Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics and mechanics vs Crowfall

arcundoarcundo Member UncommonPosts: 88
edited April 2016 in Camelot Unchained
While I like the graphics style in CU a lot better then Crowfall, CU has been standing still for quite a while now graphicswise, while Crowfall is advancing nicely, and almost seems like something they could use at launch.  Is that because Crowfall is closer to launch than CU? Or can we expect that CU will not make a leap graphicswise?

The released footage of Ranger in Crowfall reminds me a lot of the mechanics seen in GW2 minus the pet. Is that you impression too? 
In Cu you can make your own abilities etc. While Crowfall seems to simplistic, I "worry" that the game mechanics in CU will to to complex and hard to comprehend or define for possible buyers of a copy.

Comments

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    arcundo said:
    While I like the graphics style in CU a lot better then Crowfall, CU has been standing still for quite a while now graphicswise, while Crowfall is advancing nicely, and almost seems like something they could use at launch.  Is that because Crowfall is closer to launch than CU? Or can we expect that CU will not make a leap graphicswise?

The released footage of Ranger in Crowfall reminds me a lot of the mechanics seen in GW2 minus the pet. Is that you impression too? 
    In Cu you can make your own abilities etc. While Crowfall seems to simplistic, I "worry" that the game mechanics in CU will to to complex and hard to comprehend or define for possible buyers of a copy.

@arcundo I'd say that CU will launch sooner than Crowfall, also I'm actually more worried about CF's graphics in the long run.
     W...aaagh?
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I would say it still is a bit below GW2 but there are certainly newer uglier games around. As for CU that is hard to say, neither of the games look so bad that it is a turnoff for me though as long as the gameplay is fun.

Both games will probably improve somewhat until launch and probably a bit after as well (for after mainly performance and some effects though).

The real question is if they will be fun to play long term. 
  • ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I will concede that the current state of CU's graphics is basically an indefensible blight on the game. The bow-legged running animations, and character models that look like they're straight out of a circa-2000 MMORPG scare the hell out of me. I hope they get a handle on this issue well prior to launch, because screenshots and clips from this puppy nearly chased me away, and certainly will keep other potential buyers and backers from getting involved. 
  • FranciscourantFranciscourant Member UncommonPosts: 356

• Mouloxtos85Mouloxtos85 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Loke666 said:
    I would say it still is a bit below GW2 but there are certainly newer uglier games around. As for CU that is hard to say, neither of the games look so bad that it is a turnoff for me though as long as the gameplay is fun.

Both games will probably improve somewhat until launch and probably a bit after as well (for after mainly performance and some effects though).

The real question is if they will be fun to play long term. 
    If they are not fun to play long term, I will lose my faith in mmos forever :(
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    It depends on what your preference is. For me, I will play both games because they each have different appealing features to me. I personally like the graphics for both games as they are. I am not attempting to speak negatively about either game but my opinion might rub a few the wrong way.

I was/am a huge supporter of CU. I just recently starting looking into and testing Crowfall. I have tested both games but due to the NDA with CU I cannot comment on what I have seen/played/tested. 

