Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nostalgia for Vanilla - Will Blizzard Give In?

Comments

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I don't think Blizzard will give in. Even worse, I would imagine that even if they had been considering, the DDOS would have changed their mind - now if they implement it, it may send the signal that people can just bully them into getting their way.

I would love to see legacy servers myself. If only I'd known about Nostralius before it was shut down.

<3

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2016
    GladDog said:
    Diabhual said:
    @ gladdog this probably cost blizzard as much as a non profit p server... IT needs to get paid, CS needs to get paid, investments that now have to be redirected into security research, fixing the holes that let these people into their system in the first place, then onto upgrading redesign of a better way to provide DDoS protection, legal action against the culprit, all the plus time invested = $$
    My point was that the hackers ended up hurting the wrong target.  They were likely after the highest tier of Blizzard to 'make them suffer' for who knows what, but all they did was make the lowest tiers of employees work their asses off to solve the problem.  And if any money was lost it was made up by laying off employees from those lowest tiers, forcing their co-workers to work like slaves to make up for their absence.

The chief execs they were trying to piss off did not lose a minute's worth of sleep, or a penny off of their bonus checks.  The only ones that the hackers hurt were the $12 and $14 USD per hour employees that are easy to take out of the money equation.
    The unfortunate reality is that, short of a whistleblower reporting grievous wrongdoings by the so called "fat cats" at Activision Blizzard, nothing will have a real effect on those folks.  If Blizzard begins to crash and burn, they'll just cut losses and run already having made enough to recreate a similar situation for themselves elsewhere.

Capitalism has a few boons...  The benefits of being in the middle or lower class of a capitalistic society is not one of them.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    waynejr2 said:
    You kids who want this should gather as a group and put some money up for this.  Get someone to talk to blizzy and prove a real dollar amount to entice them to do it.  Money talks.
    I'm 40 years old.  The inaccurate condescending to my supposed age does nothing to support the position that vanilla servers aren't a good idea.  They are a good idea because there are a lot of people who want to play on them.  And many of them are even adults with wallets, like myself.

I am 56. you are a kid to me.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    edited April 2016
    waynejr2 said:
    waynejr2 said:
    You kids who want this should gather as a group and put some money up for this.  Get someone to talk to blizzy and prove a real dollar amount to entice them to do it.  Money talks.
    I'm 40 years old.  The inaccurate condescending to my supposed age does nothing to support the position that vanilla servers aren't a good idea.  They are a good idea because there are a lot of people who want to play on them.  And many of them are even adults with wallets, like myself.

I am 56. you are a kid to me.
    But you're a kid at heart.  So that makes everyone involved in this conversation a kid!   :p
  • sedatedkarmasedatedkarma Member UncommonPosts: 181
    edited April 2016
    100.000 signatures and still growing, roughly 1,000 an hour. The BBC, an international publication picked up the story and Blizz still hasn't commented back.
    Happily playing Vanilla and BC WoW, again, since September 2016.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    100.000 signatures and still growing, roughly 1,000 an hour. The BBC, an international publication picked up the story and Blizz still hasn't commented back.
    100,000 or one million, it really makes no difference, it's a matter of where Blizzard's business strategy lay. IF they have no plans nor want to amend those plans to include it, they won't. Like I said in another thread, services and products are not democratic entities. It's essentially making a demand to be the focus of a businesses attention, no one is obligated to meet such a demand, that's part of free trade.

Where they want to focus their attention is something they should be able to decide on their own. People shouldn't have an expectation of forcing their hand on such an issue, that's just juvenile. 

All of this depends on their intentions for WOW over the course of the next few years, for all we know they could have their own F2P/B2P formula in mind for the not so distant future, anything is possible in that regard. What's being asked for here could quite simply interfere with their own plans for their own property. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    After seeing first hand Warlords of Draenor, I'm more than happy to go back to vanilla wow over this.  The game is so busy telling you where you should go all the time and what to do (especially garrisons), that you don't ever feel like you are in control of your character anymore.   Call me old fashioned, but I enjoyed the simplicity and not being swept up in world shaking events every x-pack.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

And do tell sage one.... What is the conversion rate of these people over to customers paying a monthly subscription...? 

This have been a good conversation

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Horusra said:
    danwest58 said:
    Horusra said:
    from Blizzard's forums it made people rally to Blizzard not against them.
    While I do not support the hackers, they can all go to hell for all I care.  The people on the Blizzard Forums are kool aid drinkers.  Blizzard could delete all their accounts and force people to buy WOW a new and level again, and the people on the forums would love blizzard for it.  Sorry the Blizzard forums are filled with people that have tunnel vision and refuse to consider someone else's perspective.  

The last part of your comment would apply to people wanting Blizzard to allow Legacy servers. 

