Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else planning on a blind playthrough for Dark Souls 3?

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
edited April 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I'll be getting Dark Souls 3 soon and I'm planning on doing a blind playthrough.  The only other Dark Souls game I've played is 2, but I used a guide OFTEN to get through it.

Should be an interesting experience not using any guides at all.  Might not have the optimal stuff but should be a lot more fun discovering things.

Anyone else planning on playing the game this way?

edit: oops wrong forum :open_mouth: 

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I am for sure!  I still need a blind playthrough of Dark Souls 2 first though..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    First play-trough should be blind. I only go to guides when i am completely and hopelessly stuck

• TalinthisTalinthis Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Nobody should be using guide first time through. A list of super helpful items in the area is OK. I got platinum on all games and did blind play through on every one
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    It won't be completely blind since I have the experiences of playing 1&2 and I heard quite a lot will remain the same. The only thing annoying with going completely blind is when you make obvious build mistakes or find yourself in stuff like Tomb of Giants without a light source.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I'm a Dark Souls vet so having played all previous games it won't actually be blind. I'm now on my way to buy the game, praise the sun.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I always play games blind these days.  It's kind of sad that I have to do so to get some enjoyment out of it.  I recall the days when it was difficult to find the answers you were looking for.

I've also found that it's a much more enjoyable experience if you don't find everything in the game and have it all planned out before hand.  For me part of the enjoyment is finding things in game and solving the puzzles.

I've been playing through the Uncharted series again recently and Uncharted 3 (though linear) has a few Dark Souls like Puzzles to solve.  I had a bit of a hard time solving the puzzle where you have a stave with light coming out of it.  There are a bunch of poles sticking out of the ground with pieces body parts attached to them.  There is a picture on a wall with one man.  In your journal there is a picture of a second man with a spear aiming at the first man.  You have to put the stave in certain place in the room so that is shines light onto the wall where the first man is standing.  If you find the right place for the staff a shadow will be cast of the second man in the right position on the wall next to him made up from the various body parts on the wall, the shadows, and the light.  I thought it was kind of interesting.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    The only time I ever use a guide is if I come across a part that has me stumped. Usually I find out it's something that I didn't realize could be done in a game or a mechanic that wasn't apparent.

I just completed a run through of "hordes of the underdark" and in one map the "magic arrows" that you see while wearing a special ring kept looping around in a circle.

I was supposed to be led to the knower of names. 

Well, apparently the developers wanted me to use an amulet to turn me into a golem so I could throw a catapult across a chasm and then use it to melt one of several depressions in the snow to release the knower of names.

"oh OK!"

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I am planning to do so, and resisting the urge to watch all the walkthroughs on Youtube. It is so stupid that the net was full of guides and walkthroughs before the game was even released. The game companies are allowing this for probably the hype influence but undermining the entertainment imo.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I pretty bLind play through everything but builds maybe.
  • huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210
    well just finished downloading it off to jump straight in also got next week off so will probobly hammer it then as well
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Yea you shouldn't look for a guide unless you cant figure it out.  I had to live through the time where there was no internet and you would be stuck somewhere for literally a week sometimes.  Because games were linear and you couldn't progress until you talked to one person or did something stupidly simple.  I remember final fantasy i couldn't figure out i needed to talk to Cid to get the hook on my flying ship.  That was bad.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Once I stop crashing, I will strive for limited exposure to guides and whatnot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    This is the first one I'm actually considering buying.

It's probably a horrible idea.

Might be just the game I'm looking for right now!
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    DS3 is a MMO now? and i thought people here cares what that label means. 
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    I'm hooked, love the Dark Souls!