GRAPHICS
    • Neither game's actual graphics will likely improve at all from here on out. What can change is shadows and animations. So it comes down to which style do you like more. Art styles that tend to go for more realism happen to not look as good as the years progress. Look at games like Age of Conan where it was once considered the prettiest of all the MMOs when it comes to graphics and now it is not as impressive. They don't age well. The more artsy style like World of Warcraft can withstand the test of time. 
    • More realistic art styles also tend to require higher end computers to play at their max or even attempt large battles.
    COMBAT
    • Both games are shooting for a non-tab targeting system. 
    • Camelot allows for extra advanced play by creating your own skills, each with their own pros and cons, at the cost of creating a character that could totally suck long term.
    • Crowfall does not allow you to create your own skills but the skill system is actually pretty fun from the handful of tests I have been able to be a part of. You can press one of your 1-0 keys on the keyboard to activate a skill and that could be the start and finish to that skill. But, there are skills where I press 3 to activate an ability and then once that has been cast I can press 3 or E for it to branch out to two separate chain attacks, and from that there could be another keypress and this does allow for some advanced plays.
    PAYMENT MODELS
    • Camelot is going to charge a monthly fee on top of your initial box price.
    • Crowfall will be buy to play like Guild Wars 2 and require no subscription fee. Once you buy the game you have access to all of its features. 
    LONG TERM GOALS
    • It is hard for me, as a lover of Camelot, DaoC, Warhammer, Mythic Entertainment and Marc Jacobs in general to say that it is hard for me to see what the long term play is here. On my server there is a 1 in 3 shot that my realm will be better than the other sides. There will be buffs to players on the realms that aren't as good but that can take fair play away from PvP. So I could end up on a server where the enemy doesn't provide much of a fight for me, or I could even be on the crappy end of the stick. When it comes to expansion content, they stated they didn't want to add dungeons and such so I am not sure what they could add to the game three years from now to keep things fresh for the players other than new zones while you still fight the same enemy teams. I feel like this "PvP Only" game will eventually have to turn to adding a few PVE dungeons to keep the player base strong.
    • In Crowfall, you get a long term pro that is also a con. Campaigns that you play on only last a few months, so every few months you will be fighting new players, new enemies, and have different rulesets. And while this seems like a great way to keep the game from getting stale, it also doesn't really allow for rivalries to be created or any sort of server or realm pride. But I do like the fact that the maps will change and get tougher as they go and there are different rings within a campaign that add difficulty to it at the potential possibility of better rewards and you also have the knowledge of if you are your guild are getting rocked this campaign you should still hang in there until the end so you can get rewards you could possibly bring to your eternal kingdom or even the next campaign. 
    These are the topics that are important to me when it comes to PvP games and as I said I will play both but I was blown away with the testing in Crowfall that I went from trying it to appease two of my friends who were in the tests, to pledging myself because of how much fun I had. I will pay to play Camelot and i will buy and then play Crowfall for free so I can have the best of both worlds. 
  • JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    I would rather have great game mechanics over great graphics/animations.  CU will be a tri-realm rvr game with some pretty huge 3-way battles.  They have to consider how much lag the average player would be dealing with.  Even with DAoC, when it first came out, i had to upgrade my pc.  Good times.  :)

Looking forward to playing both games also.
    Haroo!
  • Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Honestly, the graphics of CU don't worry me much.  Maybe it's just me, but I've dealt with games without amazing graphics most of my life (we didn't have much in the 80's early 90's) so I'm not too concerned.  Not to mention I feel like CU's graphics look pretty good while CW is going for the cartoony/wowish graphics which really don't impress me much.

I think @Loke666 really brought up the best point in whether the games will be fun for long term.  I'm looking more for CU personally but the fun is the real question. 
  • arcundoarcundo Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Franciscourant said:
    [snip pictures with nice graphics]
    Have you seen the ballista test?
    edited April 2016
    arcundo said:
    Franciscourant said:
    Are you talking about the Vine showing the first functional iteration of the prototype version of the ballista? If yes, then yes.
  • SokekokeSokekoke Member UncommonPosts: 56
    edited April 2016
    Hahahaha what the fak, CU grpahics are a million times better than Cartoonfail
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited April 2016
    Is there a figure being bandied around for CU's subscription price? I seem to remember them saying it would be below market average, any ideas?
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Is there a figure being bandied around for CU's subscription price? I seem to remember them saying it would be below market average, any ideas?
    Nothing official yet other than the long ago (during KS?) comment from Mark you reference that it might be less than the typical $14.95/month.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Sokekoke said:
    Hahahaha what the fak, CU grpahics are a million times better than Cartoonfail
    It's two completely different styles, some people prefer more realistic like CU and others more stylized/cartoonish like CF. I think both studios try to create games that look great and imo they're well on their way to achieve that.  =)
  • aim4theheadxaim4theheadx Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited April 2016
    Graphics matter , if both these games come out with current visuals itll hurt the initial hype IMO. People dont build beast rigs to play garbage looking games. 

Honestly you guys arguing which looks better , both look like hot garbage compared to Korean MMO's. 

Both games look like PS3/360 games. 
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Graphics matter , if both these games come out with current visuals itll hurt the initial hype IMO. People dont build beast rigs to play garbage looking games. 

Honestly you guys arguing which looks better , both look like hot garbage compared to Korean MMO's. 

And how many of those Korean MMOs support 1000 player fights at good frame rates?

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    meddyck said:

And how many of those Korean MMOs support 1000 player fights at good frame rates?
    @meddyck I'd say "...at good frame rates" is unnecessary addition. Any of these would crash and burn 1 000 miles before even getting close to this number =)

But even if that wasn't the case, I prefer CU/CF visuals to anything Korean, by far.
     W...aaagh?
    meddyck said:

@meddyck I'd say "...at good frame rates" is unnecessary addition. Any of these would crash and burn 1 000 miles before even getting close to this number =)

But even if that wasn't the case, I prefer CU/CF visuals to anything Korean, by far.
    I wonder if BDO engine could support large battles of that size if they reduced the polys of the models / VFX / graphics ameliorations / environment and all. The biggest fight I've seen in video for BDO was ~200 players.
    arcundo said:
    Franciscourant said:
    Are you talking about the Vine showing the first functional iteration of the prototype version of the ballista? If yes, then yes.
    Yea, the graphics has quite a different quality.
    edited April 2016
    arcundo said:
    arcundo said:
    Franciscourant said:
    As far as I know it's the same graphics quality, but since Vine videos are created by using a camera, in the studio, to record what is shown on the screen of the developers, the graphics quality seems to be lower. An in-game screenshot of the ballista test would most likely have looked like this:

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    People often show the things that never matter to me.
    A model doesn't matter one bit once you cover it in gear.Trees and brush are nothing any decent engine not from 1980-1990 can't pull off.
    So what's left for graphics??The assets that's what,water,trees,brush.rocks are near meaningless as EVERY game has them.

Like in that screenshot,the graphics look awful because all i see is the same structure like castle,it looks more like a Starcraft or CnC module game rather than some believable world.Devs need to do a better job of bringing their worlds to life and feeling like a world and not looking like some computer game.

Again in that screenshot,you wouldn't even need a skilled designer to pull off that entire screen with about 4 hours of work,from creating the few textures to the similar walls and a flag.I could actually d/l for free those brick textures,this is NOT what i would pay any money to play,matter of fact not even good enough to play for free.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    meddyck said:

They have shown videos on Twitch of CU running with 1000 bots all fighting and running around and casting spells at solid framerates in a small area.

If there is any one thing CU has really going for it is the fact that it was designed from the ground up to run good with a massive amount of players on the screen actively doing stuff.
    arcundo said:
    arcundo said:
    Franciscourant said:
    As far as I know it's the same graphics quality, but since Vine videos are created by using a camera, in the studio, to record what is shown on the screen of the developers, the graphics quality seems to be lower. An in-game screenshot of the ballista test would most likely have looked like this:

OK, great!  The keep and the texture of the keep walls are very simple atm (sharp edges also), and is a contrast to the nice grass, horizon and sky.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

meddyck said:

And, as usual, there's the rub.  The consumer doesn't seem to grasp that kind of stuff.  They don't know about game engines and polygons and all that jazz.  All the base consumer knows is that the graphics and pictures look like something from 10-20 years ago, so it must be a low-budget, school-project type game.

Sadly, it most certainly will cost both of the aforementioned games a ton of players.

Of course, on the flip side, the Korean games draw in tons of players just because pretty graphics is what they are.  Granted, those people may not stick around when they find out how the gameplay in most of them is, but they always climb over each other to try them.

I think there are many players who would love the concept of massive open battlefield sieges with hundreds/thousands of players, but even more won't make it that far because of the graphics.
  • shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166
    I dont know what pictures you guys are looking at but Camelot Unchained looks amazing to me. Beautiful rolling grasslands, realistic looking forest biomes, awesome shadows.

Sometimes in daoc i would be out swimming around in the water at Jord boat drop just completely immersed in my surroundings. This game is going to provide that total immersion. Its huge and open and realistic and beautiful.

I personally think korean games look fake.

But i also think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The animations do look awful but that is certainly going to change. It has been said in just about every live stream that the animations are placeholders. Someone just whipped out some quick animations just so that they could test core mechanics and obviously they will be greatly improved.

It seems to me as though the type of person who will be interested in the type of game that this is, will be more inclined to prefer a realistic over a cartoony art style. Marc Jacobs, from everything i have heard him say or write is not aiming at the masses.