Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally -- A Sequel To Everquest I Style Gameplay

ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111
Given how successful Everquest has been (and one of the longest running MMOs), it was breathtaking to see SoE fumble with their efforts to create a sequel to such a popular franchise.  Now with Pantheon, Rise of the Fallen, we finally get to look forward to playing an Everquest I style game, with all of the technology goodness that an MMO of 17 years ago, just could not provide.

Can't wait!

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited April 2016
    Despite the Vanguard debacle, I'm gonna put this on my interest list. Is this sub based or buy to play?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Sub based
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Xatsh said:
    Sub based
    With cash shop .....and preorders and likely most other monetization techniques employed today.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    False. Pantheon will not have a cash shop. Its subscription based, and will have a box price.

They do plan to offer a free trial, which will mean they will have to keep trial players on a separate server, or disable certain things so that trial accounts don't adversely affect subscribers.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    From Pantheon FAQ:

What is Pantheon’s Revenue Model? Will the game be pay to play, free to play, freemium or what?

We are considering either using the traditional subscription based model or a model where the player buys the game and then has the option of purchasing mini-expansions or ‘modules’ after launch. Either way, the game’s world will continue to expand, more content will be added, as well as new features and mechanics. Visionary Realms strongly believes that the revenue model of an MMO needs to match the game’s target audience. Because of this, Pantheon will not be ‘freemium’ or have ‘cash shops’ -- building your character and advancing in-game will be based on time invested and tactics used, not on how much money the player has in real life.

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Kyleran said:
    Xatsh said:
    Sub based
    With cash shop .....and preorders and likely most other monetization techniques employed today.

No, VRI said no cash shop.
  • ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111
    The people producing Pantheon, had their hands in helping to create Everquest I, Star Wars Galaxies, & Vanguard Saga of Heroes.  I have played many games and I must say that those three MMOs are without a doubt, the best three games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. 

Pantheon should be their next successful game.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Chrysaor said:
    ...it was breathtaking to see SoE fumble with their efforts to create a sequel to such a popular franchise. 
    I'm not sure this is an accurate statement. It would seem better to state, "Renova didn't feel there was enough value in the production, and EQNext was cancelled". We'll never know if it would have been a "fumble". They still own the IP, though, so there's every possibility we'll see EQ titles in the future, though they may be freemium mobile games.
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    It is very doubtful that DBG can do any meaningfull things to the Everquest name anymore.

At this point in time id actually value Visionary Realms higher then DBG. Actually from three view points: Experience, Skill and trust. I would even make a guess and say Visionary Realms even has more financial options. DBG is owned by a company that is only known for buying and splitting up other companys, then selling the assets. I doubt they have any worthwhile funding at all.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited April 2016
     DBG is owned by a company that is only known for buying and splitting up other companys, then selling the assets.

Really?  What companies did they split up and sell off assets?

edited April 2016
    svann said:
     DBG is owned by a company that is only known for buying and splitting up other companys, then selling the assets.

Really?  What companies did they split up and sell off?

Renova Group is an international corporation with its hands in most things imaginable, worthy of a mention in a James Bond novel. It takes some research to find details, but they do pretty much everything you'd imagine a powerful international corporation could or would do.

http://www.renova.ru/en/structure/company/detail/130/

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Chrysaor said:
    The people producing Pantheon, had their hands in helping to create Everquest I, Star Wars Galaxies, & Vanguard Saga of Heroes.  I have played many games and I must say that those three MMOs are without a doubt, the best three games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. 

Aren't they the third team already and a bunch of unpaid newcomers because Brad doesn't like to pay his people?
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Chrysaor said:

Aren't they the third team already and a bunch of unpaid newcomers because Brad doesn't like to pay his people?
    I guess they had one or more significant angel investors last fall. It brings in questions of its own, for example what percentage of the whole these people bought in, but I don't really care enough to look into it.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    edited April 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
    svann said:

Renova Group is an international corporation with its hands in most things imaginable, worthy of a mention in a James Bond novel. It takes some research to find details, but they do pretty much everything you'd imagine a powerful international corporation could or would do.

I know they are an investment company.  If someone is claiming that they are only known to buy up and sell off assets then they should know enough of what they are talking about to name at least 2 cases where they did so.  Otherwise, they are just regurgitating something they think someone told them.

Just because they are an investment company does not logically imply that you know how they act.  Also, just because they are well diversified does not imply something sinister like a James Bond novel.

Dont get me wrong, Im not defending them - I really dont know.  They could be bad guys or maybe not - I have seen no evidence except that they are an investment company which as evidence is weak as water.  Rattenmann made a claim and I asked him to back it up with facts.
    svann said:
    Adjuvant1 said:
    svann said:

I know they are an investment company.  If someone is claiming that they are only known to buy up and sell off assets then they should know enough of what they are talking about to name at least 2 cases where they did so.  Otherwise, they are just regurgitating something they think someone told them.

Just because they are an investment company does not logically imply that you know how they act.
    I'd kinda like to hope at least one of those multi-millionaires on the board has an interest in online gaming. They claim to keep a profile of more long term investments. There are people above Columbus Nova who hand down orders, though. Just sayin.
    Everquest I, Star Wars Galaxies, and Vanguard Saga of Heroes.  All fantastic MMOs.  No reason to believe that Pantheon Rise of the Fallen cannot benefit from that track record.
    Chrysaor said:
    Everquest I, Star Wars Galaxies, and Vanguard Saga of Heroes.  All fantastic MMOs.  No reason to believe that Pantheon Rise of the Fallen cannot benefit from that track record.
    Uhm yeah but what I was saying was that last I heard of this team, it was already the third team working on this project and that they are unpaid beginners.

Do you have a list of who is working on this project and what each of them did on the games you mentioned?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Kyleran said:
    Xatsh said:
    Sub based

Stop lying.
  • LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    I am hopeful that of Pantheon, Chronicles of Elyria and Saga of Lucimia, there will be at least one gem.  I just hate that, for me, MMO gaming is all about looking forward to the release of a game that is always 2-3 years away...grrr!
  • ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Dakeru said:
    Chrysaor said:
    Uhm yeah but what I was saying was that last I heard of this team, it was already the third team working on this project and that they are unpaid beginners.

Do you have a list of who is working on this project and what each of them did on the games you mentioned?
    http://www.pantheonmmo.com/about_us/the_team/

Zarriya said:
    Thank you.
    I googled some of the names but still couldn't find any relation to the previously named games.

Any list for that?
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Zarriya said:
    Thank you.
    I googled some of the names but still couldn't find any relation to the previously named games.

Any list for that?

http://bradmcquaid.com/Brad_McQuaid/Welcome.html
    Ok so by the "people" producing Pantheon you meant only Brad?
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Ok so by the "people" producing Pantheon you meant only Brad?

Another link:

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/about_us/visionary_realms/

Take some time and explore the official website.  Read the forums and such.  Watch the demo videos.  I am sure you will see lots of game mechanics that you fondly remember from those prior MMOs.

In general, I would imagine that if you enjoyed Everquest I, you will also enjoy Pantheon.  A few examples:

*  Interdependent Class System (Classes will have roles, group composition will have meaning)
    *  Complex Faction (Your actions will have consequences)
    *  Social / Group Focused (Meet people and take on greater challenges, form guilds)
    *  Non-instanced (With a few exceptions)
    *  Dungeon Camps / Dungeon Crawls (Lots of great memories from prior games)
    *  Crafting / Tradeskills (Lots of gamers enjoy gathering and creating items for profit)
    *  Raiding (Perhaps something similar to 54 person raids)
    *  Dangerous Challenging World  (The greater the risk the greater the potential reward)
    *  Epic Quests (An EQ favorite)
    *  Exploration via Meaningful Travel (A fun activity for many)
    *  Likely PVP Server(s) (Maybe similar to the prior Zek servers)
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Kyleran said:
    Xatsh said:
    Sub based

There is some sort of resentment percolating inside you, no?