Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the game economy already "live"?

Comments

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    CrazKanuk said:

Just for the record, it's highly unlikely that CR said "I believe this can be done so I'm going to do it." 

Remember that they have, basically, the entire Crytek team working for CIG, including former lead developers and system architects. If it actually is an impossibility, I'm sure these people never said anything, and I'm sure CR would have leaned on them heavily for feedback on the concept. 

The Crytek team wasn't on board when most of the claims were made. Almost all the claims were made during the funding state. If anything, they are left to create what CR said HE could before they were even around, regardless of viability.

They weren't brought on board until much later when Crytek defaulted, had to restructure, and shut down some of their studios. They don't have the whole Crytek team working for them by any stretch. Crytek just released another version of their engine and are currently working on two games and one game/application each for Sony and Oculus VR. Most of the former Crytek folk were likely scavenged from the restructure and studio shut downs. It hit the UK, Austin, and Frankfurt offices hardest. Exactly where CIG set up shop. Frankfurt lost some people. The UK and Austin offices went defunct. They were both game dev studios, not the engine. 

That whole buying out the Crytek studio thing was just another overstatement. Or, at best, a flying rumor that never got dispelled as it was favorable. They bought the license for the engine outright and had a few people who had worked in it on board. Huge difference. YUGE! 
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    edited April 2016
    Yeah everyone is crazy but the SC backers and developers, also let's not forget CR the brains behind it all. Plus we can't leave out Sandi who can't act and was behind the whole funding for this 111m bucks. But I do have one small question and I hope you guys that attack in every post can give me a real answer.

Why the hell would they need to spend backer money on this. > 

I really hope our gaming sites start waking up and find out why stuff like this is needed for making a game. Start asking CR the hard questions and ask to see the work people say they have behind the doors! 

Oh notice the expensive sofa when door opens. WoW!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    It's not only Derek Smart asking questions about SC.  I had the same questions about this project long before I even knew who he was.  He just gave a voice to the many many people that looked objectively at what CIG was actually delivering and said '...huh?'

I nearly backed SC myself at the hangar stage.  It looked really cool.  But as the ridiculous list of stretch goals continued it seemed obvious to me that something was wrong.  The scope of what was being proposed could not be delivered.  My job is to fix software projects that have become so broken they are on the point of being canned and so I'm very familiar with the banana skins that dev teams can slip over on.  At the time I thought 'wow they must have one hell of a project plan and amazing management if they are to pull this off'.

unfortunately it became quickly apparent that they don't have a plan or amazing management, particularly around quality and scope control.  And architecture.  And delegation / empowerment. And cost control.

With my EYES it was obvious that they are in a death spiral and have shown few signs of being able to a) admit it and b) think their way out of it.

they are selling jpegs to pay to develop the ships they previously sold as other jpegs, then they need to sell further jpegs to pay for the previous ones ad infinitum.  It takes on the appearance of a Ponzi scheme therefore.

using my own EYES again I can see no resemblance between what they have been selling and what they are delivering. The characters in Half Life 2 looks more visually impressive than SC.  

Mny own EYES again tell me that their underlying tech is not capable of supporting a vast scale space game.  Hilariously the white knights seem OK with instancing - it goes against everything a massive space game should be but they don't allow themselves to think critically about it.

I don't now or ever did need Derek Smart to point this stuff out.  Keep focussing on him and keep missing the point.

think critically about this project.  

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Brenics said:
    Yeah everyone is crazy but the SC backers and developers, also let's not forget CR the brains behind it all. Plus we can't leave out Sandi who can't act and was behind the whole funding for this 111m bucks. But I do have one small question and I hope you guys that attack in every post can give me a real answer.

I really hope our gaming sites start waking up and find out why stuff like this is needed for making a game. Start asking CR the hard questions and ask to see the work people say they have behind the doors! 

Wonder how many jpeg ships they had to sell to pay for that door!

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Shodanas said:
    Derek ripped the game in his blog, they banned him and gave him a refund even though he did not originally ask for one. That is what started the whole public DS fight with CIG. He got banned and refunded for writing a blog. Let that sink in.
    DS did quite more than just writing a blog. He even went as far as promoting LoD using CIG's platform. Let that sink in.

Dare I ask for links to the forum threads where he promoted LOD on the RSI website?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2016
    Brenics said:

Wonder how many jpeg ships they had to sell to pay for that door!
    It's things like that that make me question the notion they're out of money, because how will that look if they run out of money? They'd have to be straight up morons to be spending on things like that if they're hurting for funds, as well as in danger of not completing the project. They'd be leaving a visible trail of incompetence, a failure to prioritize, and a number of other damning things. It's just too stupid of a thing to do in such a situation.  

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:

It's things like that that make me question the notion they're out of money, because how will that look if they run out of money? They'd have to be straight up morons to be spending on things like that if they're hurting for funds, as well as in danger of not completing the project. They'd be leaving a visible trail of incompetence, a failure to prioritize, and a number of other damning things. It's just too stupid of a thing to do in such a situation.  

