Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 400,000 Units Sold Significant?

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    fs23otm said:
    Depends on how much they are reporting... They had 400k pre-orders, as was documented in a well researched forum post. So if these are the pre-orders... it did okay... if it is 400k + pre-orders - refunds... then it did better then suspected. I have a feeling it is sitting between 400k-500k when all said is done... with 100k concurrent players... that is a solid playerbase...
    The 400k users is the official number reported by Daum themselves for "first month sales", so I would not expect any more than that. It's possible we've seen more in the past week or so but the 400k is an official number, not a forum number.
    k61977 said:

Here's the one reason the writer in the article failed to account for ...

For the longest time, BDO  had been advertised as an OWPvP game.  So much so that the minority PvP-centric players in the game are still under the false impression that the game is a PvP-centric game, when everything in the game speaks to the contratry.  Not only does a player do nothing but PvE activities from level one to level 45, but everything that is done after level 45 requires for the PvP players to still engage in an enormous amount of PvE to be able to PvP properly.

In any event, because the rumor was so prevalently spread that the game was OWPvP and largely PvP-centric, it flew under the radar and went largely ignored by the PvE crowd.  Without that majority support from the MMORPG genre demographic, it was bound to not be as popular as these other PvE-centric MMORPGs like Wildstar, GW2, FFXIV etc.  These types OWPvP-centric MMORPGs never sell well.  As a matter of fact, Daum themselves seemed pleasantly surprised to have even sold 400,000 copies. 

Once it was released, and the PvE-centric demographic discovered that BDO is no different than most recently released MMORPGs in that it is, indeed, a predominantly PvE-centric game with PvP simply tacked on at end game, and not this overwhelmingly PvP-centric an MMORPG,  its popularity rose and it will continue to rise on the backs of the PvE crowd unless Daum is unable to get their heads out from that dark place and throw the PvE crowd a bone by either giving them a PvE server or re-instituting the PvP opt in quest at level 50.

The future of BDO lies on its treatment of the PvE crowd.  The PvE crowd is up in arms and the battles are raging on the BDO forum as we speak regarding their need to be heard.  If Daum fails to listen to them, they will go down in flames like the rest of these PvP-centric game developers who made the decision to listen to the vociferous failed voices of the PvP-centric crowd.   The ball is on their court.  Make the proper decision to cater to the PvEer needs and succeed, or continue listening to the voices that breed toxic and fail communities and see their game, and their potential profits, go down in flames.
    While I love PVE games myself I think you prove the point that every type of gamer thinks every game needs to be geared for them.  This game was suppose to be an owPVP game for the endgame.  Not a PVE game, unfortunately the developers made the same mistake I have talked about over and over about not choosing a direction and going with it.   This trying to cater to both type of gamers hardly ever works out.   You will make this side mad no matter what you do to help the other side.  It is a no win situation.

Now if they try and make this into a PVE game it basically is throwing mud in the face of the PVP centric as you put it.  This game was marketed toward them, not the PVE crowd.  While I do agree there are tons of PVE experiences, those are not the customers Daum should listen to as they were not the customer based from the premise of release.

And this is coming from someone who truly wants a PVE game with no PVP released in the future.  Every game made does not have to be for every gamer.

Except that your rationale falls flat on its face when you consider that when you are a business entrepreneur, or if you own a business, your main objective, if you want to succeed, is to market the majority in a population, not the minority in a population.  Common sense tells you that marketing the majority will bring you the largest profit.  There is no denying that in the MMORPG genre the PvE crowd is, by far, the majority.  The PvE crowd, is therefore, the customers that Daum should be listening to, not the PvP crowd.  Whether it be business or politics, there is power in numbers. That is at the very foundation of a democracy, and in a successful business venture.  The majority wins.  Period.
    As someone with over 10 years experience in marketing, you are clueless.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited April 2016
    The article ends with asking if having enough players to keep the lights on is what's really important.  However, the game is buy-to-play with Daum expressly stating they're going to continue to try to decrease the cash shop presence in that latest interview going around.

In that case, it's not a question of having enough players so much as a question of having enough money.... from.............. um........................... hell if I know where they intend to get their money from.

I mean, really, Daum themselves say they expect revenue to fall off by the end of the year, yet they also say they're pushing Pearl Abyss to make many cash shop items obtainable in-game without paying.  I have no idea how these guys intend to get revenue now :O  And that's what's needed to keep on the lights, I think.

As stated by some other people in other threds, Daum tends to come across as rather.... newbie-ish to the industry (not to be confused with n00b).  I wonder if they know what they're doing or if they're naive about what they'll need in the future.  I guess we'll see in around half a year, maybe.  Then again, maybe they got a really good deal from Pearl Abyss and don't need much revenue to pay for the licensing fees but even then, it's hard for me to imagine enough revenue coming in in the long term for that.
  • blbetablbeta Member UncommonPosts: 144
    I have certainly gotten my $30 worth and then some already. I enjoy the game very much.

PvE only option, server or character, would be nice. But I like the game enough that I don't care either way. I expect an option as such would certainly boost sales.

For me I would just like some more challenging areas. As a lv 35 berserker I haven't found too many areas I would consider dangerous. I heard someone mention fights are more like a Diablo or Torchlight, which seems accurate. I think there just needs to be more areas where I be encouraged to bring more than just myself. Not that you would need to, but it is hard enough that it is a thought. I could stand a little more danger, not just a boss but a dangerous area for PvE.

If you are in the fence about it because of this system or that limitation, I suggest trying it. It is a well crafted world and has a lot of deep systems IMO.
    edited April 2016
    Tiamat64 said:
    The article ends with asking if having enough players to keep the lights on is what's really important.  However, the game is buy-to-play with Daum expressly stating they're going to continue to try to decrease the cash shop presence in that latest interview going around.

In that case, it's not a question of having enough players so much as a question of having enough money.... from.............. um........................... hell if I know where they intend to get their money from.

I mean, really, Daum themselves say they expect revenue to fall off by the end of the year, yet they also say they're pushing Pearl Abyss to make many cash shop items obtainable in-game without paying.  I have no idea how these guys intend to get revenue now :O  And that's what's needed to keep on the lights, I think.
    The cash shop will continue to be the main source of revenue. The box sales were nice, but they stated they got far more cash shop purchases than expected, far more than other B2P games in terms of percentage of the overall playerbase, and overall the game has already done better in the West than in the East. The cash shop changes they're making are all PR moves that, if done properly, will likely end up with more cash shop sales.

Mix that with the tons of content updates and you're likely to see more box sales as well. I'd say this game will continue to be profitable for a long time. You don't need massive playerbases to do well, and most games don't have massive playerbases. BDO has a sizeable playerbase right now if you compare to other top games. So not sure what the doom and gloom is about. Pearl Abyss was excited because these are good numbers.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited April 2016
    Leiloni said:
    k61977 said:

Here's the one reason the writer in the article failed to account for ...

For the longest time, BDO  had been advertised as an OWPvP game.  So much so that the minority PvP-centric players in the game are still under the false impression that the game is a PvP-centric game, when everything in the game speaks to the contratry.  Not only does a player do nothing but PvE activities from level one to level 45, but everything that is done after level 45 requires for the PvP players to still engage in an enormous amount of PvE to be able to PvP properly.

In any event, because the rumor was so prevalently spread that the game was OWPvP and largely PvP-centric, it flew under the radar and went largely ignored by the PvE crowd.  Without that majority support from the MMORPG genre demographic, it was bound to not be as popular as these other PvE-centric MMORPGs like Wildstar, GW2, FFXIV etc.  These types OWPvP-centric MMORPGs never sell well.  As a matter of fact, Daum themselves seemed pleasantly surprised to have even sold 400,000 copies. 

Once it was released, and the PvE-centric demographic discovered that BDO is no different than most recently released MMORPGs in that it is, indeed, a predominantly PvE-centric game with PvP simply tacked on at end game, and not this overwhelmingly PvP-centric an MMORPG,  its popularity rose and it will continue to rise on the backs of the PvE crowd unless Daum is unable to get their heads out from that dark place and throw the PvE crowd a bone by either giving them a PvE server or re-instituting the PvP opt in quest at level 50.

The future of BDO lies on its treatment of the PvE crowd.  The PvE crowd is up in arms and the battles are raging on the BDO forum as we speak regarding their need to be heard.  If Daum fails to listen to them, they will go down in flames like the rest of these PvP-centric game developers who made the decision to listen to the vociferous failed voices of the PvP-centric crowd.   The ball is on their court.  Make the proper decision to cater to the PvEer needs and succeed, or continue listening to the voices that breed toxic and fail communities and see their game, and their potential profits, go down in flames.
    While I love PVE games myself I think you prove the point that every type of gamer thinks every game needs to be geared for them.  This game was suppose to be an owPVP game for the endgame.  Not a PVE game, unfortunately the developers made the same mistake I have talked about over and over about not choosing a direction and going with it.   This trying to cater to both type of gamers hardly ever works out.   You will make this side mad no matter what you do to help the other side.  It is a no win situation.

