Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nostalrius Servers Issued Court Order to Close Shop

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageNostalrius Servers Issued Court Order to Close Shop

Blizzard's international law firms have sent notification to OVH, a local French server host, and to those who administrate Nostalrius, a World of Warcraft private server, that documents are being prepared for legal proceedings if the server is not shut down. As a result, the administrators of the private server have informed their players that Nostalrius Begins PvP, Nostalrius Begins PvE & Nostalrius TBC will all be shuttered on April 10th.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    This shows how much desire there is to play vanilla WoW.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Hope they get sued and anyone touching the code gets sued. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Noooooooo. . I just found out about it!   Oh well. . no time invested at least and not a surprise.  I think also that it is not cool given that the game is still live.  The only way to play decent vanilla though and I did find that I liked that experience a lot more than the current game even though I thought it was just rose coloured glasses.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Nostalrius isn't the only vanilla option. A couple of good alternatives exist.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I dont understand why game companies do not offer this as an alternative...  I'm with Blizzard taking action against people who try and profit from their IP's but I would think they would see the opportunity here.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Nostalrius isn't the only vanilla option. A couple of good alternatives exist.
    Meh.  There is no other really good alternatives.  The population was insane.  Almost a MILLION accounts made.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2016
    Zarriya said:
    Not really. Private servers dont have enough player capacity to maintain a paid service running. Meaning, WoW has millions of paying players whilea private server has like 1k-5k free people? If Official WoW had that many people (even paying) it would shutdown so fast we never see it coming.

What this(private servers of existing games) does show is that a number of people dont want to pay for games.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    this is why i cant be bothered with private servers.. even though i prefer the vanilla/bc era to the current version of WoW.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Zarriya said:

Not really. Private servers dont have enough player capacity to maintain a paid service running. Meaning, WoW has millions of paying players whilea private server has like 1k-5k free people? If Official WoW had that many people (even paying) it would shutdown so fast we never see it coming.

What this(private servers of existing games) does show is that a number of people dont want to pay for games.

actually, the people playing on the server would gladly pay blizzard to play on a vanilla server. Blizzard not making vanilla servers to capitalize on these people, sends them looking elsewhere. Easy fix. Give servers. Profit. Profit may not be that much, but hell it will save them the legal fees of all the Cease and desist orders they have to put out to shut these servers down.

• fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    What bothers me the most about this is that I read comments on the official forums about how people are happy that it's shutting down. Stuff like "Good riddance" and "Glad blizz is finally doing something about this". LIKE WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU. Why would you be happy that people are having something they enjoy taken away. It's just an old version of the game. It has no effect on you! I don't understand this mentality and honestly it makes me feel very uneasy. I don't think I want to play blizzard games again because of people like that.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited April 2016
    naami said:
    What bothers me the most about this is that I read comments on the official forums about how people are happy that it's shutting down. Stuff like "Good riddance" and "Glad blizz is finally doing something about this". LIKE WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU. Why would you be happy that people are having something they enjoy taken away. It's just an old version of the game. It has no effect on you! I don't understand this mentality and honestly it makes me feel very uneasy. I don't think I want to play blizzard games again because of people like that.
    To play devil's advocate did you ever think they don't want to play with people like you who don't respect another's work  as well as their rights to completely control what they have wrought with their own effort and funds?

That a group who capitalizes on the work of another without permission "just because they can" might make them feel just as disgusted/uneasy? And maybe they are exclaiming "wtf is wrong with you!?!?!"
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Horusra said:
    Why do you wish ill on someone for something as innocuous as a private server of the 10 yr old version of the game. Unreal.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited April 2016
    naami said:
    Horusra said:
    Why do you wish ill on someone for something as innocuous as a private server of the 10 yr old version of the game. Unreal.
    there stealing , and they are stealing money right out of the pockets of Activision/Blizz shareholders which i happen to be one .. and Blizz has to answer for that ...
    naami said:
    Horusra said:

it is not wishing ill.  It is wishing legal justice on people appropriating other people's property without permission.  People get what they get when they break the laws.  If they want to petition Blizzard to allow it and get permission more power to them.  Unlike you it seems I believe in protecting people intellectual as well as physical property.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Vanilla coming to a battle.net near you, for an extra $1.99 on top of your sub, you can play on vanilla servers. Just wait, it's coming and it will be more secure as well.
  • bbates024bbates024 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    edited April 2016
    Seems like a waste of time for Blizzard to send out order to private servers, there are hundreds of them. I guess this one was to well done and too big for them to ignore. Anyways Blizzard has the right to stop if they want, but maybe they will chose to go in a different direction like EQ2 and release a new server where you can play through the expansions from the beginning.

I still wish games that went defunct could be released privately like WAR, or maybe some dev's would create interesting servers with Double or whatever exp, and less geargrind.
    Scorchien said:
    naami said:
    Horusra said:
    there stealing , and they are stealing money right out of the pockets of Activision/Blizz shareholders which i happen to be one .. and Blizz has to answer for that ...
    They do not make money on the server. At least not that we know about. They are all volunteers and also it is  like a totally different product than the current version of WoW. I doubt many people that played this server  exclusively will switch to retail. Anyway, yes it is well within Billzard's rights to shut it down. Not doubting that. But I am upset that people are actually happy and cheering it on like they get some kind of benefit. It doesn't have anything to do with you (not saying you in particular, talking about some comments I read earlier).

Sovrath said:
    naami said:
    To play devil's advocate did you ever think they don't want to play with people like you who don't respect another's work  as well as their rights to completely control what they have wrought with their own effort and funds?

That a group who capitalizes on the work of another without permission "just because they can" might make them feel just as disgusted/uneasy? And maybe they are exclaiming "wtf is wrong with you!?!?!"
    I didn't mean I don't want to play Blizzard games because they shut it down. I meant to say that it would be because of  the players that have that kind of attitude; being they are happy that other people won't be able to play the old version of the game they like. I don't play on any private server anyway. I don't play wow at all actually and haven't in a long time. It just upset me to read those kind of comments. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    They are stealing .. potential customer and falsley representing a product ... let me guess if it was your business and product you would be ok with that ?
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Why they would set this up in a country where the government plays by the rules is beyond me.  You wouldn't host Pirate Bay and KAT in France, so you'd be a moron to place this in France.

Drop it in an ex-soviet bloc country that doesn't give a flying farquad what international laws exist prohibiting such and thing and roll down rodeo with your fingers in the air.
    Scorchien said:
    They are stealing .. potential customer and falsley representing a product ... let me guess if it was your business and product you would be ok with that ?
    I'm not upset that blizzard is taking action. I was upset with people attitudes toward the people like to play on that server (a version of the game that blizzard doesn't offer). And since you asked yes I actually would be ok with that. I would be happy that people actually liked something I made. But that doesn't matter and is besides the point I was trying to make.
    naami said:
    Scorchien said:
    I'm not upset that blizzard is taking action. I was upset with people attitudes toward the people like to play on that server (a version of the game that blizzard doesn't offer). And since you asked yes I actually would be ok with that. I would be happy that people actually liked something I made. But that doesn't matter and is besides the point I was trying to make.

those comments show you have never had a business that you relied on for money to live on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Private Vanilla servers is nothing new. Lots of them have been around for many years, and Blizzard has ignored them all this time. They did not ignore this one, because it has been much more successful than the others, attracting loads of players.