Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO review from a noobs point of view. A fresh start!

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
edited April 2016 in Lord of the Rings Online
Hi everyone!

This is my first review for Lord of the Rings Online.  I have not done a game review in a long time.  So, like the game.  This is a refreshing moment for me as well.

I will tell you I played LOTRO many years ago in 2010.  I never made it past level 12.  Moved on to RIFT at the time.  So as far as my noobness goes.  I am definitely a noob to LOTRO.

I started LOTRO about 6 days ago.  Started fresh as I did not remember the account name I used back then.  I started as a free to play player.  At the time I was not sure if I was going to continue with LOTRO or move on to the newest fad title  Black desert.  That is when I created the LOTRO vs BDO post at this site.

Initially, as a F2P player you are quite limited.  The biggest reason I stuck around was the immersion.  I cannot profess how much immersion this game really has.  A serious story compared to most other mmo's out.  Well after reading some of the other views on LOTRO.  I decided to go all out.  I do not mind paying some money to a game if the benefits outweigh the cons.  In this case, it overwhelmingly did so.

I bought my VIP account.  Spent a additional 27 dollars on coins.  Bought shared storage, and account wide mounts.  I decided I was going to make 7 characters.  All a different class and different set of professions.  I am  leveling them equally.  So I do not miss anything on my way up.  I have not been disappointed.

Many older and veteran players probably do not see my view of LOTRO the same.  As they have played this game for years.  While this is my first time experiencing the content and the full game. For me, I am just offering my fresh experience to a older title.

I am dividing this review into two.  As it is too large to cover all of it.

So now off to the review.

The World:  What can I say,  from the introduction to where I am now.  Middle earth is teaming with life. vibrant and immersive.  A beautifully crafted world with a story of its own.  Towns that have its own atmosphere.  Greeting any newcomer with a sense of awe.  I never thought I would see this in a mmo.  But LOTRO's world is alive and full of adventure.

There are many dangers as well as places to explore.  The LOTRO world is vast and huge.  As a very experienced mmo player. The world that is full of life is also very huge.  To the point that I know I will not have seen its entirety even if I cap out in level.  Each place I visit has a unique and live quality.  From the Haud Din and its undead to the brigands of the Blackwold that meet you on the outskirts of Bree.  Each location is unique, flavorful and offers its own adventure.

This game has been around for 10 years.  The graphics are that of a older mmo.  But, that said.  LOTRO is still very beautiful and has its own charm. Each pixel almost seems handcrafted for that one scene.  A true masterpiece.

Characters:  LOTRO offers nine classes.  As well as 4 base races with sub-races within each one.  There are also many professions to choose from.  Each class has its own set of skills,abilities and traits.  There are many of them and I am just breaking the surface of what they are.  Some skills you gain as you level up.  Others you gain from quests and or deeds(Accomplishments you gain during gameplay).  Also each race and sub-class race have abilities and or skills given. 

I would go into each class but it would take a long time just to share information about each.  So will keep it simple.  Each class has its own style and set abilities.  Completely different from other classes.  That teamed with gear make your character have its own identity.  I have not seen a single player in this game that is alike. As many mmos do.  Cookie cutter does not exist in LOTRO.

Gameplay:  This is where LOTRO shows its age.  Ever play WOW? Or any of its predecessors? Yes LOTRO uses the tab/target feature that so many other mmos offer. But it is solid.  Monsters/Mobs will aggro and chase you if you get to close.  If others are with that monster they may join in.
The game uses a mini map.  If you see red dots on your map they usually mean aggressive monsters.  That will help you avoid encounters you do not necessarily want to meet.

Travel in LOTRO can be a arduous task.  Especially if you do not have a horse.  Like I said LOTRO's world is huge  Travel from one area to another can be a burden if doing so on foot.  But getting a horse or playing one of the two classes that give movement enhancement helps. I recommend a horse.  You can get the horse quest at level 20 as VIP or buy a horse and skills associated with it from the LOTRO store.  I recommend the account wide mounts.

There are many quests in LOTRO.  So many that you will out level many of them.  You sometimes will find quests in out of the way places. Often away from the quest hubs/towns.  they are often very rewarding.  So far most of my valuable gear has come from quests.  Although some items do drop from monsters or chest.  Do not expect them often early on.

This is Part 1 of my LOTRO review.  I still have much to share.

What we have covered!
World: 10

Characters: 9

Gameplay: 8.5

See the rest on my continuation review of Lord Of The Rings Online

Post edited by xpowderx on

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I'm glad you're having fun, cool review.
    Few edit :wink:  It's not 10 years, game will be 9 years old in a couple days.
    Not 9 classes, with the beorning it's 10. (also technically a 5th race... as HL mocked it in his video, a beorning beorning :lol: )
    Subscription is really good for a start, later when you're more familiar with the model you can drop it and continue for free if you like.

7 characters, one for each crafting vocation is a great idea, if you like to have many alts. (I too have a full set on the servers I play)
    Crafting has lot of interdependencies, to help driving the market and build a crafter community, but if you can craft anything, it's surely easier :wink:

Steeds, account-wide riding skill: very useful if you have lots of alts. Before buying one, snoop around, there were plenty of giveaways a year ago, on most sites. There's a chance a few unused keys are still floating around.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Glad you are enjoying your time in the game.  I just recently returned myself about a week ago.  I always choose to make a new alt when I return. 

Just a side note make sure to find out what deeds are in the areas you are in and do them, some can be tedious but it gives free cash shop money to complete them.

The game begins to change somewhat once you reach Moria but it is still fun. 

The biggest issue is if you want to do all the areas on one account, which you have already said you are not so it want effect you, is out-leveling content.  Other than that I love playing the game myself.  Once you get to the level of trying to run dungeons it would be simpler to find a fellowship that still runs old content.  There are many of them out there.

Good luck, have fun.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Heck,I dont have any idea what level dungeon is for where.  I will learn along the way.

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Nice review. I'd have mentioned that you get a token for a 24 hour mount when you leave the starter area. That's useful for people who haven't bought the account riding skills and don't want to wait to level 20. There are also semi regular free packs from MMO sites that give all your characters a basic mount and riding skill from the start, though I don't know if any are up right now.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    hmmm.. i might give this one a try. i'm not a fan of the current trend of  "action combat" and so far the only games i've enjoyed have been good ol tab target or some kind of hybrid.

my question though. for someone who's not that into the lord of the rings.. would i still be able to enjoy it?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

hmmm.. i might give this one a try. i'm not a fan of the current trend of  "action combat" and so far the only games i've enjoyed have been good ol tab target or some kind of hybrid.

my question though. for someone who's not that into the lord of the rings.. would i still be able to enjoy it?
    I think you would.  I am a Star Wars fan above all else.  I have been enjoying it immensely.  I look at it in this perspective.  George Lucas created the entire Star Wars genre from the inspiration of J.R.R Tolkiens books.

The Empire= Sauron/Mordor

The Rebels= well you know.. Frodo, Legolas ect

a few against many.

The rings= The force..
    edited April 2016
    Ppiper said:
    can you solo story line quests that used to require a party? 
    I think they toned it down a bit over time. It seems that things that kicked my butt in 2010(part of the reason I left back then). Do not do so now. Whether it is mmo experience or toned down.  im not sure.
  • wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Ppiper said:

