Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple Ideas to get SWTOR´s Combat System out of Stoneage >

GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
HUD Auto Targeting instead of Stoneage TAB targeting, AutoTarget doesnt work well in SWTOR....  far to inconvient to target something in groups (look at  Guildwars 2´s new targeting... its awesome )

Global Cooldown > This has to go , it ruins the flow and fun of the whole combat (1s is to much)  or reduce it to 0.2-0.3 sec. The effect of alacrity is to low anyway...  

Delay even for Instant Powers > Theres a hidden delay which ruins the flow of smooth combat. Troopers Grenade or Mercenaries Rockets all share the same boring delay before the power executes. Its not more realistic DEVs, it feels like a combat break.

Basic Attack Keyboard killing Spam, Change to > AUTO HOLD ... Why players have to press their Basic attacks a few thousand  times per day is a myth to me.  Smart players use scripts while honest players click, press press press, click until their mouse/keyboard keys are broken.

Overall while some Logitech, Razor etc etc mouse owners can use Macros to get around the stupid Combat System the rest has to single click every attack.

Playing Melee classes without Macro Script either from the Mouse Software or Autohotkey is simply feeling horrible and inconvient

Stop creating more expansions !

DEV´s modernize your old boring brick like combat system. Make it feel more lightweight and fun. Improve the stiff static animations !

And best if you introduce more different powers for all the Companions. They are all the same ,just their Textures are different.
Give each companion its own unique power that makes it different. better give them 2-3 different powers....

After playing modern mmorpg´s and coming back to SWTOR the game feels like heavy work after work and its anything but relaxing.

Without the latest Star Wars movie this game had no future past this year, be happy the movie appeared Bioware otherwise your servers would be emtpy.

Use the time and upgrade your old boring and inconvient combat system Bioware !

Comments

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    edited April 2016
    Uh...no thanks.

If you want an MMO with a twitch or action based combat system then go play Terra, Guild Wars 2 or ESO. Tab Targeting may be old but I think it works best for MMO's and it works well in SWTOR.
    Post edited by Setzer on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Your ideas are nothing close to what i would do to improve the combat system,yours sounds like you want faster SPAM,the worst idea a game can do is create SPAM combat.
    It suffers from the same thing that all these games are suffering from,lack of FUn exciting MASSIVE ideas that bring players together.

15 years later,thousands fo games later and still FFXI is the ONLY game that has PVE content to suffice to the entire server and that is Besieged,the best content ever in these games.
    We don't really need massive but most content is Raids or pvp and that is it.Thousands of games later and that is all developers can come up with is raids and pvp,,,sad very sad,why even bother to pay a Director/Producer if they can't produce anything?
    We need to see content that brings players together for PVE not cheap ass flag/pvp or lame instance dungeons,content where every player on the server can join if they wanted to.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited March 2016
    I agree about the targetting and noticed it is most apparent for melee classes. Auto target is unreliable and changing settings from target next to target closest, introduces other problems. Manually targetting mobs in groups is very annoying too, for some reason their hitboxes are too big. This is noticable when you try to click a canister next to mobs.

For ranged it is not really an issue because distance is less of an issue.

I also think the global cooldown is silly long. Makes some animations look odd because you can end up standing still for moments, which just looks weird for combat.

Especially melee combat feels very clunky and sometimes downright awkward compared to other MMO's.

For many people the camera rotation can go weird too, even on lowest speed. Making your toon suddenly spin around way faster then the setting should allow.

Map and combat are my main issues with this game. First MMO where I don't feel like continue playing melee.
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    I actually already like SWTOR's combat and prefer it over most "action" combat implementation. The GCD is no problem for me as the animations usually run about the same length and create a very fluid looking combat.

I own a simply 5 button mouse and have no issues with the amount of abilities. I have two full hotbars and another small 4 button hotbar all keybound with one hotbar for vehicles/buffs that I just click.
  • GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Setzer said:
    Uh...no thanks.

If you want an MMO with twitch-based combat then go play Terra, Guild Wars 2 or ESO. Tab Targeting may be old but I think it works best for MMO's and it works well in SWTOR.
    Dont tell me where to go or what to play if i am a Star Wars fan and this is the only game for it, consider that.

If there was a better more modern Star Wars game i would not be the only one that  moves to that.

Instead of bringing more and more content and level cap increases BW could put some resources into modernizing their Combat System to a modern 2016 style game.

I sadly expect nothing but the continuing "LETS MILK THIS COW" strategy......
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    edited April 2016
    Goromhir said:
    Setzer said:
    Uh...no thanks.

