Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorite MMORPG Game you ever played in the past 10 years? And why?

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
For me it was Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

The reasons were as follows:
1) It was the ONLY Warhammer/Warhammer 40K MMORPG
2) Warhammer Universe
3) Fun when there was good player population
4) It felt and played like the Warhammer universe

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I rarely get much out of these threads, but here goes:

Vendetta Online

1) Twitch combat
    2) Un-sharded, non-instanced persistent universe
    3) Involved devs
    4) Cross-platform
    5) Tiered manufacturing, player trading
    6) Veteran contributed content
    7) Virtual reality (for when I'm ready)
    8) Passionate players

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Aion

- awesome fantasy world
    - not a typical tolkien fantasy game (dwarves, elves ect.)
    - flying without mounts
    - air combat
    - (massive) open world pvp
    - nice trinity
    - good classes
    - interesting dungeons
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Lord of the Rings Online

(with the caveat of lotro before the first xpac, game got steadily worse over time). Primary reasons:

1) Deepest combat in an MMO that I've played
    2) Strong group focus
    3) More than just the trinity - support classes!
    4) Horizontal progression at endgame
    5) Really fun PvP (even if it got repetitive after a while)
    6) Lovingly built world
    7) Great community

The first 6-9 months of LotRO are really the best times I've had in gaming, ever. Whilst I prefer sandbox over themepark, I really just want to kill stuff with friends and get stuck into deep combat mechanics, and LotRO provided that. Combined with the fluff that helped foster a mature community it was just a great time. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited April 2016
    Age of Wushu

1. It was a "civil" FFA world maintained by many risk reward systems. The game rules were placed so far out that they were barley seen. Player customs grew. Those customs determined right and wrong. 

2. So many Brilliant systems, from 17 crafting professions to random encounters.

3. The combat system. Battles were fought on three planes x, y, and z. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    For pure fun it was Planetside 1.  Constant action.  Always something to do, and someone to fight.  Tons of viable playstyles and a surprisingly deep character creation system for an MMOFPS.  Planetside 2 removed all the thinking and turned it into persistent CoD, so don't bother.  The original is still best.

For overall experience it was EVE Online.  EVE is like watching The English Patient twice back to back and then seeing The Force Awakens trailer for the first time.  Long periods of planning and waiting for things to happen followed by a couple of minutes of sheer excitement like never experienced in an MMO.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    WoW 2004 - 2008.

During this time, fire mages were highly customisable glass cannons. This made them really fun.

I enjoyed putting all my talents into abilities that strengthened my main attack - fireball.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    EVE, started 2005. , it is only game what I every year stop playing but  back  to play too.
    EVE is live  virtual universe !
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    AOC was great while it lasted. (got tired of 1 particular guild griefing our RP sessions so decided to leave). 

TSW was great while it lasted. (Most unique MMO out there for pure story telling and variety of quests).

LOTRO. I still play on and off. (their cash shop is about the most fair one around, the music is great).

If I had to choose.....AOC for the longest continued fun in a game. 

I must add thought that playing NWN on a private server (Avlis) with DM's and enforced RP....blows every professional MMO out of the water in terms of fun, memories, RP'ing and longevity. 
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    LOTRO up to the Mines of Moria expansion. Up until that point it had a monthly subscription, group-based combat required, challenging content, deep lore, amazing graphics, the music...everything about that game was EPIC.

Everything after the MoM expansion = a downward spiral into a frenzy of cash-shop and single-player watered-down experiences. 
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    edited April 2016
    DAoC

- 3 Unique Realms for a three way fight where 2 Realms could team up to fight the over populated Realm(which happened nearly from day 1)

- RvR for me never got boring, whether it was looking for smaller fights, keep defenses, mile gate battles, large zerg battles, spur of the moment Relic fights or the all time favorite opening Darkness Falls for your Realm.

- I loved that the best gear in game(up until ToA) was player crafted

- PvP and PvE zones were separate and unique for each Realm(although you could PvE in the Frontiers PvP  zones for bonus XP/Cash). This allowed people to PvE in private for cash but gave them the option for greater rewards.

- 24 Unique Classes non mirrored , 8 per Realm, at launch and they now have I believe over 50 total.

Post edited by Sinsai on
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Without a doubt City of Heroes.

1) Best overall community I ever played with - stuck with this game for 8 years
    2) The game grew into something incredible
    3) Developers that listened to the player base
    4) A superhero game with real superhero quests - some of these were amazing!
    5) Some pretty innovative bad guys to fight
    6) EXCELLENT PvP, restricted to PvP zones or arenas (I like choosing when I PvP)
    7) Well thought out arch types for both realms
    8) Great events
    9) XYZ combat that was second to none

The game did lose its luster over the years; dated graphics, alternate leveling that was just tacked on, trying too hard to make the game challenging after they had made it too easy (last three years)... But it still had plenty of life left when they shuttered it...

I'm still waiting for a private server on this game!

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    1. World of Warcraft - No doubt the best MMORPG i played until the end of WotLK. Most challenging PvE in a mmorpg, best PvP in a mmorpg with different variations (world, battlegrounds,arena,duels). Huge community. The game i used to love is no more though, they destroyed it with the crap expansions.  
    2. Tera Online - Great combat, Challenging PvE (few of the instances have  bosses highly rated in difficulty compared to all MMORPGs) I actually remember the top1 hardest boss being a fight between Lich king 25hc(wow) vs Shandra Manaya hard mode(Tera). Cool PvP with different variations (world,battlegrounds,arena,duels,faction,gwg) , very cool community 10/10 would log on to chat with people again they are always fun.  
    3. Lineage II - Until the end of Interlude. Considering that back then it was either WoW or nothing for me Lineage was unique approach and i enjoyed every minute of it, mostly the PvP and the world.  
    4. Aion - You fly and kill shit, what else do you want ? Hop in.  
    5. AoC - didnt get to play it that much, ended up joining it when it was going downhill. Up to the end of tortage the game is actually PERFECTION. After that bugs, no voice over, lags. Game is still good though these bugs lags and no voice over doesnt really stop you from going to end game.  

Some honorable mentions:
    Neverwinter: Enjoyed the combat and leveling. Too bad it's perfect world game.  
    Skyforge: Endless leveling, loved the combat probably one of the best i expirienced.  
    Blade and Soul: Most fun you can get in an 1v1 in any game.  

• aim4theheadxaim4theheadx Member UncommonPosts: 14
    edited April 2016
    Archeage 

1. It gave me the political nuance of EVE without boring combat. (Espionage , Backstabbing , Alliances)

2. Contested world bosses , incentivised PVP with things like Hasla

3. LOVED the RNG crafting , made it more fun for me

4. IT wasnt a little league game , everyone didnt get a trophy , those who worked  enjoyed the fruits of their labor although cheaters and whales did too. 

5. It wasnt a game where everyone got to do everything , you had to be in a good guild to do content like Kraken, Red Dragon etc. Made everything feel more worth. 

6. For the first time i felt like was living in another world , where i had friends , enemies , allies who didnt really like but needed. Also a player driven economy that i could noticeably affect myself.

7. NAVAL BATTLES!

8. For the first time in an MMO i set long term goals that i was unable to reach even with the thousands of hours i put in. Every other MMO i play i hit a point where ive done everything i wanted, got all the gear i wanted. AA was different.

9. For the first time in an MMO i actually HATED the other faction , on my server we were heavily outnumbered , we really bought into being the oppressed asians from the east , it was almost like we were roleplaying without even knowing it. Every time we won something it was like a faction wide party. When we banded together at auroria as a faction and managed to scrape together 1 castle , it was pure bliss. My finest MMO moment by far.

If it wasnt p2w id still be playing today, but i had a blast for about 8 months that i dont think ill ever come close to in another MMO. 

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Another one for City of Heroes.  Game-wise, it was not "the best mechanically" overall.  However, the community on my server was awesome.  We had a Super Group (The Sisterhood) that ran community events every weekend, open to all who showed up.  We had costume contests almost daily.  Asking in chat for help rarely left one out in the cold, alone.  Some players would log in and immediately yell in chat, "Anyone need help, today?"

A great community (what is rare in today's MMOs) can make a terrible game playable, a mediocre game tolerable, and a great game the "best game ever."

VG

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    World of Warcraft. Tons of content. Everything works. Sense of fun.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Heffy424Heffy424 Member UncommonPosts: 524
    Since you said the last 10 years I have to rule out EQ1 and DAoC since my favorite memories of those games happened aroun 2000-2005. So that leaves me with only 3 titles (WoW,SWG,SW:ToR). I have to go with SWG it felt unique to me and I love star wars everything about the grind to Jedi with holocrons to the village to the transition to space to the CU and than the NGE. While I disliked the NGE and left out of spite I went back and gave it a second go and saw a new game and made a whole new group of friends. Only 3 times have I made such a great group friends with total strangers in a MMO and 2 of those times stem from SWG.

