Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Way Forward for a Genre

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    koljane said:
    laserit said:

koljane said:

koljane said:

8.6 is just lol !!!

Only magazine i take relevant when it comes to review gave it 7.2.

Question is how much is to pay for the score on mmorpg?

You guys are a disgrace !

"Wow! These guys don't share my opinion! They HAVE to be bribed. That's the ONLY way something like that could ever be possible!"

Well, i have done over 400 reviews in my life and play games from C64 (Commodore 64, if you are young and dont know what C64 means).

And I know how to look in game in general. Yes, there are things that are good, specialy graphics but there is so much Asian grind just nicely packed.

Back in the days there was a game called Ultima Online (maybe Bill knows about that game cause I see how he is liking coments that are trown at me but I understand, cause there is family to support and money to earn) that had that "Job after a job way of playing" and it was mind blowing but it is alreay seen and we have mass games coming with similar aproach.

Score with 90+ is a serious bussines and with the lack of lot of things in game and bugs that are still present game cant go 90.

Never said that game is bad i sad that 90+ is LOL cause game is in range of 70 -78 on a best day.

My point is that score fror Black Desert is boosted and there are only 2 ways why: Author is not objective toward game cause he is so supportiv and ignore facts or money talks in wich case i belive more.

So you're one of those types who thinks they know what everyone likes, or should I say "should like"

Get off yourself, and I've been playing personal computer games since the original TRS80 if you are young and don't know what that is.
    Before you post something like this i would kindly suggest you read first, then think about what i wrote then post your coment. Guess you are old so you are not that sharp anymore :dizzy: 
    I did read what you wrote. You come across as very condescending.

So you've done 400 reviews, Whoopy shit. For who and where?  We aren't all just idiots here, I've played thousands of games going back to the very beginning of the industry.  I and pretty much everyone one here reviews every game they play just like you, except we don't write our thoughts down, we do other things for a living.  Why don't you open a thread and post us some of your reviews. I'd like to read your reviews, maybe I and many more here would like to critique yours.

For someone who writes for a living, you should really work on your grammar.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited April 2016
    Most fun MMO for me in years, I don't care about getting to lvl50+ I play the game, I have built a big wagon, I have built a fishing Boat, I have decorated my 2 floor apartment, I do questing, I do conversations, crafting blue armour and weapons to sell, I explore, finding buttload of treasure chest, I fish, I do trading, I cook, I brew potions, I have 5 small gardens to tend to.

So yeah I'm having a blast, I will end up soon in the 50 range but not to soon, It's a good thing also, more content x-packs will get released so I have even more things to enjoy, hell I havent even been in the new land yet.

So why the hell should anyone rush to lvl 50 when you miss out sooooo much, you just have to back track which is really a pain in the ass.
  • ErdaErda Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Great review and sums up my feelings exactly. The game is a big time sink, probably a bit more than some other MMO's I've played. It fits me perfectly though---between family stuff I can craft, explore, and work on hundreds of little goals. Just wish that I could get my husband to play it however he is mostly a dungeon runner so I don't have high hopes.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I could turn that around and say that the purpose of PVP is to control nodes and regions (even if they still haven't given us that in NA/EU...it's coming) in order to amass wealth. So the end game is being wealthy. PVP is just a means to that end... and only one of them :) 
    Yeah but what are you going to spending your riches on?  

Anything I want.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    DMKano said:
    JDis25 said:
    Loving the game, really does have a LOT of ways to make money and progress your character. And it never pigeon holes you into one thing. You are free to change it up at any time, which is nice. Only thing locked is your combat class, but you can make alts and swap gear so it's not too bad.

I don't play this game for Story, Lore, or Voiceovers. I don't really get texture pop-ins all that much. I have an awesome costume and that is enough for me to buy on the cash shop.

For me the cons are the gear-disparity. But I try not to let it bother me. If you play this game for 12 months straight, you will be basically on par with everyone else, even when the 16-20 enchantment levels are added. The game DEMANDS patience, which is both a PRO and a CON depending on who you ask.

I have played the korean version for 12 months I am not even close to top 20% of players in gear let alone the top 5%.

The majority that stick with BD for 12 months are the hardcore geared PvP players - pve players would have moved on long time ago.
    I have to believe that in Korea they play the game more hardcore than the West but that's just based on everything I think I know about Korea. Also, If you aren't in the top 20% I can believe that, but we can't talk percentages, because no matter the gear disparity there will always be the top 5%, top 20%, etc. 

However your gear disparity between you and the top, let's say 10%, is nowhere NEAR the gear disparity that currently exists at this moment in the Western version that just launched. Because right now the richest players with the most time invested are still advancing their characters at a rapid pace. I would ASSUME that if you played for 12 months consistently, that by the end of that year, the gear disparity would be MUCH less and the gear-advantage less of an issue because the top players aren't still feeding their characters upgrade after upgrade.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    edited April 2016
    The pop ins make this a no go for me.
    It's one of the few things,graphics wise,that I can't stand at all and would keep me from playing a game.
    From what I have read and viewed so far this is a game that I would have a lot of fun playing.
    But pop ins...really....sorry I won't even.
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    edited April 2016
    Rockard said:
    It's one of the few things,graphics wise,that I can't stand at all and would keep me from playing a game.
    From what I have read and viewed so far this is a game that I would have a lot of fun playing.
    I have a high end PC, granted, even though my graphic card is aging, and the only "Pop in" I notice is black silhouettes for NPCs when arriving in crowded areas. Nothing immersion breaking.
    In the videos I've seen,I can clearly see objects like trees and rocks in the world going through their various LoD levels,and creating a nasty pop in effect,at least to my eyes.
    I know there's the fix of allowing your CPU to draw as many frames as possible  before the GPU,but  that could also create input lag issues,and it doesn't completely eliminate the
    problem.
    When they offer a trial I'll definitely give it a go on my PC.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Rockard said:
    Rockard said:
    I have a high end PC, granted, even though my graphic card is aging, and the only "Pop in" I notice is black silhouettes for NPCs when arriving in crowded areas. Nothing immersion breaking.
    In the videos I've seen,I can clearly see objects like trees and rocks in the world going through their various LoD levels,and creating a nasty pop in effect,at least to my eyes.
    I know there's the fix of allowing your CPU to draw as many frames as possible  before the GPU,but
    that could also create input lag issues,and it doesn't completely eliminate the pop ins.
    When they offer a trial I'll definitely give it a go on my PC.
    Granted I have a high end system, but the only thing I get pop ins with is NPC's  It's also something thats very common in high end consumer flight simulation.

The most common way to improve the problem is to keep your hard disk defragged if you're still running a mechanical drive it can make a world of difference if your drive is badly fragmented. SSD's will also make give you a world of difference.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

koljane said:

8.6 is just lol !!!

Only magazine i take relevant when it comes to review gave it 7.2.

Question is how much is to pay for the score on mmorpg?

You guys are a disgrace !

"Wow! These guys don't share my opinion! They HAVE to be bribed. That's the ONLY way something like that could ever be possible!"

Actually, not his opinion, someone else's opinion. That being said, it is at a 74 on Metacritic, MMORGP.COM is tied for the 2nd highest, and some troll website gave it a 50.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Rockard said:
    I bought the game, logged in and ran around, logged out after 10 minutes and spent the next several days looking to see if there was a fix or a planned fix for this.

it bugged the hell out of me.  I logged in another day and out again after 10 min.

A week later I logged in and started wandering around exploring just to see how big the game world was. By the end of 8 hours doing this I no longer even noticed the pop in and was completely hooked. 

For some reason, after playing the game for several hours, your brain adjusts and filters out the pop in.    If this is the only thing holding you back, I reccomend you try to push through it for a few hours.  I read the same from someone else and thought it was bullshit but it worked. No plans to play anything else for a very long while. 
  • tjchaostjchaos Member UncommonPosts: 11
    gameplay 9?? surely when u rate a game u would take combat in to play and how hard/easy it is may as well play simcity
  • MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Anyone hating on the game here know this: if you have not put ATLEAST 40 hours in an MMORPG, especially one as big as this, your opinion is not valid. I have tried getting into some recent MMOs, I even bashed this game right before release, I was playing Blade and Soul at the time and was liking it so I hated on this game bashing it as a grind and such, which to a point it is, however...

I am in love with this game. I am not very good at many things, I am a shitty crafter in .ost MMOs, I don't have the worker system down yet, but it doesn't matter. This game amazes me, the size of it is mind boggling, combat is a blast, everything is so fun. Horse taming is such a small part of the game but when I see a wild horse I am giddy with excitement! I lost my MMORPG home when City of Heroes shut down, I have tried to fill the void with other games and Black Desert is the closest game to filling that void. 9/10 for me and the 1 point is off because it is complicated to learn many of the systems, but it is worth it!!

Mystery Bounty

• ShrikeArghastShrikeArghast Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Bought the game... liked it for a while... got to 50 and completely lost interest. The grind goes from stiff to intolerable from there on out... but in order to PvP competitively, you really have to be 55-56. And, frankly, when it takes 10+ hours to gain a single level, I'm out.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited April 2016
    Bought the game... liked it for a while... got to 50 and completely lost interest. The grind goes from stiff to intolerable from there on out... but in order to PvP competitively, you really have to be 55-56. And, frankly, when it takes 10+ hours to gain a single level, I'm out.
     So I'm confused, people want a game that takes a while to get to end game, but then they complain about it taking too long once they get it. This is why there will never be a game that everyone will play, and why people dreaming that there one day might be, are living a fantasy. Some people in this thread have said it should take 6 months to get to end game. Yet people cry over 10 hours.
  • Deth70Deth70 Member UncommonPosts: 12

Great review, Bill. I'm more tempted than ever to try the game now!

Go for it disregard the people crying its a solid game and alot of fun see you in game!
  • HJ-NavarreHJ-Navarre Hero's Journey GMMember UncommonPosts: 104
    This is the very best MMORPG to have been released in years.. maybe ever. I am feeling love for it I haven't felt since UO, DAoC, and MUDs before that. Very EVE-esque in its complexity. Love it.
  • toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Sorry. AA burned my bridges with Korean mmos. Cash money to upgrade end game gear to remain competitive is just such bs. As for the score I enjoy the reviews here on mmorpg but I ignore the scores. Half the reviewers get comp for the reviews and the other half (cough Suzie cough cough) let their personal feelings get in the way of an unbiased review score.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    toolak said:
    Sorry. AA burned my bridges with Korean mmos. Cash money to upgrade end game gear to remain competitive is just such bs. As for the score I enjoy the reviews here on mmorpg but I ignore the scores. Half the reviewers get comp for the reviews and the other half (cough Suzie cough cough) let their personal feelings get in the way of an unbiased review score.
     BDO doesn't do gear the same way as AA, you don't need to purchase anything to upgrade to +15, it just takes time grinding, or making silver to purchase it from the player market from someone who did grind it.  Cash shop items are all cosmetic items although they add small bonuses, non of them are needed to do max damage at max level. Most people see cosmetic horse armor in the cash shop and assume that it's the same as real horse armor, it's not.  Many people doing their "reviews" after hitting level 15 are once again truly doing a disservice to the game community. Even many players who rushed to max level hardly understand the game.
  • Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    I have to agree with a lot of posters here... I am not seeing it! I am a level 20 warrior and I have lodging and some workers and while it all sounds good in theory, it's just not that fun. The game at least for me, seems like a less fun version of Archeage with more unenjoyable things to do.

I mean do people really find sending workers out to gather materials fun? Is it really fun to have to worry about feeding said workers? Is afk fishing really something that should be on the selling list for a game?

Don't know about anyone else but I am extremely let down with BDO.
  • Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    edited April 2016

Mardukk said:

Revolutionary game. Couldn't agree more with the review. However there are a great deal of people rushing to grind level and gear while ignoring all of the rest of the systems in the game. They then come to these forums and bitch about the game. That's a you problem.

Complainers, have fun returning to your linear quest hub themeparks. Where all there is to do is quest, instance dungeon instance pvp with a shallow tacked crafting system.

As opposed to what? Sitting on a click screen and sending workers out to gather materials so you can sit on another click screen and have more workers use the materials? Creating a path so you can afk and walk circles around the path to get more endurance? AFK fishing?

Yes there is a ton to do, but that doesn't mean there is a ton of fun things to do.
    P.S. - people mock themeparks but I would rather 2 or 3 really engaging things to do as opposed to 15 meh things.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Jean-Luc_Picard said:
    As opposed to grinding "kill 10 rats" and "bring me 20 boar testicles" quests you don't even read the text of anymore...
    Because BDO does not have any of those, right...?
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    It's difficult to even determine how "popular" the game actually is when BDO encourages 24/7 AFK play because of all the grinding players have to do (auto looping to AFK level horses for example). I guess it makes the servers look full. But how many people are actually actively playing the game?
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    It's difficult to even determine how "popular" the game actually is when BDO encourages 24/7 AFK play because of all the grinding players have to do (auto looping to AFK level horses for example). I guess it makes the servers look full. But how many people are actually actively playing the game?
    Hardly. If people care enough about the game to constantly keep their computers running, it's fair to say they're pretty invested in it. AFK features or not, if a game doesn't interest me, I won't be wasting my CPU resources on it.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is a shallow driving force that has most gamer's playing games for the wrong reasons......to attain end level.
    When i game i couldn't car less about the levels but if your game is going to use levels,each and every level had better feel important and not just a level number and this is where BDO fails as usual,NONE of the levels feel important.
    My biggest peeve and total turnoff is when a developer is too damn daum cheap to put even the most obvious asset into the game ...AMMO for the Archer.When i see the most obvious laziness and cheapness whcich btw should also be a crafting item,i just think this developer cannot possibly make a good game.

Instead i got the feeling the entire design was there to control the rmt input on the game but did so by removing the human element.None the less i can't look past the fact there is no ammo,it says AMATEUR hour developer.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247
    In my opinion no game that calls itself an "MMORPG" should be easy to get into. It should be a rich, persistent world filled with things that keep you interested in it by providing you with a lot of varied things to do. Combat should be complex enough to take time to master, and varied enough that even when mastered it is still interesting and fun to do. Rushing to a level cap shouldn't be a thing.

I have taken to calling most games that make some kind of claim to be in the genre "MMOGs" (because "MMO" seems incomplete to me). They are multi-player, they are online, and they might even be good games, but they are not MMORPGs. I thought that way about W0W when I started playing it in 2005 (and it has become even less of an RPG since that time), and that's how I think about most of the ones that have been released since then.

I'll repeat for those that aren't paying attention: I'm not saying games like WoW aren't good games (I've certainly played it long enough to prove that), I'm saying they aren't part of the genre as it was created and not what I want from that genre. It's very good to have a game like BDO come along and fill the void. Perfect? There are no perfect games, they're all flawed in some way, but BDO, for me, gets enough right that I'll forgive those flaws. I'm not telling anyone they "should" like the game; it isn't for everyone. And it doesn't pretend to be. It's for the type of player that wants a richer experience in a persistent world, and if you aren't that, happily there are other games you can enjoy. Which is a good thing. :)

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall