Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grim Dawn, How did you find out about it.

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
I remember around 6 months ago I saw this title on steam.  It was in beta and I was not sure about it.  Even though the development team had some of the people from Titan Quest.  I did not think much about it.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago.  I had just transferred to a new building at work.  One night on lunch some coworkers and I were discussing video games.  One of the guys I worked with was telling us how incredible Grim Dawn is.  I, being somewhat skeptical did not believe it.  Considering the last time I checked Grim Dawn was in beta.  He talked about Grim Dawn for 3 days in a row.

Well, I decided to check Grim Dawn out.  It was now full release.  I bought it for 20 bucks instead of The Division.  I have not looked back since. This game by far is the most BAD A$$ ARPG I have ever played.  Arpg with a story!  A polished game with a character system that combines Diablo 2, Titan Quest, and Path of Exile into one game.  Really fun classes!! Including the dual ones!

Holy crap BATMAN!  Where have I been to not play this game.  Since I have downloaded, this has been my number one choice of games.  I am completely addicted, satisfied, enthralled!  The best game I have played in a few years!

So, what is your story.  What got you to play this fantastic title?

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Suzie's review on this site!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    very very early backer .... when we only had chp 1:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    A friend of mine told me about it. I'm pretty impressed with the final product. 
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I saw it a few times on sites and ignored it.  Recently I read some good reviews.  Another game I am going to have to try :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Suzie's review on this site!
    Same. Then I Watched a few reviews. Bought it today and played 7 hours straight. So far a very good experience.. Great atmospheare, huge non-linear maps, highly advanced skill and stat system. 
    Looking to be worth every penny.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Read Suzie's review (Well, guess it's to be expected that a lot of people here found the game... well, here). :P  Though I played around with the skill builder first before buying in.  Game ended up being much better than I thought it'd be.
    DMKano said:
    Steam - was an instant purchase as i love arpgs. Played pretty much all of them including lots of really obscure ones.
    have you tried Zombasite , Kano ... really fun ARPG with a some new mechaincs... Love Soldak , one of my favoriet indie devs

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I heard about it on these forums, looks like a great game -want to pick it up at some point.
    edited April 2016
    DMKano said:
    Steam - was an instant purchase as i love arpgs. Played pretty much all of them including lots of really obscure ones.

Grim Dawn is amazing until end game gearing kicks in. Thats when i stopped playing. Try finding heavy caster armor with specific caster stats - 100s of hours for a single upgrade...yeah, no.
    they have upped some drop rates the last 2 updates , maybe time to fire it up..Ohh and Steam achievments btw

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    have you tried Zombasite , Kano ... really fun ARPG with a some new mechaincs... Love Soldak , one of my favoriet indie devs
    Nope i havent but ive heard nothing but good things about it. I guess i know what ill be doing tonight.....
    Here is a Demo to Zombasite:

http://www.soldak.com/Zombasite/Demo.html

Thanks, but no thanks.  Besides the shameless thread hijacking.  Where your game could be discussed elsewhere.  I am not interested in another zombie apocalypse game.  They really are getting old!
    edited April 2016
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:

Grim Dawn is amazing until end game gearing kicks in. Thats when i stopped playing. Try finding heavy caster armor with specific caster stats - 100s of hours for a single upgrade...yeah, no.
    they have upped some drop rates the last 2 updates , maybe time to fire it up
    Even with updated drop rates, eventually you'll get everything for the most part and be left scrounging for what miniscule upgrades you can still get because you're already at 99% optimization, I think.  (if anything, upping drop rates might make players reach that point faster)

Most other ARPGs avoid this to a point by making it take a freakishly long amount of time to reach the level cap (or the game's variant of it, like omega levels in Marvel Heroes or Paragon levels in Diablo 3.  Or just... levels in Diablo 2, lol).  Sadly, as awesome as Grim Dawn is, it is IMHO a major flaw that you hit "the end" too quickly in regards to levels (seriously, if you do every quest in the game, you'll generally reach max level just as you're still only halfway done with the last difficulty without any grinding) leaving nothing but the items, and those kinda hit "close enough to the end" pretty quickly too.

An odd design decision to make max level so easy to get, assuming that was intentional.
    edited April 2016
    Tiamat64 said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:

they have upped some drop rates the last 2 updates , maybe time to fire it up
    Even with updated drop rates, eventually you'll get everything for the most part and be left scrounging for what miniscule upgrades you can still get because you're already at 99% optimization, I think.  (if anything, upping drop rates might make players reach that point faster)

Most other ARPGs avoid this to a point by making it take a freakishly long amount of time to reach the level cap (or the game's variant of it, like omega levels in Marvel Heroes or Paragon levels in Diablo 3.  Or just... levels in Diablo 2, lol).  Sadly, as awesome as Grim Dawn is, it is IMHO a major flaw that you hit "the end" too quickly in regards to levels (seriously, if you do every quest in the game, you'll generally reach max level just as you're still only halfway done with the last difficulty without any grinding) leaving nothing but the items, and those kinda hit "close enough to the end" pretty quickly too.

