Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar May Be Shut Down in a Few Months ?

Comments

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Another one bites the dust..............
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Situation is ripe for conjecture. Overall I can't help feeling depressed about the situation.
    I feel for the guys who have lost their jobs and hope they can get back into work real quick.

Additionally there's the fear that every poorly performing mmo makes it harder for companies to justify producing new ones. The fear factor will escalate and perceived safer routes will be taken.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    If they can't pull population numbers I can't see why NCsoft wouldn't drop the game. They have had quite a long time to get people to come back, but they continued to release patches in buggy states really slowly and fixed bugs very late. Also people just didn't have enough patience to learn the content, they tried to cater to the vanilla wow crowd but somehow couldn't. I had a lot of fun with it, I wish it had the population and devs that were able to patch it faster. I would have never left the game.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Honestly this game should be saved and re-worked. If somebody could somehow change the clunky combat they could have a real great game. The game is really well designed and it would be a shame to watch it die.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2016
    Sigh. Nothing new in the article; why - OP - did you bother to link it. 
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I don't understand why they'd have to shutter servers when going into maintenance mode.  That will only hurt their standing with players who will lose trust in them.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    If they can't pull population numbers I can't see why NCsoft wouldn't drop the game. They have had quite a long time to get people to come back, but they continued to release patches in buggy states really slowly and fixed bugs very late. Also people just didn't have enough patience to learn the content, they tried to cater to the vanilla wow crowd but somehow couldn't. I had a lot of fun with it, I wish it had the population and devs that were able to patch it faster. I would have never left the game.
    The core reason why they couldnt cater to the Vanilla WOW crowd is because they did Action combat which is not Vanilla WOW.  They also didnt listen to but a few forum people who wanted 40 mans yet people like myself who lead 40 man MC raids told the Developers of Wildstar that we are never doing 40 man raids gain.  

It also does not help that Wildstar was a big budget MMO.  What they should have done was not do something so cartoony.  Leave the 40 man raids in the past and not try to make happy the Action Combat crowd that honestly would be better in an Action Combat game like Street fighter.  
  • BurntCabbageBurntCabbage Member UncommonPosts: 482
    this was a good game for about a week..then everybody caught on to the bots trying to fill the pvp arenas
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Wish I was immune to rumors but I have been around long enough to know that doom & gloom statements of anon inside sources usually speak the truth.
    As strange as it seems..
    Harbinger of Fools
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited March 2016
    More like Wildstar should have been shut down for a few months already.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Probably.  I enjoyed my time playing that game too, ultimately I think it was the fact that I hated the stat overhaul and the crafting overhaul that I stopped playing.  I don't think I really had any other gripes, the combat was the best in any game I've ever played (though most don't agree with me).
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    edited March 2016
    I don't understand why they'd have to shutter servers when going into maintenance mode.  That will only hurt their standing with players who will lose trust in them.
    It's NCSoft. That very fact means nothing they do will make sense when looked at from a perspective other than that of a company which holds western developers and gamers in contempt. 

On top of that they're basically the EA of Korea. Probably secretly run by Kim Jong-Un, or whatever that fat little toadie is calling himself these days. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Good
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Considering how many they've recently sacked, and how the plans to expand over to Asia got shelved... it wouldn't come as a surprise. That, and it's NCSoft.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    For me the combat kills the game.  I can deal with everything else.  Perhaps other ways to level would work.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    i enjoyed Wildstar pretty much but sadly only for 4-6 weeks. i still love the game somehow but something is missing. maybe the screen is to colorful sometimes and the GFX looks a bit kiddy style.

i am planing on playing the game again before it dissapears .. very sad 

everyone playing mmorpgs should at least try WS one time
  • RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    If NCSoft would like to pick up a good game after they kill WildStar, they could always relaunch CoH/CoX and people would flood back into those servers.  Just saying...

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    It makes no sense to shut the servers down completely.  They have to have enough players to at least keep the game in maintenance mode at this point.  I mean, come on, Age of Conan is one of the most hated games on this site and it's been in maintenance mode with full nightly raids since 2010.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Sad. I'm downloading it again right  now, but this thread makes that seem like a waste of time.

How will the Steam launch (whenever it happens, no date yet AFAIK) affect WS?

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    they spent too much money making the game to just shut it down.  it'll go through another free to play revamp.  the investors want some return on their money.  good luck.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Ratero said:
    If NCSoft would like to pick up a good game after they kill WildStar, they could always relaunch CoH/CoX and people would flood back into those servers.  Just saying...
    Personally i think COH/COV was a much better game than Wildstar anyway, chances are at shut down it still had a larger playerbase than Wildstar currently has.
    Perhaps NCSOFT is in denial about Wildstar, but at this point, it probably doesn't matter if the game is on Steam or not, it might generate a little interest, but i seriously doubt it will generate any revenue.
    But honestly is anyone really surprised at all that Wildstar is going to be shut down?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    We're are talking about a company that shutdown COH though, comparatively speaking that game was doing/did a lot better than WS is.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I really don't think it's as complicated as many elude to here... I think the biggest factor is quite simple.. The IP isn't something people were drawn into. There was no attachment. Without that type of motivation it's hard to get into a game. Especially an RPG.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    d_20 said:
    Sad. I'm downloading it again right  now, but this thread makes that seem like a waste of time.

How will the Steam launch (whenever it happens, no date yet AFAIK) affect WS?
    I'm predicting there will be a boost in player numbers similar to that experienced near the beginning of their adoption of the free to play model, but will ultimately retain very few of them, if any. The game just isn't that good, and Carbine burned their bridges by mocking the very community (casual players) they're now hoping will arrive and save them from oblivion. They get no sympathy from me. Well okay, the higher ups don't. The rank and file dev teams and support staff do; it's not their fault their bosses are buffoons. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    i am downloading the game to see why it is dying for myself, but in general even 3rd class asian mmos are surviving, it is very secure market and you dont hear closer of an mmo often actually it is kind of rare for an mmo to die for past 5 years.
    but yes it is shame if ncsoft simply pull the plug rather than trying to solve the game problems even if they have to take down the game and do some rework on it like FFXIV.