the game bolsters your level for several quests and such now if you are not in a group.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The only way to enjoy this game is as a VIP. Like SWTOR the f2p model is one of the worse.
    edited April 2016
    Hariken said:
    The only way to enjoy this game is as a VIP. Like SWTOR the f2p model is one of the worse.
    On the contrary... it's one of the most flexible models out there. Lots of players are playing totally free, there are whole kins for that. That was one of the reasons behind the switches in the last year, to give more boons into the VIP and making it more appealing.
    Depends, what you seek beyond the tab-target. Without the lore it's still a huge and nicely done game with fun classes, great dungeons and raids (though I like AoC's offer in this matter better), and above that all, a great community. Large world to explore, cosmetics and roleplay, player events - or if you're from the other breed of mmo gamers, there's a pvp scene, and a massive endgame grind :lol:
    Ppiper said:
    You can, there's a buff called IG (Inspired Greatness, a.k.a. godmode buff). All the story parts which were group-only, now has a solo version, so when you reach such a point, you can choose whether you go alone, or gather a group. If you pick the solo option, you will get the buff.
    (truth to be told, it's not always "easy", depending on your class. For example a 6-man quest, with lots of adds, if you're a single-target build... that's tough even with the buff. But hey, it's only solo, nobody said it's also faceroll :wink: )
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Po_gg said:
    Hariken said:
    On the contrary... it's one of the most flexible models out there. Lots of players are playing totally free, there are whole kins for that. That was one of the reasons behind the switches in the last year, to give more boons into the VIP and making it more appealing.
    Depends, what you seek beyond the tab-target. Without the lore it's still a huge and nicely done game with fun classes, great dungeons and raids (though I like AoC's offer in this matter better), and above that all, a great community. Large world to explore, cosmetics and roleplay, player events - or if you're from the other breed of mmo gamers, there's a pvp scene, and a massive endgame grind :lol:
    Ppiper said:
    You can, there's a buff called IG (Inspired Greatness, a.k.a. godmode buff). All the story parts which were group-only, now has a solo version, so when you reach such a point, you can choose whether you go alone, or gather a group. If you pick the solo option, you will get the buff.
    (truth to be told, it's not always "easy", depending on your class. For example a 6-man quest, with lots of adds, if you're a single-target build... that's tough even with the buff. But hey, it's only solo, nobody said it's also faceroll :wink: )
    beyond the combat i seek an enjoyable leveling experience.. as i prefer to explore the world before i hit level cap... then it's mostly the pvp that draws me in.  

I had fun once, it was terrible.

edited April 2016
    beyond the combat i seek an enjoyable leveling experience.. as i prefer to explore the world before i hit level cap... then it's mostly the pvp that draws me in.  
    Well, there's two* leveling routes, the regular questing (lots and lots of questing, some questlines are awesome even without the lore tie-ins, some are funny, the rest is pretty generic),
    and the skirmish grind (fast route, grinding level-scaled instances which give large chunks of xp).

If you choose the questing, which is the slower, you will still level fast enough to over-level every zone you're in, so in this meaning you will reach the cap first, and only then reach to the end of the world, with exploring everything. But if you mean gates, then sure, you can explore everything before hitting the cap, no gating at all - until you have high level bodyguards :lol:  Heck, we took level 10 hobbits to Isengard, back in Sapience's days! And also level 1 chickens.

PvMP is quite fun, and there are avid pvp-addict players in game. I'm not one of them, I don't like pvp personally, so can't really comment that part (only played a couple weeks, total, over the years. And mostly just on the creep side). I know there are players who play only the PvMP part of LotRO, so it can't be that bad.

*edit: crafting gives xp as well, but level up purely by crafting... I don't think it's viable. Technically it is, maybe... over 10-15 years :wink: 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Buying a Lifetime sub to this game at the start was the best gaming decision I ever made. I remember agonizing for a month about should I or shouldn't I.  I took the plunge and never regretted it.

I actually offered to buy a friend a life sub but they needed heating oil that winter.  To this day they tell me they wish they went cold that winter and bought the lifetime sub. 
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    You can absolutely play the game as a new player. As others have said, there are solo versions of the story quests if you can't find a group, and many of the instances and skirmishes scale to a selectable level. Also, any half decent kinship will craft some good gear for you, and kitted out with appropriate crafted gear is more than good enough for anything at your level, even one or two above it.
    Athisar said:
    Also, any half decent kinship will craft some good gear for you, and kitted out with appropriate crafted gear is more than good enough for anything at your level, even one or two above it.
    Yep, that happens a lot, I think on Laurelin there's a weekly event in MD (hobbit main town) for gearing up newbies. You just passing by and they will throw cool, level-appropriate gear at you :wink:

Also, newbie crafters don't afraid to ask around for tools if you're annoyed carrying 3 crafting tools (one for each profession) and switching between them all the time: there's an universal crafting tool in the store, but metalsmiths can also craft a bit weaker version - still great, because you don't have to switch them anymore. Convenience for the win. Friendly metalsmiths make one to you as a gift.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    If you do the kill deeds in the starter areas you get quite a few TP. Theyre pretty fast I think 90 total for each mob, been awhile since I dd them. You also get TP for discovering all the special spots on those maps too. I think you can get like 600 TP doing all the easy to get mob kill deeds and discovery deeds in the first 3 areas...Bree, Erid Luin and the Shire. Plus those also give traits.

