Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My problem isn't the game.....

muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

it's the download speed. 

Seriously.  this is the slowest loading mmo I have ever played. 

I play it casually.  it's fun sometimes.  I'm like lvl 27 or something.  and I bought it at launch. 

the reason I don't play more is the download speed.  I haven't played in a week or so.  but,  right now I feel like playing and this 169 mega byte patch is taking (or has taken)  more than an hour. 

and no it's not my internet.  because I can download entire games faster than this.

sorry,

Venting

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    muffins89 said:

it's the download speed. 

Seriously.  this is the slowest loading mmo I have ever played. 

I play it casually.  it's fun sometimes.  I'm like lvl 27 or something.  and I bought it at launch. 

the reason I don't play more is the download speed.  I haven't played in a week or so.  but,  right now I feel like playing and this 169 mega byte patch is taking (or has taken)  more than an hour. 

and no it's not my internet.  because I can download entire games faster than this.

sorry,

Venting

i just reinstalled ESO about two weeks ago on a new HD and I was getting 7-10 megs download speeds and the only time it slowed down was to patch between downloads. This might actually be on your end or the hop to the server farm. Now we can talk about weapon lag for a hour as a different subject though.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    DMKano said:
    If you use wireshark and do a packet capture - and then analyze the location of the public IP that's handling the download -  you'll notice that the origin is not Zenimax but a 3rd party CDN - last time I checked they used Akamai. This is how all game patches are done for all major games - they all use CDNs.

So the issue is with the CDN download speeds - which could be throttled by your ISP for example - this has nothing to do with the game unfortunately as again it's not coming from the location where the game servers are.
    I downloaded WoW, Diablo III, Path of Exile, Guild Wars II, and more in less than half the time it takes ESO to install on my Laptop.  I installed them all from scratch.

It took virtually an entire day and night to install this game.  And it's that way on both Mac and PC, Wired and Wireless Connection, etc.

The download speed for ESO is not the same as other games, even those on Akamai (which PSN also uses, I think? my PS4 game download speeds are not this bad).

This game makes my 100Mbps connection feel like a 56k modem.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I would call your ISP and ask them what they are throttling. 
    edited March 2016
    PSN uses Akamai (IIRC) as well as other games, so the ISP is not the problem.  If the ISP was throttling that, then I'd be getting all sorts of slow downloads from all over the place.

I've downloaded the entire Aion client which is larger than ESO at a 40GB+ download (ESO is 36GB or so) and it was at least twice as fast.  Age of Conan and EQ/EQ2 I've also downloaded recently and it was as fast as the Aion download.  World of Warcraft downloads at the rate of 10-15MB/sec on my connection, and GW2 was over twice the download speed of ESO.

The slow download speeds are specifically an ESO issue.  I can tether to my iPhone over a fast LTE connection and it will still be slow as hell.

Also, on Mac the ESO client seems to throttle its own download speed if it isn't the foreground application.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Darksworm said:
    PSN uses Akamai (IIRC) as well as other games, so the ISP is not the problem.

The slow download speeds are specifically an ESO issue.  I can tether to my iPhone over a fast LTE connection and it will still be slow as hell.

Also, on Mac the ESO client seems to throttle its own download speed if it isn't the foreground application.
    It worked fine for me last week when I downloaded it. So it could be on your end. Try changing the DNS on your computer to googles and see if that makes a difference. It was going 15 mb/s for me. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My problem was the game,i was so turned off by the start i just couldn't take it and logged out for good.
    I guess just like TSW after the first few zones or maps the game likely gets better but when you try to sell me such generic cheap crap from the get go,i lose interest right away.

Time is not on my side anymore,i do not have days/weeks to see if your game gets better,it had better be good from the first minute or i am out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Darksworm said:

It worked fine for me last week when I downloaded it. So it could be on your end. Try changing the DNS on your computer to googles and see if that makes a difference. It was going 15 mb/s for me. 
    No.

It's not my computer.

I'm not here for technical advice, but thanks anyways...

I don't think you were getting 15 MB/s download speed with this game.  Cause I've installed and uninstalled it about 10x and it's nothing like that.

The PS4 client (which comes from PSN) is quite large and downloads fast.

The only time I have issues is when I install it or patch it on PC or Mac.

Unless you meant 15 Mbps, which is about 1.875 MB/s...

That's molasses for a game that is ~40GB Download/Install.
    edited March 2016

Wizardry said:
    My problem was the game,i was so turned off by the start i just couldn't take it and logged out for good.
    I guess just like TSW after the first few zones or maps the game likely gets better but when you try to sell me such generic cheap crap from the get go,i lose interest right away.

Time is not on my side anymore,i do not have days/weeks to see if your game gets better,it had better be good from the first minute or i am out.
    The controls are the biggest thing about the game that turned me off.  Going from Tab Target MMORPGs to this... I just couldn't play it with the way it uses the mouse like an FPS.  I don't play FPS games largely for that reason.  You need an MMORPG mouse with a lot of key binds to make this game comfortable to play if you aren't an FPSer.

I have a Naga and a Tartarus, but honestly I just bought the game on PS4 cause I didn't feel like doing all that work.

I do agree the starter experience is poor.  The game also lets you accept quests above your level and end up in situations you cannot conquer due to absurd level difference between your character and the MOBs. They don't start your character in the actual starter areas.  You have to go there after a few quests.  That seems like an odd, brainless design decision.

I just didn't think the game was fun.  It was very dry and boring to me, so I ended up going back to WoW and forcing myself to go through the whole "gear catchup and get your Legendary Ring" process.  That's over now, so I'm having much fun and leveling up a couple of Alts in preparation for Legion.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Darksworm said:
    Darksworm said:

No.

It's not my computer.

I don't think you were getting 15 MB/s download speed with this game.  Cause I've installed and uninstalled it about 10x and it's nothing like that.

No I mean 15 mb/s, I downloaded it relatively quickly. I get 150 down on my internet so it isn't too bad. I'm just telling you, other people don't have that issue. I'm sure you aren't alone though, so maybe someone else here has the same problem.
    Darksworm said:
    Darksworm said:

No.

It's not my computer.

No I mean 15 mb/s, I downloaded it relatively quickly. I get 150 down on my internet so it isn't too bad. I'm just telling you, other people don't have that issue. I'm sure you aren't alone though, so maybe someone else here has the same problem.
    Wow people here are dense.

My post was a response in agreement to someone else having the issue.

Because it's customary to be a denier about this game, even when the negative feedback has nothing to do with the actual game but just the really crappy speed at which it downloads game data and patches...
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Nanfoodle said:
    I would call your ISP and ask them what they are throttling. 
    Probably throttling his wallet...

• cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197
    I havent played for a few weeks so had to download over a gig of patches.  As usual, it came down at 7MB/s... same as my other games.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Darksworm said:
    I downloaded WoW, Diablo III, Path of Exile, Guild Wars II, and more in less than half the time it takes ESO to install on my Laptop.  I installed them all from scratch.

It took virtually an entire day and night to install this game.  And it's that way on both Mac and PC, Wired and Wireless Connection, etc.

The download speed for ESO is not the same as other games, even those on Akamai (which PSN also uses, I think? my PS4 game download speeds are not this bad).

This game makes my 100Mbps connection feel like a 56k modem.
    I downloaded & installed ESO onto a clean hard drive in less than two hours.  I would follow DMKano's advice and check to see if your ISP is throttling your connection.  Don't think it doesn't happen; a lot of Internet providers throttle anything that has to do with gaming.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    just took me 57 secs to complete the patch right now

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Probably related to data center location.  Same thing happened for a while to me in FFXIV.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    I have to agree with OP. This game has by far the slowest downloading and patches of any MMO I have ever played. The only game I can remember being slower was GTA5. I have a pretty good ISP (Mediacom broadband) so I don't know where the problem lies.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    yes its an odd kettle of fish that one, I usually get 3 - 7 MB/s with ESO updates or fresh installs but I should/could get 25MB/s It is not an issue its done when it is done right?