Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nostalrius Servers Issued Court Order to Close Shop

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:
    Why? People do realize this was a voluntary project right and no profits were being made of this?

Even so, are we honestly going to say blizz, a multi million dollar company was upset over a tiny private server?

Someone said would I care if I was blizz? Fuck no, why would I? The only time It would cross my mind is if I knew I was doing a utter shit job and someone was doing it better than me.

When people cheer and jump up an down to these kinds of things when it has no effect on them what so ever, it tends to be out of fear or desperation.

So I feel there is a lot more to this than meets the eye imho

It is both a legal issue and a matter of principle. These administrators neither own the intellectual property rights to World of Warcraft nor did they expend the effort to create the game, both of which require copious amounts of money to do and something Blizzard did. Legally, they have every right to shut down that server and any other for what amounts to theft.

Put another way: Let's say you wrote a best-selling novel that made millions and then made revisions that some people did not like. If those upset people took your book, a thing created with your blood, sweat and tears, and made copies to sell to all other disaffected people, would you not be upset? I would. My creation, my right to sell and profit from it.

While these folks may not "profit" from their activities, I'll bet there's a prominent "donate" button to keep the servers running. While not profit in their pockets, it amounts to the same thing since without the donations, they could not keep things going.

Lastly, the "offer" to give server information to "anyone who wants to make their own private server speaks to their high and mighty ideals, doesn't it?
    Let's say you invested millions or billions inventing a medical device that improves the quality of millions of lives. Or a popular consumer product that makes your life easier and more enjoyable. Products you actually have to purchase raw materials for and manufacture, where you have to risk money to produce them period. 

In the U.S. you would have 20 years of protection before others can knock off your product.  Your intellectual property has an expiry date.

Why should the games industry be treated differently? Why is their intellectual property protected perpetually?

Your Government is being strongly lobbied to change the laws concerning pharmaceutical patents. The pharmaceutical companies want their intellectual property to be protected perpetually just like the games industry. Their arguments sound just as legitimate as yours.

It would be a sad sad day for the every day working stiff, if that ever comes to pass.      
    The idea they can take your exact product they cannot.  They would have to take the time to actually MAKE the product not just take the other companies product and slap their label on it.  In this case they are not even changing the label.  Your example is wrong stop using it.
    Oh Really?

So I can manufacture a boardgame called Monopoly and sell it can I?

that is where your stupid patent thing comes in.  Monopoly, Blizzards code, the medical equipment they have copyrights to the actual product.  You can make a game based on the idea of Monopoly, Wow used Game Workshop's ideas, and you could make a medical equipment based off the idea....but 20 year thing is not right.  Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.  No one can take your product and just distribute it as their own under the law.
    Sorry your wrong.

You can't copyright an invention and an invention is an intellectual property just like a game or a book.

Anyone can knock off my invention after my patent has expired. You just can't use my name or Trademarks. Just like after a pharmaceutical patent expires, a generic knockoff will be able to enter the market and again names and Trademarks will apply other than that it can be a complete copy.

I am also wrong on in that a copyright is not perpetual. It is in effect for the author's life plus 50-100 years. Copyrights legislation is also under review as we speak, mainly due to software and electronic media

Things start getting blurry. Software products don't necessarily equate to requiring artistic protections. A copy of SolidWorks or Simply Accounting is closer to a tool or a widget than a "Lord of the Rings"

I am also debating the industries as a whole and not Blizzard in particular. Characters, Stories etc. etc. absolutely merit artistic protections. 

Coke is an invention that is copyrighted..the chemical makeup of cokes chemicals is patented...the chemicals in certain percentages in a coke can is protected from people just taking that coke can and repackaging it.  Same as is the code in Blizzard's games.  The actual game is copyrighted or if you think I am wrong go and start a server.
    Distopia said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:
    Why? People do realize this was a voluntary project right and no profits were being made of this?

Even so, are we honestly going to say blizz, a multi million dollar company was upset over a tiny private server?

Someone said would I care if I was blizz? Fuck no, why would I? The only time It would cross my mind is if I knew I was doing a utter shit job and someone was doing it better than me.

