Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know of a good turn based RPG?

DisantiaDisantia Member UncommonPosts: 50
Looking for a good turn based RPG for PC.  Something  similar to darkest dungeon. Have a bunch of characters you can choose/acquire and lvl/gear them up and go out clear dungeons/stages and have a lobby/town to go back to.  Doesn't matter if its 2d/3d as long as its for PC. Any suggestions?

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Its a Kongregate game but Lionheart Tactics fits that description
    Its a Kongregate game but Lionheart Tactics fits that description...tis f2p but has a cash shop if youre inclined to spend...it isnt p2w either

Atlantica online is still around also...it fits what you are looking for if you want a more hardcore game
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Divinity maybe? Havent played the reboot but the old school original wasnt bad.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited April 2016
    hmm imo the better Kongregate for the op would Monster Den Chronicles ..btw they have a new Monster Den coming soon .. http://www.kongregate.com/games/garin/monsters-den-chronicles

• FourplayFourplay Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Final Fantasy tactics on emulator.
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Disantia said:
    Looking for a good turn based RPG for PC.  Something  similar to darkest dungeon. Have a bunch of characters you can choose/acquire and lvl/gear them up and go out clear dungeons/stages and have a lobby/town to go back to.  Doesn't matter if its 2d/3d as long as its for PC. Any suggestions?

XCOM 2
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2016
    rodarin said:
    Divinity maybe? Havent played the reboot but the old school original wasnt bad.
    Divinity:OS is great, yet it's more of an Open World bread and butter CRPG. A little different than what's being asked for. Yet if games like that are what the OP wants (as they are turn based), Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Age OF Decadence are all great titles to choose from.

I'd also recommend Valyria Chronicles as Well as Xcom: enemy unkown/within, or Xcom2., those seem like they would fit the OP's criteria on a gameplay level.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• SeneriusSenerius Member UncommonPosts: 76
    ff9 just hit steam

We all can only be who we are Nothing more nothing less.

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Mordheim: City of the Damned

http://www.mordheim-cityofthedamned.com/ 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/276810/  if you prefer the steam page. 50% off right now too
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Fire Emblem, though may not be what you're looking for.
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    edited April 2016
    I've gotten back into Disgaea again.. Its a port from a PS2? i believe. loved it back then and love it now.   its on steam.   battles are set up like final fantasy tactics.   but there is a lot to the leveling system, and you can create new characters to go with you on you journey, 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Baldurs Gate.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited April 2016
    Shadowrun if you're into cyberpunk TBS. Also Invisible Inc if you prefer a stealth team based TBS.

If you're into trying oldies out get the best, Planescape Torment.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    atlantica online for mmorpg.  It is really pay to win though.

some old console game you can play with emulator.  Like final fantasy tactic.  Or even pokemon.

I'm currently playing Might and Magic X Legacy.  Just started.
  • SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    DMKano said:
    xcom series is fantastic
    It is, but that's a strategy game not RPG.

-----------
    "something similar to darkest dungeon"

I have not played it so can't help, but from quick research what DD is, it might be hard to find very similar types of RPG.

My recommendation of good turn based RPG:

Relatively new:

- Divinity: Original Sin

Soon upcoming:

- Divinity: Original Sin 2
    - Torment Tides of Numenera

Old, but good:

Fallout 1& Fallout 2

• MouzziMouzzi Member CommonPosts: 8
     Divinity: Original Sin is pretty decent, and it got a lots of good comments, not just my own opinion. You should try it.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    just adding Banner Saga to the list :D
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Divinity original sin.Brilliant game.Also wasteland 2,might and magic legacy.The last one being tile movement(not sure what else to call it).Loved the last one especially because I had never played a game like that before.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Mouzzi said:
     Divinity: Original Sin is pretty decent, and it got a lots of good comments, not just my own opinion. You should try it.
    Quite enjoying DOS EE myself especially with the speed mod which lets you walk faster. 

It doesn't make combat easier or anything like that btw it just allows your characters to go from point A to B faster.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Might and magic 10 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited April 2016
    There's also Blackguard wait for a sale on Steam I got it for like 5 Euros.

I found it quite difficult especially those slug like things and having to plan your attacks with looting the boxes before they get destroyed or closing holes to prevent those  things from coming out and overwhelming you.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/249650/
    Chamber of Chains
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Sulaa said:
    DMKano said:
    xcom series is fantastic
    It is, but that's a strategy game not RPG.
    Xcom is kinda a mix, it do have RPG elements with a story, interaction with npcs and progression. It's main gameplay is of course the tactical combat (who reminds me a lot of the tabletop game "Infinity", and yeah, I know U.F.O: enemy unknown invented it).