Now if they try and make this into a PVE game it basically is throwing mud in the face of the PVP centric as you put it.  This game was marketed toward them, not the PVE crowd.  While I do agree there are tons of PVE experiences, those are not the customers Daum should listen to as they were not the customer based from the premise of release.

And this is coming from someone who truly wants a PVE game with no PVP released in the future.  Every game made does not have to be for every gamer.

Except that your rationale falls flat on its face when you consider that when you are a business entrepreneur, or if you own a business, your main objective, if you want to succeed, is to market the majority in a population, not the minority in a population.  Common sense tells you that marketing the majority will bring you the largest profit.  There is no denying that in the MMORPG genre the PvE crowd is, by far, the majority.  The PvE crowd, is therefore, the customers that Daum should be listening to, not the PvP crowd.  Whether it be business or politics, there is power in numbers. That is at the very foundation of a democracy, and in a successful business venture.  The majority wins.  Period.
    As someone with over 10 years experience in marketing, you are clueless.

Yeah, except your own post denying what I posted is wrong is the telling point that confirms that the clueless person here is you, not me.

Common sense tells us that the larger the market targeted, the greater the profit.  That's why we have commercials, advertising, and marketing as a whole to begin with.  To try and reach a maximum majority of the population.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Talk about clueless lol

Edited: to avoid ban hammer
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    blbeta said:
    I have certainly gotten my $30 worth and then some already. I enjoy the game very much.

PvE only option, server or character, would be nice. But I like the game enough that I don't care either way. I expect an option as such would certainly boost sales.

For me I would just like some more challenging areas. As a lv 35 berserker I haven't found too many areas I would consider dangerous. I heard someone mention fights are more like a Diablo or Torchlight, which seems accurate. I think there just needs to be more areas where I be encouraged to bring more than just myself. Not that you would need to, but it is hard enough that it is a thought. I could stand a little more danger, not just a boss but a dangerous area for PvE.

If you are in the fence about it because of this system or that limitation, I suggest trying it. It is a well crafted world and has a lot of deep systems IMO.
    They should do like SWTOR recently did; give players the option to play on a PvE or PvP instance. No more PvP or PvE servers, they're both rolled into one.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

laserit said:

SEANMCAD said:

Perspective:

There are currently about 10 titles in Early Access with over 1 million copies sold.

You're talking Steam i take it

Curious as to how many copies they would sell if they released on Steam?

Not just on steam. Two of those games in preview form came over to Xbox and sold 1 million in the first week on Xbox as well. So that should tell you something.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    This sounds like yet another NWO in which they delayed central points of the game to get the release out faster. That never ends well.
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

SEANMCAD said:

Aori said:

SEANMCAD said:

Aori said:

I think a lot of people were waiting to see how it plays out. The big recommendation was to wait for guest passes before buying. Also the hype was pretty moderate for the game, it wasn't heralded as the next new WoW killer like everything before it.

gender locking for me was a huge negative. I wonder if that alone made many people not even bother to look more into it

Gender locking in a fantasy game has never been an issue for me so I'll never personally understand peoples complaints.

I never even knew it was a thing until this game. it was the first time I heard of the concept.

anyway, you might be right maybe not that big of a deal, just a biggy for me

It may not be an issue for you, but based on the numbers and forum backlash, it is certainly a huge issue for many gamers. I have been playing RPG games since I was a kid, and one of the best aspects of playing this genre of gaming is how I can immerse myself in a virtual world, feeling like I am part of the game. Well, forcing me to create a scantily clad little asian girl, an ugly old man or an ugly barbarian, is not working for me. So, my only choice to play the game in a way that appeals to me, is being forced to play a Warrior class, is not my cup of tea. As a matter in fact, I would have purchased this game a long time ago, if I had more male class options. I like to play a rogue type class or Archer class. But this game gives me none of these options.
    I truly believe that if BDO had more class/gender options, the game would have sold over 1 million or more game copies. They have every right to create the game they choose, but I think it will be the games downfall. The numbers speak for themselves. There may be over 100k people playing at all times, but only 400k games sold is peanuts. Their cash shop is way overpriced, so they need to rely on more people purchasing the game, and it looks like their devoted fans have already done so. I hope they add more class choices sooner than later.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Personally, I was interested in this until I saw the cash shop. I imagine they got a lot of bad publicity from it, as most of the Black Desert discussions I've seen on non-MMO sites have been about the prices. I suppose time will tell if it was a wise decision.
  • FacelessSaviorFacelessSavior Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Leiloni said:

The PVE/Themepark crowd is also the to raise anchor and bail when they run out of content. And I guess we'll just ignore that most pve centric games also aren't don't do well over time.

Also, most pvp games do poorly not because they're pvp games, but because they're poorly made, low budget games.

Seems you have quite a hate boner built up for the PVP crowd tho. I almost didn't respond. Don't wanna kill your hard on.

Atleast I offer an explanation that makes sense and is backed and proven by past history, not some half-twit brained excuse that makes no sense simply to try and justify the failure that are MMORPGs that feature PvP, accompanied by the typical tough-talking angry and insulting PvP-centric leet speak that is customary with these cowardly keyboard warrior PvP ganker profile types.

Sorry. I don't write novels to respond to people who are overly emotionally invested and already have their heels set in. :) I did offer a valid explanation. But again, don't let that get in the way of your rage-filled narrative.

I see you've met the forums resident "overly emotionally invested" Fanboy/girl. They respond that way to numerous posts in every single BDO related threat.
    I was expecting a bit more chill from someone with the handle "LacedOpium." :P
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Phry said:
    Like i said in another thread, their(both Pearl Abyss and Daum) brilliant(not) idea of ip blocking half of the American continent on NA servers and parts of EU for EU servers is biting them in the back. Those sales numbers would have been A LOT higher.
    It wasn't their idea, they just don't have the rights to publish the game outside of EU/NA, apparently the game will have a more 'world wide' release at some point, but, its unlikely to be Daum doing it. Unfortunately its just a corollary of having multiple publishers by region.
    I know it wasn't Daum's decision, it was Pearl Abyss' decision which is why i named them in my post. PA's poor decision is preventing them from making more money. I do hope they pick a good publisher for a world wide version of the game so i can play with my friends. 

edited April 2016

Atleast I offer an explanation that makes sense and is backed and proven by past history, not some half-twit brained excuse that makes no sense simply to try and justify the failure that are MMORPGs that feature PvP, accompanied by the typical tough-talking angry and insulting PvP-centric leet speak that is customary with these cowardly keyboard warrior PvP ganker profile types.

Sorry. I don't write novels to respond to people who are overly emotionally invested and already have their heels set in. :) I did offer a valid explanation. But again, don't let that get in the way of your rage-filled narrative.

The rage is yours and obvious in your responses, my friend.  Where it not true, you would not be responding the manner that you are.  FYI, I enjoy PvP and would mop the virtual platform with your virtual pixels on any competitive PvP game of your choosing.  I just don't care for non-consensual PvP, and ganking of unsuspecting PvE players, in MMORPGs.  When I want to PvP, I PvP with the big boys in competitive PvP games that do PvP much better than MMORPGs.  PvP in MMORPGs is for the spineless keyboard warrior that get their jollies ganking unsuspecting PvE players.
    Cool story bro. If you said it, it must be the popular opinion. :)
    edited April 2016
    Leiloni said:

I see you've met the forums resident "overly emotionally invested" Fanboy/girl. They respond that way to numerous posts in every single BDO related threat.

Oh looky what we have here ... a cuddly wittle wuv nest chat between two dissafected PvPers.

You know, those supposed hard-core keyboard warrior PvP types that come to MMORPGs to get their inept PvP fix on by ganking unsuspecting PvEers.  And then have the nerve to call PvEers "carebears." 

Get atta here with that mess lol 

Keep cuddling ... that's what PvP carebears are good for.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

The rage is yours and obvious in your responses, my friend.  Where it not true, you would not be responding the manner that you are.  FYI, I enjoy PvP and would mop the virtual platform with your virtual pixels on any competitive PvP game of your choosing.  I just don't care for non-consensual PvP, and ganking of unsuspecting PvE players, in MMORPGs.  When I want to PvP, I PvP with the big boys in competitive PvP games that do PvP much better than MMORPGs.  PvP in MMORPGs is for the spineless keyboard warrior that get their jollies ganking unsuspecting PvE players.
    Come on @LacedOpium ;

You do have a lot of intelligent things to say. But at times, responses like this just go over the top. It the very very small minority of people who like to PvP in MMORPG's that like to gank.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:

Come on @LacedOpium ;

You do have a lot of intelligent things to say. But at times, responses like this just go over the top. It the very very small minority of people who like to PvP in MMORPG's that like to gank.

My reference is to the the PvP types who support non-consensual PvP, not the PvX type that encourage consensual PvP.  Of that I have been clear on these forums since day one.  Again, I have no problem with PvP as long as the PvP is consensual.  I do have a problem with non-consensual PvP and the toxic tough-talking keyboard warriors that support that type of PvP play.  Its just my nature and i will continue to advocate against it at every given opportunity.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    laserit said:

Come on @LacedOpium ;

My reference is to the the PvP types who support non-consensual PvP, not the PvX type that encourage consensual PvP.  Of that I have been clear on these forums since day one.  Again, I have no problem with PvP as long as the PvP is consensual.  I do have a problem with non-consensual PvP and the toxic tough-talking keyboard warriors that support that type of PvP play.  Its just my nature and i will continue to advocate against it at every given opportunity.
    Personally I'm more of the PVE type. But I like Virtual Worlds and in a world you do have dangerous people, the Serial Killer psychopathic types.

Games just need to Deter this type of behavior strongly enough that these types are as rare as they are in a real world.

IMHO A reasonable amount of this type of behavior actually enhances gameplay.  

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Seems a bit low to me, as i expected 800k-1mio.

But! I have to give it to Daum that at least they seem to be honest about it and don't pull some marketing crap on us.
    I take 400k sold any day over "2 million registered", "1million accounts", "5mio logins" or other similar BULLSHIT (saying it as it is...feel free to moderate) that includes beta sign-ups or forum accounts.

As i see it, this is also not a game that declines after it's first 3-4 month like many other titles we've seen in recent years.
    So 400k won't be the end of the rope for BDO, as in this stage and with the upcoming content there is no other way than up for the numbers.

edited April 2016
    laserit said:
    laserit said:

Come on @LacedOpium ;

Personally I'm more of the PVE type. But I like Virtual Worlds and in a world you do have dangerous people, the Serial Killer psychopathic types.

Games just need to Deter this type of behavior strongly enough that these types are as rare as they are in a real world.

IMHO A reasonable amount of this type of behavior actually enhances gameplay.  

Well, your post makes sense, but that goal of "deterring that type of behavior enough that these types are as rare as they are in the world" has never been achieved.  And that presents the gist of the problem with MMORPGs that feature both PvE and PvP, and why MMORPGs featuring OWPvP are rarely, if ever, successful. They are an oxymoron.

In order for bountiful PvP to exist in an OWPvP MMORPG, there needs to be a lot of players.  That is why many MMORPGs now days are implementing the system where the first 30 to 50 levels or so are PvE and then they flip the switch and force all players into an OWPvP gaming format.  This is done to entice the PvE player to play the game with the hopes that by the time they reach that PvP level they will be too invested in the game to quit.  By doing so, the PvE player in essence, becomes the content that fuels the "end game" PvP fun for the PvPer.  

The developers care very little, because this saves them money, because they don't have to develop expensive end game content to keep their player base happy.  The PvPers love it because they ham it all up laughing all the way to joyville while feeding on the unsuspecting sheep in PvEers that are being fed to them by the system. The only losers in the whole equation are the PvEers.  

This is unacceptable and it needs to stop.  PvEers need to start speaking up and quit being so passive.  This will only happen when they become as toxic and out-spoken as these PvPers, who while being the minority, have had their way in changing the evolution of the MMORPG into the bastardized gaming genre that it is today.  Nothing will change unless some of us start speaking up against it.  I have never been one to stand idly by while injustices are being done.  I know I am just one person, and I have no illusion that I will enact change, but I'll be damned if that will ever keep me from speaking up about that injustice and having my say against it.  

Its just not my nature.

edited April 2016
    Leiloni said:

Oh looky what we have here ... a cuddly wittle wuv nest chat between two dissafected PvPers.

You know, those supposed hard-core keyboard warrior PvP types that come to MMORPGs to get their inept PvP fix on by ganking unsuspecting PvEers.  And then have the nerve to call PvEers "carebears." 

You forgot to call me a basement dwelling, neck bearded, mouth breather.

Or were you saving those for your big coup de grace?

You forgot to call me a basement dwelling, neck bearded, mouth breather.

I didn't forget.  I just didn't feel the obvious needed mentioning.  That would be redundant.  Nice of you to admit it though.  Reinforcing a truth is rarely ever a bad thing.
  • CristianoDiazCristianoDiaz Member UncommonPosts: 7

Props for use of 'coup de grace'.
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384

400K not so great. IMO numbers will probably go down from here as I ve seen most I ve know leave the game already. I know I m not the only person on the planet, but I m sure there are more in my spot then not. People claiming the amount joining as opposed to leaving is greater I think would be fooling themselves.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited April 2016
    Did I miss something? A Korean F2P title port equals AAA title in the West? I would think that a F2P Port from KR at 400K would be considered doing well.