• Bullet2hartBullet2hart Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Lotro till Siege of Mirkwood Expansion. 

Enjoyed it a lot, and was the first proper MMO that I got into Guild (Kinship) relationships with.
    Still have friends to this day I met when Moria was released, and the dungeon grinding for Radiance was actually quite fun when I look back at it, even though it was a pain in the ass at the time.

I mained a Lore-Master so I was in the unique position of being chosen quite a lot in raids, since not many other people played them, and became an Officer in my Kin not too far down the line.

Siege of Mirkwood was then released, after the Lothlorien mini-release, and it started going down hill.
    The feeling of the game dying was quite intense and lots of people I interacted with on what was once a daily basis, either quit, or were moving on with their lives and only logging in for 2-3 hours a night.

I can't really blame the game so much, I consider time being the worst enemy with that game.
    It wasn't really drawing any people in, and people were leaving so it was becoming increasingly frustrating for myself and a few select others who had to wait around for weeks for people to be geared enough to do end-game, repetitively and quickly since at the time the end-game 12 man was super hard and took like 4-5 hours to complete..

However, I've never had the feeling I had when I was playing this game, and finally left around the time of Rise of Isengaard, returning around the time of Helms Deep for a short period before finally putting the nail in the coffin.

Lotro was more than a game to me, it was my social interaction outside of work and I miss all the people I was fortunate enough to meet and have some great times with.

Nowadays, I just can't connect the way I did back then, I try, but the same starts happening again and it just kills my willpower to want to carry on putting effort into making friends and just losing them further down the line.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Marvel Heroes .. because it can be played as a great single player game. 
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Lotro was more than a game to me, it was my social interaction outside of work and I miss all the people I was fortunate enough to meet and have some great times with.
    I've played many MMO's over the past 20 years and LotRO gave me the best social experience out of all of them. I was part of a great Kinship and met some really amazing people. Like you, it was my social interaction outside of work and it lasted for about 3 years. When the game went F2P after Mirkwood it lost something and then they went away from the group content and making the game easier for solo players. I remember when actually making it to level 20 and getting the "Undying" title was actually a challenge. You even had to be cautious of your surroundings while questing because of the occasional roaming elite mob that could kill you if you got aggro. I felt the changes Turbine was making were doing more harm than good and it was really sad to see.

The cash shop and moving away from group content are two of the things that drove most of my Kin away including myself. When I came back to the game last year for a short time there was only a couple of people from my old Kin still actively playing. Everyone else had moved on just like I had. And now with the closure of my old server I'll most likely never get to play with those people ever again.

I've been back to the game for about a month now and while it's not the same magical game it once was, its still a solid game and better than most of the MMO's out there today.
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited April 2016
    WoW.

Because I've met lots of awesome people there that have been my friends for many many years.

The game is also just good, without going into an extremely long list of reasons lol.

PoE is also right up there with WoW, with the same reasons as it.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    The Combat Upgrade of Star Wars Galaxies

1) robust crafting
    2) starship combat
    3)decent ground combat
    4) big worlds
    5)Star Wars
  • DeltoisDeltois Member UncommonPosts: 384

DAOC

Simply the best game I ve played. The RvR never got boring, and people actually had pride in their realm and want to win each battle. Nowadays it s whoever gets the highest points, highest dps or get the pvp gear the quickest.

FFXI

Some of the funnest and most frusturating PVE I ve played. All in a good way. Death was painful so you actually had to be careful. The story was amazing, and friendships made were amazing.

Nothing has come close to those 2 games at all. As a matter of fact I sub them both to this day, and hope one day something will come out similar.

• prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    City of Heroes had hands down the best RP community of any game I have ever played. DCUO in the early days had a good one too. SWTOR and TSW have the best for pure story. EQ1 was fun till the end of Velious, WoW till the end of WotLK. EQ2 has my favorite housing and crafting systems.  Not really interested in any of the new ones that have come out or are coming out. I am about done with MMOS.

• helldenhellden Member UncommonPosts: 21

Everquest online adventures on the ps2, looking back it was a simple game, but it was fun and I had a lot of good times and met some real life friends there . Also spent more than my fair share of time on EQ.