Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lfgame of course, high fantasy, elves, dwarves type of thing

Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
List of good high fantasy games? Elves, Dwaves, etc. I generally prefer this type of lore to others, you know the D&D type lore. I've really enjoyed EQ2 on and off over the years, same with WoW. I didn't get into Rift much, animations were a little off for me for some reason. Any other good MMO's like this worth playing? Newer I should say, not LotRO or anything that old if possible. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

Comments

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Why can't I edit? Anyways, tried GW2 also awhile back, didn't click with me. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Black Desert Online seems to be the new thing. I am currently playing a bit of Asta Online, which is an asian style WoW. It's no where near in depth as GW2 or EQ2, but it's free and something different. Just a thought! If you find something be sure and share it! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

edited April 2016
    Amjoco said:
    Black Desert Online seems to be the new thing. I am currently playing a bit of Asta Online, which is an asian style WoW. It's no where near in depth as GW2 or EQ2, but it's free and something different. Just a thought! If you find something be sure and share it! :)
    My only problem with BDO is the cash shop. Not trying to start that argument here, but thats what killed that for me. So not going to play BDO  ;)

Elves and dwarves can be found in Lineage II. Classic server was opened recently.

Check it out only if you can dedicate plenty of time to the game and like to level up by killing monsters rather than questing. Having a friend / friends to play with improves the experience significantly.

L2 is a hardcore MMORPG from 2004 featuring:
    - regulated FFA OWPvP
    - OW dungeons
    - guild vs. guild territorial wars
    - politics + formalized guild alliances
    - castle ownership and sieges
    - rare equipment (every upgrade of any part of the gear is an accomplishment)
    - challenging PVE requiring cooperation (practically impossible to get good gear solo)
    - higher level spells and skills requiring books only available as drops from monsters requiring group to kill
    - OW bosses
    - complex character progression
    - hardly reachable max level - game is not built around endgame
    - extended trinity - tank / healer / dps / buffer / debuffer / mana healer
    - "nice to have" elements distinguishing the game from other mmorpgs (e.g. soulshots / spiritshots)
    - I personally also appreciate that you start looking like a peasant and every higher tier of gear looks better and better. It takes some effort before your character looks decent and it is a nice carrot on a stick if you are into it
    - Subs only and no cash shop (if you decide to play classic server; normal servers are F2P attrocity)

L2 fanboi :)

PS missed the part where you said newer
    You know, out of all the mmo's I have played, I have never hardly looked at L2. Going to research it a bit 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Dont bother with L2...Point and click combat and grind your brains out to max level...Also bots galore
    Dont bother with L2...Point and click combat and grind your brains out to max level...Also bots galore
    Yeah, I saw that right after my last post. But the point that really detered me was it has been accused of p2w. I always steer clear of those. 

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    I recommend this.

- D&D Faerun / Forgotten Realms + Underdark setting
    - genuinely free-to-play (no shops of any kind, no gold bots that can sell something to people for real money)
    - great old school gameplay features and MMORPG features
    - very deep and versatile character customisation
    - immersive experience
    - global storylines and other events initiated by teams of human dungeon masters
    - challenging PvE
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Yanocchi said:
    I recommend this.

- genuinely free-to-play (no shops of any kind, no gold bots that can sell something to people for real money)
    - immersive experience
    - global storylines and other events initiated by teams of human dungeon masters
    - challenging PvE
    I hear you mention NWN a lot is this what your suggesting? how does one get started on this?
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Elevenb4 said:
    List of good high fantasy games? Elves, Dwaves, etc. I generally prefer this type of lore to others, you know the D&D type lore. I've really enjoyed EQ2 on and off over the years, same with WoW. I didn't get into Rift much, animations were a little off for me for some reason. Any other good MMO's like this worth playing? Newer I should say, not LotRO or anything that old if possible. 

I like FFXIV.  They dont have Dwarfs but they do have fantasy characters.  Its also not old and has a good population.  The problem is not everyone likes the slower paced combat.  
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Yanocchi said:
    I recommend this.

- immersive experience
    - challenging PvE
    I actually tried this a while back.

while on one hand it seemed great, I had odd lag issues where my character was never "sure of their place in the world". It would slide all over the place at times.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AshaiaAshaia Member UncommonPosts: 42

I would suggest Bless Online - Ember in the Storm. It Looks quite promising with two fractions and 4 to 5 races on each side. The graphic is based on the Unreal 3 engine. Actually, it is in open beta Phase in Korea and you can also participate as US or European Player with some efforts. It has been announced to appear in Western countries, too. You can check for example the following web pages for more Information:

http://bless.pmang.com/event/2016/0128/index.nwz

http://bless-source.com/

Shrilly said:
    Yanocchi said:
    I recommend this.

- immersive experience
    - challenging PvE
    I hear you mention NWN a lot is this what your suggesting? how does one get started on this?

I decided to make a new thread for it in the LFGame section with some essential information and instructions how to get started.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/448907/baldurs-gate-morpg?new=1

Sovrath said:
    Yanocchi said:
    I recommend this.

- immersive experience
    - challenging PvE
    I actually tried this a while back.

while on one hand it seemed great, I had odd lag issues where my character was never "sure of their place in the world". It would slide all over the place at times.

They have lag issues sometimes, especially when the server is completely full and some dungeon masters are running something big, while another dungeon master is organising another event in another part of the world.

• SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Ashaia said:

I would suggest Bless Online - Ember in the Storm. It Looks quite promising with two fractions and 4 to 5 races on each side. The graphic is based on the Unreal 3 engine. Actually, it is in open beta Phase in Korea and you can also participate as US or European Player with some efforts. It has been announced to appear in Western countries, too. You can check for example the following web pages for more Information:

http://bless.pmang.com/event/2016/0128/index.nwz

http://bless-source.com/

Been playing this game for a while. It is a great game.

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Ive played WoW for 10 years and its a beautiful fantasy game. Cartoony, but still seamless huge world to explore. I am playing Elder Scrolls Online now and that game is very immersive with beautiful graphics. You should give it a shot. All npc's have voice over, the graphics look very good and the game is very immersive. 
    edited April 2016
    funcon said:
    Ive played WoW for 10 years and its a beautiful fantasy game. Cartoony, but still seamless huge world to explore. I am playing Elder Scrolls Online now and that game is very immersive with beautiful graphics. You should give it a shot. All npc's have voice over, the graphics look very good and the game is very immersive. 
    I haven't played ESO since release, and only quit because all my friends ended up jumping ship a week or so later. I might have to give it an honest go. What would be the best class for someone that just likes to solo and explore while leveling?

Elevenb4 said:
    funcon said:
    I haven't played ESO since release, and only quit because all my friends ended up jumping ship a week or so later. I might have to give it an honest go. What would be the best class for someone that just likes to solo and explore while leveling?
    I too quit after about a month after launch, I couldn't get into it, being so used to WoW for so many years it was hard for me. But Iv'e taken a half year break from WoW and since then fired up ESO again and I'm loving it.

I think any class can solo things while lvling. They can all be tanks or healers. Templars are the only class with one class tree dedicated to healing so maybe Templar would be for you? I play a stamina Templar as an Imperial. Majicka Templars right now are OP. They have an ability called Radiant Destruction that is like a execute. Hardest hitting ability in game.
    Also. Races have racials that make them better at certain things. For example: Altmer(High Elves) make the best majicka users due to their racials. There is a website called Deltias Gaming that is helpful in choosing the best race for the best class.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Check out World of Warcraft. See you in 10 years.
  • JermzyJermzy Member UncommonPosts: 211
    DAoC.  Free 2 week trial, so your out nothing but your time if its not your cup of tea.  Lots of lore.....also has elves and dwarves.  :)
    Haroo!
  • IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    If i exclude World of Warcraft the first game that comes in mind when i hear Dwarfs and all kind of Elves is Lineage 2.  
    Yes there are bots, like in every MMORPG.  
    If you play on official server that opened this year which has monthly fee (subscription) you will not face any P2W and you will enjoy the expansion which everybody loved back when Lineage 2 was one of the greatest MMORPGs in the world.  
    Tera Online has High Elves as a race and the lore is decent. No dwarfs, but there's the Popori and Elin or the devil lookin' sexy Castanics. There's few more fantastic races besides the ones i mentioned aswell. f2p, Has challenging pve, great combat mechanics, immersive, customization and alot of skins, low p2w.  Can answer more questions about that game if you have, ask.  
    If you are into single player which this thread is not about but Dragon Age Origins is great RPG with elves and dwarves.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Elevenb4 said:

Final Fantasy XIV believe it or not.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Rock on, thanks all. Given me a lot to check out. I think I'll try ESO first. Tried FFXIV awhile back when ARR came out. O got to lvl 35 or so, but the combat felt really slow to me. Could be that playing a warrior maybe just didn't fit me. I might revisit that one too. 

Thanks for all the suggestions