When people cheer and jump up an down to these kinds of things when it has no effect on them what so ever, it tends to be out of fear or desperation.

It is both a legal issue and a matter of principle. These administrators neither own the intellectual property rights to World of Warcraft nor did they expend the effort to create the game, both of which require copious amounts of money to do and something Blizzard did. Legally, they have every right to shut down that server and any other for what amounts to theft.

Put another way: Let's say you wrote a best-selling novel that made millions and then made revisions that some people did not like. If those upset people took your book, a thing created with your blood, sweat and tears, and made copies to sell to all other disaffected people, would you not be upset? I would. My creation, my right to sell and profit from it.

While these folks may not "profit" from their activities, I'll bet there's a prominent "donate" button to keep the servers running. While not profit in their pockets, it amounts to the same thing since without the donations, they could not keep things going.

Lastly, the "offer" to give server information to "anyone who wants to make their own private server speaks to their high and mighty ideals, doesn't it?
    Let's say you invested millions or billions inventing a medical device that improves the quality of millions of lives. Or a popular consumer product that makes your life easier and more enjoyable. Products you actually have to purchase raw materials for and manufacture, where you have to risk money to produce them period. 

In the U.S. you would have 20 years of protection before others can knock off your product.  Your intellectual property has an expiry date.

Why should the games industry be treated differently? Why is their intellectual property protected perpetually?

Your Government is being strongly lobbied to change the laws concerning pharmaceutical patents. The pharmaceutical companies want their intellectual property to be protected perpetually just like the games industry. Their arguments sound just as legitimate as yours.

It would be a sad sad day for the every day working stiff, if that ever comes to pass.      
    The idea they can take your exact product they cannot.  They would have to take the time to actually MAKE the product not just take the other companies product and slap their label on it.  In this case they are not even changing the label.  Your example is wrong stop using it.
    Oh Really?

I think it's safe to say Monopoly has a monopoly on the game Monopoly :).

Nope The Landlords Game
    danwest58 said:
    This is IP theft but there is a good amount of players that want to play in the Vanilla WOW TBC WOW time period.  If Blizzard did offer these servers to me I would come back even if the Subscription was $20 to $30 a month.  Even if it is 1% to 10% of their population that end up coming back I bet you that Blizzard will make a good money stream off these classic servers.  

The problem is Blizzard is loosen so much money because no one except a group of people who do not like MMOS want to play WOW right now. I want an MMO that pushes me to group and makes Dungeons an affair where I need to schedule it with friends OR socially interact with people.  Cross Realm Automated group files killed social interaction and allowed a lot of garbage into MMOs.  The GO GO GO GO ME ME ME bunch love it while hurting large amounts of players.  Just look at how many players quit WOW.

Problem is Blizzard is just stupid because they are run by people who think more accessibility equals more subscribers which equals more money.  Yet they have that now and are loosen money.   

how exactly are they losing money?
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Horusra said:
    danwest58 said:
    This is IP theft but there is a good amount of players that want to play in the Vanilla WOW TBC WOW time period.  If Blizzard did offer these servers to me I would come back even if the Subscription was $20 to $30 a month.  Even if it is 1% to 10% of their population that end up coming back I bet you that Blizzard will make a good money stream off these classic servers.  

The problem is Blizzard is loosen so much money because no one except a group of people who do not like MMOS want to play WOW right now. I want an MMO that pushes me to group and makes Dungeons an affair where I need to schedule it with friends OR socially interact with people.  Cross Realm Automated group files killed social interaction and allowed a lot of garbage into MMOs.  The GO GO GO GO ME ME ME bunch love it while hurting large amounts of players.  Just look at how many players quit WOW.

Problem is Blizzard is just stupid because they are run by people who think more accessibility equals more subscribers which equals more money.  Yet they have that now and are loosen money.   

They're losing possible subscribers (people like him who would subscribe if vanilla servers were available) therefore it is easily theorized they're losing possible income by not offering said services.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:

Oh Really?

that is where your stupid patent thing comes in.  Monopoly, Blizzards code, the medical equipment they have copyrights to the actual product.  You can make a game based on the idea of Monopoly, Wow used Game Workshop's ideas, and you could make a medical equipment based off the idea....but 20 year thing is not right.  Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.  No one can take your product and just distribute it as their own under the law.
    Sorry your wrong.

You can't copyright an invention and an invention is an intellectual property just like a game or a book.

Anyone can knock off my invention after my patent has expired. You just can't use my name or Trademarks. Just like after a pharmaceutical patent expires, a generic knockoff will be able to enter the market and again names and Trademarks will apply other than that it can be a complete copy.

I am also wrong on in that a copyright is not perpetual. It is in effect for the author's life plus 50-100 years. Copyrights legislation is also under review as we speak, mainly due to software and electronic media

Things start getting blurry. Software products don't necessarily equate to requiring artistic protections. A copy of SolidWorks or Simply Accounting is closer to a tool or a widget than a "Lord of the Rings"

I am also debating the industries as a whole and not Blizzard in particular. Characters, Stories etc. etc. absolutely merit artistic protections. 

Coke is an invention that is copyrighted..the chemical makeup of cokes chemicals is patented...the chemicals in certain percentages in a coke can is protected from people just taking that coke can and repackaging it.  Same as is the code in Blizzard's games.  The actual game is copyrighted or if you think I am wrong go and start a server.
    Sorry

Coke and Coca-cola are Trademarks. The original formula was "Patented" in 1893 and has long since expired. Coca-Cola has changed there formula over time and have decided to not Patent the new formulas, instead they have decided to keep it a secret, because if they Patent they have to reveal the secret formula and after the Patent expires anyone may copy it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:

Oh Really?

Sorry your wrong.

Sorry

Coke and Coca-cola are Trademarks. The original formula was "Patented" in 1893 and has long since expired. Coca-Cola has changed there formula over time and have decided to not Patent the new formulas, instead they have decided to keep it a secret, because if they Patent they have to reveal the secret formula and after the Patent expires anyone may copy it.

copyrights and trademarks are the same thing...one covers literary and artistic works and the other physical items that define a company...say like Blizzards games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:

Oh Really?

Sorry your wrong.

Sorry

copyrights and trademarks are the same thing...one covers literary and artistic works and the other physical items that define a company...say like Blizzards games.
    http://zvulony.ca/2010/articles/intellectual-property-law/understanding-intellectual-property-law/

laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    SBFord said:
    Herase said:

Oh Really?

Sorry your wrong.

Sorry

http://zvulony.ca/2010/articles/intellectual-property-law/understanding-intellectual-property-law/

think you for proving me right.  "Copyright is the right to reproduce a work. The owner of the copyright in an original work, performance, or recording has the exclusive right to copy it, to decide how it will be published and distributed, to keep it from being modified against his or her wishes, and to profit from it."

The actual game World of Warcraft is protected...and copyrights can be extended.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Copyright and trademark are "pretty much the same" in the sense neither is as a Clydesdale or a snorkel, but in legal terms, they're completely different protections. The former gives license to who may duplicate an item or likeness. The latter is a representative symbol or name of an ip or "brand", which is protected to preserve the integrity of an entity name or identity.
    edited April 2016
    Adjuvant1 said:
    Copyright and trademark are "pretty much the same" in the sense neither is as a Clydesdale or a snorkel, but in legal terms, they're completely different protections. The former gives license to who may duplicate an item or likeness. The latter is a representative symbol or name of an ip or "brand", which is protected to preserve the integrity of an entity name or identity.

not different "protections" just different in what they protect.  Both stop unauthorized use of items.

The Difference Between Copyright and Trademark. While both offer intellectual property protection, they protect different types of assets. Copyright is geared toward literary and artistic works, such as books and videos. A trademark protects items that help define a company brand, such as its logo.
    @Horusra ;

Proving you right?

My argument was and is that many of the copyright laws are antiquated and Bullshit. That "some" of these laws and regulations need to be changed and modernized to more coincide and be more equal to a manufactured consumer product. Because basically that's what many of these products are.

