Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Hey Kid Get Off My Lawn" Aggro Range

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
I don't know if this is true, or whether it just seemed true. But when I played EQ I had the impression that if you went into a zone where the mobs were significantly higher level than you were, they seemed to aggro you from faaaaaaaaar away. 

If that was not true it should be in Pantheon, imo. :) 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Nah i don't like that type of aggro,i prefer various types rather than predictable proximity.

FFXI did this miles the best,with various sight ,hearing,bleeding,Job ability,True sight,true hearing,magic aggro systems.Each mob should have their own type of aggro system not just 360 degree proximity.
    One of my most memorable peeves from Vanguard was aggroing a whole fort when there was no realistic plausible realism for it,it just looked really dumb.

On the same note,i don't like anymore than 1 mob on each it's own AI,i can't stand seeing 3 or 6 mobs all tied to the same AI,it again looks real fake.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    For a while, I was certain that cats (of any kind) were out to get me in EQ1.  I considered picking a last name of CatToi, but settled on Indigestible because there were more than lions out to get me.  Thank you South Karana for pointing this fact out to me.  Now, may I have some kind of refund on all the times I dinged level 27 and all those corpse runs back from Qeynos?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited April 2016
    Wizardry said:
    Nah i don't like that type of aggro,i prefer various types rather than predictable proximity.

FFXI did this miles the best,with various sight ,hearing,bleeding,Job ability,True sight,true hearing,magic aggro systems.Each mob should have their own type of aggro system not just 360 degree proximity.
    One of my most memorable peeves from Vanguard was aggroing a whole fort when there was no realistic plausible realism for it,it just looked really dumb.

On the same note,i don't like anymore than 1 mob on each it's own AI,i can't stand seeing 3 or 6 mobs all tied to the same AI,it again looks real fake.
    Various AI's working together could look like one. Swarm AI. Differentiation could probably be represented by variables, meaning the swarm isn't perfect. This is sort of what you see in a raid when players come together.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited April 2016
    Amathe said:
    I don't know if this is true, or whether it just seemed true. But when I played EQ I had the impression that if you went into a zone where the mobs were significantly higher level than you were, they seemed to aggro you from faaaaaaaaar away. 

I don't remember this. But I do remember monsters targetting the weakest members routinely. Like if your health was low they seemed to be attracted to you. I think this mechanic was removed later, but I'm not certain.

Also if you were sitting. Maybe my imagination.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Amathe said:

I don't remember this. But I do remember monsters targetting the weakest members routinely. Like if your health was low they seemed to be attracted to you. I think this mechanic was removed later, but I'm not certain.

Also if you were sitting. Maybe my imagination.
    Wasn't your imagination. There were several variables like the ones you stated that would cause someone to pull aggro.

There were also increased aggro radii for players lower than a mob, but it wasn't generally anything extreme. Some mobs had a naturally larger agro range, which may have increased the low level aggro range on a larger scale. In general though, mobs didn't just run across a zone to hunt you down. You still generally had to be in line of sight and at least within cast range.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    At one point there was a luclin outdoor zone where if the mobs could see you they agroed onto you.  They eventually toned that down tho.