Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long will a GTX 970 last

Comments

• FalstaffFalstaff Member UncommonPosts: 78
    970 is on the top end of this chart:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

It should last for a very long time.  I have a sad gtx 460 on the low end of the chart, but I'm still able to play most stuff. 

You can see the top cards have almost double the performance of most of the cards.  It's going to be awhile before everyone (including me) is caught up to that level of performance and Devs aren't going to be making games people can't play.

my 4 year old 7870 is getting pretty low on that list.  hoping to swap to a new nvidia when they come out
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    Is there somewhere you guys go to find the cheapest product? Idk if I should just order it from Amazon or what, I'm from Canada.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Just bought a gtx 970 at discount best buy ever.
    Can play all my games at max, my main MMO now is Black desert, my old card i got about 40 fps in the open world 25-30 in towns, now i get 60-75 and 40-50 in towns.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    A GTX 970 should last you for a couple years at least, I upgrade about every 4 to 5 years myself and never have issues.  Don't go out and buy a next gen card that is suppose to come out in a couple months like some of these people are saying, always wait a while for the bugs to get worked out.  Never a good idea to buy hardware right when it releases, especially gpu's.

A GTX 970 should be good till probably 2018 for a normal gamer.  Should be able to pick up a 4G one for around $300.

This is the one I am using:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-127-832-_-Product

it is just a basic card but runs everything out now with no problems.

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Gorwe said:
    Yanocchi said:
    Why not wait for GTX 1070? NVIDIA is supposed to start shipping it in July. After that GTX 970 will become old-gen.
    Truthfully...what's the point?

There's no point indeed if someone has a really old GPU and needs one urgently for some game that runs slowly without one.

I'm waiting for GTX 1070 with 8-16 Gb of HBM2 in order to upgrade from 1920x1080 to one of those new fast respone rate, fast refresh rate higher resolution displays. GTX 1070 will be better optimised for higher resolutions than GTX 970. It will also be an upgrade from PCI 2.0 to PCI 3.0 and newer CPU and RAM for me. I presume NVIDIA Pascal might have better optimisations for VR too in case VR becomes interesting enough to try it during the next five years.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    k61977 said:
    A GTX 970 should last you for a couple years at least, I upgrade about every 4 to 5 years myself and never have issues.  Don't go out and buy a next gen card that is suppose to come out in a couple months like some of these people are saying, always wait a while for the bugs to get worked out.  Never a good idea to buy hardware right when it releases, especially gpu's.

A GTX 970 should be good till probably 2018 for a normal gamer.  Should be able to pick up a 4G one for around $300.

This is the one I am using:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832&cm_re=gtx_970-_-14-127-832-_-Product

it is just a basic card but runs everything out now with no problems.

Generally, that isn't a huge problem (even if it have happened at rare occurances), usually it is the drivers that takes a while to do what they should but you will hopefully patch them anyways.

But it isn't like the new cards will come next week so waiting is only worth it if you have an acceptable card that lets you run the games you want good enough until the next card comes out (which seems to be late autumn or so here).

Also, if OP wanted a 50 or 60 card it would be more worthwhile to wait, those cards ages faster then the 70s and 80s.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Leon1e said:
    Hmm you should really wait. Last I heard the 9xx series have architectural limitation when it comes to DirectX12/Vulkan and most nVidia fans will cry out in horror once these games start to pop out. It was something with AsyncCompute, last I heard they were emulating it and thus lowering FPS. I'm sure there are far more knowledgeable people than me to confirm/deny this but it's literally in almost every nvidia-vs-amd benchmark topic. Currently nVidia has a worse driver.
    Drivers are usually updated every few months, and the thing your talking about was very much a 'cherry picked' thing anyway, theres nothing really to say that when Vulkan etc. is eventually in everyday use, that either gpu manufacturer will have an edge over the others, certainly at the moment they don't, and when Dx12 and Vulkan eventually become a thing, and i am really hoping that Vulkan dominates that particular battle, there is nothing to suggest that either card type will be best, it will inevitably be down to how each game is optimised for them, which for the most part, games do seem to be optimised more for Nvidia than they are for AMD, unfair perhaps, but it happens a lot, and it does give Nvidia the edge more often than not, over AMD.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    filmoret said:
    So if it wasn't a cute girl asking would there be 40+ answers?  Really only should have taken about 5 responses.
    LOL I had 6 people directly quote and respond to this alone.  Paigy is good for this website.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    k61977 said:

