Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Way Forward for a Genre

Comments

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    max character since playing of day 1 of soft launch except for 2 days not logging in, is level 19, because of all the life skills I have been doing and avoiding combat as much as possible (only killing things for meat mostly, etc); fishing for my cat, and cooking for one character; farming/alchemy for another; metal worker / gatherer for anothre, and two other characters for misc uses.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Wizardry said:
    There is a shallow driving force that has most gamer's playing games for the wrong reasons......to attain end level.
    When i game i couldn't car less about the levels but if your game is going to use levels,each and every level had better feel important and not just a level number and this is where BDO fails as usual,NONE of the levels feel important.
    My biggest peeve and total turnoff is when a developer is too damn daum cheap to put even the most obvious asset into the game ...AMMO for the Archer.When i see the most obvious laziness and cheapness whcich btw should also be a crafting item,i just think this developer cannot possibly make a good game.

Instead i got the feeling the entire design was there to control the rmt input on the game but did so by removing the human element.None the less i can't look past the fact there is no ammo,it says AMATEUR hour developer.
    You either have serious issues.  Or there is someone on this account playing a very extensive subtle troll.  If this is a troll account I applaud your dedication.
  • ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    This game is garbage. I played over 100 hours before coming to that conclusion: it's an train wreck after 50. Save your money.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Realizer said:
    Bought the game... liked it for a while... got to 50 and completely lost interest. The grind goes from stiff to intolerable from there on out... but in order to PvP competitively, you really have to be 55-56. And, frankly, when it takes 10+ hours to gain a single level, I'm out.
     So I'm confused, people want a game that takes a while to get to end game, but then they complain about it taking too long once they get it. This is why there will never be a game that everyone will play, and why people dreaming that there one day might be, are living a fantasy. Some people in this thread have said it should take 6 months to get to end game. Yet people cry over 10 hours.
    There is a difference in leveling when you are actually doing something fun and meaningful, rather than grinding for a dozen of hours just to get 1 more level, and then repeating this process again and again.

Nobody would complain on how long it would take to reach the endgame, if the journey would be actually enjoyable all the way through from start to finish.

Sure there is a plenty of MMOs with garbage quests out there (BDO being one of them), but there are also some that actually offer great storytelling. Those MMOs don't ever feel like you're grinding to reach the endgame.

The problem with BDO is that the endgame grind begins very fast, and only gets worse later on. People have been warned not to rush, because BDO might as well have the worst endgame ever.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited April 2016
    josko9 said:
    Realizer said:
    Bought the game... liked it for a while... got to 50 and completely lost interest. The grind goes from stiff to intolerable from there on out... but in order to PvP competitively, you really have to be 55-56. And, frankly, when it takes 10+ hours to gain a single level, I'm out.
     So I'm confused, people want a game that takes a while to get to end game, but then they complain about it taking too long once they get it. This is why there will never be a game that everyone will play, and why people dreaming that there one day might be, are living a fantasy. Some people in this thread have said it should take 6 months to get to end game. Yet people cry over 10 hours.
    There is a difference in leveling when you are actually doing something fun and meaningful, rather than grinding for a dozen of hours just to get 1 more level, and then repeating this process again and again.

Nobody would complain on how long it would take to reach the endgame, if the journey would be actually enjoyable all the way through from start to finish.

Sure there is a plenty of MMOs with garbage quests out there (BDO being one of them), but there are also some that actually offer great storytelling. Those MMOs don't ever feel like you're grinding to reach the endgame.

The problem with BDO is that the endgame grind begins very fast, and only gets worse later on. People have been warned not to rush, because BDO might as well have the worst endgame ever.
     The problem is that's your opinion, I enjoy the grind from start to finish, and after so far. Who are you to say what's fun for me? I'm sure there's a few games you enjoy that I can't stand. Yet I don't think any less of the people who enjoy them. I also don't think their game should be bombarded with trash talk to hinder the possibility of others finding something they might enjoy, had they not passed it up because of other people's opinions.
  • xcessive303xcessive303 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    edited April 2016
    Excellent review Bill, much more thorough than some other popular gaming sites. I agree while its not perfect, we need many more MMORPG's like this. I am happy BDO focuses on the journey rather than the end-game, that is why many of us started playing MMORPG's, is it not?
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211

DMKano said:

Very fair review fland I agree with it while you are in honeymoon phase the game is definitely an 8.6/10

However once you reach 52/53 + right now and are doing the end game gearing and PvP, it's nowhere near as good.

Getting beyond +15 is a niche experience and the vast majority of players will quit before they see any of their gear getting to +16 even.

Bottom line - very fun and very engrossing early on, falls off the cliff once you hit end game pretty fast and becomes a very niche game where a higher +number in gear means everything

This may be very true, but for a $30 game and progressing the way Bill has, as I am too, I'll take 500 hours maybe to get to the level cap and will have enjoyed the experience. If I don't like it after that then I'll have had exceptional value for money already.

Few people take account of the value for money they have had out of something. Take your family to the cinema for 2 hours of entertainment and that's your cost of BDO gone in a fraction of the time. If I hang around til level cap then I'm going to be pleased with my purchase (which I already am after 100+ hours.
  • ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118
    There is a lot of great things about this game but the thing i can't stand is this afk / online idle progression stuff. I hate it with passion and i can't understand why anyone would like a system that encourage this.
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited April 2016
    Ozmodan said:

The game will be a ghost town within a year.
    The week after the game was released, the doom callers were saying: "This game will be a ghost town after the first month."
    Then they started to say "give it a couple of months and it will be dead".
    Now they are starting to say "within a year".

See, friends, we are progressing ;)
    Just like SWTOR!

Hmm, come to think of it, that game got a similar review-score from this website.
  • MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 102
    edited April 2016
    I guess in some ways you can call me a traditionalist. But I tried the game and wasnt impressed.

1) Dialogue is horrid

2) I absolutely hate the combat. Im not going to remember all the combos and I really really hate the non stop attacks and click fest. There is no tactical maneuvering needed, its just a click fest. I dont see why this game is hyped for the combat being progressive - its the same thing but arcade like.

3) I do like the option to do all of those things, but the game itself with the overly large weapons, arcade like combat etc turn me off to it. I will be happy to play Shroud of the Avatar as it has many of the same aspects but a combat system i like more.

4) The graphics are ok actually - I think ESO is better outside of the armor. But I dont play ESO anymore either.

5) The story is non engaging

Enjoy the game all, im sure it fits some peoples play style and my guess is it is the 20's something crowd.

If you are like me and enjoyed the hell out of Asherons call, Ultima online, DAoC, Eve, SWTOR, SWG etc you likely wont like this game. I did not buy it, did not trust it - I used a 7 day game pass from a friend. Happy I did.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Myrradah said:

Enjoy the game all, im sure it fits some peoples play style and my guess is it is the 20's something crowd.

If you are like me and enjoyed the hell out of Asherons call, Ultima online, DAoC, Eve, SWTOR, SWG etc you likely wont like this game. I did not buy it, did not trust it - I used a 7 day game pass from a friend. Happy I did.
    You made a good and and fair opinion thread, too bad you had to ruin it with assumptions.
    I'm 47, played MMOs since UO beta, played AC1 for many years, and yet I enjoy BDO a lot.

Have a look at this poll, you may be surprised...
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/446428/what-age-of-mmo-players-likes-this-game/p1

He's wrong on the assumption that if someone played game x, they won't like BDO as well.

I'm an avid SWTOR player, and I loved UO back in the day as well. :sunglasses: 

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    "The base price of $30 is an absolute bargain for Black Desert. And while the cash shop has seen its ups and downs, it’s all fairly benign, even the “Ghillie Suit”"

That tells me that when sales slow down it will go f2p to get more players....Once the cash shops are in place its just a matter of time.
    Myrradah said:

You made a good and and fair opinion thread, too bad you had to ruin it with assumptions.
    I'm 47, played MMOs since UO beta, played AC1 for many years, and yet I enjoy BDO a lot.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/446428/what-age-of-mmo-players-likes-this-game/p1

He's wrong on the assumption that if someone played game x, they won't like BDO as well.

I'm an avid SWTOR player, and I loved UO back in the day as well. :sunglasses: 

I said Likely, not a for sure thing as there are always fringes. No assumption. I would have had to say something like you WILL not like the game versus you will LIKELY not enjoy it...
    Myrradah said:

That is rather interesting. I wouldnt have expected so many.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Pretty fair review Bill. Like most MMOs, I expect we'll see some balancing. If it stays "niche" at the end game their player base will be niche as well. :)

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

Myrradah said:
    Myrradah said:

That is rather interesting. I wouldnt have expected so many.
    To be honest, if you really played AC1 that much and enjoyed it, BDO combat should remind you AC1, only more evolved. AC1 also had fast paced action combat with dodging. AC1 also had you take on massive amounts of mobs and survive if you were skilled.
    Very true, I remember them :)

More so the magic system and the mentoring program i really liked.
  • AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Having a good time so far with a bit of hours less than the reviewer. Quite compelling at times for sure. Happy with the investment to purchase so far.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Having a good time so far with a bit of hours less than the reviewer. Quite compelling at times for sure. Happy with the investment to purchase so far.
    Wow, haven't seen you around here in a loooong time. Clicking "awesome" and giving you your first point ;)

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    5/10 at best
    it needs a 6/10 to mean it is average but i would play it,that is why it gets a 5 because it is very average but i don't want to play it.Way too many poor design ideas.

Combat is likely an argument as i do not consider multiple key presses as  good DEEP combat,it is nothing more than multiple key presses.However what makes it way more goofy is some of those multiple key press resulting in spin o rama's to back flips, just retarded unrealistic moves.I cannot and will not accept stupidity in design ideas.I would NEVER in a million years do a back flip when using a bow but i guess common sense was lacking from the designer.
    Add to the fact it uses a VERY old, tired WEAK idea in +1-+15 itemization makes it a very old weak design.If your design team can't be more imaginative than 1980's +1-+15 game design ,you really should not be making games in 2016.

From players not picking up their loot to afk gaming,i saw too many lame areas of game design.

I also lol@ the constant notion that reviews are ONLY good when favorable,otherwise the immaturity pops out as i suspect will happen because i rate the game a 5/10.I always see stuff like "your the best reviewer or i love ya...kissy kissy" because you gave MY GAME a good score.IMO ANY game that has afk gaming should NEVER be rated more than 5/10,afk gaming is something i would never consider as a good idea.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RavkeenRavkeen Member UncommonPosts: 310
    This was a really good review unlike IGN.

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch
    Now Playing : Black Desert Online
    "America is not at war, the US Military is at war, America is at the mall."

• sonbkhn9xsonbkhn9x Member CommonPosts: 1
    It's great! beautiful graphics again. I can upload it somewhereviral loop reviews
    SEE HERE
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Ravkeen said:
    This was a really good review unlike IGN.
    because you agree?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• MorBladeMorBlade Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I haven't spent this much time in an MMO since the early days of Everquest and then Star Wars Galaxies.  BDO has been the game I've waited for. Good review Bill
  • Murry95Murry95 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Best mmorpg I have played so far for me
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Excellent review. I may take another look at this one.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests