Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is the excitement in this?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
what is the excitement in this? isnt this taking steps backwards? what will change the previous outcome?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    As a fan of Unholy Wars, I think it's a step back and both New Dawn and Rise of Agon have more work to modernize the code than to have bought the rights to use a modern pre-built engine (IE Unreal, Cryengine etc) and made their own game from it.

I can't say much more, NDA's are NDA's.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Nostalgia?

Idk, I'm pretty excited to try them out because I never had a chance to play original DF. Only UW, which nobody plays.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
    OhhPaigey said:
    Nostalgia?

Idk, I'm pretty excited to try them out because I never had a chance to play original DF. Only UW, which nobody plays.
    Sign on up. I'm not sure when the New Dawn testing phases will begin, but RoA has begun alpha in phases of 500 at a time, or you can buy in (50 bones for alpha access, 20 for beta) however the buy in may be a limited time gig until the beta test phase, they haven't decided yet. 
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    OhhPaigey said:
    Nostalgia?

Sign on up. I'm not sure when the New Dawn testing phases will begin, but RoA has begun alpha in phases of 500 at a time, or you can buy in (50 bones for alpha access, 20 for beta) however the buy in may be a limited time gig until the beta test phase, they haven't decided yet. 
    Pretty sure I'm signed up to both, I'm gonna wait on my new GPU before I buy more games. I can hardly run anything lool.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    what is the excitement in this? isnt this taking steps backwards? what will change the previous outcome?
    I think there are a decent amount of people who probably liked the game but it had issues and those issues were deal breakers. If these developers can shore up some of the problems it could retain a devoted fan base.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Spool1Spool1 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Luckily New Dawn is going to change a lot of things from vanilla Darkfall. Basically this is how it goes. Ub3rGames is taking Darkfall 2012, and going back and making the changes Aventurine always made from the get go back in 07' when it was released. There will be proper territorial control through the new mechanics of Watchtowers throughout the entire map. Wars will be fought over these Watchtowers before cities and hamlets can be sieged, thus front lines will be formed and easily visible from the map. They are setting up the game to be a proper MMO again to which it will appeal to people other than just PVPers. They will be expanding vastly on their crafting and harvesting systems allowing for people to specialize heavily in them. The are expanding the economy of the game by giving regional goods, trading caravans and reason to move actual assets from one place to another other than simple "Trade Run" quests, so that  being a trader will be a profitable profession.There are some spectacular changes lined up for their new vision of Darkfall and you can read up on their overall roadmap of changes here,

https://darkfallnewdawn.com/new-dawn-in-a-nutshell/

While on the other hand Darkfall: Rise of Agon (RoA) will be taking Darkfall 2012 as it was when the game was closed down and making minor changes to lesson the grind but overall keeping it a free for all arena without any fundamental changes. Basically they are just reviving the game for the few PvPers that stayed around prior to the shutdown of the original Darkfall servers. They are not really offering anything other than to get that nostalgia feeling back which is mainly what their community wants anyway.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Spool1 said:
    Luckily New Dawn is going to change a lot of things from vanilla Darkfall. Basically this is how it goes. Ub3rGames is taking Darkfall 2012, and going back and making the changes Aventurine always made from the get go back in 07' when it was released. There will be proper territorial control through the new mechanics of Watchtowers throughout the entire map. Wars will be fought over these Watchtowers before cities and hamlets can be sieged, thus front lines will be formed and easily visible from the map. They are setting up the game to be a proper MMO again to which it will appeal to people other than just PVPers. They will be expanding vastly on their crafting and harvesting systems allowing for people to specialize heavily in them. The are expanding the economy of the game by giving regional goods, trading caravans and reason to move actual assets from one place to another other than simple "Trade Run" quests, so that  being a trader will be a profitable profession.There are some spectacular changes lined up for their new vision of Darkfall and you can read up on their overall roadmap of changes here,

https://darkfallnewdawn.com/new-dawn-in-a-nutshell/

While on the other hand Darkfall: Rise of Agon (RoA) will be taking Darkfall 2012 as it was when the game was closed down and making minor changes to lesson the grind but overall keeping it a free for all arena without any fundamental changes. Basically they are just reviving the game for the few PvPers that stayed around prior to the shutdown of the original Darkfall servers. They are not really offering anything other than to get that nostalgia feeling back which is mainly what their community wants anyway.
    So New Dawn sounds a bit more interesting between the two choices. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

So New Dawn sounds a bit more interesting between the two choices. 
    Well it all depends where your coming from and here are a few scenarios,

1) If your a hardcore returning DF 2012 and want the same game back without many changes you'll want RoA.

2) If you are a person who played vanilla Darkfall and left because the devs failed to bring many of the features they first promised then you'll be very interested in Darkfall: New Dawn.

3) If you have never played Darkfall then also, Darkfall: New Dawn is the place for you to begin looking at the game. It will be a lot more noob friendly and the devs are focusing a lot of their attention of first player experience. They will also be putting a lot of effort into the UI in order to make it so you will not need to use macros/scripts to play the game in PVP efficiently.

4) If you have never played Darkfall but you are typically a hardcore full loot PVP MMO type of player, you might want to give RoA a try, but you'll need to adopt many macro's/scripts to help you be competitive in PVP with other players off the get go. Everything from scripts the help you fire Ray Spells one after another, scripts for equipping 1h weapons and shields, scripts for buffing yourself and so on (as there are over 100 spells a competent Darkfall PVP will use at any given time and the hotbar only shows you 10 spells at once. So either you'll be frequently using hot keys to go through 10 menu's of hotbars for the right spells, or you macro/script most things to a few keys)

Most of the attention/attraction and media over the coming months will be around RoA because there are a lot of hardcore Darkfall 2012 veterans returning to play it for nostalgia reasons. But in future Darkfall: New Dawn will be the game to appeal to a new audience and hopefully grow the player base to players other than solely being PVPers, and grow gameplay more around Territory Control and Conquest style fights (Eve Online style of map control) rather than a free for all PVP arena game which RoA is aiming their efforts towards.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    the excitement lies with a few hundred people that really like the old darkfall.  it's not going to be mainstream.
    I have to disagree a little about the new players thing. Honestly most of what people had a problem with in the original was certainly taken care of in Unholy Wars, not to mention graphics look a thousand times better. But no one really gave it a chance and instead were upset that the original shut down because of it's release. 
    edited April 2016
    I have to disagree a little about the new players thing. Honestly most of what people had a problem with in the original was certainly taken care of in Unholy Wars, not to mention graphics look a thousand times better. But no one really gave it a chance and instead were upset that the original shut down because of it's release. 
    This came mainly as a protest against Aventurine. Everyone lost faith in AV as a company and Tasos as a CEO well before the end of vanilla Darkfall. Most people were angry that their hard earn money which they spent subbing to the game was being spend by AV on making another game that they didn't want and was too dumbed down. 

Darkfall:UW died because people did not want to give the developers any more money. As trust from the community had already been burnt out years ago. Vanilla Darkfall had around 160,000 copies sold, mostly on the promise of features that were never delivered. While a lot of these original ideas for vanilla Darkfall were also not included in Darkfall:UW.

Whats shown here is that there was massive support for a MMORPG that everyone had been waiting for. But unfortunately Aventurine failed to deliver and everyone gave up their hopes on the regional game that was promised.

Darkfall: New Dawn is trying to bring back the original promise that AV made to us when they first released Darkfall and do it right, finishing off all their unfinished features, and developing all the features they were either too scared to try or never bothered to get around to.
    I wouldn't say DFUW is dead by any means, but there aren't as many playing these days which certainly takes away from the Risk-like gameplay (Conquest/Clan wars, whatever you wish to call it).

I have hopes for both renditions to be successful, My curiosity certainly peaks at to how long the gameplay will hold up for the current consumers. I guess boiling down to how long until people get tired of the game from over playing, which we both know leads down the treacherous path of the smallminded bashing that really does no good other than shying people away from something that they may actually enjoy. IE the fate of DFUW in it's current state.

While it may be a great series with great gameplay and concepts. We can only hope that the people will give it a fair shot instead of just writing it off as usual.  
  • kdchankdchan Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited April 2016
    New Dawn will be completely different from the original game, this is the reason i'm happy and hyped again, devs know the flaws of the game.

I feel the 2009 again, hope they deliver all the features they promised, a thing that Aventurine never able to deliver cause their incompetence.

Also please guys stop with UW comparisons, is an awfull fork of the original game, in my book that game never existed.
    The nextgen sandbox
    Crowfall - LiF: MMO - Darkfall: New Dawn
    kdchan said:
    New Dawn will be completely different from the original game, this is the reason i'm happy and hyped again, devs know the flaws of the game.

I feel the 2009 again, hope they deliver all the features they promised, a thing that Aventurine never able to deliver cause their incompetence.

Also please guys stop with UW comparisons, is an awfull fork of the original game, in my book that game never existed.
    Kind of hard for myself and others like me. I only ever played Unholy Wars and testing/debugging RoA alpha...

From my current experience, Darkfall is barely a shadow of Unholy Wars. Bold statement if you never gave it a shot. 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I'm super excited for New Dawn. The idea of taking Darkfall and working to make it more of the game it should have been is like a dream come true. I say this being highly critical and skeptical about MMOs in 2016, but these folks have more than demonstrated an understanding of not only what it takes to fix Darkfall, but what is necessary to make any MMORPG a game worth playing.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    So there is going to be 3 different Darkfalls??? Unholy Wars, Rise of Agon, and New Dawn????