What have you proved?

laserit said:
    @Horusra ;

Proving you right?

My argument was and is that many of the copyright laws are antiquated and Bullshit. That "some" of these laws and regulations need to be changed and modernized to more coincide and be more equal to a manufactured consumer product. Because basically that's what many of these products are.

What have you proved?

this argument started over was World of Warcraft a patent or a copyright.  As to your thoughts on copyright law since it is opinion I disagree...I could agree if a product line was not in production or use that those copyrights should be easier to overcome.
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    @Horusra ;

Proving you right?

What have you proved?

this argument started over was World of Warcraft a patent or a copyright.  As to your thoughts on copyright law since it is opinion I disagree...I could agree if a product line was not in production or use that those copyrights should be easier to overcome.
    Sorry respectfully you're mistaken

This exchange started with me stating that I thought that it was bullshit that a copyright lasted perpetually while a patent only lasted for only 20 years. That they are both intellectual properties. I was actually in error with perpetual as it's the author's lifetime + 50-100 years. But still why is an Artist's investment and creation given such a value over an inventor's investment and creation?

I believe a copyright lasts for far too long.

This is debate and of course it's opinion.

laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    @Horusra ;

Proving you right?

What have you proved?

This exchange started with me stating that I thought that it was bullshit that a copyright lasted perpetually while a patent only lasted for only 20 years. That they are both intellectual properties. I was actually in error with perpetual as it's the author's lifetime + 50-100 years. But still why is an Artist's investment and creation given such a value over an inventor's investment and creation?

copyright does have to be reapplied for.  About the only thing I could see is adding in a clause where the item has to be shown to still be actively used or no copyright.  Not sure if something like that exists already.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Horusra said:
    danwest58 said:

If at one time you had 11.5 Million Subs and today you have only 5.4 Million Subs you make a lot less money than you did when you had 11.5 Million Subs.  So that is how they are loosen money.  By people not subscribing.  

Torval said:
    Varking said:
    I dunno guys... maybe Blizzard plans on adding time locked vanilla style servers so this is the start? None of us know what is going on behind the scenes.
    I don't see blizzard purposely splitting up their subscriber base like that. The people who want to play current WoW will lose ALOT of people to play with, the bitching and unsubs will commence with a fury. Every time locked server would have a small community who would probably start bitching for "improvements" to fit their rose colored vision of their favorite xpac.
    Not sure about that. EQ2 does just fine doing it. In fact I had guildies come back to play EQ2 just because of the TLE
    Sorry Blue, I have to disagree with you this time. I see it just like Shivinski paints it. On EQ they've been a very mild success. For EQ2 they've nearly been a failure.
    • They've closed down one of the two EQ2 servers.
    • The TLE community is constantly asks for special features, updates, and exceptions.
    • They have to split their resources between TLE and Live. They're managing two different xpac updates now. They have two different balance sets to maintain and two different bug chains.
    • This has split the community not only in resource requests, but as a whole. The TLE community on the forums constantly makes comments about how shit the Live game is while still requesting features like Chrono Mage, Channeler, Beast Master, and holiday events that aren't part of the current expansion. It's understandable that players posture for their favorite, but I think it illustrates how it has created another rift in the community.
    I don't think DBG really thought this through all the way, or if they did they ignored the problems for the short term revenue gains they made. Based on the server status indicator that pve TLE server has gone from constantly full to usually medium or medium low. It sometimes hits medium high, but it seems like a good chunk of players have either gone back to live or just stopped playing period.

@Torval

I agree DMG is not Blizzard which is kind of my point. If DBG can create a service similar to what these people say they want from WOW then Blizzard of all companies could make it happen and make it work. Look at what  Blizzard does and has created a business doing. Taking an idea created by someone else and recreating it in their own image with their unique spin and polish on it. A vanilla server or two for WOW could be done by a Blizzard because they have the resources and labor to do it. Plus with EQ2 you do not see popular private servers popup and DMG call for them to be shut down. Perhaps EQ2 classic was perceived as a bigger need than was there. With WOW that has proven to not be the case. There is a need for servers that bring back the Vanilla WOW experience. As is evident by all the private servers for WOW all around the world.
    Lets throw another log on the fire here.  I have not played on a Vanilla WOW server, however I have seen a Vanilla WOW server with 15K players online at 1 time.  Thats just 1 server.  I seen others with 2K to 10K online.  So there is a large desire for these servers.

