level of WoW in WoD. WoW WoD is vastly harder and I thought endgame of WoD was easy as it was. This pretty much puts nail in the coffin for me...literally had a harder time playing a little kid learning game than this.
2. They removed looting? wtf? You do NOT loot at all anymore. You press a button that pops up on bottom right of the screen and gather loot by claiming the items...or
2a. Turn on auto loot and the game almost plays for you!
2b. This really ruins the atmosphere of the game, and it feels so artificial that its 2nd worst change the game has had
3. (this one isn't as a big deal to me, but its still a con) You used to be able to explore and open up areas of the map and it was very fun exploration. I got lost quite a bit and it made the world feel really real and a lot better. Now its all auto explored for you.
4. No one groups anymore, not even for low level dungeons. WoW still has people grouping for dungeons and grouping out in the world, especially more so on PvP servers. But this goes back to how easy LOTRO is
So to sum it up. Classes are my #1
favorite thing about LOTRO, especially loremaster. However, the game is so easy and dumbed down that I think playing it is actually going to make me worse at every other game...
However, the world (outside of auto exploration), quests, atmosphere (and again) classes are top notch as far as MMOs go. And the community (at least on Landroval) is amazing. Just the massive lack of challenge kinda ruins it for me. That and no idea why they removed looting...kinda weird...and like I said, actually not being able to loot and just pressing an artificial button to gather items (or even worse, turning on autoloot). Its so artificial, it completely removes me from the game and makes me not get immersed at all in it.