An odd design decision to make max level so easy to get, assuming that was intentional.
    Hopefully the expansion will be just as good as the game.  Maybe that will fix the issue.  At least its not D3 :-D  But then again, I am a ways away from "End Game".  And man is the game fun in  the process of getting there!
    edited April 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

xpowderx said:
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Nope i havent but ive heard nothing but good things about it. I guess i know what ill be doing tonight.....

Thanks, but no thanks.  Besides the shameless thread hijacking.  Where your game could be discussed elsewhere.  I am not interested in another zombie apocalypse game.  They really are getting old!
    The game is a dark fantasy ARPG like Grim Dawn. If someone like @DMKano and myself have already played all of Grim Dawn this Indi title is similar so it interests us. Calm down hero. ;)
    If it is directed specifically towards @DMKano.  You could always message him or make a separate thread elsewhere.  Some of us are still new to Grim Dawn.

You can disagree.  But seriously. It is what it is!
    xpowderx said:
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:

xpowderx said:
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:

The game is a dark fantasy ARPG like Grim Dawn. If someone like @DMKano and myself have already played all of Grim Dawn this Indi title is similar so it interests us. Calm down hero. ;)
    Yea it doesnt feel like a Zombie Apoc game At all,, and with the last update .. you can.. wait for it  .. remove the zombies .. :)

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:

Ooh, Soldak has a new game? Sweet! Definitely checking it out. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    OP you described everything i hate with gaming,ARPG=SPAM...Diablo 2?lmao can't stand anything in Blizzard's portfolio.

ARPG with a story,i find that very hard to believe.

None the less,i checked it out at Steam ROFLMAO ,i'd give it a 2/10 same trashy Diablo clone spam spam aoe spam,locked camera,small narrow paths,leave your brain at the local bar it is not needed in this game.

Obviously with tons of people enjoying these type of games there is some interest,i fail to see what that interest is.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited April 2016
    Wizardry said:
    OP you described everything i hate with gaming,ARPG=SPAM...Diablo 2?lmao can't stand anything in Blizzard's portfolio.

ARPG with a story,i find that very hard to believe.

None the less,i checked it out at Steam ROFLMAO ,i'd give it a 2/10 same trashy Diablo clone spam spam aoe spam,locked camera,small narrow paths,leave your brain at the local bar it is not needed in this game.

Obviously with tons of people enjoying these type of games there is some interest,i fail to see what that interest is.
    Well, I don't know if it counts as the type of story you're looking for, but I thought the various notes you could find and read in the game were quite interesting.

You don't need to play the game if you want to judge for yourself or at least read some entertainment though, thanks to wiki magic.

Here, for example, are a set of notes you can find and read when you're on a quest to retrieve something from Hargate's lab.  You pick up these notes and (can) read them as you progress through Hargate's lab on your way to retrieve a book for someone.  Again, the story in them only give the background of the mission, but it did provide a lot of depth and atmosphere for me as I found them while progressing through the dungeon.  Read them and tell me what you think!

http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Hargate's_Journal_-_Page_1
    http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Hargate's_Journal_-_Page_2
    http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Hargate's_Journal_-_Page_3
    http://grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Hargate's_Journal_-_Page_4

(SPOILER.  Read this only after you've read the above four notes

The final boss of the dungeon that you fight shortly after getting the fourth note is a giant naga named Ellena)

Pretty much every major dungeon (and even many minor ones or outdoor map areas) is like that where you can read the lore behind the dungeon as you progress through it (assuming you stop to read it rather than just ignore the notes you pick up).  I thought it provided a nice touch to really let you know just how that dungeon became the hell it is even as you go through it myself but eh, maybe different things float different peoples' boats.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I found out about it on Kickstarter. Got it for $12 I think. Great game, would highly recommend unless you are some weirdo or @Wizardry (dude you are like the crotchety old man on the block that hates everything humans find enjoyable ;) ). 

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

bartoni33 said:

I found out about it on Kickstarter. Got it for $12 I think. Great game, would highly recommend unless you are some weirdo or @Wizardry (dude you are like the crotchety old man on the block that hates everything humans find enjoyable ;) ). 
    hehe, ill let our readers decide on crochety old man.  A excerpt! :D

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord is the first game in the Wizardry series of role-playing video games. It was developed by Andrew Greenberg and Robert Woodhead. In 1980, Norman Sirotek formed Sir-Tech Software, Inc. and launched a Beta version of the product at the 1980 Boston Computer Convention. The final version of the game was released in 1981

hahaha :p