If the attack was about Legacy servers then the hope would have been that people currently playing Blizzard games would start to complain to them about giving in so that they can play their games in peace, but that did not happen.
    No, I agree danwest58's assessment.  Blizzard forums are filled with sycophants and not really a good place to gauge support for either side of this issue.
    @SedrynTyros ;
    Yep and the funny thing was that was always the case.  People use to talk all the time on the forums about how hard WOW is and they pay their $15 so why shouldnt they be allowed to see the content even if they have not put the effort to get there.  What do we have now?  LFD/LFR and very easy content that these people are bored of after 2 months and crying they dont have content for 14 months.  This is the core of why WOW is in a steep of a decline as they are.  Yes they would have had some decline but not as bad as it has been because there are people that would have played the expansions and liked them if they were still very close to the content we played in the first 4 years.

The problem is blizzard employees like their asses kissed so they listen to these people.  
    @danwest58 ;

Is it windy all way up there on your high horse..... 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited April 2016
    danwest58 said:
      This is the core of why WOW is in a steep of a decline as they are.  Yes they would have had some decline but not as bad as it has been because there are people that would have played the expansions and liked them if they were still very close to the content we played in the first 4 years.
    There has been no game with the success that WoW had in North America so how exactly are you making these observations when you have no evidence to back it up. You are just making things up to suit your agenda with nothing but your assertion to back it up.

Chamber of Chains
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    edited April 2016
    cheyane said:
    danwest58 said:
      This is the core of why WOW is in a steep of a decline as they are.  Yes they would have had some decline but not as bad as it has been because there are people that would have played the expansions and liked them if they were still very close to the content we played in the first 4 years.
    There has been no game with the success that WoW had in North America so how exactly are you making these observations when you have no evidence to back it up. You are just making things up to suit your agenda with nothing but your assertion to back it up.

Here is your evidence Cheyane:

source : http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/5063-WoW-Down-to-5-6-Million-Subscribers

Dan's quote is spot on for me. Had they kept that same gameplay they had in the first 4 years I would have kept playing. My friends would still be playing. The last few years were nothing compared to the first couple of years.  I sadly unsubbed this week.

edited April 2016
    Yes this graph only shows how WoW subscriptions fell with expansions .You do not have a graph of how it would have been had there been no expansions after Wrath. It may have fallen just the same even if they had not introduced the expansions. The point is you do not know at all. What you have is no evidence to back what he says at all.

Subscriptions could also have fallen for a variety of reasons that could have been because the game had gotten old and other games were on the market that drew players away. If there was another game that had the success of WoW and fell similarly then you would have a pattern right now you don't.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Yes this graph only shows how WoW subscriptions fell with expansions .You do not have a graph of how it would have been had there been no expansions after Wrath. It may have fallen just the same even if they had not introduced the expansions. The point is you do not know at all. What you have is no evidence to back what he says at all.

Subscriptions could also have fallen for a variety of reasons that could have been because the game had gotten old and other games were on the market that drew players away.
    So you want "Evidence" that is for an imaginary alternate universe in which WoW kept the same gameplay? As a former research scientist I am sorry I cannot provide that for you :)
    edited April 2016
    I know you cannot but that is not why I said that. I meant that it is entirely possible that had Blizzard simply kept the game play they originally had it might not have grown at all and declined due to people getting fed up with the game which people do naturally when things do not change. Games grow old and it is natural for people to move on. 

There is no guarantee that had Blizzard kept the game the same as before they would not have lost a majority of the player base. Therefore making such an assertion is purely for personal reasons.

Honestly even if Blizzard went back today and reintroduced the original game play I personally doubt people will flock back to it simply because most of us have moved on.
    Chamber of Chains
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited April 2016
    cheyane said:
    Honestly even if Blizzard went back today and reintroduced the original game play I personally doubt people will flock back to it simply because most of us have moved on.
    I've no desire to replay the game of a decade ago.

There's a market for that, certainly. But I think most consumers (identifying with their own nostalgia) vastly overestimate how large that market is.
    edited April 2016
    cheyane said:
    I know you cannot but that is not why I said that. I meant that it is entirely possible that had Blizzard simply kept the game play they originally had it might not have grown at all and declined due to people getting fed up with the game which people do naturally when things do not change. Games grow old and it is natural for people to move on. 

There is no guarantee that had Blizzard kept the game the same as before they would not have lost a majority of the player base. Therefore making such an assertion is purely for personal reasons.

Okay I understand  and I agree with you that any possibility could have happened. I personally feel it would have not declined in such a manor.  Social bonds and the feeling of being needed for a group have an impact on how long a person will play a game.

I will speak for myself and say that I and my group of friends will definitely flock back if they introduce the original gameplay. I also see a huge outpouring from the community though online polls and forum posts that say they want to go back. That evidence is so strong that it cannot be refuted.
    edited April 2016
    Distopia said:
    100,000 or one million, it really makes no difference, it's a matter of where Blizzard's business strategy lay. IF they have no plans nor want to amend those plans to include it, they won't. Like I said in another thread, services and products are not democratic entities. It's essentially making a demand to be the focus of a businesses attention, no one is obligated to meet such a demand, that's part of free trade.

Where they want to focus their attention is something they should be able to decide on their own. People shouldn't have an expectation of forcing their hand on such an issue, that's just juvenile. 

All of this depends on their intentions for WOW over the course of the next few years, for all we know they could have their own F2P/B2P formula in mind for the not so distant future, anything is possible in that regard. What's being asked for here could quite simply interfere with their own plans for their own property. 

tawess said:

And do tell sage one.... What is the conversion rate of these people over to customers paying a monthly subscription...? 
    Not sure what either of you are trying to convince me with my purely journalistic update.  There was no opinion involved, other then my estimation on hourly progress which I watched throughout the day.  (Which seems to have slowed since reaching the 100,000 goal).  The BBC reached out to Blizz for comment.  I found it interesting Blizz still didn't comment to them as this story isn't just for the MMO elitists anymore.

tawess said:
    @danwest58 ;

Is it windy all way up there on your high horse..... 

Maybe you could control that passive aggresiveness up on that soapbox tawess.  For the record I didn't play, will never play, and do not support private servers.

edited April 2016

Maybe you could control that passive aggresiveness up on that soapbox tawess.  For the record I didn't play, will never play, and do not support private servers.
    Sadly you will be disappointed in that regard also... I am to old to entertain fools. (not saying you are a fool.. just that i dont care to entertain folks who are.) 

As for your journalistic work... .. . 

Zarriya said:
    cheyane said:

Okay I understand  and I agree with you that any possibility could have happened. I personally feel it would have not declined in such a manor.  Social bonds and the feeling of being needed for a group have an impact on how long a person will play a game.

I will speak for myself and say that I and my group of friends will definitely flock back if they introduce the original gameplay. I also see a huge outpouring from the community though online polls and forum posts that say they want to go back. That evidence is so strong that it cannot be refuted.
    I will jump in here too.  My friends too are much like Zarriya's friends.  If instances were still requiring CC for mob pulls like it did in vanilla and TBC even if instances were smaller and took only 45 to 90 minutes.  And if there was no LFD/LFR even if they added today's Group Finder tool my friends and I would still be playing.  Also as I said before my group of friends will be coming back to WOW if we got a TBC server.  

I also agree the social bonds the feeling of being needed for a group had a lot of impact of why I played and why I no longer play.  Zarriya is spot on for how a lot of people feel that just voted with their wallets and never posted on the WOW forums.   
    tawess said:

Sadly you will be disappointed in that regard also... I am to old to entertain fools. (not saying you are a fool.. just that i dont care to entertain folks who are.) 

Problem is you are entertaining.  

cheyane said:
    I've no desire to replay the game of a decade ago.

There's a market for that, certainly. But I think most consumers (identifying with their own nostalgia) vastly overestimate how large that market is.
    You are free to think that way.  The problem I have and the reason I would disagree this this.  On facebook the other day I posted about WOW and having classic servers.  I have 50 or so friends who I keep in contact with message me and say how they would love to be back in the Classic era again.  I only had 2 friends say that wouldnt, one was because he is done completely with MMOs the other does not want the work that would involve and lately he is complaining that he has to log in to run LFR and has asked blizzard to make a Facebook app so he can send followers out to get him his epic gear.   So while I say not all of my friends would stay in WOW, I know at least half of them will on a causal bases because they enjoy that time period.  

Thing is how do we know that i might be in the minority where I have a boat load of friends who would love to play.  We see a private server with 150K active players and 800K registered accounts in 2 years.  There is a demand for it.  Would it compare to the 20 Million people who would play the next F2P MMO?   Nope but is it possible at least for a year or 2 that it could help WOW subs I would say that is likely.  
    tawess said:

Your addition to this conversation disappointed me long ago.  As for your age and maturity level, the fact that you need to point it out as if it gives bearing to things speaks volumes.  I don't claim to be a journalist, point was it was fact.  You can get as long winded as you like about it.

edited April 2016
    That is ok. I never really aimed at not disappoint you. =) Nor did i lay any claim on maturity, the fact that i post in this pointless exercise in indignation of a thread should be plenty evidence of that.  

But the number of people trying to sell me on the idea that the current decline in WoW is soley from shit development and not from churn due to age... And that anyone who did not like the hardcore version of vanilla is a free-loading bum...(a cute idea since we are talking about a server that did not charge money but was built on the hard work of others.) That is to damm high.. So i feel that it is ok if i get a bit entertainment from watching them turn inside out justifying why a minuscule minority is actually a viable customer group that deserve millions in investment. 

Not to mention old media picking up said silly petiton as if it is actually news just because it has the WoW brand.... But then again... it is all about clicks these days. 

(you did say i could get as longwinded about it as i liked... I would haaaaate to disappoint you again)

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Gentlemen, please.  Let's just all agree that we need a Vanilla WoW server and put this to rest.  Done?  Okay then! :awesome: 
    "We" do not need anything.  I do not care if you get one or not, up to Blizzard and they can do what they want.  I am just sick of entitled people thinking they can do what they want on the internet.