Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hero's Song - What's Next for Smedley's Dream Game? a Interviews at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageHero's Song - What's Next for Smedley's Dream Game? a Interviews at MMORPG.com

Hero's Song is the new game from John Smedley's Pixel Mage Games, and though it failed to gain traction via Kickstarter, the unique MMORPG with a Patrick Rothfuss crafted world is forging ahead. We caught up with John to see where the game is in development now...

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• toolaktoolak Member UncommonPosts: 154
    11/5/05. We will never forgive and never forget.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

toolak said:

People make mistakes, just like I am sure you have. Companies are run by people. So holding people/companies to a higher standard than you expect people to hold you up to, is just moronic.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

toolak said:

sigh was gonna give a history lesson and post interviews which shows how much lucasarts influenced that decision and smed not going around mitigating blame but too much effort
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Sounds interesting. I like the art style as well.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    toolak said:
    How incredibly overly-dramatic of you. Do you throw a scarf over your shoulder and walk off into the fog as you utter the last words?

• JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90
    To the SWGers *myself included", I can understand the hatred towards JS. However the NGE was in fact, Gordon's Walton's fault in some way. I'm in Crowfall alpha and he straight up said blame me first for that. It was a concept that originally was going to be a seperate planetary control / big battles since the SWG couldn't handle large scale pvp (character customization was to blame). This would directly tie into the RPG SWG game.

However, due to lack of resources or not wanting to spend them SOE/LA declined that, but the idea eventually made the NGE.

This game actually looks really cool, I'm a huge fan of pixel art. So please ex SWGers, it's been more then a decade, let it go for fuck sakes.
  • JeyhuJeyhu Member UncommonPosts: 90
    edited April 2016

toolak said:

It's a fucking video game, not like we're remembering millions of soldiers who died in war. That is something we shouldn't forget. SWG is gone, deal with it.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    While many of the ideas and concepts about HS sound interesting, the overall graphics put me off everytime I see a picture. I grew up with the 2D art style and have no interest in returning. But for everyone that enjoys it, I hope this game turns out to be enjoyable for you.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have no interest in anything Smedley is selling,he has ripped me off before and have no intentions of letting him rip me off again.Furthermore his game looks like crap,it looks like some low budget Indie developer,not like a game where the leader has 20+ years experience.

It is not even about 2D art style,ALL graphics are in reality 2D,it is more about just simply looking like crap.

What he is attempting to do is remake a super cheap version of EQ2,taking 5 years of work and trying to fit it into less than 1 year.You watch,i said this long ago about EQN,this will be 100% guaranteed an EARLY release,founders packs lmao,so in other words,selling unfinished work.He saw it worked for H1Z1 so he will do it again,4-6 months of work released for sale.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    @Wizardry If you don't care and aren't interested why even comment? Also, if you read the interview, which is reads like you didn't, he already stated people will be able to preorder for early access or something similar.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Wizardry said:
    I have no interest in anything Smedley is selling,he has ripped me off before and have no intentions of letting him rip me off again.Furthermore his game looks like crap,it looks like some low budget Indie developer,not like a game where the leader has 20+ years experience.

It is not even about 2D art style,ALL graphics are in reality 2D,it is more about just simply looking like crap.

What he is attempting to do is remake a super cheap version of EQ2,taking 5 years of work and trying to fit it into less than 1 year.You watch,i said this long ago about EQN,this will be 100% guaranteed an EARLY release,founders packs lmao,so in other words,selling unfinished work.He saw it worked for H1Z1 so he will do it again,4-6 months of work released for sale.
    I agree, I expect to see a half finished game being sold as early access, with a line something like this.  "The core game play elements are in place, during this crucial home stretch phase we wanted to involve the community to make the game they want to play blaa, blaa, blaa......."

In other words, we don't have the money or time for the true 3 to 4 year development cycle of a complete game, nor do we have a completed vision for our game, so lets sell what we have now and add what people ask for later  to the cash shop.  Worked for Cryptic Studios.
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    @goboygo ;

MMORPG: One last thing - will you be opening up some sort of crowdfunding program outside of Kickstarter? There were quite a few people intrigued by the ideas of HS on MMORPG.com, and despite the Kickstarter failing, I'm sure there are those who'd like to back Hero's Song.

JS: We’re going to be doing something to let people get the game early. It might end up being a crowdfunding campaign or just straight up pre-orders that let you into the game early. We’re considering both. Either way people are going to get a lot better idea of exactly what Hero’s Song is over the next 4-6 weeks and I think people are going to get as excited to play it as we are making it.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Nanfoodle said:

toolak said:

People make mistakes, just like I am sure you have. Companies are run by people. So holding people/companies to a higher standard than you expect people to hold you up to, is just moronic.
    Sorry, Smedley has been a train wreck since EQ.  He was a one hit wonder.  Even ignoring the SWP blunder, he has produced nothing of note since EQ.  The studio became a revolving door of most of the good talent leaving and not much coming in.  I was surprised someone thought there was enough there to buy the studio.  You notice they booted Smedley soon after.

Anyone thinking anything he is associated with will be half decent is deluding themselves.  Even his old EQ buddy Brad MacQuaid has a much better chance of producing a decent game than him.  John has swallowed his foot so many times it is not even funny anymore.  
  • khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Sounds like its not close to being a game yet.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    I love the art style. Hope the game will actually be good, too.
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    think I may have missed something somewhere but
    this looks like a phone/tablet game - is that it?

• MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I backed Kickstarter and I'll back again if they open up a store. Will definitely be playing this one.