Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why or why not play rift...

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
I am doing some research about a few games..

why are you playing rift, or why did you quit?

what are your 3 favorite things of this game
what are your 3 negative things in this game
please list both possitives and negatives, as well as answer my question..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited April 2016
    Actually I think Rift is a pretty decent game. When I played it (not too long ago), it still had a very healthy population. However my PC was crap around that time and I just couldn't play as much as I'd want to.

Rift still has by far the best dynamic events of any MMORPG ever created. Yet it's still pretty much a WoW clone in most other aspect. A clone that is way better than the original ever since it came out though.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Rift is the WOW update that never happened.  Fun balanced pvp oriented endgame.  You have endgame pvp daily open world quests.  They rotate so its not the same quests every day in the same locations.  They also have battlegrounds which are fairly balanced from lvl 10 - max. Then at endgame you can partake in a 180 man pvp conquest battle.  Which consists of 3 teams of 90 players.  These happen every 2 hours.

Classes rival that of Archeage.  You are able to mix and match all kinds of skills/abilities to create tanky-dps-healer if you want.  And they have a viable build for just about every skill tree in every class.  Now I did not say every build works but every skill tree can be made to work when built properly.

The game world is alive.  From lvl 1 you can find yourself caught up in a zone battle with a boss that is trying to kill everyone in that particular zone.  Every zone has boss fights and the high level players are able to mentor their level down so they can partake in the zone battle and get rewards.  If you find yourself in one of the dead servers you are allowed to switch once a week for free.

Rifts are tares that can be opened or sometimes open on themselves.  There are random rewards for completing them and some include mounts.  They also have dungeons.  You can change your role in a dungeon if necessary.  You don't have to worry about the healer rolling on your tank item in a dungeon.  You can also make wardrobe the way you like.  You don't want to see the stupid shirt then click and its gone even though you are still wearing it.

Honestly there wasn't very many bad things about this game. Unless you want to count combat animations or the way races look.  Then you can cry about the jump animation and perhaps the color of the icon on the desktop.  Only bad thing i can think of is the fact that people think its a wow clone even though it is a major upgrade.  Its like calling a battleship a rowboat clone.  I will say though that crafting was pretty much useless.  idk if they ever fixed that.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    The reason I quit was the macro'ing. Being able, in game, to write a macro giving you a 1 button does (almost) all. It changed the skill from player skill (at actually playing), to coder skill / player skilat copy/pasting from a forum post.

Combat changed from pressing 1,2,3 or 6 depending on events, 4 or 7, 1, 2, 3 to 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, oh shit 7, 1, 1, 1 as the macro dealt with everything for you.
  • NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    edited April 2016
    Obviously nothing forced you to use the macros. But in a PvP system removing the decision making from the player, removing reaction time and replacing it with code removes a layer of skill from playing the game.

Suddenly getting situational abilities off correctly (post block/parry etc.) is no longer a matter of player skill, the macro does it for you. You can't force a player to miss a rear position and waste valuable seconds by circling around them if the macro automatically uses the correct skill for the current position.
    Nibs said:
    Obviously nothing forced you to use the macros. But in a PvP system removing the decision making from the player, removing reaction time and replacing it with code removes a layer of skill from playing the game.

Suddenly getting situational abilities off correctly (post block/parry etc.) is no longer a matter of player skill, the macro does it for you. You can't force a player to miss a rear position and waste valuable seconds by circling around them if the macro automatically uses the correct skill for the current position.
    I played every class and every build in rift and there was only 1 of them you could macro like that.  The rest you ended up with about 10 situational buttons to push.  Rift was setup so you needed macros because you had over 30 abilities.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I guess the only reason i never got very far in this game is the linearity in questing design. I simply got bored before i hit lvl 20 (iirc).
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Personally, because its a cheap F2P cash shop. Main reason I left in the first place. Plus its was really just a plain mediocre MMO even before it crashed.

Though I suppose if (out of sheer boredom and desperation) I just HAD to settle on one of the mind numbingly easy, department store MMO's out now, Rift would be third behind LotRO and SWTOR.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    filmoret said:
    Nibs said:

I played every class and every build in rift and there was only 1 of them you could macro like that.  The rest you ended up with about 10 situational buttons to push.  Rift was setup so you needed macros because you had over 30 abilities.
    No way you need to macro buttons if you have over 30... not having macro´s and dozens of skills make the game challenging to me..

I have a Naga mouse, with 12 buttons, add to that shift-CTRL/Alt..  and i have 48 buttons layed out...  
    Then there is a G15 keyboard with 18 G keys, which i can use for even more skills or roleplaying stuff, i use them for all and everything except macroing skills...

On a PC game there is no reason to ever macro anything if you love challenging gameplay...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Its never an option to simply "not use" convenience, if there is a competitive bone in a player's body.

filmoret said:
    Nibs said:

No way you need to macro buttons if you have over 30... not having macro´s and dozens of skills make the game challenging to me..

I have a Naga mouse, with 12 buttons, add to that shift-CTRL/Alt..  and i have 48 buttons layed out...  
    Then there is a G15 keyboard with 18 G keys, which i can use for even more skills or roleplaying stuff, i use them for all and everything except macroing skills...

On a PC game there is no reason to ever macro anything if you love challenging gameplay...
    The game is setup so you need them.  You obviously have a setup that enables you to have 48 buttons layed out and Rift is really the only game where you could actually use all of those buttons in combat.  You don't believe me then try playing the game without using the macros and you will quickly change your mind.  Or you just wont use 80% of the skills available to you.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited April 2016
    I think people can sometimes be too hard on Rift in certain departments.

Pros:
    Class Building: So many options it's rediculous. Some cookie cutter builds but that's to be expected.

Lore: Yeah, the lore is amazing. Not always the best presentation, but it is REALLY good I think. Dragons of the six elements (earth, water, air, fire, life, and death) vying for power over the mortal realm, alliances, betrayal, all of them so evil in their own ways. Cultists who follow them are equally as crazy/evil. Good stuff. They are all dead now though... :( so idk where the lore is going at this point. You are ascended either because you died and returned to the mortal realms by the grace of god, or by synthetic ascension by utilizing advanced technology (depends on faction). Cool stuff, you have to admit.

Zone design: Zones are amazing in Rift, each of them has their nooks and crannies with so much attention to detail. Perhaps not ESO quality but right below it.

World Events: These were so much fun back in the day. If only for the DPS competition on bosses.
    Instant Adventure: good casual leveling fun with others!

General PvE was great and had many options. Dungeons were always a challenge, at least until people got really geared. Raids were very fun, very similar to WoW.

Character Models: Look amazing, my female was very attractive and my male was too. It's tough to find this feature on Western games. Generally the females look ugly and the males sometimes do to. Body shape is great too for both genders.

Dimensions was a great housing system.

CONS:

PvP - don't ask, don't bother. Used to be great in Vanilla, it's so far gone now though.

Presentation - Hope you like reading quest text, Lorebooks, and doing online lore research in your spare time.

The Game Engine - Good lord, this engine... it seems that with every content update it gets more sluggish and sluggish, World boss battles devolved into lagcity. I think they were testing multi-core support, so it may be different now.

No Raidfinder - The raids are great in this game, but almost nobody experiences them fully. I think they do have something like this now, but if I remember it's not quite like how WoW does it.

Combat is kind of clunky. Macros help but sometimes it just isn't that much fun.

Crafting is run of the mill.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile