Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I found this to actually be an intelligent discussion.

12346»

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited April 2016
    filmoret said:
    They actually said "all the characters models are being completely redone"  Then went on to explain later about new skeletons.  Which i dont feel like explaining again in detail once again in this thread.  So either they scrapped the idea which is good for them and means they started using common sense,  Or they are still doing the "redone" but in vain are also polishing the existing models.
    Or your definition of "redone" is somewhat different from CIG's definition of "redone".

Maybe for CIG "working on something" is not equal to "scrapping something" e.g. optimising/simplifying  the skeleton for performance reasons may not be equal to building a completely "new skeleton".

Have fun
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:
    They actually said "all the characters models are being completely redone"  Then went on to explain later about new skeletons.  Which i dont feel like explaining again in detail once again in this thread.  So either they scrapped the idea which is good for them and means they started using common sense,  Or they are still doing the "redone" but in vain are also polishing the existing models.
    Or your definition of "redone" is somewhat different from CIG's definition of "redone".

Maybe for CIG "working on something" is not equal to "scrapping something" e.g. optimising/simplifying  the skeleton for performance reasons may not be equal to building a completely "new skeleton".

Have fun
    Could go either way....

Professionals with hands on experience of the project

vs

Random Internet commentator's

Tough call to make!

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:

Have fun

So I guess in order to have conversations on this board we need to have at hand a yet unpublished CIG dictionary since common English words don't actual mean what they are supposed to in CIG's world.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:

Have fun

So I guess in order to have conversations on this board we need to have at hand a yet unpublished CIG dictionary since common English words don't actual mean what they are supposed to in CIG's world.
    The word "completely" combined with the word "redone".  Unless you have some strange understanding of basic english this can mean only one thing.  Then to further prove that the english definitions are accurate they talk about the process.  Which stated clearly they were using different skeletons.  Man really?  So you will even defend CIG with blind force without even realizing you are actually attacking their own decision.  Please stop this nonsense we are trying to have an intelligent conversation.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:

Have fun
    Could go either way....

vs

Tough call to make!

Its more like what erilion thinks it means and what the english dictionary says.  Which seem to be different.  Thanks for trolling though and speaking without thinking once again.
  • GrumpyHobbitGrumpyHobbit Member RarePosts: 1,220
    filmoret said:
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:

Have fun
    Could go either way....

vs

Tough call to make!

Its more like what erilion thinks it means and what the english dictionary says.  Which seem to be different.  Thanks for trolling though and speaking without thinking once again.
    Writing....

It should have been 'writing without thinking'...and you try to belittle me...
    filmoret said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:

Have fun

The word "completely" combined with the word "redone".  Unless you have some strange understanding of basic english this can mean only one thing.  Then to further prove that the english definitions are accurate they talk about the process.  Which stated clearly they were using different skeletons.  Man really?  So you will even defend CIG with blind force without even realizing you are actually attacking their own decision.  Please stop this nonsense we are trying to have an intelligent conversation.

I'm not sure if you are yelling at me or agreeing with me lol
    I found this while searching for some CIG information.  I know its a bad time considering all the SC threads running active right now but it seems to be more intelligent information that reveals why this game is taking longer then it should have.  So this article is from massively and speaks for itself.  Very clearly explains the problems CIG has faced and why it caused Derek Smart to respond the way he did.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/21/ascents-lead-dev-offers-insight-on-the-star-citizen-controversy/
    filmoret said:
    Good article. You will find several threads here in this subforum discussing it (about half a year ago and then again this week and last week e.g. the "double precision" thread).

Have fun 
    Yea I also found something on Cry Engine's forums about what SC is trying to accomplish and how its possible.  Reading the article a bit you can see some mistakes and you expect those of course.  But CIG is trying to build something that has never been done before and if they actually succeed.   For those who don't know it has to do with the engine able to seamlessly move through thousands of KM without load screens.  The problems that arise have been dealt with by making load screens.  But it does appear that if CIG is successful then you won't be able to play the game without a graphics card that can run 64 bit operations and right now they are only running at 23.
    filmoret said:
    Yea I also found something on Cry Engine's forums about what SC is trying to accomplish and how its possible.  Reading the article a bit you can see some mistakes and you expect those of course.  But CIG is trying to build something that has never been done before and if they actually succeed.   For those who don't know it has to do with the engine able to seamlessly move through thousands of KM without load screens.  The problems that arise have been dealt with by making load screens.  But it does appear that if CIG is successful then you won't be able to play the game without a graphics card that can run 64 bit operations and right now they are only running at 23.
    I am always interested in such articles.  Link please.

Have fun
    edited April 2016
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:
    I am always interested in such articles.  Link please.

Have fun
    Ah here it is very nice to see people who know what Cryengine is talking about the possibilities.

https://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=355&t=128550

Notice the comments are by moderators and developers of cryengine.
    filmoret said:
    Ah here it is very nice to see people who know what Cryengine is talking about the possibilities.

https://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=355&t=128550

Notice the comments are by moderators and developers of cryengine.
    That thread is quite short. I found two relevant comments w.r.t. Star Citizen:

Zezeri (Moderator)

"I don't think anything like this is planned for EaaS at this point. Not for the forseeable future.

Integrating and maintaining DP in an engine is a big task, wich CIG is doing currently. Now I don't think Crytek will use CIG's impmentation of DP in the SDK branch. The reason for that is that it's a big change in the engine and not really suitable for all types of games. Also it increases memory usage, because most position related coordinates need to be using Doubles instead of Singles (Entity/brush positions, particle positions,...)

It would still be cool to have higher precision for CE. Some games that do sim-like gameplay or games like Miscreated or Flightsims would benefit from this"

Lavizh (Staff Lead)

"Not sure what Cryteks plan is. Would like to have it but as I understand it's CIG that's implementing DP into their own engine branch not Crytek. Crytek has been experimenting with Segmented Worlds instead. Hopefully it will lead to something.

As Jan mentioned above. It will increase memory requirements. Not always a good thing for a game engine."

The rest of the comments are about CryTeks "Segmented Worlds" technology (not SC related) and about the possibility that tech successfully developed for Star Citizen would be handed back to CryTek for use in other games (and if that would be for free and/or a part of the licensing deal).

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:
    Good article. You will find several threads here in this subforum discussing it (about half a year ago and then again this week and last week e.g. the "double precision" thread).

Have fun 
    It is a good read especially when he details the issues he thinks CIG will run into if they did manage to upgrade the engine like they wanted. 

The best part is where he agrees with Derek that he was mostly right about what they could and couldn't do. Makes you wonder if the project would have gone differently if CR and DS worked together instead of where we are now.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:

Have fun 
    It is a good read especially when he details the issues he thinks CIG will run into if they did manage to upgrade the engine like they wanted. 

The best part is where he agrees with Derek that he was mostly right about what they could and couldn't do. Makes you wonder if the project would have gone differently if CR and DS worked together instead of where we are now.
    I get the impression that both are very hard to work with.

If they were both working together One would most likely have died by a shot in the head while the other to his surprise was unknowingly poisoned.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• goobsnewsgoobsnews Member UncommonPosts: 220
    The most damning thing is that Jennison's letter basically backs up the Escapist Article on how CR runs his company.
    That was before the day to day operations were taken over by Erin Roberts and Chris Roberts concentrates on the creative and media side of things at CIG. That was before a major rearrangement of responsibilities, pipelines and task assignments across studios initiated by Erin as now Global Head of Production. 

Have fun