You underestimate the power of the dark side
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Yes they would Distopia!
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2016
    Yes they would Distopia!
    frostymug said:

So if the project fails, do the backers get to take their 100 millon in rage out on cig offices, with sledgehammers? The person who pledged the most gets first shot at that door.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    Yes they would Distopia!
    frostymug said:

So if the project fails, do the backers get to take their 100 millon in rage out on cig offices, with sledgehammers? The person who pledged the most gets first shot at that door.

Execute Order 111
    Distopia said:
    Yes they would Distopia!
    frostymug said:

They get 10 minutes alone with Chris in a room with no cameras, sound proofed and comes equipped with all manner of knives and bludgeons.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    frostymug said:

That whole buying out the Crytek studio thing was just another overstatement. Or, at best, a flying rumor that never got dispelled as it was favorable. They bought the license for the engine outright and had a few people who had worked in it on board. Huge difference. YUGE! 
    25 Crytek experts stationed in Frankfurt in a studio established for this purpose by CIG is much more than "a few people" as you put it.

Huge difference. HUGE.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Shodanas said:
    25 Crytek experts stationed in Frankfurt in a studio established for this purpose by CIG is much more than "a few people" as you put it.

Huge difference. HUGE.
    With Crytek Frankfurt office nearby:

http://www.crytek.com/career/studios/overview/frankfurt

Crytek Frankfurt
    Grüneburgweg 16-18
    60322 Frankfurt am Main
    Germany

CIG Foundry 42 Germany
    Address: Europa-Allee 52, 60327 Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Have fun

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Erillion said:
    Shodanas said:

Huge difference. HUGE.

What is a "crytek expert" and what qualifications/certifications does one have? Apparently they're not 25 software engineers.
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Erillion said:
    Shodanas said:

Huge difference. HUGE.

What is a "crytek expert" and what qualifications/certifications does one have? Apparently they're not 25 software engineers.
    I guess @Shodanas means a CryEngine expert.

Qualifications: In depth knowledge of the CryEngine.

Have fun
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Brenics said:

The mural in the background really brings the room together.

I'd feel better about this if they actually had a working product and were in the black.  This just looks too much like they are building Star Tours instead of building a game.

/2c

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Erillion said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Erillion said:
    Shodanas said:

Huge difference. HUGE.

I guess @Shodanas means a CryEngine expert.

Qualifications: In depth knowledge of the CryEngine.

Have fun
    In what manner(s) specifically are we to understand these 25 people have been contributory? Apparently, they've been working with an engine, for the past how ever long, that could not do what was being "sold". Major alterations need major solutions, and these 25 experts couldn't tell this 5 months ago?
    Adjuvant1 said:
    In what manner(s) specifically are we to understand these 25 people have been contributory? Apparently, they've been working with an engine, for the past how ever long, that could not do what was being "sold". Major alterations need major solutions, and these 25 experts couldn't tell this 5 months ago?
    If you truely want an answer you have a task:  Ask them .....

I posted their adress above.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    If you truely want an answer you have a task:  Ask them .....

I posted their adress above.

Have fun
    What if some number of them say they knew there was more work needed for that, but collected a paycheck, messing about with this current "alpha".

What if they tell me they had no clue about any of this server fps thing. Which one is an expert?
    edited April 2016
    What if .... you really asked them instead of talking about it ? 

The forum has an "Ask a Dev" section with thousands of dev answers. 

Have fun
    edited April 2016
    Erillion said:
    What if .... you really asked them instead of talking about it ? 

The forum has an "Ask a Dev" section with thousands of dev answers. 

Have fun
    What other choices are there, they knew or they didn't know?

What is asking them in "ask a dev" going to prove? Why did you even type it?

edit: You know they're not going to answer "why didn't 25 cryengine experts know the game still needed significant back-end work when you tried pushing this "2.0 alpha" on us when there's no way this application can currently do what you've been selling"?

You won't know until you tried. 

Have fun
    Shodanas said:
    frostymug said:

Huge difference. HUGE.
    "HAD a few people" as in at the time of the claims of what could be done. That is what the discussion was about. So when was the Frankfurt office created? And when were the claims of what was going to be done made? 

For the purposes of your argument and adding the context in which my statement was made, Crytek "HAD" roughly 700 employees in 2014. Even all of 25 people is still far, far closer to "a few people" than "basically, the entire Crytek team"

My hyperbole can beat up your hyperbole
    Erillion said:

Have fun

I'm sure @Adjuvant1 ;question would be well received. Probably get closed for violating a forum rule and then account suspended for spreading FUD
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

I'm sure @Adjuvant1 ;question would be well received. Probably get closed for violating a forum rule and then account suspended for spreading FUD
    Revolution number 9