Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transfers, dev letter (aka the thread Gorwe is looking for :) )

2»

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited January 2016
    Nope, currently (which is not set in stone, I mean they switched for a Jersey-only server move just 2 days before the maintenance :wink: ) the state is:
    no changes for you yet, you can play on Silverlode. Or transfer them characters / items for free to a remaining US server (but not onto a Eu one).
    After 4th April 2016 servers will close down, so you can't access the characters anymore, but still can transfer them off for free (the transfer tool will see them, and will see them forever. At least that's the plan currently, but of course it may change any time, since it's Turbine :wink: ). So, no plans for deleting them.

edit: and if you decide to go back, check this :lol:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594390-Welcome-to-a-Large-Server!
    Post edited by Po_gg on
    Well, seems the 17.2 update fixed some issues, it's less clunky and barely no rubberbanding and such.
    The changes are nice too (here's the list https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?594805-Update-17-2-Release-Notes
    I think it's maybe more news-worthy than a mere companion added in Neverwinter store, right Suzie? :wink: ).

There was a first impression video discussed on forum earlier (this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PqXELxO5LI  - he takes HL's beorning beorning joke :wink: ), where Peon listed slow combat to the cons... I don't think there's a direct connection, but he used a champ for the review, and now one of the changes in the update is that Turbine made champions "... feel less 'clunky' ":lol: 

(and off-topic, but speaking of news-worthy: in TSW the golden week has started today... golem hunting is fun)
    Just dusting off this one for a thread completion, since the transfer "story" reached its end today, the 20 servers listed in Death note were closed and removed from the launcher. Closure was fairly quiet, most folks moved on already, I saw maybe a couple players online tops, before the shutdown.

And we will stay on those servers for a bit more, since transfers are closed too, so we can't grab our stuff and move away :wink: Hopefully they will give the transfer tool back by the time Update18 arrives.
    Farewell, Withy and Snowy and Gilrain...  /wave
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    There's still no EU datacenter for the servers, correct?
    Correct, that was just a ploy / prank / lie (depends on how you interpret it...)
    Both the 5 US and the 5 Eu servers remained are still in Jersey, and will stay there.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Po_gg said:
    Correct, that was just a ploy / prank / lie (depends on how you interpret it...)
    Both the 5 US and the 5 Eu servers remained are still in Jersey, and will stay there.
    Yeah, I thought so.

I was ready to try it again (I have a lifetime sub) - but there's no way I'll bother with those atrocious ping times.

Yes, I know the game is playable with 150-200 ping, but I simply find it unacceptable.

Thanks for info.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Po_gg said:
    It sounds like something happened that they won't tell us about. Perhaps funding got pulled, they overspent, or something.
    edited April 2016
    Athisar said:
    Po_gg said:
    It sounds like something happened that they won't tell us about. Perhaps funding got pulled, they overspent, or something.
    It's not about not telling the reasons, more like the timing, and the lack of communication (but it was discussed already). Sure, plans can change, anything can come up.

The problem is when they're quiet about it for months, keep raising the hopes, keep taking the money, etc. and then at the very last moment (3 days before the actual move) they slip it out, not even officially just within Frelorn's stream dropping a line "...and the servers will move to Jersey".
    Then, for the landslide of questions raised after the stream, no further answers, just days later a PR bullpoo from Vyv about: that's gonna happen, suck it up, we won't discuss this further.

What's worse is that if you see it from the company's side, they managed to get away with it, "thanks" to the total failure of server move. People can be pissed off only once... and after a month, 6 weeks, when they slowly pushed back the performance to bearable levels, the Eu folks either left already, or just accepted the situation and stayed in game.

Turbine calculated it, measured it, decided to hush about it for months (since they knew there won't be an Eu move somewhere around summer already), and killed two f.ck-ups with one sh.tstorm... maybe they even got a bonus for it at the end of the fiscal year.