Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Swtor worth getting into?

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Scambug said:
    I wish people would just forget about this game. The sooner SWTOR dies off the sooner someone can start working on a real Star Wars MMO instead of this BS online RPG quest grinder with a gfx engine so bad you can't even enjoy simple 8v8 PvP >:)
    Seriously people, stop supporting this non MMO. I beg you...

There will never be another SW MMO. If this one dies off, it's over and done.

MMO's are dead. No one is going to take the risk anymore. It's too expensive and too risky these days.
    Hell, even Blizzard got scared, dumped Titan development and instead went for an action shooter instead.

All you going to get are Online Action RPG's like Destiny and The Division with focus on consoles.

The only studios still developing fully fledged MMO's are Asian studios, as it's still big business in the East with the Pay 2 Win  F2P crap scheme.

I am pretty much done with MMO's these days. As they all Free 2 Crap games these days.

The only ones I play casually now and then is ESO on PS4 and FFXIV on PC.
    For the rest I play on the WiiU / 3DS  with my son and games like The Division (and single player RPG's) on PS4.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    You can play the class story level 1-50 for free. Its worth the time if... You like old school trinity combat. Im sick of twitch combat myself and it feels like a breath of fresh air. 
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Scambug said:
    I wish people would just forget about this game. The sooner SWTOR dies off the sooner someone can start working on a real Star Wars MMO instead of this BS online RPG quest grinder with a gfx engine so bad you can't even enjoy simple 8v8 PvP >:)
    LOL, sometimes I really wonder what you whiners do with your computers. Out of all the ones I've had the last few years, none of them had issues with running SWTOR.

Learn to clean your computer, bro. xD

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    JeroKane said:
    Scambug said:

MMO's are dead. No one is going to take the risk anymore. It's too expensive and too risky these days.
    Hell, even Blizzard got scared, dumped Titan development and instead went for an action shooter instead.

All you going to get are Online Action RPG's like Destiny and The Division with focus on consoles.

The only studios still developing fully fledged MMO's are Asian studios, as it's still big business in the East with the Pay 2 Win  F2P crap scheme.

I am pretty much done with MMO's these days. As they all Free 2 Crap games these days.

For the rest I play on the WiiU / 3DS  with my son and games like The Division (and single player RPG's) on PS4.

No need for another SW MMO. Currently EA Visceral is making an open universe SW game that will have optional multiplayer adventures. It is also on canon universe instead of legends, pretty sure that one will blow away SWTOR unless it is released after EAWare Austin put SWTOR in maintenance mode after a short "season 2 expansion".

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    You can play the whole game with just 14.99$ sub fee for a month. Just buy 1 month and if it doesn't work for you don't pay more. SWTOR is definitely worth the money for something so cheap. As f2p it is shit though, even after adding more restriction to f2p Rift can not get as shitty as SWTOR f2p, so you have been warned not to play as f2p.
    And Bingo was his name o!  This is so true.  f2p is a terrible and crippling experience in this game.
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

JeroKane said:
    Scambug said:

My crystal ball doesn't agree. If there's still one IP that has enough pull to make a big budget MMO viable it's Star Wars.
    Besides all it would take to get investors interested in MMOs again is one hit. If any of these upcoming kickstarter games makes it big, I guarantee it'll be followed by 10 years of big budget cloning like WoW was.
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Yes, if you enjoy Bioware style stories, and occasional grouping.  

Its the least MMOish MMO out there in my opinion, but it has the best story delivery mechanics of them all, it also has probably the 2nd best storytelling (Secret World wins this). 

It has its issues, but drop a months sub on it (so you get all the expansions and a bunch of unlocks) and you will find a very good value game that is very enjoyable the first couple of times around the ride.

If you are going to play Republic, Start with Smuggler or Jedi Knight, if you are going Imperial, all of the classes have good stories imho.
  • Saur0n69Saur0n69 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    Worst free to play model in the history of AAA mmos.  If it was based on something other than star wars I wouldn't touch it.  You can get a non-recurring 2 month sub which is enough to max out a bunch of characters and get preferred status but you still have to resub to play anything new.  PvP is also the worst I've ever seen in a AAA mmo.  Still though, it's the only star wars mmo aside from the swg emulators so what ever...
  • SubilacSubilac Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I am curious on whether I want to get into SWTOR or not, is there a good population on there, and if so is there a good roleplay population/community aswell?
    I played and got to lv 48 and just stopped. Maybe it was just my server, but I felt like I was playing a 1 player rpg. Rarely saw other players. Good story, but no MMO feel at all. I went on to GW2 after it went free to play and am having a blast. Very large population, easy to find a good guild, and am always being invited to dungeons and fractals. World map is huge and great story line. I am a 1999 EQ 1 vet and it has been very difficult for me to get back into a MMORPG, but like I said, I'm having a blast with GW2. 
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    It is a better single player game than MMO.

There are a lot of different things you can do, but most if not all are very shallow.

I have not played ESO so I can't say f it is better or worse.  I think the stories were all worth playing when there was 12x xp. 

The game is free, but the FTP is very restrictive.  I think if you are going to try it pick up a copy of the game somewhere cheap and get the 30 day membership plus the bonuses that come with it. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    JeroKane said:
    Scambug said:

No need for another SW MMO. Currently EA Visceral is making an open universe SW game that will have optional multiplayer adventures. It is also on canon universe instead of legends, pretty sure that one will blow away SWTOR unless it is released after EAWare Austin put SWTOR in maintenance mode after a short "season 2 expansion".
    I'd buy SW open world single player, on release day if it was Bethesda, CD Projekt RED or even Ubisoft, but I'm skeptical of Visceral under Electronic Arts. It will probably be a good 6 months before I'll even look at it.

I've been revisiting SWtOR. There are people around, but none who are interested in the story stuff I want to do in the lower levels. If you bring a person or 3 with you, it's probably alot more fun.
  • rahl2002rahl2002 Member CommonPosts: 3
    JeroKane said:
    The class stories are really fun! It is fun to level up your favorite class. I deeply enjoyed the Jedi Knight.

The early expansion questlines were also really good.

But then came KOTFE expansion late last year and that one blew me away! It's an amazing storyline! Had a blast leveling through it!  It's definetely worth it.

I agree that the Group Dungeons are meh, but if you like to play for the story, then it's defintely worth it and really recommend paying for the sub, to remove some ridiculous restrictions.
    I agree with the class stories, but don't like the KOTFE story so much - it is literally just one story and SWTOR has been that way a while now.

The voice acting, graphic are all immersive and top notch.

The FTP and Preferred restrictions are terrible. I was a sub and have unsubbed; I made sure to buy all the unlocks and other useful items with the creds I had. Still, I have to tolerate the low cred limit as a Preferred player.

Flashpoints are fun, though, some obviously better than others. There was much whining over the Tacticals but it seems the playerbase has largely adapted to the lack of a trinity system. Plus you always have weird or inexperienced people in the FPs, in all MMOs.
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Wizardry said:
    I can sum it up very easily.

Many will tell this and that,story yada yada,truth is this,be prepared to follow hundreds of linear quests,connect the dots and that is in essence your gaming experience.Some will argue ...oh but wait ,,,wait nothing this is what your going to be doing 99% of the time.

Then the combat you will be doing whilst on these lienear quests is imo very average at best.The first time i played all the classes i remained interested for a full month,now when i go back a few times i just can't fathom the combat system or endless meaningless quests.Oh btw the "meaning" is exactly what i said,meaningless that positive/negative system has so little bearing,so little meaning,might as well not even have it in there.
    Disclaimer: be very careful which posters you read and believe. Some have been copy/pasting the same QQing since day one and they continue today even though they don't even play the game. 
    Scambug said:
    I wish people would stop trying to tell people how to spend their money on a hobby they enjoy.  Seriously people you are not that special and have no business telling others what to do. 
    Goromhir said:
    I am curious on whether I want to get into SWTOR or not, is there a good population on there, and if so is there a good roleplay population/community aswell?
    stay Free to Play as long as possible. Tje game becomes extremly boring for many very fast.

That's funny it's still one of the top western mmos.  I'm also curious how you know how "many" feel?
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Goromhir said:
    stay Free to Play as long as possible. Tje game becomes extremly boring for many very fast.
    That's funny it's still one of the top western mmos.  I'm also curious how you know how "many" feel?
    Any MMOs get boring for many people after a while...  It is the bunch that stays that matters though but he is right in general.

My general tip is that if you enjoyed a game a month you should buy something, no matter if you have to since the game deserves it. Buying stuff just when you start is kinda bad since you might encourage games that doesn't deserve it, it is better to buy something after a month and then every month you still enjoys it, voting with your wallet (choose a sum you can afford and reflect how much you like the game but stay within reason, 5-15 bucks a month is a good sum depending on the game and your economy).

Playing a long time for free isn't good either, if the devs make a fun game you should encourage them to continue or they might change the game to more proffitable. And that goes for any F2P game, with B2P you can wait longer before buying anything.
  • mr1602mr1602 Member UncommonPosts: 216
    One of the few games I bought on launch and maintained my sub for.
    Enjoyed the story / choices / VA but I play it as a single player game and have rarely grouped due to real-life commitments.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    It's not really an MMO, it's more like Phantasy Star Online where you all sit in a hub and then load into dungeons and stuff.... pretty much like WoW today.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited April 2016
    tixylix said:
    It's not really an MMO, it's more like Phantasy Star Online where you all sit in a hub and then load into dungeons and stuff.... pretty much like WoW today.
    Only if you run flashpoints which is optional and that doesn't make you go through your class story which is themepark design and has your running all over the place (sometimes annoyingly aka back and forth over zones on a planets).
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    You can try it for free and make up your own mind.

I think EA and the cash shop along with the horrid hero engine hold this game back from being anything more than the novelty of a MMO with s single player story and some Star Wars...

If they made a less cartoony more open universe SWG with jump to lightspeed ships and planets only better with no focus on story and a focus on living in a Star Wars universe it would be something much more interested in playing than wahat SWTOR is.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    I love the comments from some who bash the game cause it's not a sandbox. No crap it's not a sandbox, it was never marketed or designed to be. Gamers are terrible, they review a game based on what they wanted it to be not on the merits of what it IS. Would I have loved a swg2? Yeah probably but as it is its an ok game. There are far worse out there...
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    ianicus said:
    I love the comments from some who bash the game cause it's not a sandbox. No crap it's not a sandbox, it was never marketed or designed to be. Gamers are terrible, they review a game based on what they wanted it to be not on the merits of what it IS. Would I have loved a swg2? Yeah probably but as it is its an ok game. There are far worse out there...
    Dont you love the guy who necro's a 4 month old thread more though?
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    I'm going to say absolutely not unless male jedi-robe shelf-ass is fixed. If it has been, then probably not still.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    This is an excellent casual, story driven game. Did you like Mass effect, Dragon age? While not quite on the same level as those games it is still very good. F2P is fine unless you are going to do a lot of PvP than yes you may want to sub, if you are just doing occasional Pvp and mostly PvE than you would be an idiot to pay for a sub. Even though this is classified as an mmo , it is not really except it has PvP, is is mostly a single player with mmo elements. Crafting is sub par and the space game is not JTL. That being said I would still recommend the game---go sith inquisitor
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    To me it was way too much of a single player experience and not a MMO...Also the cutscenes and voice acting got old fast.....