Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, anything new to pass the time?

RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
  • Project Gorgon is fun, but i consumed all the content there is, three times. And none of my friends wants to come along sadly.
  • Project 99 is fun for a while, but i consumed all the content there is about 20 times about 10 years ago AND another 10+ times now.
  • "Original EQ" moved away from its roots too much for me to enjoy it for longer then a month or two in a row, but i do go back often.

As you can tell,... i am very narrow minded if it comes to my MMOs. I want EQ with pretty grafics, nothing else. I don't need innovation, i just want more of the same. I tried about every big MMO there is and got bored within MINUTES or a few days tops. Always go back to P99 or EQ itself.

Anything else that comes even remotely close?
Hell,.. i checked Black Desert Online, that is how desperate i am for a MMO by now. But no trading at all? Dear god. How solo can a MMO become. 

Really, sick of spending so much money on single player games. They are so much more expensive then any sub MMO ever was while delivering less content ;-)

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• sh33pishsh33pish Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited March 2016
    I feel your pain.  I'm in MMO-limbo too, just waiting for Pantheon to come out.  Thought about going back to EQ for the new no-box progression servers, but I'm with you on the content... I've done it so many times now, it's becoming boring.  

I want everything about old school EQ with updated graphics, animations, systems, and fresh content to delve into.  Looks like Pantheon is on the right track, but what to play until then?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I read all the books in the Game of Thrones series. Time well spent.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Maybe it would behoove you to take a small break from MMOs and try some of the amazing single player RPGs and other games available.  I did this a couple years ago for about 6 months or so and when I came back to my mmo of choice I felt refreshed and excited to play another mmo.  Your mileage might vary, but I imagine it wouldn't hurt to at least try.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    DMKano said:
    OP try Lotro, Age of Conan, Archeage. 

Yes 3 very different games but one might click.

Meh, Ghost town, and no... just... no.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    edited March 2016
    Not into books at all sadly, never have.
    DAoC is a good one, i loved that back then and will check it out again. Also Lotro sounds like a good bet.

Thanks guys. Figured there wasn't much new to try, but stopped following every new MMO a while ago since 99% scream "fail" before even going into alpha, let alone release :(

The bad thing about solo RPGs is the lack of content. Most have about 20-30 ish hours worth of gameplay with very little replay value. Witcher being one of the few that stayed fun for a LOT longer, but games like Witcher are almost as rare as good MMOs. It is indeed easier to find fun solo games then MMOs, indeed. Just not killing much time with that ;-)

Need Pantheon badly. Even just watching the first twitch stream was more fun then i had playing MMOs in the past years. There is hoping they don't change too much from there and i will be set for another 15+ years, just like EQ did for me.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• UruketoUruketo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    • Project Gorgon is fun, but i consumed all the content there is, three times. And none of my friends wants to come along sadly.
    • Project 99 is fun for a while, but i consumed all the content there is about 20 times about 10 years ago AND another 10+ times now.
    • "Original EQ" moved away from its roots too much for me to enjoy it for longer then a month or two in a row, but i do go back often.

As you can tell,... i am very narrow minded if it comes to my MMOs. I want EQ with pretty grafics, nothing else. I don't need innovation, i just want more of the same. I tried about every big MMO there is and got bored within MINUTES or a few days tops. Always go back to P99 or EQ itself.

Anything else that comes even remotely close?
    Hell,.. i checked Black Desert Online, that is how desperate i am for a MMO by now. But no trading at all? Dear god. How solo can a MMO become. 

Really, sick of spending so much money on single player games. They are so much more expensive then any sub MMO ever was while delivering less content ;-)

I would check out Wurm Unlimited on Steam. It is a sanctioned private server system (like P99) of Wurm Online. This way you can avoid toxic jerks. There is a fair amount of private servers to look at with some great communities. Wurm was originally released in 2006 so its got old school graphics and mechanics.

Uruketo, 70 Bard/Ninja/Warrior
    <Grievance> Free Company
    Final Fantasy XIV - Midgardsormr
    http://www.grievancegaming.com/

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Go back and play DAoC. They even just released a new patch. Still a fun game
    In a few months you'll be able to play DAOC the way it was meant to be, circa 2003 right after SI launched and the original frontiers.

That's the only thing which will divert me from EVE, my guild is thinking of playing as "filthy Hibs" this time around.  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Creative pursuit outside of gaming.
    Blondes. Or redheads, if you prefer.
    The "World's Largest List of Hobbies."
    Alcohol. Or other, as you prefer.
    Internet.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    edited April 2016
    Well unfortunately you hit my go to game with Project Gorgon for that kind of old school feel. 

Wurm Unlimited may fit the bill for you.  The biggest problem with the game is the learning curve, simple things like making level ground to build on, and the menus with submenus. 

Didn't notice Uruketo said the same thing till now.
    If I were you, I would not put all my eggs into one basket. You might be in for some serious disappointment if the game does not turn out the way you are picturing it.

As for the actual topic, sadly I have nothing to recommend. I am currently not playing any MMORPGs myself.
    It is the last MMO basket for me. If Brad does not deliver, noone else ever will. At least not in the next 10+ years. Disapointment... yes it would be. But id just keep skipping MMOs, or keep playing EQ. 

