Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Company looks to hire "Photogenic woman" as unpaid community manager

13»

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Perfectly legal to hire people that fit certain "standards".  This in the US has been fought over in the courts.  It is what allows movies to hire only black or white actors to play parts where a white or black person is needed.  It allows Hooters to hire only female waitress that "meet their standards."  It allows businesses to use history (criminal, educational, and professional) as criteria for hiring.  There is no such thing as "equal opportunity of employment for all",  only "equal opportunity of employment for those that meet a standard directly related to the business' image or needs."

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    I'm surprised that this got to three pages, and the dude (Developer?) from SoL who posts on all the SoL threads hasn't appeared yet.
    Gymrat313 said:
    I'm surprised that this got to three pages, and the dude (Developer?) from SoL who posts on all the SoL threads hasn't appeared yet.
    I know, he must be hiding..lol
    Nope, just too busy going through resumes and hanging out with friends in ESO :) 

Horusra said:
    Perfectly legal to hire people that fit certain "standards".  This in the US has been fought over in the courts.  It is what allows movies to hire only black or white actors to play parts where a white or black person is needed.  It allows Hooters to hire only female waitress that "meet their standards."  It allows businesses to use history (criminal, educational, and professional) as criteria for hiring.  There is no such thing as "equal opportunity of employment for all",  only "equal opportunity of employment for those that meet a standard directly related to the business' image or needs."

Ayep!

Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Hey I sent my resume in. Did you get it?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Looks like they edited their post.

Also screenshots of the original over on the Massively discussion.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/04/05/saga-of-lucimia-shines-a-light-on-its-darkness-mechanics/

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Hatefull said:
    Personally I do think it is being oversensitive. 

First, the OP was a selective quote. 
    Second, the job is to work in front of a camera so it is a reasonable thing to have on your tick list. 
    Third, it is unpaid so really it is being targeted at someone who would get something from the position other then job security or cash. Like great experience, exposure, enjoying the process etc...
    Fourth, "everyone has the right to be offended but so fucking what". A great quote I personally love. 
    Ok cool so if you are down with that (I don't get offended btw, but I understand the issue here) it's cool to start using racial slurs then?  If it's cool to start here, where does it end?

Personally I find their "we want to keep being a frat house" attitude more of a concern than the advert for a non- paid position, because when they tank on their loans or however they got money, it's my tax dollars that will go to pay for their indiscretion, because contrary to popular belief, nothing is free.

SO the fact that they can be terrible at business, can objectify females, and advertise we want to be irresponsible, you are good with that.  Cool.

Seriously dude, I have seen quite a few of your posts, you are a hell of a lot smarter than that, I find it hard to believe that you honestly think this is a case of being 'over sensitive'.

Edit:  Before this turns into a back and forth, I really am not that invested in this topic, I have posted more than I should have already, and at the end of the day lets face it, companies like this have a way of self destructing before they get around to doing any real harm.  
    I see it as both of you are right in certain ways.

First, as has been covered:  The "Photogenic" thing means absolutely nothing even remotely close to what the OP was trying to start(which was an obvious flame thread).  Their description hardly objectified women in any way -- other than to say they would like to bring some women in on the project, if possible.

Second:  It's better that they tell the truth about the atmosphere of the company up-front, imho.  I'm sure applicants would rather know before wasting their time that they are going into a vulgar/crude/childish atmosphere, or whatever.  I sure would be unhappy if I thought I were joining a professional business and it turned out to be a frat house behind the doors.

Third:  I also am far more in agreement with Hatefull on the "frat house"  and "sensitive" attitude being of far greater concern.  That whole statement just reeks of being tasteless and unprofessional beyond words.  But, it's been clear for months and months that they aren't overly interested in building a classy image or reputation.
    As far as the PR from it:  Well, they've said they are building a game for themselves, in their spare time, first and foremost, so I'm guessing they don't care all that much.

I don't really care in the slightest, though.  I don't see reason for people to get offended over it.  Just avoid them/don't support them and move on.  If they want to build an unprofessional, immature team to manage, that'll be a regret for their future, not mine.  The backdraft will hit them later should they decide they suddenly want to become something bigger/more profitable than what they are currently aiming for(in other words, turn it into a real for-profit business).

The real question, in my book, is:  Do people prefer companies be honest about their intentions and atmosphere and their unprofessionalism/immaturity to potential applicants?  Or, should they waste people's time by pretending and then slapping them in the face with reality down the road?

I'd certainly prefer to see companies more honest about what to expect if I were considering applying.  And, whether or not I should avoid them as a waste of time.

P.S. Personal rant:  People are way, way, way, way too sensitive about practically everything these days.  Imho, we've reached a stage of society where people keep crying out discrimination and hate so loudly and so often that they are just constantly reviving these issues and self-perpetuating them into the next generation.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Totally disagree. Someone shouldn't have to choose between a job and having to put up with crap like this.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018