Add to that a person like me would be willing to throw a little extra money for a Vanilla WOW or TBC WOW server.  AND YES I would also if spending $5 extra a month would want some development to be done on these servers.  If the money is there and if blizzard is making a profit off of these servers then what is the problem.

Also the EQ2 community was never as large as the Vanilla WOW or TBC WOW community ever was.  So there is a larger pool of players who would play on these servers.  
    Torval said:
    Horusra said:
    laserit said:
    Horusra said:
    copyright does have to be reapplied for.  About the only thing I could see is adding in a clause where the item has to be shown to still be actively used or no copyright.  Not sure if something like that exists already.
    This is about more than copyright infringement though. It is about trademark as well, which doesn't expire. They are misusing the WoW trademarks along with copyright infringement. Even if someone could make an argument for the copyright, I don't think they could for the trademarks.

as applies to WoW the private servers are wrong all around.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    The second you ask these people clamouring for a vanilla WoW server for a sub they will amazingly evaporate and fade into the woodwork.

kitarad said:
    The second you ask these people clamouring for a vanilla WoW server for a sub they will amazingly evaporate and fade into the woodwork.
    I hate to say it but you are wrong.  I am not playing on a  Vanilla WOW server yet I will gladly pay $20 to $30 a month for one, also I have friends that would gladly sub back to WOW For a Vanilla Server.  The PROBLEM is knowing how many people would be willing to go for it without getting a Vanilla server up and running.  Do I think some people wouldnt be willing to pay for it, sure but will there be no one that would be paying?  There you are wrong.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    danwest58 said:
    kitarad said:
    I hate to say it but you are wrong.  I am not playing on a  Vanilla WOW server yet I will gladly pay $20 to $30 a month for one, also I have friends that would gladly sub back to WOW For a Vanilla Server.  The PROBLEM is knowing how many people would be willing to go for it without getting a Vanilla server up and running.  Do I think some people wouldnt be willing to pay for it, sure but will there be no one that would be paying?  There you are wrong.
    Agree, hell I bet there are many players who played on that vanilla server who have active wow subscriptions or would of had them. I've played on a private server for vanilla myself back while having an active subscription for cataclysm having nostalgia for the game. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited April 2016
    The complaint I often came across in Everquest was that these classic server required a subscription. I did not say everyone would not pay. Not absolutes but the number you see on these illegal servers are nowhere close to the numbers that will actually pay.

The reason I say this is simple just look at the games that require a subscription and watch how they struggle. There is resistance even among people who want this type of experience. It's a disease.

Torval said:
    Acti-Blizz isn't losing money. They're not generating the revenue they once did. There is valid speculation that it would increase their revenue. There is valid speculation that it would damage the IP further in the long run. I think the latter is happening at DBG now.

That is all irrelevant to the central argument or attempts at justifying third party private servers. The IP belongs to Acti-Blizz. They have every right to do what they want with it. The only thing they are beholden to are their shareholders. If the shareholder believe that a better long term strategy for the game deployment would garner higher revenue then they could be taken to task over that. However, that hasn't been the case. It's very likely the board of directors has explained the long term strategy and associated risks and they are choosing this path for a reason. Disagreeing with that or wanting a different arrangment doesn't entitle people to steal, profit, and use the IP to their benefit.
    Troval,

You think they are not loosen money I hate to tell you this but today if Blizzard announced that a there is going to be a Vanilla WOW server I have at least 2 dozen friends that will come back.  The people on these private servers would likely come back too especially if you force them to shut down.  

The problem is everyone is acting as a few servers for Blizzard would be a massive undertaking.  Yet there is very good emulator software for spinning up classic servers.  Now will they be as tuned as old servers?  Likely not BUT lets say Blizzard gets 250K subs for just a single classic server, you will make enough money to manage a few classic servers and do all the work needed to be done to keep them running.  When you see 15K players online at one time on a vanilla WOW Server you know that there is a market out there.  

I agree stealing the IP is wrong but in the end these people dont make any money off of these private servers.  They are doing it for the love of the game.  

Now lets flip this around Stockholders own stock in blizzard to make money this is why all gaming has gone down hill in the last 10 years.  Because everyone is trying to make big bucks off of what is not a big dollar market for speculation.  You can make good money in the gaming industry BUT you cannot throw money at a game and expect it to make money history has proven this.  But you can make a game that the gamers want to play and make Billions of dollars a year off the game.  AKA WOW.    
    danwest58 said:
    Torval said:
    Acti-Blizz isn't losing money. They're not generating the revenue they once did. There is valid speculation that it would increase their revenue. There is valid speculation that it would damage the IP further in the long run. I think the latter is happening at DBG now.

That is all irrelevant to the central argument or attempts at justifying third party private servers. The IP belongs to Acti-Blizz. They have every right to do what they want with it. The only thing they are beholden to are their shareholders. If the shareholder believe that a better long term strategy for the game deployment would garner higher revenue then they could be taken to task over that. However, that hasn't been the case. It's very likely the board of directors has explained the long term strategy and associated risks and they are choosing this path for a reason. Disagreeing with that or wanting a different arrangment doesn't entitle people to steal, profit, and use the IP to their benefit.
    Troval,

You think they are not loosen money I hate to tell you this but today if Blizzard announced that a there is going to be a Vanilla WOW server I have at least 2 dozen friends that will come back.  The people on these private servers would likely come back too especially if you force them to shut down.  

The problem is everyone is acting as a few servers for Blizzard would be a massive undertaking.  Yet there is very good emulator software for spinning up classic servers.  Now will they be as tuned as old servers?  Likely not BUT lets say Blizzard gets 250K subs for just a single classic server, you will make enough money to manage a few classic servers and do all the work needed to be done to keep them running.  When you see 15K players online at one time on a vanilla WOW Server you know that there is a market out there.  

I agree stealing the IP is wrong but in the end these people dont make any money off of these private servers.  They are doing it for the love of the game.  

Now lets flip this around Stockholders own stock in blizzard to make money this is why all gaming has gone down hill in the last 10 years.  Because everyone is trying to make big bucks off of what is not a big dollar market for speculation.  You can make good money in the gaming industry BUT you cannot throw money at a game and expect it to make money history has proven this.  But you can make a game that the gamers want to play and make Billions of dollars a year off the game.  AKA WOW.    

when you say they are "losing money" that in business terms means they are not making a profit and I think that is what people keep seeing when you type that.
    kitarad said:
    The complaint I often came across in Everquest was that these classic server required a subscription. I did not say everyone would not pay. Not absolutes but the number you see on these illegal servers are nowhere close to the numbers that will actually pay.

The reason I say this is simple just look at the games that require a subscription and watch how they struggle. There is resistance even among people who want this type of experience. It's a disease.
    @kitarad ;

You can say all you want look at games with require a subscription and watch how the struggle.  That not even a valid point because you are not even digging into why these games are struggling.  First they struggle because they are just WOW in a new skin.  SWTOR, RIFT, DDO, LOTRO, FFXIV, all are WOW in a different skin.  Second all expect FFXIV 2.0/3.0 had spent millions of dollars on development cost and never made that money back.  Blizzard is not in those shoes where they have to spend hundreds of Millions to develop a classic server, maybe a million or 2 if that.  Just these 2 points alone invalidate your subscription comment at all.  

Lets add to that.  Everquest 2 peaked at 500K Subs during classic?  Vanilla WOW had 5 or 6 Million Subs?  TBC Peaked at 11.5 Million Subs?  You are comparing apples to Watermelons.  Like I said I dont play on Private servers, yet I would pay for a Blizzard classic and I have at least 2 dozen friends who will who do not play on classic servers.