Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite: Dangerous better with 27" superwide screen VS 3x 24" Monitors

StylinLPStylinLP Member UncommonPosts: 26

On a whim I decided to purchase this game on STEAM and got the full package. Hopefully, with playing ArcheAge and Call of Duty BlackOps II I will not have enough time a day to burn out before more expansions are made for Elite Dangerous.

Right now I have 1 24" monitor. I was thinking of either getting a 27" super wide screen or install my 3x 24" monitors on a stand mount. What are the best advice for the best play experience?

My current rid:

i5 4th gen CPU with big copper cooler.

GeForce NVidia GTX 970 graphics card

240 GB SSD card

16 GB RAM. (I could buy another 16 GB if needed)

Razor Stealth Pro Green keys mechanical keyboard and mouse

Have not decided on a joystick yet. Need to investigate.

Comments

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I think you need to be a bit careful with the superwide monitors, a 27" will only give the vertical height of a 19" 16:9.  it's recommended to get a 29" superwide (minimum) iif you're getting one as it gives the same height as a 24" 16:9.

Personally I would get a stand for the 3x 24" along with a headtracking device such as the DelanClip or EDTracker Pro.

Elite will certainly be fine on 16GB RAM, if you're after a decent but lowish cost flight stick then you can't go far wrong with either T.16000m or Extreme 3D Pro.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited April 2016
    I have three 24'' monitors and a 55'' flat screen TV.  Some games look really good on three monitors because they did a good job at optimization like GW2, other games not so much.  But in general I play most on just one screen and if I want a large screen experience, most in general look great using a flat screen TV as a large monitor, cause then you don't lose the height on none or badly optimized games using three monitor gameplay.  Have not tried ED on three monitors yet but it looks great on a big flat screen TV.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    No clue on monitor question...but if you are trying out ED, and you like it, i would suggest you look into Voice Attack.  http://www.voiceattack.com/Default.aspx

Look it up on youtube as well to see it in use in ED.  Voice attack works very well with ED and makes it seem a lot more "alive" to me.  Makes a good game much better for me. And if you go the VR or head tracking, VA really shines.

All the "toy's" for ED will only make it better IF you like the game. So first play it see how it goes, then look into the rest.

Good luck.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    would a VR headset give you more viewing space then all of those options?

serious question

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• StylinLPStylinLP Member UncommonPosts: 26

Wow this is a hard decision! After reading "Ready Player One" (HIGHLY RECOOMENDED) scifi book Im sold on getting a VR headset sometime next xmas. But for now I can do 3 monitors or buy a super wide 34" screen as suggested. Im looking a the Curved model from Dell. I get a discount.