Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much you planning on backing for COE KickStarter?

Comments

• MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Maygus said:
    Thanks @GrumpyHobbit - The current goal is Q3 2017 - hope to see you back here by then if you're still interested pending outcome of KS.

As for the toxic cesspool, most of that is on here and reddit from a limited subset of users. Other's just blankly "won't support KS's" or are not interested without any added vitriol thankfully.
    Knowing me I will donate but I won't mention it of course just to save face :)

Funny thing is I have dabbled with game design and have a few GDD's myself and a number of your idea's were things I was working on such as the whole having children idea and the idea about returning back to how I got started which was putting in 10p for 3 lives type of gaming. So you totally have my support morally and design wise and perhaps money wise but keep that a secret ;)

One thing is for sure though, I will be checking out your KS to get a better feel for things.
    NB: I'm not staff. Just a community member seeking feedback on here...
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Maygus said:
    Maygus said:
    Thanks @GrumpyHobbit - The current goal is Q3 2017 - hope to see you back here by then if you're still interested pending outcome of KS.

As for the toxic cesspool, most of that is on here and reddit from a limited subset of users. Other's just blankly "won't support KS's" or are not interested without any added vitriol thankfully.
    Knowing me I will donate but I won't mention it of course just to save face :)

Funny thing is I have dabbled with game design and have a few GDD's myself and a number of your idea's were things I was working on such as the whole having children idea and the idea about returning back to how I got started which was putting in 10p for 3 lives type of gaming. So you totally have my support morally and design wise and perhaps money wise but keep that a secret ;)

One thing is for sure though, I will be checking out your KS to get a better feel for things.
    NB: I'm not staff. Just a community member seeking feedback on here...
    Fair enough but worth mentioning :)

I really do like the design so far though and it will be interesting seeing if they can pull everything off and I hope they will.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited April 2016
    They would have gotten something from me but for permadeath. Not the kind of game I want to invest my time into. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I'll gladly support a finished product, as long as it has an appeal to me, which this does..there are plenty of games that are finished to spend my money on, until that changes I won't be donating or investing anything.

Don't get me wrong I understand why devs use crowdfunding, I understand why many invest in it as well. SO I wish luck to them, I'll also spare them the lecture or insight they don't need nor want to hear.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2016

MikePt said:

It's your own fault guys I don't remember any good kickstarters all were trash and I could not understand how you people fall into it .....none of previous Kickstarters provided what COE did

-Ground breaking changes .
    -Amazing world with really nice animation even if game is still in early early  development .

I think they should make a Small demo 15 min of game play at least with combat and some of their feature brifly ...
    If I see that they can combine all of this I will make this last Leap of faith for CoE project

And from what I remember all these kick shit starters have had lot of hype from MMOrpg just like Crowfall which I think will fail

TO back up my words here is the video

Notice those animations notice those clothing Physics ant now think about it until recently Project consisted only of 2 people and only from recent time their team is out of 14 man If I'm not wrong .

so Out of all those kick started you sheepish mmorpg.com crowd were hyped off this is actually first Kick starter that I see to have potential .

To justify my critique here is another example

All this kick starter fail are on behalf of sheepish people like you .

To justify my self third time should I throw here
    CoE weather system video ? Even Skyrim modding community  didn't reach such a good progress at this.

Also I think MMORPG.com had a bigger influence of these fails than WOW as many amuse mmorpg often Hyped like crazy some unworthy project remember Holy war against ESO in favor of Wield Start I still remember ....

And how many times I was banned for openly saying that MMORPG it's a marketing tool...

Kiyoris (or whatever the name was lol)? 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I wish them luck getting funding, but to ask regular people like ourselves to contribute money to a game that might never be finished is too hard.

• MikePtMikePt Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Looks like CoE is going for crowdfunding not at a good time :( I hope this is reaction of loud minority I hope...

OP do you know are guys at Soul-bound preparing anything before Kickstarter? a demo or a detailed video seems most of people don't even know what CoE is about so much miss understood......

Wonder how much WildStar wasted on pre release Hype.....

MikePt said:
    Looks like CoE is going for crowdfunding not at a good time :( I hope this is reaction of loud minority I hope...

OP do you know are guys at Soul-bound preparing anything before Kickstarter? a demo or a detailed video seems most of people don't even know what CoE is about so much miss understood......

Wonder how much WildStar wasted on pre release Hype.....

This is the loud minority on here.

As for pre-KS they are planning more videos and content. We will for one have a DJ or two, at least on combat and with luck the changes to the children system.

At PAX East (if you can attend) you can get hands on for some demo time. Full extent I am not sure what will be in it. But I don't imagine that build will be released beyond Soulbound running it on some demo machines there.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    edited April 2016
    nothing.  if this games wants to get made it should impress some investors.  not talk a bunch of hyperbole [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
    edited April 2016
    muffins89 said:
    nothing.  if this games wants to get made it should impress some investors.  not talk a bunch of hyperbole [mod edit]
    What hyperbole are you referring to? Did you read this comment I re-posted from reddit that Soulbound put up?

Happy to have a discourse on this topic, helps me understand your viewpoint better and my interactions with other people down the track with similar mindsets. I have a personal interest in wanting this game to succeed. It'll not only revitalize the MMORPG genre but with luck stem a whole new plethora of game designs down the track and a 'break from the norm'.
    Post edited by Amana on

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    edited April 2016
    imo.  everything they've put out to the media so far is hyperbole.  because they can't as of yet finish the game as they want it without funding.  nothing is real yet.  everything they've shown has been attempt to draw in interest in order to get money.
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    edited April 2016
    muffins89 said:
    The issue with new ground is getting investors is very difficult. Its even more so when a current formula is still working. Investors are usually not willing to put money into a new idea when the old idea is still working. Also, investors like to make sure they have a say(sometimes an executive say) in how things develop. This means the game has to change to the vision of an investor and not stay the vision of the developer. By using crowd funding it allows the developers to maintain creative control of the game and keep it within their vision.

If I had more money available I would crowd fund many MANY projects. This is because I do not like the current state of the industry. I havent enjoyed a new game for very long in many years. Games that come out now all feel similar and within an hour or two, sometimes less, they become terribly repetitive. I scroll through Kickstarter every so often and many of the ideas look great, and Id love to see some of them be successful. Just like when I browse the MMORPG.com In Development section for games. A lot of them look great and I would love to see them come to be. The industry wont change until players either stop buying the newest games that come out just to have it, or until the players decide that crowd funding projects that interest them is worth it. To me, that time is now.
    Post edited by Amana on
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Nothing.

It is becoming more and more evident that MMO(RPG)s and crowdfunding do not mix. How many successful launches? Practically none. How many failures? Too many to easily remember.

Making a decent MMO takes too much funding and time to have any reasonable chance from crowdfunding alone (SC notwithstanding).

So, at this point, if some company wants me to buy an MMO, they can effin make it, first.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2016
    As much i like the game design so far ,i do not give free money away.
    I said it before if a game developer wants me or others on board they should sell shares,that is the proper way to do it,that is how a good friend started his developing studio.

BTW fails are happening in games in spite of what anyone thinks or says,it is developers simply being cheap,lazy and rushing out their games.It was actually MUCH better in days gone by because 90% would scoff at devs trying to panhandle unfinished games,now devs call them early access and really bad consumers are supporting it with $$$$.

There is common sense and then there is plain stupidity,idk if some just have too much money to waste or they are that dumb but either way i see lot's of money foolishly tossed around.Just go to Twitch and see the massive amount of money  thrown at cleavage or whiny kids like Reynad.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
      I see quality here and the systems they are implementing alone are worth the investment. Bottom line is were not going to get the games we want up front anymore the industry has changed if you cant see that then you are on the wrong site.  But I do feel like crowd funding has cheapened the MMO industry at the same time, I see a lot of shit games get funded.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Where did you get those numbers...

noboddy in his right mind should support a game kickstarter with more then $50...   With $50 giving access to the game at release..

Dont you all have to work for your money?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    I'm yet to back a game for more than $100, and I don't see CoE changing that... but really it depends on what they have to show; the more in-game footage and details the better.

The rewards tiers may matter to some extent, but I'm not really one for physical items (shipping really kills it) or titles, and I do enough software testing already without paying for the 'privilege'.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Maygus said:
    muffins89 said:
    nothing.  if this games wants to get made it should impress some investors.  not talk a bunch of hyperbole and feed on the weak minded fanboys.
    What hyperbole are you referring to? Did you read this comment I re-posted from reddit that Soulbound put up?

Happy to have a discourse on this topic, helps me understand your viewpoint better and my interactions with other people down the track with similar mindsets. I have a personal interest in wanting this game to succeed. It'll not only revitalize the MMORPG genre but with luck stem a whole new plethora of game designs down the track and a 'break from the norm'.
    I read the whole comment and I agree that the money is going to have to come from somewhere else than stingy investors.  That somewhere should not be "Hey, give me 100-10000?? dollars and if/when we finish this game with some/all/maybe a few of the features that we promised, then you get to play it like everyone else who didn't give us extra free money".

Instead, go public and offer shares.  I'll buy a few if I think that the game has what I'm looking for, and not only that, but if you're successful, then we're both successful.  

If complying with Sarbanes Oxley and the SEA are too time consuming and you don't want that much of your company finances to be public, then do what Ben & Jerries did in 1984 and do a Direct Public Offering.  The downside to DPO is that technically only people in the state where the company is based can buy those stocks, but there's ways around that with state based brokers.

Seriously though, I'm not going to hand someone a hot grand and my super awesome reward is a few extra gold coins when the game comes out while the owner is dropping mills on a summer house in malibu.  Ain't gonna happen.
  • CaeoltoiriCaeoltoiri Member UncommonPosts: 3
    @H0urg1ass There won't be any currency in Chronicles of Elyria, not when players start out anyways. You'll have to mine the ore and smelt it down into coin and mint that into a regional currency, on top of making people accept that type of payment instead of through normal bartering. Some kingdoms might not accept your currency.

As for shares; I confess I know little to nothing about such topics, and will decline to comment.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    edited April 2016
    @H0urg1ass There won't be any currency in Chronicles of Elyria, not when players start out anyways. You'll have to mine the ore and smelt it down into coin and mint that into a regional currency, on top of making people accept that type of payment instead of through normal bartering. Some kingdoms might not accept your currency.

As for shares; I confess I know little to nothing about such topics, and will decline to comment.
    I get it, and I wasn't really delving into game mechanics here.  I'm simply pointing out that the trope of "Spend $200 on the game and we'll give you this super cool mount with wings and some free furniture for your house" is just... moronic.

For instance, the Crowfall packs were just hilarious.  Drop a grand you get all of this in-game shinies!  How about I drop a grand, you shave $50 bucks off for the price of the game and convert the rest to shares in your company?  When you have 12 million players, then we'll both be chilling in our summer beach houses.

I dunno.  'Practical me' just hates the idea of Kickstarters.  It's a one way street.  Can you imagine giving Bill Gates 10 grand to help start Microsoft and twenty years later you're still driving around a beat up yugo to your 9-5 and he has half a dozen houses?  Hell no.  Those people who invested in MS tapped out of the work force years ago.
  • CaeoltoiriCaeoltoiri Member UncommonPosts: 3
    H0urg1ass said:

I get it, and I wasn't really delving into game mechanics here.  I'm simply pointing out that the trope of "Spend $200 on the game and we'll give you this super cool mount with wings and some free furniture for your house" is just... moronic.

For instance, the Crowfall packs were just hilarious.  Drop a grand you get all of this in-game shinies!  How about I drop a grand, you shave $50 bucks off for the price of the game and convert the rest to shares in your company?  When you have 12 million players, then we'll both be chilling in our summer beach houses.

I dunno.  'Practical me' just hates the idea of Kickstarters.  It's a one way street.  Can you imagine giving Bill Gates 10 grand to help start Microsoft and twenty years later you're still driving around a beat up yugo to your 9-5 and he has half a dozen houses?  Hell no.  Those people who invested in MS tapped out of the work force years ago.
    Ah, gotcha. I can definitely understand that. It's difficult to put so much money in virtual stock that likely wouldn't give you any returns.

With that being said, perhaps you could check this link out and send Soulbound Studios a message. I'm not sure if they're still evaluating their options for raising capital (Kickstarter is a go, obviously), but it wouldn't hurt to contact them if you're interested in becoming a private investor.

Either way, thank you for your input! I learned something new from your advice and even if I won't be applying it to Chronicles of Elyria, I'll make sure to keep it in mind for the future. It's definitely something to think about before putting down money on virtual goods.
  • FalendorFalendor Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Im a bit surprised to see all the kickstarter hate, i know not all project reach completion but many do (all the ones I've bothered to give money too so far are complete our in the final stretch).

I plan on making a larger size contribution to CoE (by my standards), i also consider it one of the riskier kickstarters i will have invested in. An MMO takes a very very large amount or recources to get functioning, on a technical level.
    However over the course of the past year (had to go back and look to make sure its really been a year, man can time fly) SS has impressed me with there vision, and dedication. They are trying to build the MMO i have always wanted to play (ive had way to many "are they reading my mind?" moments).

Basically my viewpoint is this: why spend 60$ on a AAA game i know i wont love when i can take that money and create a chance that the game i love will be created.
  • sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132
    no too early ... I will wait till it launches
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    If it reaches gold and I like the business model then I will part with money.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'm generally not a Kickstarter supporter unless it's one of those rare cases where the project is backed by a well-known team with good credentials AND it looks to me as though the idea is solid and can be done well with the funding level requested.

IMHO, most Kickstarters are pie-in-the-sky dreams that have no hope of delivering anything remotely like a game I'd actually WANT to play.

In the case of CoE, the game concepts are certainly interesting, but I don't believe that they will be a commercial success. If I'm proved wrong, I'll happily "invest" in the game after it has launched and proven itself...