Actually that is exactly what i ended up doing: I play EQ again on the latest progression server. And what can i say... all the hater claiming it is nostalgica only are just wrong. The game IS so much fun, even with all the pure old school stuff ;-)

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Just a reminder that discussing private servers is only allowed for games that are no longer running. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Single player games might only have 30-90 hours of game play but in reality mmo's are no better because most of the time you are repeating the same content over and over.
    I have no idea why anyone would want EQ1,terrible AI,single class design,generic layout tiered design 1-10 is the same as 11-20 just different tiers of the same stuff.
    Generic proximity aggro,narrow linear dungeons,mobs crammed in everywhere that you can't move ,just too much needs to be improved in that type of game.
    Also weapon skill has/had no meaning in most every game,it seems we are Always 100% skilled with each and every weapon,we need BETTER gaming not same old same old.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Amana said:
    Just a reminder that discussing private servers is only allowed for games that are no longer running. 
    There is a pretty large thread about certain private warcraft server going  :p
    They've got you there :pleased: 

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Amana said:
    Huh? p99 has express permission from Daybreak to continue running. Why would that be prohibited?
  • DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    OP why not take a little MMO break and playtime of the smaller more casual games? Atlas Reactor goes closed beta tomorrow and you can get in for like 9 beans.

You like turn based fun? Darkest Dungeon or aka Rage Quit Simulator, lol.

Magica Wizard wars pretty fun little casual game too. 

I play EvE but are sort of in a break right now. Was getting a little bored. 

My pass the time gone break list.
    Darkest Dungeon
    Atlas Reactor
    One Finger Death Punch
    Elite:Dangerous
    Civ-V
    I'm real close to buying tabletop simulator and Endless Space too. Both are on sale! 

OP why not take a little MMO break and playtime of the smaller more casual games? Atlas Reactor goes closed beta tomorrow and you can get in for like 9 beans.

You like turn based fun? Darkest Dungeon or aka Rage Quit Simulator, lol.

Magica Wizard wars pretty fun little casual game too. 

I play EvE but are sort of in a break right now. Was getting a little bored. 

My pass the time gone break list.
    Darkest Dungeon
    Atlas Reactor
    One Finger Death Punch
    Elite:Dangerous
    Civ-V
    I'm real close to buying tabletop simulator and Endless Space too. Both are on sale! 
    I have had a several year long break. I don't count all the tested MMOs that i have spend like 3 days in.

Currently back into EQ again. No matter what the haters say: It is NOT nostalgica. Playing on a progression server that is on the very first xpac... i am having a blast. Is it nostalgica if i enjoy it NOW? Ha!

Rhoklaw said:
    Nostalgic or not, if we enjoy it, that is all that matters. However, it is hard to play MMO's by yourself. So I find it to be a hard balance between playing games I love and finding people I enjoy being with who also play those games.
    the Phinigel server is full of people. Never took more then 15 min to get a group as a necro. Friendlist spanning 23 peeps after just two weeks. 

Feels like home.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I'm currently playing ESO, which does not have the same mechanics as EQ, but it is fun in its own rite.  I would really like to be playing CoH, but NCsoft took that option away.  It would probably be what your looking for to pass the time until Pantheon goes into beta; a F2P MMORPG with tab targeting and mouse clicky combat, LOTS of mouse clicky!  There is no auto-attack in that game.  Lots of Lore, good quests, and little trouble finding teams for tough content.

That said, the closest thing you will find to EQ that has really nice graphics is Age of Conan.  You could also give ASTA a go to see if the graphics are good enough.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Going through the entire Demon's/Dark Souls IP right now and holy shit I can believe I didnt try them out sooner. For the longest time my impressions on the game were more of a simplified RPG with a half-assed story but thats only half true. The story does suck but its a way better RPG than most of the ones ive played in a long time and more than makes up for it.

If From Software makes a Dark Souls or inspired MMO (and they dont pull an ESO) I would just send them a signed blank check. If you havent played these yet, do it .... now.
    Kayo83 said:
    Going through the entire Demon's/Dark Souls IP right now and holy shit I can believe I didnt try them out sooner. For the longest time my impressions on the game were more of a simplified RPG with a half-assed story but thats only half true. The story does suck but its a way better RPG than most of the ones ive played in a long time and more than makes up for it.

If From Software makes a Dark Souls or inspired MMO (and they dont pull an ESO) I would just send them a signed blank check. If you havent played these yet, do it .... now.
    Honestly, after watching my best friend spend hundreds of hours on dark souls 1/2/3 and bloodborne, 80% of those hours cursing like an irish sailor.  I can confidently say that the game is quite literally designed by and for sadists.  That is the only logical conclusion.  Nothing, NOTHING about it looked fun.  It literally came across to me as the BDSM of gaming.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Hrimnir said:
    Honestly, after watching my best friend spend hundreds of hours on dark souls 1/2/3 and bloodborne, 80% of those hours cursing like an irish sailor.  I can confidently say that the game is quite literally designed by and for sadists.  That is the only logical conclusion.  Nothing, NOTHING about it looked fun.  It literally came across to me as the BDSM of gaming.
    Ah, its hard to explain, you just gotta try it.

I mean theyre not for everyone but its really not as punishing as it made out to be (at least not yet). Yeah you die a lot but its not like you lose a whole days worth of souls unless you were boldly saving them for some reason. Theyre not even that important. I will say this, I guarantee at least some of those times your friend spent cursing at the the game were from emotional triumphs instead of PTSD inducing defeats.
    Nope.  I've never seen him have anything other than a scowl on his face while playing.  Not once have I seen a smile.  Now, to your credit, he will cuss when he "beats" whatever fight he is pounding his head against, but it's not joyful cussing, it's "that was ****ing bull**** **** ****** ***** *** ********"

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Grim dawn (arpg) has an oldscool wibe like diablo2, if that kind would interest you. They got no servers, but if you can live with that and the grind, an excellent arpg.
    I'll second Grim Dawn.  It's one of the few games out there worth playing IMO.

- Friedrich Nietzsche