Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When Gaming Goes Too Far

2»

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Better than the awful truth of "Addiction: Ohgawdpleasemakeitstop!"

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Scorchien said:
    And i have read some of those stories before , and the ones involving kids particularly , just tear at my heart , I have a near 5 year old son , and even when i do get some time to sit down at the PC he is still number one priority and i drop whatever im doing instantly .. I cant figure out how someone can negelect there own kid like that , and they deserve whatever they get ...

Most of the others are just really stupid adults with no disipline or self control in there lives ...  I have No sympathy for them ..
    Yeah neglecting your child over a video game? Ugh. I could never imagine doing that to my children.
    I agree.  I could never imaging letting the nanny do that do my children.
  • TatsuyaHirokiTatsuyaHiroki Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited April 2016
    flash news

gaming with no limits isnt good for you

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Laughed hard at the supposed news that "a man who died in an Internet cafe because he played for almost a whole day straight.." If that was a thing, people would by dying on a daily basis from gaming. I, for one, would not be posting here today.

If you die from playing anything for "almost a whole day straight", your days were numbered regardless.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

People will do stupid things for video games

let me rephrase that sentence..

" People will do stupid things "

when you realise this, you will see that video games are not a factor when it comes to doing stupid things...  Its just humen nature to do stupid things from time to time...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Dullahan said:
    Laughed hard at the supposed news that "a man who died in an Internet cafe because he played for almost a whole day straight.." If that was a thing, people would by dying on a daily basis from gaming. I, for one, would not be posting here today.

If you die from playing anything for "almost a whole day straight", your days were numbered regardless.
    As far as i can remember, it was a guy who was in one of those korean internet cafe's and had been playing for close to 3 days straight.
    Certainly, someone with an underlying medical condition could potentially die from doing the same thing over a 24 hour period, though it could be said of any activity carried out without a break, and yes i agree, if you could die from playing a game for 'almost a whole day straight' chances are, you were probably going to die that day regardless of whatever activity you were partaking in.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Phry said:
    Dullahan said:

As far as i can remember, it was a guy who was in one of those korean internet cafe's and had been playing for close to 3 days straight.
    Certainly, someone with an underlying medical condition could potentially die from doing the same thing over a 24 hour period, though it could be said of any activity carried out without a break, and yes i agree, if you could die from playing a game for 'almost a whole day straight' chances are, you were probably going to die that day regardless of whatever activity you were partaking in.
    Yeah I do 24 hour gaming sessions on a regular basis and I am st
  • SaelemSaelem Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I remember a movie based on a college student that crossed the line and played D&D so much it became real to him and he lost his mind.  Based on the true story, so they say.  

Addictions run across the board and everyone is addicted to something to a certain degree.  It's when it interferes with your ability to perform your daily duties that it becomes a serious problem.  

I remember when the story came out about the girl drinking the water.  I think she actually won the contest.  Later they played her audio interview.  They talked about how she looked nine months pregnant, her stomach had swollen so much.  She was saying she basically just wanted to go home and sleep, which is where they later found her after she died.  The Dj's had been told by someone, that you could drink all the water you wanted and would just vomit up the excess, and later learned about water intoxication.
    The movie you're talking about is called 'Mazes and Monsters' and I believe it's the first role Tom Hanks ever starred in. It's deliciously cheesy in that over-the-top way only eighties paranoia can bring.
  • SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
     In the real world, we refer to this as "Natural Selection"

~I am Many~

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited April 2016
    There is a meme in society these days to call something that inherently has value to a person as an 'addiction'.

think about it. 

if a TV show is mediocre and you could take it or leave it then that is fine, but if its an outstanding show that grabs you and you want to watch more then its 'addictive'? mean things of high value are addictive?

sounds like brainwashing to me.

Regarding games I take the positions that:

1. games are not addictive, they are good and of higher value then we are ready to understand.

2. the 'thing' that is pursued is not what is addictive, the behavior that the person has usually because of passed abuse and a desire to escape is the addictive element.

3. if you do something with some level of conscious awareness that you are avoiding something you need to be doing then it might be an addiction, if you are burning the midnight oil simply because what you are doing is totally awesome then its not.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Sounds like people who are just shattered on the inside anyway. They would have snapped in another way had they had another outlet.

Personally I can't wait for full immersion VR. Hook me up to a machine and cryo-preserve my remains when my body gives up so I can be resurrected to game even more.

Game is life.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Lyrian said:
    Sounds like people who are just shattered on the inside anyway. They would have snapped in another way had they had another outlet.

yes and there is study in this area to back that up.

Why media continues to basically mislead people about addiction is beyond me other than mass mind control which is a bit tin foil hat of me

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• larryp11233larryp11233 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    this is actually frightening.
    At first a lot of players might say that these people  are just not that smart but I guess it can really happen to any of us once we are really drawn into the cyberworld and not thinking twice when it comes to our actions.