Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Swtor worth getting into?

SammybonesSammybones Member UncommonPosts: 18
I am curious on whether I want to get into SWTOR or not, is there a good population on there, and if so is there a good roleplay population/community aswell?

Comments

• SammybonesSammybones Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I am currently a hardcore ESO player so what does SWTOR have that ESO doesnt?
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Lightsabers.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    To each their own, but in my opinion, the game is just an ok RPG and a terrible MMO.  The story is pretty neat for one play through.  I've even played one of each class up to Legendary status, just for story...but after that, it's just plain bad.  Exploits (and long bans in response to the exploits) run rampant in the game. There are bugs still in the game from launch several years ago.  Fleet chat is a cesspool (unfortunately a common occurrence in most if not all games).  It typically consists of this person saying they're better than that person in PVP.  It never stops.  They have no cross realm anything, poorly tuned instances, and the raids are years old.  There is no flex raid system in place, so you either have to find a raiding guild (good luck) or pug (yuck).  Content is developed very slowly, and is usually rehashed (run the same old raids from previous expansions/release at higher levels).  It's free to pay but has the worst free to play restrictions in MMO's that I've experienced.  So don't play it without a sub of some sort or you'll be missing actions bars for example.  It's worth it if you want to experience the story.  I am sure folks out there enjoy this game, but I'm not sure why and honestly don't want to know.  Good luck.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I can sum it up very easily.

Many will tell this and that,story yada yada,truth is this,be prepared to follow hundreds of linear quests,connect the dots and that is in essence your gaming experience.Some will argue ...oh but wait ,,,wait nothing this is what your going to be doing 99% of the time.

Then the combat you will be doing whilst on these lienear quests is imo very average at best.The first time i played all the classes i remained interested for a full month,now when i go back a few times i just can't fathom the combat system or endless meaningless quests.Oh btw the "meaning" is exactly what i said,meaningless that positive/negative system has so little bearing,so little meaning,might as well not even have it in there.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I can sum it up very easily. 

Many will tell you that this and that, non-linear, this is this, the story is fantastic. If you're looking for SWG, then this is not the droid you're looking for. 

That being said, even those who are detractors have, apparently, played all classes. 

In the end, it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a game with good class-specific stories, then it's a lot of fun. I would go as far as to say that it has the best story-telling of any MMO in recent memory. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited March 2016
    Honestly, why don't you try it out yourself? It is F2P, you have nothing to lose and it's better than reading about obscure bias of the folks here...

The population is more than healthy, there is plenty of people in low lever areas and group content.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Gdemami said:
    Honestly, why don't you try it out yourself? It is F2P, you have nothing to lose and it's better than reading about obscure bias of the folks here...

The population is more than healthy, there is plenty of people in low lever areas and group content.
    ^Pretty much that.
    To answer the other question; yes, the game does have a healthy RP community. Both on the Progenitor (EU) and on the Ebon Hawk (NA) servers. 

If you're looking to get into that, then http://swtor-rp.com/ is a good place to start.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    It's worth giving a shot.  As said above, just try it out.  Pick a class or two, play them through level 10-20 or so and get a feel for how the game's going to work.  By then you should know if you're going to like it or not.  It's not extremely group-centric, but the gameplay and story are really good.  It's just not going to be a sandbox or major social experience...
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2016
    As the above say you can give it a try. Financially you don't need to sub or spend any money to do so. From a "will it be wasted time" perspective no its not that bad.

If you like it you might decide to continue up to a certain point; if you don't I suspect you will be able to return to TESO with new enthusiasm.  
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    You can play the whole game with just 14.99$ sub fee for a month. Just buy 1 month and if it doesn't work for you don't pay more. SWTOR is definitely worth the money for something so cheap. As f2p it is shit though, even after adding more restriction to f2p Rift can not get as shitty as SWTOR f2p, so you have been warned not to play as f2p.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    For the class stories alone it is very much worth it.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    While I do agree that the game is very limited, there is one thing that is relatively good.  Unlike many F2P cash shop titles, almost all of the in-game storage can be purchased with in-game cash.  No need to spend real money to make your inventory 'functional'.  It will push you a bit on spending that in-game money that piles up.

Yes, you can purchase these things with a RMT (via the cash shop).  But why would you when you have 3,000,000 credits piled up with nothing really to buy, and storage upgrades are reasonably priced.

A far, far better system than a competing game based on another popular futuristic space-themed game, no matter how fascinating you might want it to be.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SammybonesSammybones Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Thanks for the advice guys I think ill give it a try soon! Hopefully I can play with you guys ingame if your up to it!
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited March 2016
    Story for some of the classes is great. This can be enough for a few playthroughs with several classes, if you like Bioware's style of storytelling. Especially now that you get enough xp from story arcs and don't have to do every single kill x mob quest on the side.

Apart from that it is kind of meh. Many game mechanics are clunky though (as in outdated).

I especially hate the world map. In a galaxy full of state of the art computers and holograms, you get this piece of shit fantasy map with old fashioned fog to explore. You can't even access a planet world map if you are not on that planet. The quick travel map is seperate, so you can't see your quest objectives at the same time. It lacks obvious landmarks and locations, even after discovering them like : 'Republic base here, stop running into it!' ' Yes, this scribble looks like a map exit, but you can't travel through anyway'.
    Your toon was handed the cheapest map datapad in the galaxy. 

Oh and grouping is kind of annoying. If you play the same class as someone, you wont be able to join others in their story instances. You easily end up in seperate instances of the same area. Best experience is just soloing stuff, takes out a lot of group related hassle imo. (which is not a good thing for a MMO imo).
  • GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Oh and grouping is kind of annoying. If you play the same class as someone, you wont be able to join others in their story instances. You easily end up in seperate instances of the same area.
    In Preferences, under Social tab, there is option called Allow Access to Same Class Story. Turn it on and you will be able to access story instances of other players of the same class.
    However this only allows to help the other player with killing mobs as you will watch conversations in spectator mode. In order to progres story for both players you still need to do the same instance twice.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I am currently a hardcore ESO player so what does SWTOR have that ESO doesnt?
    My wife and I play both, I'd say the chief differences are: SWTOR has a more traditional MMORPG game-play style, combat  is tab-target..class mechanics etc.. are a lot more linear (completely class based), filler is a lot less fleshed out as well, side quests aren't as interesting, don't promote much exploration, and offer less variety overall in terms of MMORPG features. 

Where SWTOR shines is in it's multiplayer storyline mechanics, they're simply better than ESO's as you share the experience with friends, see what they see etc.. less getting split up (turn on access to same class story as the poster above stated) 

IN short ESO is the better game, SWTOR is the better cinematic/story experience.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jmalminjmalmin Member UncommonPosts: 44
    If bioware can come out with monthly content. then swtor will be in a very good place. And yes it would be worth playing. only other mmo I do know about with monthly new content is DCUO and that game is really coming into its own. Good things are coming to swtor for sure if they manage the monthly releases. 
  • Greyhawk4x4Greyhawk4x4 Member UncommonPosts: 480
    I am a Beta tester / Collector's edition pre-order player. I took a looooong break from the game and I have recently returned to give it another shot.

I am currently playing through all of the story arcs fro each class to get Legendary status. I am enjoying all of the stories, however, I feel that once I complete them all that I may be bored with the game.

Time will tell.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Fortunately you only have to play up and including Corellia for that. So you will have some variety based on class story. But still, I will be impressed if you manage anyway. I really don't feel like going back to some planets lol.
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    edited March 2016
    If you're looking to play an MMO then look elsewhere. If you're looking for a good single player RPG with good a good storyline and the option to PvP and you have a limited amount of time to spend gaming then this is the perfect game for you, especially if you like Star Wars.

I know someone mentioned it above but the F2P version limits some things for you such as hotbars, amount of credits(currency) you can carry, number of PvP matches you can do each week, etc.. But if you're playing it for the stories then you don't need to worry about that stuff. Limited # of hotbars isn't a big deal with how easy the game is. And you don't need to invest lots of hours every day to get enjoyment out of the game. You can spend an hour or two each night doing the class storyline and have a satisfying experience. The game caters to casuals.

And I will say this, compared to ESO, SWTOR has better stories, better voice acting and a more enjoyable PvP experience....in my opinion anyways. Don't get me wrong, I love open world PvP with big epic battles but I found Cyrodiil to be just too big of a map and I didn't care for the fact that every class could stealth. I spent more time riding on my horse to get to where the action was than I did actually fighting. And the big fights were nothing but a lag fest.
  • GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    I am curious on whether I want to get into SWTOR or not, is there a good population on there, and if so is there a good roleplay population/community aswell?
    stay Free to Play as long as possible. Tje game becomes extremly boring for many very fast.

• VergilDVergilD Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I enjoying the story, KOTFE is far from best, even watching only story from the cutscenes.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    The class stories are really fun! It is fun to level up your favorite class. I deeply enjoyed the Jedi Knight.

The early expansion questlines were also really good.

But then came KOTFE expansion late last year and that one blew me away! It's an amazing storyline! Had a blast leveling through it!  It's definetely worth it.

I agree that the Group Dungeons are meh, but if you like to play for the story, then it's defintely worth it and really recommend paying for the sub, to remove some ridiculous restrictions.
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    edited April 2016
    I wish people would just forget about this game. The sooner SWTOR dies off the sooner someone can start working on a real Star Wars MMO instead of this BS online RPG quest grinder with a gfx engine so bad you can't even enjoy simple 8v8 PvP >:)
    Seriously people, stop supporting this non MMO. I beg you...
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    It's better than Black Desert Online is anyways...XD