Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOTRO or BDO?

Comments

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    They really are pretty crowded now.

Remaining worlds to stay open.

In the US, 
    Arkenstone, 
    Crickhollow, 
    Landroval, 
    Gladden, 
    and Brandywine

EU, 
    Belegaer, 
    Gwaihir, 
    Sirannon, 
    Laurelin, 
    Evernight
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    BDO is boring as heck. There isn't much to it. Once you get past the messy UI (certain parts go away as the tutorial of sorts weans away), you are still left with a mish mash of game components that don't feel right together. 

LOTRO has excellent gameplay and story. When I played I enjoyed the missions and world a lot more than BDO. Plus, BDO has some major issues with clipping. I turned everything up to stop things from clipping in but it was no use. Apparently this is a problem for everyone.

If you haven't considered it, ESO is awesome too. Lots of solo and group stuff. The solo portions aren't forced onto you if you want to start PvPing early.
  • EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    Never played BDO so I would have to go with LOTRO. The world is absolutely amazing and well done. The community is top notch. Class design is mediocre. Just being in their world will make you stay. 
  • Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    BDO because LotRO has fallen apart over the past few due a lack of real development. It currently has a lot of issues.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Brenics said:
    They really are pretty crowded now.

Remaining worlds to stay open.

In the US, 
    Arkenstone, 
    Crickhollow, 
    Landroval, 
    Gladden, 
    and Brandywine

EU, 
    Belegaer, 
    Gwaihir, 
    Sirannon, 
    Laurelin, 
    Evernight
    Servers are crowded and quite busy

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    LOTRO
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Want to thank everyone for the responses.  I decided to go with LOTRO.  The decision was based on the immersion factor.  From what I have seen BDO is a work in progress.  While LOTRO is a finished product.

After my initial investment of around 40 U.S dollars I am having a very fun time.  Buying the account mounts and shared storage makes my dream of being a crafting god that much more viable. 

I as of yet am not regretting the decision.  So once again, thank you for your opinions and thoughts on the question asked.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Have fun!  I  wish I could forget the story and play it new for the first time myself.
    edited April 2016
    flizzer said:
    Have fun!  I  wish I could forget the story and play it new for the first time myself.
    From what I have seen, there is a update tomorrow. New quests and a level cap from 100 to 105.  I am nowhere near that.  But then it is a update.

Population is good. They also extended the LOTRO contract to 2020.
    xpowderx said:
    Want to thank everyone for the responses.  I decided to go with LOTRO.  The decision was based on the immersion factor.  From what I have seen BDO is a work in progress.  While LOTRO is a finished product.

After my initial investment of around 40 U.S dollars I am having a very fun time.  Buying the account mounts and shared storage makes my dream of being a crafting god that much more viable. 

I as of yet am not regretting the decision.  So once again, thank you for your opinions and thoughts on the question asked.

Just to throw in here and in case you want to enjoy the game and not level to fast. There is a stone they sell called Stone of the tortoise. It stop you from getting xp. That is if you are like a few of us that take the time to smell the Roses. https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Stone_of_the_Tortoise

Oh wait that might have been my horse. :+1: 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2016
    xpowderx said:
    From what I have seen, there is a update tomorrow. New quests and a level cap from 100 to 105.
    Yep, as I wrote above, if there's no further delay - and it seems there's none. The maintenance will start in a couple hours.
    I was right with the raid delay too, according the dev diary of yesterday the new raid will arrive with Update 18.2, so not even 18.1 :wink:
    I guess somewhere in the summer. Maybe you'll be near the cap by then.
    The game is so much fun now compared to the current selection of mmos out.  Having a blast!
  • aim4theheadxaim4theheadx Member UncommonPosts: 14
    LOTRO combat is trash , if you like skillful PVP go with BDO 
    edited April 2016
    LOTRO combat is trash , if you like skillful PVP go with BDO 
    Keyword: SKILLFUL
    For pvp I will stick to Dark Age of Camelot. I also am very high in the ranks of Chlvalry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNmSdjuHejU . Thanks!
    Post edited by xpowderx on
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    edited April 2016
    I guess these games couldn't be more different. I mean, you wouldn't play BDO for story and quests, or LOTRO if you want the latest graphics.

LOTRO is one of the biggest (in terms of areas and content) games that exists. Unless you halt your XP gain, there's no way you can play through it all on one, or even two, characters.
  • Xorian7Xorian7 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Last time I asked about lotro people told me it straight up has to many pay to win items in the shop, even as vip you still need to spend money or something like that.
    Xorian7 said:
    Last time I asked about lotro people told me it straight up has to many pay to win items in the shop, even as vip you still need to spend money or something like that.
    That is true but if you take your time and get the Stone of the Tortoise and not rush to level (there is a lot to enjoy and see) then the Turbine Points you get each month can carry you fine. I do wish and have commented to them they should make changes where VIP can use his gold to get a lot of little things they have you need Mithal coins for. Maybe one day they will listen. I do think it could be WB not caring. I know the devs at Turbine do care. 

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Do you want to just quest with a traditional MMORPG?  LOTRO.

If you are looking for something else in an incredibly immersive world, BDO.
  • Xorian7Xorian7 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    edited April 2016
    Brenics said:
    Xorian7 said:
    That is true but if you take your time and get the Stone of the Tortoise and not rush to level (there is a lot to enjoy and see) then the Turbine Points you get each month can carry you fine. I do wish and have commented to them they should make changes where VIP can use his gold to get a lot of little things they have you need Mithal coins for. Maybe one day they will listen. I do think it could be WB not caring. I know the devs at Turbine do care. 

I wouldnt say care, it has one of the worst shops id ever seen in a more western game and since they are the ones who really sarted the f2p thing on western mmorpgs id say its a given. Maybe they use to care.
    Xorian7 said:
    Brenics said:
    Xorian7 said:

I wouldnt say care, it has one of the worst shops id ever seen in a more western game and since they are the ones who really sarted the f2p thing on western mmorpgs id say its a given. Maybe they use to care.
    You won't get an argument from me about being the worse store setup. I agree.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Both great games but I would probably give the nod to Lotro...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I quit LOTRO before Rohan.  I have no interest in BDO as it sounds like a job not a game.  LOTRO wins.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Xorian7 said:
    Brenics said:
    Xorian7 said:

I'm curious about the state of the shop these days. 

Back when I played (I quit just before Rohan expansion), the store was still one of the best / fairest around. The UI was a bit annoying but minimal pay2win and as a subscriber, I got 500 points every month which more than covered everything I needed from the store. The only pay2win items they had at that time were stat scrolls, you needed 25 scrolls to give you +50 to every stat which was an advantage, but didn't really make much difference at endgame. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2016
    Both changed and not. You still get 500 per month as subscriber, and after Rohan Helm's Deep was the last expansion, since then they're releasing 2 Updates per year, and those are free for subs, so you don't need to spend on content.
    Stat tomes are used to pop up on the AH or the Trade channel as well, but I agree, not really needed, especially after the stat changes. But I think it wasn't a p2w item even back then, just a convenience purchase (since it used to drop occasionally, and is trade-able in game).

What changed, the UI was revamped not long ago. Pretty sleek now (I think, don't really know since I barely check the store :wink: ), easier on load, uses only 1 thread of awesomium (a.k.a. crapsomium :wink: ) process. The search function is much better. Coupon redeems are faster with the new store.

Can't really say more, it's an ingame store, with ingame items... it's working :wink:  I don't find the release note, just found this Bullroarer review http://www.mmo-central.com/2015/09/25/lotro-tests-new-game-shop/

edit: also from the test phase:  https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/new-store-coming-soon
    Well I am fully committed in LOTRO now.  Besides spending my initial 40 dollars for  account wide mounts, VIP, and extra storage slots.  I also bought the 4 in 1expansion deal that LOTRO had going on.

As a noob/new player to LOTRO I am having a blast!  Am not regretting any of the decisions I have made with LOTRO!  If you have never played LOTRO.  This is a serious GEM just waiting for you.  I will post a full article of my experience as well as pics  soon!