How would anybody think that spreading the same niche of people so thin is good or even possible?

I'm a huge Darkfall fan but damn .. . we do not have enough people playing this game as it is... and its the carebear version compared to the first one.

I guess the more launches, the better.. and I will be sure to catch each one. I hope that others do the same so racial wars is around for a bit. Nooby PVP was so fun, remember that shizzle??!? So excited.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

Personally, I think Aventurine lacked both the vision and the capability of ever making Darkfall the game it was meant to be. Seeing as how Rise of Agon is merely emulating a game that fell short of all its goals, they will likely suffer the same fate.

New Dawn, on the other hand, has a lot of promise. I found Ub3rgames understanding of MMOs and their inner workings rather shocking. I did not expect someone to come along and really have a solid plan on how to fix and improve upon a game like Darkfall.

https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,579.0.html

• XyireXyire Member UncommonPosts: 152
    So there is going to be 3 different Darkfalls??? Unholy Wars, Rise of Agon, and New Dawn????

How would anybody think that spreading the same niche of people so thin is good or even possible?

I'm a huge Darkfall fan but damn .. . we do not have enough people playing this game as it is... and its the carebear version compared to the first one.

I guess the more launches, the better.. and I will be sure to catch each one. I hope that others do the same so racial wars is around for a bit. Nooby PVP was so fun, remember that shizzle??!? So excited.
    Yep I agree the 3 versions is a bit odd... too bad unholy wars wasn't so good.  I liked the gameplay but it lacked alignments and meaningful choices in favor of arena style combat.

I personally am most interested in New Dawn.  They seem to have a very clear plan that I agree with.  Emphasizing alignments and fixing the user interface so you don't need macros to be competitive (you can bind sword and board to 1 slot with New Dawn, etc)  Also trying to get the combat set up so everyone doesn't have to be a hybrid to compete (though they emphasize that hybrid will still be very viable) and removing leveling of swimming, jumping, and running.

RoA sounds like it is trying to be a mostly vanilla version of darkfall with an attempt to not change much.  They arn't very verbal about what they're planning so I'm not sure exactly whats up with it.  From what I've heard they're doing more minor tweaks like mount speed changes that don't really address the reasons DF1 lacked population.  Who knows what it will end up as though!
    Honestly I want both RoA and ND..

I miss the old Darkfall and a relaunch would be fun! (rise of agon)

Also....

A relaunch of another Darkfall after that??? (new dawn)

Wow!! I am starting to get really excited for the future!

I've been following FFA PVP servers for a long time and the launch is always the funnest.. now that I know there will be a guaranteed Darkfall launch.. twice! That is really good news!!

I hate grinding and PVP right after the launch is totally fun! No grind necessary..

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Those that played DFO and enjoyed it are people that are today looking for a replacement game and have been doing for the last years. Myself included. I did have a fantastic time in DFUW, but the lack of players eventually killed it, sadly. DFUW seem to be going down pretty soon. No communication from the devs.

I have hope for these two teams. It's nice that there's competition between them. That will most likely make them keep going, steal some ideas from one another. Maybe even merge as one big unit eventually. 

It is the best PvP experience I've had and NOTHING comes close to it. The amount of adrenalline in the fights was out of this world when it comes to gaming.
    It seems like Unholy Wars is pretty dead right now.. but I'm online harvesting and someone just dropped a siege. In the original game it was dead at times too... before each expansion there would be nobody online sometimes and it got really bad before Unholy Wars came out. I've been talking to people in teamspeak about the new ones and it seems that one (including all the girls) plan on staying in Unholy Wars and ignoring the rest. The day that a siege occurs that nobody shows up to is the day that its truly dead. I've been playing for 7 years and find myself at times only logging in to pay taxes. I never played this one nearly as much as the original though.

• Icky_BlehIcky_Bleh Member UncommonPosts: 11
    The cheats out for it yet?
    They are working on new hack prevention as we speak. They have an active GM who bans abusers while they monitor what exploits and hacks are being used.

Ub3rgames is NOT Aventurine. They have and continue to fix bugs and QOL issues that have plagued the game since the original launch.

• KaminaxiusKaminaxius Member UncommonPosts: 104
    edited July 2016
    The dev team behind this project seems incredibly competent and committed. Reading through their roadmap concludes that the game will be receiving what can only be categorized as a complete overhaul.

That's what has gotten me excited again. Finally a competent company with the source code in their hands. We all knew Darkfall had the potential back in 08-09'. Yet Aventurines incompetence and sleezyness led to failure after failure. 
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Seems very promising.