Only problem with that is you out level stuff pretty fast, but you do that anyway.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited April 2016
    I played when the game first game out but other games pulled me away.  Every once in awhile I do login and adventure a little.  It's still a good game but doesn't hold my interest.

SWG would have done better if they had done like this game did.  Instead of adding high wizards to play they added general magic users.  SWG should have added force sensitives but not player Jedi.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Honestly surprised this game is still going.  IMO for whatever reason Turbine dropped the ball on everything after Mines of Moria.

Nonetheless I have lots of fond memories of this game.  In some ways it's a real gem.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Torval said:
    If you're worried about out-leveling content you can buy an xp locker from the store for around a dollar.
    Buy an exp locker? :)

I remember in Warcraft I used to go to this NPC in Orgri..
    There's an item in the store called a 'Sigel of the Turtle'.  With it equiped you don't gain XP.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

Oh, just wanted to add.  Anytime you buy anything with LOTRO using "real" money. Points, VIP ect.  Your account instantly becomes a Premium membership account for life. Here is a chart to show you the differences. https://www.lotro.com/en/Full-VIP-Chart
    Nebless said:
    Torval said:
    If you're worried about out-leveling content you can buy an xp locker from the store for around a dollar.
    Buy an exp locker? :)

I remember in Warcraft I used to go to this NPC in Orgri..
    There's an item in the store called a 'Sigel of the Turtle'.  With it equiped you don't gain XP.
    I think coretex poked about the buying part :wink: which is indeed a bit odd, out of the historical context.

The game always had plenty of xp, but since the f2p switch it received even more, so the voices about an xp disabler got louder and louder.
    Up to the point when Turbine said, well, if you want to disable xp gain this much, we can maybe earn some extra money from it - and they gave us the option, but not as a toggle, instead a store item. And since the xp amount in the game is so huge, the Turtle Stone became an instant get purchase.

So yep, coretex, that's how we roll in Middle-earth, we buy our xp locker :lol: 
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I would also check out http://www.lotrointerface.com/index.php for a few addons.

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=663 makes it easy to install and update plugins.

This one is my favorite skin http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info651-JRRAzureGlass.html

Hugebag is a nice one http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info891-HugeBagv1.13.66Patchfor135Slots.html

Then you have Moormap http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info532-MoorMap.html

They are old but they all work and make the game better. But I do have couple of characters they aren't loaded on. The skin is a good visual.

Then sweetfx does make the game even better looking.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?537729-LOTRO-SweetFX-and-you-A-tale-of-pretty-sunsets-and-lush-foliage

But over all with or without plugins and sweetfx it is a game I always keep active. I really regret not paying the 200 dollars for lifetime sub. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

Brenics said:
    I would also check out http://www.lotrointerface.com/index.php for a few addons.

http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=663 makes it easy to install and update plugins.

This one is my favorite skin http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info651-JRRAzureGlass.html

Hugebag is a nice one http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info891-HugeBagv1.13.66Patchfor135Slots.html

Then you have Moormap http://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info532-MoorMap.html

They are old but they all work and make the game better. But I do have couple of characters they aren't loaded on. The skin is a good visual.

Then sweetfx does make the game even better looking.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?537729-LOTRO-SweetFX-and-you-A-tale-of-pretty-sunsets-and-lush-foliage

But over all with or without plugins and sweetfx it is a game I always keep active. I really regret not paying the 200 dollars for lifetime sub. 
    Mam ohh man,thanks for the info!  I am sure to use the big bag!
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    One other semi groundbreaking system in the game is the player made music and instruments. EVERY RPG type game should have a system, like that. I am not even a big R P guy but I had a folder full of songs to play when I was bored.
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Honestly surprised this game is still going.  IMO for whatever reason Turbine dropped the ball on everything after Mines of Moria.

Nonetheless I have lots of fond memories of this game.  In some ways it's a real gem.
    I wouldn't say Turbine completely dropped the ball and I don't put all the blame on them, I'm sure WB had a hand in it as well. That being said, the game is still a good MMO and one of the better ones out there and that's why its still going.