With the expected boost in performance around 50ish % some time in 2016 from DX12/Windows10 compatible grafic cards with the significantly improved draw calls, do you think the 970  will be good until 2018?

Do you perhaps run that 970 also on double or triple screens ? Like it is commonly used for space games e.g. EVE Online. Any "field reports" on that ? 1080p gaming is perfectly fine for me w.r.t. that.

Have fun
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Erillion said:
    With the expected boost in performance around 50ish % some time in 2016 from DX12/Windows10 compatible grafic cards with the significantly improved draw calls, do you think the 970  will be good until 2018?

Do you perhaps run that 970 also on double or triple screens ? Like it is commonly used for space games e.g. EVE Online. Any "field reports" on that ? 1080p gaming is perfectly fine for me w.r.t. that.

Have fun
    50% performance boost? Eh, no.
  • SzczepanXSzczepanX Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Yanocchi said:
    Gorwe said:
    Yanocchi said:
    Why not wait for GTX 1070? NVIDIA is supposed to start shipping it in July. After that GTX 970 will become old-gen.
    Truthfully...what's the point?

There's no point indeed if someone has a really old GPU and needs one urgently for some game that runs slowly without one.

I'm waiting for GTX 1070 with 8-16 Gb of HBM2 in order to upgrade from 1920x1080 to one of those new fast respone rate, fast refresh rate higher resolution displays. GTX 1070 will be better optimised for higher resolutions than GTX 970. It will also be an upgrade from PCI 2.0 to PCI 3.0 and newer CPU and RAM for me. I presume NVIDIA Pascal might have better optimisations for VR too in case VR becomes interesting enough to try it during the next five years.

These cards gonna be on GDDR5 or GDDR5X, not HBM2. This year HBM2 only for professional cards. It's not confirmed of course, but this is what I deduct after reading all the info we have available.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724

Nvidia Pascal Specs

WCCFGTX 980 TiGTX 980GTX 1080GTX 1070TESLA P100 (GP100)
    GPUGM200GM204GP104GP104GP100
    Process Node28nm28nm16nm FinFET16nm FinFET16nm FinFET
    Transistors8 Billion5.2 BillionTBATBA15.3 Billion
    CUDA Cores2816 CUDA Cores2048 CUDA Cores2048 CUDA Cores?1664 CUDA Cores?3840 CUDA Cores
    VRAM6 GB GDDR54 GB GDDR58 GB GDDR5X8 GB GDDR516GB HBM2
    Memory Bus384-bit256-bit256-bit256-bit4096-bit
    Memory Speed7Gbps7Gbps12Gbps8Gbps1.4Gbps
    Bandwidth336GB/s224GB/s384-320GB/s256GB/s720GB/s
    TDP250W165WTBATBA300W
    Launch DateMay 2015September 2014June 2016June 2016Q1 2017

Read more: http://wccftech.com/rumor-nvidia-pascal-gtx-1080-gddr5x-gtx-1070-f-gddr5/#ixzz45dJA64K5

If you're in the market for a GTX970 now, you might want to wait till June and pick up the GTX1070.
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Number taken from this article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2900814/tested-directx-12s-potential-performance-leap-is-insane.html

"Before you look at the results from these tests and assume you're going to see a frickin' 10x free performance boost from DX12 games later this year, zing, zam, zow! You won't. So ease off the hype engine. 

What's realistic? I'd expect anywhere from Microsoft's claims of 50-percent improvement all the way to the what we're seeing here in Futuremark's test. This will depend very much on the kind of game and the coding behind it."

Have fun

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Erillion said:
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Number taken from this article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2900814/tested-directx-12s-potential-performance-leap-is-insane.html

"Before you look at the results from these tests and assume you're going to see a frickin' 10x free performance boost from DX12 games later this year, zing, zam, zow! You won't. So ease off the hype engine. 

What's realistic? I'd expect anywhere from Microsoft's claims of 50-percent improvement all the way to the what we're seeing here in Futuremark's test. This will depend very much on the kind of game and the coding behind it."

Have fun

I would take a slightly different approach.

I would take the previous generation of video cards as a baseline.

Its really pretty amazing how the pattern in each geneation of video cards and CPUs follow the same pattern

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    SEANMCAD said:

Its really pretty amazing how the pattern in each geneation of video cards and CPUs follow the same pattern
    Because Tesla => Fermi => Kepler => Maxwell

Yup, every single one of those generations followed the same trendlines.

</sarcasim>
    Do the different models of the GTX 970 mean anything? MSI, EVGA, ect?
    edited April 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Because Tesla => Fermi => Kepler => Maxwell

Yup, every single one of those generations followed the same trendlines.

</sarcasim>
    ummm.. yeah I am saying the trend line of the past 3 generations of video cards and CPUs are stunningly very similar...yes

you know...

moores law?

OhhPaigey said:
     Those are different manufacturers. Generally EVGA is stock, or slightly OC, with a few special models, but they are arguably the most reliable as long as it's a dual fan version imo. Then MSI is another company that will offer normally overclocked models with fancier heatsinks etc.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Erillion said:
    Number taken from this article
    ...an article that is 1 year old and pure theory crafting based on meaningless benchmark.
    Realizer said:
    OhhPaigey said:
     Those are different manufacturers. Generally EVGA is stock, or slightly OC, with a few special models, but they are arguably the most reliable as long as it's a dual fan version imo. Then MSI is another company that will offer normally overclocked models with fancier heatsinks etc.
    Neat, I never knew that.

https://www.amazon.ca/EVGA-GeForce-Quieter-Graphics-04G-P4-2974-KR/dp/B00NVODXR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460493363&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+gtx+970

There's so many different options for the same card lol. What one should I choose? :open_mouth: 
    OhhPaigey said:
    Realizer said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    Neat, I never knew that.

https://www.amazon.ca/EVGA-GeForce-Quieter-Graphics-04G-P4-2974-KR/dp/B00NVODXR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460493363&sr=8-1&keywords=nvidia+gtx+970

There's so many different options for the same card lol. What one should I choose? :open_mouth: 
     The 970 ACX 2.0 would be the you'd want, as it's stock clock speed but it's the new version with dual fans and upgraded heatsink.  Looks like the second one on the list for 446.99, for 20 more though the SC ACX 2.0 (superclocked) version isn't a bad choice either. 
    edited April 2016
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:
    ...an article that is 1 year old and pure theory crafting based on meaningless benchmark.
    Please list  other newer benchmarks / articles with more accurate/ realistic results.

Have fun
    moores law?

Realizer said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    Realizer said:
    OhhPaigey said:
    Neat, I never knew that.

The 970 ACX 2.0 would be the you'd want, as it's stock clock speed but it's the new version with dual fans and upgraded heatsink.  Looks like the second one on the list for 446.99, for 20 more though the SC ACX 2.0 (superclocked) version isn't a bad choice either. 
    Do you think my PSU can run that card overclocked or whatever? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371059
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:
    The first wave of GDDR5X memory chips that Micron has started sampling last month and will be mass producing in the summer are rated at 10Gbps, 11Gbps and 12Gbps. Which means that the fastest GDDR5X configuration will yield up to 50% more bandwidth vs the 8Gbps GDDR5 memory chips pictured above.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/rumor-nvidia-pascal-gtx-1080-gddr5x-gtx-1070-f-gddr5/#ixzz45eFVkzyO

Article is 1 day old.