If you want an MMO with twitch-based combat then go play Terra, Guild Wars 2 or ESO. Tab Targeting may be old but I think it works best for MMO's and it works well in SWTOR.
    Dont tell me where to go or what to play if i am a Star Wars fan and this is the only game for it, consider that.

If there was a better more modern Star Wars game i would not be the only one that  moves to that.

Instead of bringing more and more content and level cap increases BW could put some resources into modernizing their Combat System to a modern 2016 style game.

don't come here and tell a game to change just to suit you, consider that.  Many do not like your kiddie twitch combat systems that have the depth of Tic-Tac-Toe. 
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Horusra said:
    Goromhir said:
    Setzer said:
    Uh...no thanks.

don't come here and tell a game to change just to suit you, consider that.  Many do not like your kiddie twitch combat systems that have the depth of Tic-Tac-Toe. 
    I agree with both of you. On the one hand I feel like the combat is one of the things that have always kept me from enjoying TOR, but on the other hand I too find tab-combat the best. I do believe TOR needs to change in order to stay relevant but a drastic change such as the one listed by OP is not the way to do it.
  • NoxeronNoxeron Member UncommonPosts: 64
    edited April 2016
    The only change SWTOR could use in my opinion is a graphics overhaul... Their new contents grafic outclasses their old stuff in such a way it doesn't really feel like the same game in my opinion. And a body type that is just in the middle of the four they currently have.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I personally like the combat the way it is.  It isn't suppose to be a twitch based game and I stay away from those most of the time.  GCD are just fine the way they are, they are there to keep people from spamming the same skills over and over.  This is where knowing a rotation and not spamming your keys comes into play.

And the stop with expansions is probably one of the worst ideas I have ever read on these forums.  People like myself play for the story-line, and want more and more expansions, the more the better. 

If are looking for some twitch base PVP game this is not it, and hopefully never will be.
  • VarkingVarking Member UncommonPosts: 542
    Here you go if its twitch based Star Wars you are looking for:

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront
    Horusra said:
    Goromhir said:
    Setzer said:
    Uh...no thanks.

I am sure you would be one of these guys that would write posts here about how nice HUD targeting is once it has been introduced. For now you are just a Fanboy that defends what he likes. The planet wont advance with guys like you jumping up and down at the same spot until the end of days  .. Move on :)

Varking said:
    Here you go if its twitch based Star Wars you are looking for:

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront
    The Grafic, Combat Engine, Story  of this game combined with SWTOR´s mmorpg elements would be it :)

Noxeron said:
    The only change SWTOR could use in my opinion is a graphics overhaul... Their new contents grafic outclasses their old stuff in such a way it doesn't really feel like the same game in my opinion. And a body type that is just in the middle of the four they currently have.
    The textures even in the lastest Expansions are all still pretty Blur and Low Res. Never mind how high you set your Cards AF .. x8 or x16 Textures are still blur and low quality.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Goromhir said:
    HUD Auto Targeting instead of Stoneage TAB targeting, AutoTarget doesnt work well in SWTOR....  far to inconvient to target something in groups (look at  Guildwars 2´s new targeting... its awesome )

Global Cooldown > This has to go , it ruins the flow and fun of the whole combat (1s is to much)  or reduce it to 0.2-0.3 sec. The effect of alacrity is to low anyway...  

Delay even for Instant Powers > Theres a hidden delay which ruins the flow of smooth combat. Troopers Grenade or Mercenaries Rockets all share the same boring delay before the power executes. Its not more realistic DEVs, it feels like a combat break.

Basic Attack Keyboard killing Spam, Change to > AUTO HOLD ... Why players have to press their Basic attacks a few thousand  times per day is a myth to me.  Smart players use scripts while honest players click, press press press, click until their mouse/keyboard keys are broken.

Overall while some Logitech, Razor etc etc mouse owners can use Macros to get around the stupid Combat System the rest has to single click every attack.

Playing Melee classes without Macro Script either from the Mouse Software or Autohotkey is simply feeling horrible and inconvient

Stop creating more expansions !

DEV´s modernize your old boring brick like combat system. Make it feel more lightweight and fun. Improve the stiff static animations !

And best if you introduce more different powers for all the Companions. They are all the same ,just their Textures are different.
    Give each companion its own unique power that makes it different. better give them 2-3 different powers....

After playing modern mmorpg´s and coming back to SWTOR the game feels like heavy work after work and its anything but relaxing.

Without the latest Star Wars movie this game had no future past this year, be happy the movie appeared Bioware otherwise your servers would be emtpy.

Use the time and upgrade your old boring and inconvient combat system Bioware !

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong or bad.  You simply have a different preference.  It is that simple.  As to things from the stone age, wow, you kids really can't deal with things not going your way now can you?

Don't quit your day job...
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Goromhir said:
    Horusra said:
    Goromhir said:
    Setzer said:
    Uh...no thanks.

I am sure you would be one of these guys that would write posts here about how nice HUD targeting is once it has been introduced. For now you are just a Fanboy that defends what he likes. The planet wont advance with guys like you jumping up and down at the same spot until the end of days  .. Move on :)

Twitch is not the future.  It is just the choice of ADHD kids that need flashing lights and constant clicking to make them feel special.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    This is the newest MMO that caters to trinity gamers. So no thanks to your ideas. If you want the overused Twitch combat, then you have tones of options. 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Goromhir said:
    Setzer said:
    Uh...no thanks.

First off they have a good fan base that is happy with the game. Why mess with something that works? Second the chances of them catering to your ideas is next to slim. My guess is if you posted this on the official forums you would be chased off so fast your head would spin. It's the dumbest idea I have heard for this game. So enjoy its combat for what it is, or find another game as many keep suggesting and as I am now. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Daakkon said:
    Horusra said:
    Goromhir said:
    Setzer said:
    Uh...no thanks.

I agree with both of you. On the one hand I feel like the combat is one of the things that have always kept me from enjoying TOR, but on the other hand I too find tab-combat the best. I do believe TOR needs to change in order to stay relevant but a drastic change such as the one listed by OP is not the way to do it.
    Combat is the primary reason I quit SW:TOR, but not for the reasons the OP listed. 

I found the combat in SW:TOR to be extremely shallow and far too easy. Very few inter-group skills, no support classes meant every fight was basically the same - just execute your combat rotation and time your limited number of emergency skills or big buffs. 

The changes listed by the OP would, in my opinion, make the combat even more shallower and remove the tiny amount of skill currently needed. Would just end up a spammy twitchy piece of crap, satisfying for 10 minutes then just boring as hell, no brainpower needed, just a resilient finger. 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    1. Get rid of god awful 1999 tab targeting
    2. Get rid of clicking icon then sitting with your thumb up your ass while combat takes place.
    3. Implement Batman/Shadow of Mordor/Mad Max combat system.
    4. Problem solved
    H0urg1ass said:
    2. Get rid of clicking icon then sitting with your thumb up your ass while combat takes place.
    4. Problem solved
    No thanks.
    Vutar said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    4. Problem solved

So you want to make it like the other failed action fad games that have come out the last few years? What's the point of updating to a failed system?
    Failed?  That's hilarious.  Those games I listed have sold so much that EA wishes they made them.  SWTOR is small beans compared to the box copies those games moved.

In fact, Arkham city ALONE has doubled SWTOR's sales figures between launch and F2P, and then EA went totally dark and silent on sales after that which can only mean piss poor figures.

So sure, this "fad" has failed so hard that dozens of titles are copying one of the best combat systems ever devised.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited April 2016
    Vutar said:

Okay, i'll use your reasoning then. WoW has had more subs than all the action combat games combined. Tab target wins by your reasoning. Next...
    No it hasn't.

EDIT: Oh I get it, single player games don't have subs so WoW wins by default.

Vutar said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    Vutar said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    4. Problem solved

So you want to make it like the other failed action fad games that have come out the last few years? What's the point of updating to a failed system?
    Failed?  That's hilarious.  Those games I listed have sold so much that EA wishes they made them.  SWTOR is small beans compared to the box copies those games moved.

In fact, Arkham city ALONE has doubled SWTOR's sales figures between launch and F2P, and then EA went totally dark and silent on sales after that which can only mean piss poor figures.

So sure, this "fad" has failed so hard that dozens of titles are copying one of the best combat systems ever devised.

Okay, i'll use your reasoning then. WoW has had more subs than all the action combat games combined. Tab target wins by your reasoning. Next...
    "has had" Being the operative words.  Before better combat systems had been invented and people still thought that tab targeting was the bees knees, yes people still used it.  Now that people are seeing there are other options they are bailing from World of Borecraft at record rates.  In fact, we don't even know just how bad it is anymore as they pulled an EA.

Batman Combat is not even remotely related to action combat.  It's "interactive combat".  BDO has action combat and I can't stand it.  Batman combat is interactive and when you swing your sword, they don't just stand there and take it with no reaction whatsoever like in ancient dusty tab targeting games.
    H0urg1ass said:
    Vutar said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    4. Problem solved

But which made more money?
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Horusra said:
    Goromhir said:
    Setzer said:
    Uh...no thanks.

I don't want twitch combat in TOR, but to call it "kiddie" is utterly ridiculous. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson