Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nostalgia for Vanilla - Will Blizzard Give In?

Comments

• VeydronVeydron Member CommonPosts: 1
    Really just a poorly reasoned collection of arguments against opening legacy servers. I'll paraphrase the entire article:

- Definition of the word "nostalgia"
    - Several paragraphs of drivel, essentially "You think you do, but you don't"
    - Quote from Battle.net EULA
    - Implication that the Battle.net EULA is law (??)
    - "Legacy servers aren't financially feasible, because Blizzard must have done research indicating such or we would already have them!"

I'll never understand these people that want to deprive others of something even though it doesn't affect them.

- Definition of the word "marriage"
    - Several paragraphs of drivel, essentially "You think you're gay, but you're not"
    - Quote from the bible
    - Implication that the bible is law (??)
    - "Gay marriage isn't feasible, because we would already have it if there wasn't something wrong with it!"
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Veydron said:

- "Legacy servers aren't financially feasible, because Blizzard must have done research indicating such or we would already have them!"

I'll never understand these people that want to deprive others of something even though it doesn't affect them.
    The EULA isn't law but it gives Blizzard the right to pursue its intellectual property via legal means. How successful that is remains to be seen.

It does affect every WoW player when so-called private servers operate since, whether or not we'd like them to, Blizzard files legal proceedings against them. That costs money, obviously, that could be better spent elsewhere. It hurts Blizzard's bottom line and if people believe that's going to get a pass, they've got another think coming

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Lot of people are looking through rose tented glasses.  Vanilla was different for sure. It was fun. No doubt. But it also had that new car smell. Which it doesn't now.  I had a blast in Vanilla. I certainly would not go back for it though.  I bet most people might for a few months and then say " This isn't exactly what I remember."  rose tented glasses."  You can't force communities to populate servers.  As much as people claim to have hated Barrens chat. That was literally part of the experience. I saw some pretty funny crap unfold in that chat.

I saw 30 lowbies take on a lvl 60. I was part of it. Corpses everywhere.  Just endlessly whelping him. Everyone had a blast doing it.  That one person out to gank 15's -20's actually became an event. Not one person was bitching about it either but having fun. Cries for help spread to Orgrimmar and soon after it turned into a horde vs. alliance event.  Alliance staged outside the Crossroads I think it was. And Horde inside and that lasted all night.

Blizzard can't force interactions like that to happen and in a lot of cases actually frowned upon those types of interactions.  All this stuff combined in the vanilla experience is what made that experience good. So many current features that people are currently use in the game would be missed on rolled back servers. Blizzard would have to do a sort of hybrid vanilla experience. Vanilla was catering to a different demographic than the game is now. The consumer landscape has changed greatly in 10 years. Most of the people who could spend 8-10-12 hours a session now have families and careers.  Those are the people who this rollback would be targeting.

• DiabhualDiabhual Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Hulluck said:
    Lot of people are looking through rose tented glasses.  Vanilla was different for sure. It was fun. No doubt. But it also had that new car smell. Which it doesn't now.  I had a blast in Vanilla. I certainly would not go back for it though.  I bet most people might for a few months and then say " This isn't exactly what I remember."  rose tented glasses."  You can't force communities to populate servers.  As much as people claim to have hated Barrens chat. That was literally part of the experience. I saw some pretty funny crap unfold in that chat.

I saw 30 lowbies take on a lvl 60. I was part of it. Corpses everywhere.  Just endlessly whelping him. Everyone had a blast doing it.  That one person out to gank 15's -20's actually became an event. Not one person was bitching about it either but having fun. Cries for help spread to Orgrimmar and soon after it turned into a horde vs. alliance event.  Alliance staged outside the Crossroads I think it was. And Horde inside and that lasted all night.

Blizzard can't force interactions like that to happen and in a lot of cases actually frowned upon those types of interactions.  All this stuff combined in the vanilla experience is what made that experience good. So many current features that people are currently use in the game would be missed on rolled back servers. Blizzard would have to do a sort of hybrid vanilla experience. Vanilla was catering to a different demographic than the game is now. The consumer landscape has changed greatly in 10 years. Most of the people who could spend 8-10-12 hours a session now have families and careers.  Those are the people who this rollback would be targeting.

