Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much you planning on backing for COE KickStarter?

Comments

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Im very skeptical about this business model.
    If you die too many times you have to pay for a new character. This means it becomes a game about not dying. No room for experiment or risk.
    It also gets expensive if you want to use alts.
  • MikePtMikePt Member UncommonPosts: 47
    OP we should agree that mmorpg.com is a crowd of sheeplee. Cya on CoE forum )))
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    I understand why people dont want to back a Kickstarter project. Ive seen a few that get funded then disappear or are garbage. BUT, the only way the industry will change is if smaller developers that are taking risks get the funds they need to make new games. Otherwise we will be stuck with another 10 years of WoW clone crap. The large publishers use a model that makes them the most money the fastest, thats their business. This leaves little(no) room for innovation and change. If people are fine with the terribly MMO's that are released by top publisher backed studios that all look and feel the same after 15 minutes, great, dont back new studios with new ideas in Kickstarter. But dont keep complaining how all the MMOs are the same and no one is developing good games. Its people that refuse to back small studios AND complain about the stagnant state of games that bother me the most. Those two things are directly connected.

I plan on backing CoE's Kickstarter with as much money as I can afford, which wont be much sadly. Ive found a few new games coming out that I would love to see made and will scrape together money to help fund them as well. This is because Im sick and tired of the same garbage being released over and over again with new names for spells and abilities and slightly better graphics.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    MikePt said:
    OP we should agree that mmorpg.com is a crowd of sheeplee. Cya on CoE forum )))
    I'm genuinely liking the feedback people are providing. Gives me food for thought on approaching people in the future when they nay-say the game.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309
    Zero.  I don't back kickstarters
  • whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    edited April 2016
    Nasa said:
    If you die too many times you have to pay for a new character. This means it becomes a game about not dying. No room for experiment or risk.
    Well to be completely fair, dying like this where it cost you actual real life money can only happen in two different ways, if a player kills you (coup de grace) and then they run a risk of being caught and facing a similar penalty, or if a particularly nasty NPC does it of which you should see them way before hand.  Both of these come with a "grace" timer where you lose no time after it happens so you don't just incur chain kill/spirit loss.

Being killed by a normal mob or being knocked out by a player doesn't incur any loss of spirit.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• WinterstoneWinterstone Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I usually back one or two KS games a year. I've already backed Dragon of Legends so I think this will be my next.

How much will depend on the perks and packages available.
    edited April 2016
    whilan said:
    Nasa said:
    Well to be completely fair, dying like this where it cost you actual real life money can only happen in two different ways, if a player kills you (coup de grace) and then they run a risk of being caught and facing a similar penalty, or if a particularly nasty NPC does it of which you should see them way before hand.  Both of these come with a "grace" timer where you lose no time after it happens so you don't just incur chain kill/spirit loss.

Being killed by a normal mob or being knocked out by a player doesn't incur any loss of spirit.
    Being killed by a player will make you loose spirit ? Well that a bad thing .....I played many game and in some world PVP was something crazy ....my friends rushed to max lvl to gank pvp open /quest area 
    they were spending  days and days just gaking .....some times rage was so big that server was getting together to hunt them down ...and after a few hours they  where returning again ..for the lols....in the end publisher had to add some Immersion breaking feature to make people safe from ganking by toggling pvp flag which was a kill for world pvp

I think Soul Spark for $ and death by players  won't do well because we've seen how far grifing can go

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Not backing this game because its going to be more expensive than a Sub based game no matter what they say about the model that you will spend $30 and buy a life that dies after X amount of time.  Looks like a good game but because they are not doing a P2P game I will stay far away from it.
  • maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    $0.00 CAD
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Since it's not an option I'll post it.

$0

That's ZERO.
  • Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    @danwest58 ; said:
    Not backing this game because its going to be more expensive than a Sub based game no matter what they say about the model that you will spend $30 and buy a life that dies after X amount of time.  Looks like a good game but because they are not doing a P2P game I will stay far away from it.
    Can you explain why you think itll be more expensive than a sub game?  If a Spark of Life costs $30 and you can play for at least 3 months, which is incredibly short, its cheaper than a sub game. Seeing as even those are PvP a lot will probably see at least 5-6 months of game time, I dont see how this will be more expensive than a sub game.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Oh, this is the one where you have to insert a quarter for another life, except the quarter is $30. I'll back it for zero dollars. I'm not into taking a share of the burden of risk on developing a game when I'm not seeing a share of the profit. 
  • TekroTekro Member UncommonPosts: 19
    As always.. some points are just wayyyyy out there and have no basic logic or premise...  But they have it and share it.. Ohhhh well...  

Backing this game without a doubt.. the amount not sure.. but definitely above the 'box' cost but depends on perks and incentives that get me drooling!!!  :)  See you in game!!  Sooner than later I am hoping!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Arkade99 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Maygus said:
    DarLorkar said:
    No to KS.

No to buying game.
    Genuine query... any specific reason or just this game isn't your cup-of-tea?
    Personally I really doubt a full featured MMORPG can be made for less than $10M so most of these titles just aim too low.

Along with the feature plan, it probably is more important the indie dev share their financial backing and spending plan.

I guess that depends on what you consider full-featured. Crowfall has raised just under 7 mil (2.7 mil from crowdfunding) and, according to the devs, that is enough to make the game. They have reported several times on financial matters, on plans for investors, and on expected costs to make the game.

The key difference with Crowfall though is that it is almost entirely a PvP game. They aren't building a lot of PvE elements, which are what generally cost the most money to make. 

Regarding CoE, I can't say until I see what I'm going to get for my money (or at least what they say I'm going to get). I've only backed 2 games on KS, Crowfall and Project Gorgon. PG was after I had already been playing for some time and enjoying it, so I threw them 20 bucks. I'm not playing it any more, but I got my money's worth. I spent quite a bit more for Crowfall, but have yet to regret that investment. 

There's a different kind of satisfaction that I get from playing in pre-launch tests, which shouldn't be discounted. I started testing last September, more than a year before release. That's a lot of game sessions and a lot of fun, with new stuff being added on a regular basis. I also get to talk to the devs on occasion, pick their brains and offer ideas to help shape the game. All of that has value to me and is worth the price of admission. 

That's not to say that all games are worth backing. Some are, some aren't. It's a matter of finding the right games.
    Well, I backed CU because they too are focusing on a limited feature set, RVR mostly so I see how this might work, same for Crowfall.

Not sure about COE though, they appear to be promising more than their potential funding can deliver, unless a major surprise beyond the normal kickstarter results occurs.

Unless of course, they have an ace in the hole.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    When the game is released, that will be the time i consider buying into it.
    Until then, i will look on with interest, but little more, i don't think any game these days is worth paying money for before its even a thing, same goes with pre-orders, they are a mugs game.
    edited April 2016
    danwest58 said:
    If they will adjust every thing nicely it will be all good and cheaper than WOW subscription +base game +expansion
    From what I've read there will be talents that will rotten you body and your lose soul faster adn in game will be all kid of stuff that will affect this but if you will avoid you will last long ....

What I found hypocritical about mmo every one on mmorpg.com moan WOW killed mmos wow copy paste every where also you back up all kind of trash games... but when come a game with a fresh breeze every one just vanishes  wonder this is because you review idol don't scream  out loud OMG CoE has an amazing and ambitious plan but every one is just bashing this game before even kickstarter

I also burned I also bought trash early accesses I also bought Ever Quest Landmark just to support ever quest next and it was canceled ..

Why I will support CoE first of all because in comparison with other Kick starters they presented very tasty videos
    I've seen that World is very detailed - Skyrimflora Overhaul ))) MM LOVE IT
    I've seen nice toon animation which non of kickstarters you supported ever provided
    I've seen some nice physics
    I've seen weather System ...that is by far best I will ever manage to get in heavily moded skyrim.Or in any other game
    And I love the concept of Survival MMOrpg  same path Conan Exile is going by the way ....
    And the concept how you age
    And how we take park in the story

If these guys succeed at every thing they promise this will set new boundaries to MMORPG  genre

Remember the Hype for BDO and only 400copies sold well I still don't plan to play that cheap asian trash

By the way CoE  on www.fig.co  would be very very attractive
  • SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Game sounds interesting, but kickstarter/Crowd funding games is the suck. Its just getting suckers to invest with no potential return on investment. Its such a suckers bet even companies WITH plenty of money are getting people to do it, or pay for early access. Hmmmm...no financial risk, all profit, hell ya sign me up.

Answer to question. $0. (pre-purchase can suck it too). Will evaluate game after it is out and see if interested or will test if free to see if i like it first or not before they get ANY $.

~I am Many~

• GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    I once wanted to get into game design as a career but I would never want to be involved in a kickstarter project because everyone is SO TOXIC. Honestly, the vitriol that gets thrown about over a hobby is really sad. 

I say bring back the days of buying the finished product after reading a review from a descent mag or site and not be involved in all the drama for years upon years. 

If this game is good post release then I will buy it.
    Torval said:
    Maygus said:
    Kickstarters in general are a buy-in to a product with various reward levels and not an "give me $500 now and you'll get a return later"
    Your poll is flawed. The first option should be "I'm not backing the Kickstarter $0" not I'll prepurchase later. That's not relevant to the poll or the premise of the OP.

Yeah. I accidentally submitted it and couldn't edit.

Prob should have just redone a new one and got mods to delete/close the bad one. :(
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
    edited April 2016

I once wanted to get into game design as a career but I would never want to be involved in a kickstarter project because everyone is SO TOXIC. Honestly, the vitriol that gets thrown about over a hobby is really sad. 

I say bring back the days of buying the finished product after reading a review from a descent mag or site and not be involved in all the drama for years upon years. 

Soulbound have a good reply around this on reddit:

There's a change in the industry occurring right now, and it's a great change. In the early days of game development we made games in 2D, with sprite editors, and "programmer art" was generally good enough. From the mid 90's until recently however, there's been a growing expectation for high quality 3D assets which means games now require artists, animators, 3D models, sound engineers, composers, and visual effects Artists. That's in addition to the game programmers. Someone has to pay for all of that.

In 90's and 2000's as games got more expensive publishers filled that role. They'd get a concept or idea from a developer and if they liked it, they'd "green light" it and agree to pay the publisher an advance against royalties to develop the game. At different stages of development, the developers were expected to hit milestones in order to receive additional funding.

This worked great for 15 years, however Publishers are ultimately hedging their bets, and for every 10 profitable games you see on store shelves there were probably 100 that were not. So Publishers started becoming more selective, only choosing to finance games which they had a strong suspicion would be financially successful. While great for their business/bottom-line, it's horrible for the industry. It encourages clones and discourages innovation.

So here we are today. Today, with crowdfunding initiatives like Kickstarter, we've removed the middle man. Now you, the players are the Publishers. We as developers provide you with design journals, concepts, tech previews, and you let us know if you want to see the game made.

You let us know by backing us on Kickstarter, etc... and in exchange we give you copies of the game at a discount, access to exclusive content, swag, and other fun stuff. All of those things count against the revenue we make and thus, it's an advance against our royalties.

So all we've done is put the power of deciding which games get made, and how, into your hands.

If you do as you say: "WAIT until playable demos/robust in system gameplay videos are offered and decide for ourselves," then you're limiting yourselves to only the projects with significant financial backing from the beginning. While it's a good middle-ground, the amount of capital a developer begins with is in no way related to either a) how innovative, original, or fun their ideas are, and b) they ability to succeed in their goals given the right resources.

In short, back/support any game you're interested and excited about that you can stand to support. It's the only way innovation will occur, and it's your best chance at seeing the games made that you want to play.

Maygus said:

Soulbound have a good reply around this on reddit:

There's a change in the industry occurring right now, and it's a great change. In the early days of game development we made games in 2D, with sprite editors, and "programmer art" was generally good enough. From the mid 90's until recently however, there's been a growing expectation for high quality 3D assets which means games now require artists, animators, 3D models, sound engineers, composers, and visual effects Artists. That's in addition to the game programmers. Someone has to pay for all of that.

In 90's and 2000's as games got more expensive publishers filled that role. They'd get a concept or idea from a developer and if they liked it, they'd "green light" it and agree to pay the publisher an advance against royalties to develop the game. At different stages of development, the developers were expected to hit milestones in order to receive additional funding.

This worked great for 15 years, however Publishers are ultimately hedging their bets, and for every 10 profitable games you see on store shelves there were probably 100 that were not. So Publishers started becoming more selective, only choosing to finance games which they had a strong suspicion would be financially successful. While great for their business/bottom-line, it's horrible for the industry. It encourages clones and discourages innovation.

So here we are today. Today, with crowdfunding initiatives like Kickstarter, we've removed the middle man. Now you, the players are the Publishers. We as developers provide you with design journals, concepts, tech previews, and you let us know if you want to see the game made.

You let us know by backing us on Kickstarter, etc... and in exchange we give you copies of the game at a discount, access to exclusive content, swag, and other fun stuff. All of those things count against the revenue we make and thus, it's an advance against our royalties.

So all we've done is put the power of deciding which games get made, and how, into your hands.

If you do as you say: "WAIT until playable demos/robust in system gameplay videos are offered and decide for ourselves," then you're limiting yourselves to only the projects with significant financial backing from the beginning. While it's a good middle-ground, the amount of capital a developer begins with is in no way related to either a) how innovative, original, or fun their ideas are, and b) they ability to succeed in their goals given the right resources.

In short, back/support any game you're interested and excited about that you can stand to support. It's the only way innovation will occur, and it's your best chance at seeing the games made that you want to play.
    I understand all that but too many games have turned into nothing. I am all for waiting to see the end result and until the game is either released or gets canned I can wait patiently but...I really don't want all the drama that the community at large represents.

It is a toxic cesspool atm and I just don't want to support that side of game development (i.e. the non developers and their 'opinions').

Sure, I could be persuaded to support a game but I want to support it and then find out about it in a few years time without having everything in the game second guessed by...sorry to sound harsh....but self important morons without any clue about how game design works.

Crowdfunded games are cool, but listening to all the unrealistic and uninformed crap about the game while it is developed...get rid of it. Design the game, announce the main features, set a target goal for costs, hit the target and then get on with making it. See you in a few years...
    edited April 2016
    Thanks @GrumpyHobbit - The current goal is Q3 2017 - hope to see you back here by then if you're still interested pending outcome of KS.

As for the toxic cesspool, most of that is on here and reddit from a limited subset of users. Other's just blankly "won't support KS's" or are not interested without any added vitriol thankfully.

Maygus said:
    Thanks @GrumpyHobbit - The current goal is Q3 2017 - hope to see you back here by then if you're still interested pending outcome of KS.

As for the toxic cesspool, most of that is on here and reddit from a limited subset of users. Other's just blankly "won't support KS's" or are not interested without any added vitriol thankfully.
    Knowing me I will donate but I won't mention it of course just to save face :)

Funny thing is I have dabbled with game design and have a few GDD's myself and a number of your idea's were things I was working on such as the whole having children idea and the idea about returning back to how I got started which was putting in 10p for 3 lives type of gaming. So you totally have my support morally and design wise and perhaps money wise but keep that a secret ;)

One thing is for sure though, I will be checking out your KS to get a better feel for things.