Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was the Game(s) that Surprised You the Most?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
edited April 2016 in General Gaming
The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• shockwaved1shockwaved1 Member UncommonPosts: 39
    EQ 1 still love reliving the intial music at that start of the game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    City of Heroes.  I had never played an MMORPG before (I had a chip on my shoulder about the genre after EQ1 'stole' 27 of my 30 clanmates in Tribes).  But I was a comic book fanatic and I HAD to try this one! 

After a frustrating learning curve I really got to like this game.  I liked being a hero, I liked the gameplay, I LOVED the combat.

But the most surprising thing to me was most definitely the community.  I had never been in a game where people were so helpful to noobs, and so willing to go the extra mile for fellow 'heroes.'  The people playing this game wanted a real superhero experience!  Even though the faces changed, you never had to go far to find a group of people on the same page as you.

How much did I like this game?  I level capped 12, and had at least 6 others in the 40s that I was too lazy to cap to 50.  I had 4 of my level caps VERY well equipped, and I had a player for just about any role on a team.  It took a lot of time and grind, but it was worth it to fill the need for many, many task forces and important incarnate missions.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Half Life.

Plot twist after plot twist, and all this before the age of YouTube.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ravareravare Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Yea I second City of Heroes. It was the only game where I really felt like I wanted to RP as a Hero. My brother and I made two blasters.

The depth of the skills, slotting them and even secondary specs were great.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Shadowbane, I have never been a big PvPer, but there was something about that game

• nickelsig229nickelsig229 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    eddieg50 said:

Shadowbane, I have never been a big PvPer, but there was something about that game

Shadowbane did it for me too.  At first, it wasn't easy to like. The graphics were bad, the rubber banding lag, the cut throat nature of pvp and thieves not just stealing your runes but back stabbing you while you rest. There was no such thing as respecing, and every point you assigned had real meaning, you could gimp your character very easily.

It was a culture shock coming from AC to shadowbane, but there was something about the game that no other had. You could take to the forums, and there were real politics involved. If you went to the forums running your mouth, you could log on the next day and find bane stones on all your cities, you could find different guilds making alliances just to slap you for running your mouth on the forums. Your actions had real consequences.

And then there were evil bastages who would take over the entire map.

If I was a billionaire, I would remake shadowbane, with todays tech but the original character creation and game play.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Star Wars Galaxies, despite even with all the bugs when released, still to me a monumental mmo beyond its time. The community in this game was spectacular since we all shared the love for Star Wars!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Meridian 59, I kinda expected it to be something like Daggerfall (another good surprise game) but it was unlike anything I ever played and years before it's time. Too bad my old modem made the experience less then perfect.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Recently:

MMO- BnS.  Wasn't on my radar.  Tried a couple weeks after it released and was hooked.

Single Player- Far Cry 4.  I had played Far Cry and Far Cry 2.  They were passable shooters, but the story and characterization in Far Cry 4 were really good.  Very fun all the way through.
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    The biggest surprise for me, where I went from "that game will be dumb" to completely putting all non-essential life support functions on hold to play it... was EverQuest.

There were a few things I read about it that appealed to me, but I just loved the graphics and artwork in 2D games at the time. The 3D games I had played (shooters) looked terrible to me. In my mind, they were all low resolution pictures pasted on blocky squares roughly in the shape of a humanoid. So, I often referred to it as EverQuake.

I was totally sold on 3D RPGs and the game world from Day 1.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    EVE, when I first tried it in 2007 I never expected it to be the MMORPG that would hold me in 2016

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Final Fantasy 14.  No idea how they recovered from that garbage release.  Great job I guess.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    DMKano said:

Final Fantasy 14.  No idea how they recovered from that garbage release.  Great job I guess.
    They basically started over heh

Not really...heh.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    City of Heroes.  Breath of fresh air to me.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited April 2016
    Destiny. I wasn't expecting something developed by Bungie and fueled by a larger budget than some countries' GDP to end up sucking that much.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    SWTOR, guildies convinced me to try it during beta and I bought it. Funny, because I never finished watching a single Star Wars movie till the end. Though the game had a nice vibe and I kinda liked the Trooper. In the end I kept playing for 6 months. 4 months longer than any of my guildies. Guess you had not to be a Star Wars fan to like the game.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Many, many games have surprised me over the years - but it's getting to be quite rare.

Overall, I'd say WoW was the biggest surprise.

I'd sworn off the genre completely, and the beta did little to change that.

However, I still decided to play it cooperatively with my ex-GF - and the more I played it, the more I was surprised at just how absorbing it was.

The two most surprising things about it were probably the world design and variety of zones coupled with the instances - which I'd never heard of before. Those two things were absolutely amazing to experience back then.

But, most of all, I think it was the simple nature of playing cooperatively with my partner. I've never shared a game on that level before - and I probably won't ever again.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Deus Ex - Human Revolution

I'm not a fan of first-person games and generally don't like this style of game either but decided to commit to it. It took me 3 attempts to make it past the first zone (I got bored) but once I'd played 4 or 5 hours and made it to the second zone, I was hooked. I went full stealth and just got mega-absorbed in never raising the alarm. 

Prison Architect

I'm old enough to remember games that looked this crap when they were considered cutting edge. I've pretty much exclusively avoided all indie / alpha type games and have never regretted it. However, a couple of friends played PA during their lunch breaks and, through watching, I became convinced it was actually worth paying. I wasn't wrong. The game took over my life for a month or two, only quit when my prison got too big that fast-forward stopped working. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    EQ1 was the one that blew me away the most...My first experience with MMOs was UO and it was horrible so I went into EQ expecting pretty much the same result and I couldnt have been more wrong.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    EQ1 surprised me the most, since it was my first mmorpg and everything in it was a surprise. 

In fact, and this is rather embarrassing, when I bought the game I did not realize that other people would be playing in the same world that I was. I logged in and after a few minutes I was like "hey, waaaaait a minute." 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited April 2016
    7 Days to Die completely surprised me like no other game ever.

Darkfall came close but 7DTD...wow.

what surprised me? 
    1. 'crafting' sure all games have that, but who has 'high action intense crafting'? 
    2. zombies...oh please so friggin tired of seeing zombies and i even hate the genre...but its fun in this game.
    3. Loosing several hours of work to a zombie horde because of one small flaw in my base design is the first time I felt a true 'impermanence' in gaming.
    4. save you file? no F you buddy you better get it right..

love it

Kerbal Space Program

1. A engaging, exciting, intense game that is based on reality and not intentionally killing something? and I learn real physic as well? get out!

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me