A lot of ppl still enjoy playing through those rose tinted glasses though :) at what point does the color change when vanilla can still be a hit in 2016? A lot of people are still making new 'greatest' memories in vanilla does that mean they're just living in the past had they of started wow in WotLK? 
  • ZardayneZardayne Member UncommonPosts: 66
    If they released vanilla WOW without the flying mounts and instant dungeon teleporter I'd give it another shot. I miss the early days where you could be questing and run into another player from the other faction and you could either attack each other or emote to show your intentions and quest in relative safety around each other. Nothing like that excitement wondering what the other players move was going to be. When I tried to go back to WoW a year ago I was met with players vegetating in cities waiting for their dungeon finding to pop. It was bad..

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited April 2016
    Veydron said:
    Really just a poorly reasoned collection of arguments against opening legacy servers. I'll paraphrase the entire article:

seems to me that your post is poorly reasoned.

What is law is that the property belongs to Blizzard. The art, the skills, the design. It's their game. They can do with it what they want. The idea that others seem to think they can also do what they want is the issue.

You seem to be inexperienced and don't realize that large companies do extensive breakdowns of how their money is spent. If opening up "original servers" were in their best interest or supported their vision of their product they would do it.

Having worked for several large multinational corporations I've seen this first hand practically every day.

No one wants to deprive anyone of anything as far as "games" are concerned. What some see is that a group of people feel entitled to do with another company's product what they want just because they can and feel like it.

Yet I strongly suspect if anyone else manipulated things in their lives in ways they didn't like they would be the first to cry about it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    AlsoSovrath said:
    Veydron said:

seems to me that your post is poorly reasoned.

What is law is that the property belongs to Blizzard. The art, the skills, the design. It's their game. They can do with it what they want. The idea that others seem to think they can also do what they want is the issue.

You seem to be inexperienced and don't realize that large companies do extensive breakdowns of how their money is spent. If opening up "original servers" were in their best interest or supported their vision of their product they would do it.

Having worked for several large multinational corporations I've seen this first hand practically every day.

No one wants to deprive anyone of anything as far as "games" are concerned. What some see is that a group of people feel entitled to do with another company's product what they want just because they can and feel like it.

Yet I strongly suspect if anyone else manipulated things in their lives in ways they didn't like they would be the first to cry about it.
    Also, his post completely ignores people like myself that keep trying to point out that if they brought legacy servers online, they'd likely want to incorporate all of the ease of life features  that they have in the live servers currently.  They added so many systems people used to have to get mods for to the game that many current players would just balk at their absence on an official legacy server.
  • EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I would personally love to see Blizzard take the Wurm Unlimited approach. Just imagine being able to purchase fully functional and customizable stand-alone versions of WoW.

About every six months I get to urge to reminisce, to see the sights and to hear the sounds of WoW again. It's not enough of a pull to warrant resubbing, and the emulations are too broken and buggy (generally) to enjoy, so a hostable server version that could be shared with friends would be a very cool option.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Diabhual said:
    Hulluck said:

A lot of ppl still enjoy playing through those rose tinted glasses though :) at what point does the color change when vanilla can still be a hit in 2016? A lot of people are still making new 'greatest' memories in vanilla does that mean they're just living in the past had they of started wow in WotLK? 
    You can ignore it if you want but the rose tented glasses while a commonly used phrase do in fact exist. A lot of what happened in Vanilla relied heavily on player interaction and the community. A company cannot force that experience. Blizzard even stifled those types of interactions.   What about the modern features of current WoW? What happens when people who are use to these features now want them in  the Vanilla experience.  A hybrid vanilla then you say? Ok let's split the development team up.  Is there enough interest which will last than a few months before servers are barren to justify that? Blizzards moving forward and supposedly from what I heard are trying to bring back certain experiences from Vanilla.  So What's the difference then between an old hybrid version of Vanilla and current? Other than one is actually moving forward with modern game enhancements and the other would be looking backward.

Not telling you or anyone what or what not to like. Rose tented glasses though are very real. I loved the hell out of Anarchy Online.  LOVED IT. My favorite mmorpg of all time. A lot of that had to do with social interaction though. Something Funcom can not fix. The only reason I left is after the mass exodus from that game. I got tired of sitting around waiting for others to log in so I could do anything. Seriously, I loved it. Bugs and all.  But for a week I sat in inferno waiting stupidly long hours just for a single team. The day I canceled I had waited 6 hours for one.  It had nothing to do with me.  NO ONE was playing.  The few that were had their private groups with regulars that they played with. That's it.

I went back recently to Anarchy Online. I spent 5 minutes in game and that was it. My character was still in my old guild. A couple people who remembered me and I remembered were there and online. We chatted a bit. In the end though I glared at the UI and asked myself if I really wanted to relearn the UI. All the tweaks and quirks of the game. The macros. The seriously aged graphics.  I still hold the game in high regards. But it was the community just as much as anything else that made that experience fun.

In Vanilla. I was one of the few druids that I heard of who weren't mana batteriesn during this time.  Seriously. I've bragged about it on here years back. People really didn't believe me.  My guild was fucking awesome. I started with it as a raiding guild with nothing on farm.   I could feral, heal, moonkin, bear tank. Whatever I wanted. I off tanked that serpent / snake type boss in Molten Core. The one that dropped that two handed mace with the sprocket that spun.  Sure Moonkin wasn't optimal but they stuck me in a caster team so my aura bonuses gave the casters a boost.  We were server first to clear AQ20. Busted our ass on the last boss. A weapons warrior. I forget the spec name. Our DPS warrior is finally the one who got that kite correct. All because of how our guild worked. They said fuck it and let him try. Boom. Last boss down. I got a staff and a trinket I think from that. It was something no one else on the server had.  Stopped in Orgrimmar and druids from the other top raiding guilds instantly noticed.  Our guild kept no one in reserve because we thought that it wouldn't be fair to them, To sit around and wait. If you started missing raids you got kicked. Not to be mean but so we didn't have to have an active reserve roster. People sitting around waiting. Hoping. 

I could innervate myself without being bitched at. I actually did it fairly often while we were learning the BWL kite on the first dragon / eggs. 2 figure  8 kites on the podiums on either end and one big circle kite in the center. Then corner teams. I think..Fun as hell learning that. We worked on that hard. Actually saw that encounter destroy guilds. No joke. saw 2 raid guild implode because of that encounter. After we finally beat that we blazed through BWL then AQ 20 and 40.  Did 20 on off days.

A priest had better healing than my druid but I was always neck and neck with minimal overheal. Though priests had better skills for it.  I geared out so stupidly fast for all forms.  STUPIDLY fast.    I was always stopped by druids from the other top progression guilds on the server. They were practically begging me to try and get them in our guild.  I realized my experience most certainly was the exception.  Meanwhile at the same time the official  forums are exploding with druid players bitching about being mana batteries. That they weren't allowed to do anything else because of that single skill, innervate.  Remember that? I do. Anyone else?

Blizzard can't bring that experience back. My experience. The people, the community, the mindset  much like the lvl 60 who became an event at Crossroads unintentionally. Which  I talked about in the previous post.. Blizzard even made it harder to have such experiences as time went on from what I understand. So if they are going to do a hybrid type of vanilla experience. Then what's wrong with moving forward and trying to provide that sort of thing rather than looking back? Vanilla had a lot of issues.  I imagine it will happen when Blizzard puts this game into maintenance mode. But atm with them still putting out expansions? Why would they.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    edited April 2016
    all arguments are a minor variation of " no.... you think you want but you dont..." . How the hell do you know or dictate what we want??  that stupid, we know what we want and what we want does not affect you. just because you are intelectually disonest of suffer from sheep syndrome where media dictates what you like doesnt  mean everybody else is.
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited April 2016
    Eluwien said:
    I really wonder why publsihers dont see this as a revenue source. Simply keep "classic vanilla" servers in house, allow character transfer, and let people play on and pay for what they deem to be the better product.

150,000 active accounts 15$ USD / month = 2,25 million USD lost (assuming a lot naturally)

Not add the cost getting up and running and a new program code then Blizzard need to hire more people to do that job when they are busy on other things. Who knows they will end up 150K active accounts more if they added a Vanilla is just a guest people say one thing but end up not having the time to play. Not saying no one going ever play it but I do see a problem years to come when people get bored and wait blizzard do content update for that Vanilla server when it's on last leg. One thing the Nostalgia server don't show how many of the active accounts was new player checking it out befor they quiet do to lack of content. I seen it happen in other games with there Nostalgia how many people come and go.

But don't get me wrong Blizzard can do it and should try to do it. It's not a poor company even if they lose money on this or not.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    all arguments are a minor variation of " no.... you think you want but you dont..." . How the hell do you know or dictate what we want??  that stupid, we know what we want and what we want does not affect you. just because you are intelectually disonest of suffer from sheep syndrome where media dictates what you like doesnt  mean everybody else is.
    seems you are the intellectually dishonest one cause not all arguments are "no....you think you want it but you don't"....
    Horusra said:
    seems you are the intellectually dishonest one cause not all arguments are "no....you think you want it but you don't"....

take any blizzard fanboy/shill ramdom reply  here and ill show you. Hints: look for the " you have rose-tintered glasses... in this page there are at least 2. the only reasonable reply is " its the right of blizzard" , totally dck move but it is.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Looks like the petition will exceed 100,000 signatures sometime today.  That's an awful lot of whining thieves .... ;)
    and it still proves nothing... You know nothing of the conversion rate from fre player to actually paying customer. Is it 10%... 50%... It will not be 100% that is for sure. 

All this proves is that a bunch of people are pissy about having their free World of Warcraft taken away. 

This have been a good conversation

Horusra said:

take any blizzard fanboy/shill ramdom reply  here and ill show you. Hints: look for the " you have rose-tintered glasses... in this page there are at least 2. the only reasonable reply is " its the right of blizzard" , totally dck move but it is.

dick move is stealing something just because someone said you can not play with their toys.
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

dick move is stealing something just because someone said you can not play with their toys.

excetpt nobody stole nothing, it was the clone of a toy belonging to a selfish asle kid that did not cared about him for about 12 years.
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

excetpt nobody stole nothing, it was the clone of a toy belonging to a selfish asle kid that did not cared about him for about 12 years.

yeah clone...aka for "stolen", but who cares till it is something that is yourself....welcome to the Entitled Generation...
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

you do realize reproducing someone's artistic work without their permission is theft right.  That does register for you right...mr intellectual dishonest
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

you do realize reproducing someone's artistic work without their permission is theft right.  That does register for you right...mr intellectual dishonest
    when they are profitting from it, nostalrius was made for the love of the fans, its was actuallly an expression of admiration of what this company WAS.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Veydron said:

- Definition of the word "marriage"
    - Several paragraphs of drivel, essentially "You think you're gay, but you're not"
    - Quote from the bible
    - Implication that the bible is law (??)
    - "Gay marriage isn't feasible, because we would already have it if there wasn't something wrong with it!"
    Who wants to deprive anyone of anything? It's not about trying to deprive people of a classic server, it's arguing whether one is likely to come or not. Then going on to compare this to discrimination? WTH don't try and pull a victim card...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Horusra said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

when they are profitting from it, nostalrius was made for the love of the fans, its was actuallly an expression of admiration of what this company WAS.
    idiots always play the profit card...that is not in the law.  Reproduction for anything but personal use is theft.  If you make a poster for your band and post it up with someone else's art to promote a concert you are stealing.  If you use someone art in something you produce to show to others for public distribution it is theft. 
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

and they were taking donations based off Blizzard's assets...
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2016
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

I'm pretty sure that if the Nost admins thought they could legally get away with taking money for the "love of the fans", they would have. They didn't take money because they knew that it would put them in Blizz's legal crosshairs that much faster.

All involved in managing this 'private' server and everyone who played on it knew full well that the outcome and the closure of the server was a possibility and, indeed, a probability.

Blizzard isn't actively trying to "stick it to" anyone or "deprive" them of anything. It's protecting its investment in the world's most successful MMO and its ownership rights.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Horusra said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

No it's also tied to use, it's not only about profit.. You must have permission to use property such as this in a manner that is not intended, private servers are not intended. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SBFord said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:
    Horusra said:

I'm pretty sure that if the Nost admins thought they could legally get away with taking money for the "love of the fans", they would have. They didn't take money because they knew that it would put them in Blizz's legal crosshairs that much faster.

All involved in managing this 'private' server and everyone who played on it knew full well that the outcome and the closure of the server was a possibility and, indeed, a probability.

Blizzard isn't actively trying to "stick it to" anyone or "deprive" them of anything. It's protecting its investment in the world's most successful MMO and its ownership rights.
    Hit the agree button by accident

I think that is quite an unfair comment. If that is the case then why the hell did they waste their time doing it the way they did.

That's not much better than me saying ActiBlizz is taking food from babies mouths because they bought Candy Crush so they could profit from single mothers who can't afford to feed their babies.

Both comments are plain stupid  

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee