Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would it take for you to pledge?

Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
Im guessing some of you may be on the same boat as me. You want to support the game and really want to help make it to release so you can play it yourself. Youre tired of the same overplayed guided gameplay/interactive department stores MMO's have become of late. The tenets of Pantheons development team are one of the few, if not the only, MMO that seems to get what you want in an MMO. To top it off, youll get some in-game goodies and two copies of the game which is more or less going to be what 2 copies will cost you if you wait for release.

On the other hand there is always that risk of dropping down $100+ dollars on something that may never be. To be frank, the 'financial ethics' behind it doesnt exactly build confidence either. Hell, its fully possible that youll hate the game even if it does come out. Yet here you are.

Many have already pledged and are eagerly awaiting their prize. Some might still be on the fence or just waiting for a more sure thing (like me). Others laugh at the idea of just paying for something that not only will make someone else money, but may never happen in the end.

TL;DR
Just thought id make a thread to see who else is also deciding and why. Maybe even give the devs some insight on what to "advertise" to us next to convince us to pony up. Those of you on the fence, what do you want/need to see or know before you decide to give away your hard earned cash ($100+ pledge)?

Personally, id at least like an alpha date. Its easier to "invest" if I know ill at least be able to play an early, incredibly limited and buggy version of the game for a while. Meanwhile, more game play videos showing off some higher level dungeon game play or more detailed combat mechanics (and animations!) might just make me impulse buy it just to get it out of my head.

Feel free to discuss, even if you already are pledged or pity us poor gullible fools for flushing our money on a promise.

Comments

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    If I won the lotto I think I might pledge 20$...

• VynlarkVynlark Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited April 2016
    I had no issues finding it.  Join.  Right there in the place I assumed it would be, after Lore, Races, Classes, what have you.  All the places I would naturally check first before JOIN.

Damn those stupid people running the website.
  • KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I don't pledge to games.  When they release I will buy it.  Not even it they brought the price down to $1 would I pledge.  I don't trust them a bit.  
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    If I was guaranteed a release then "sure" but there are no guarantees in game development.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    A finished game.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I am holding off on pledges until CU comes out.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    H0urg1ass said:
    A finished game.
    This. I'm a consumer, not an investor.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Vynlark said:
    I had no issues finding it.  Join.  Right there in the place I assumed it would be, after Lore, Races, Classes, what have you.  All the places I would naturally check first before JOIN.

Damn those stupid people running the website.
    Hey, the question was asked.  Just saying.  It's not a very inspiring web page design if you're looking to solicit pledges.  The expensive packages aren't even directly linked off the main page, which isn't a good move on their part.  There should be a big button right in the middle of the page labelled "Play" or "Pledge" or "Orgasm" or whatever (something that gets your attention), that takes you directly to the place where it's too easy to give them more money than they probably deserve.  That's a better strategy.
    What? Join is right on the bar that is immediately visible on the main page? Are you looking at the site on a 10 year old Blackberry or something?

After clicking Join, you see 4 options. Free, Supporter sub, Champion sub, and Pledge packages which explain and link you to all of the "expensive" pledges. Its not rocket science, and of course they don't want to put big price tags right in your face saying give us huge amounts of money. Seems pretty reasonable.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    I could be the most wealthiest person in the world and Pantheon could lack just $1 to make it's collective dreams come true and I would not support this due to Brads previous shenanigans.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Took quite a few comments before the most obvious one was made. BradMcQuaid...
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    Kryn said:
    I don't pledge to games.  When they release I will buy it.  Not even it they brought the price down to $1 would I pledge.  I don't trust them a bit.  
    Agreed, and even when you buy the final product you can never be sure if chess becomes checkers at some point and the game you bought no longer exists.
  • Adjuvant1Adjuvant1 Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I believe in performing work, then presenting the finished product for sale. If for some reason you need my money to make that process happen, I'm getting a contract and a percentage.
  • LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    This game is being made by like 5 people in a basement.  After it might come out in 2019 then I will have to give it some time before I lay a penny on it.  And no, its not the only MMO like this coming out.  Saga of Lucimia looks much better to be honest, but neither are really anywhere near a release.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Simple proof that one of their developers no longer has access to the money. Love Brad, biggest fan ever. Still think no MMO has the quality that EQ1 or Vanguard had. I have posted this before and if I had it my wife and I would each back for about $100 each. We both want in at the Alpha level. 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    You are kidding right?
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    I'm still on the fence regarding pledging.  So far I really like what I've seen.  The game tenet's are something I'm looking for in a MMO and would get behind but recent history has made me wary when it comes to pledging.

Also the $100 buy in is a bit steep.  I feel they're missing out on further pledges due to this.  If they had a pledge around the $50 mark I would most likely pledge and (IMO) others would to. Setting the minimal pledge at $100 your hitting that psychological barrier that only true believers are willing to cross. 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Nanfoodle said:
    Simple proof that one of their developers no longer has access to the money. Love Brad, biggest fan ever. Still think no MMO has the quality that EQ1 or Vanguard had. I have posted this before and if I had it my wife and I would each back for about $100 each. We both want in at the Alpha level. 
    Lol, i actually agree with you, EQ and Vanguard are my two favorite mmo's I've played.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Once there's enough game to convince 4-5 other people I know to play it, then I'll pledge.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    To spend $100+ on a game?  For that, the game would not just have to be out, but for me to have played it enough that I'm satisfied that it's quite good.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    If it has a gold release and whatever business model they chose. Then they will see some money. Same for all other games which have not been released yet.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    I pledge to buy it if its gets a lot of good reviews.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    I'd support it, but I still have third degree burns from pledging to Shroud of the Avatar.

Maybe after my wounds have healed...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Nothing. I don't like paying for promises. If the game is good at launch, and im the target audience then i can pay for it.

Besides, pretty sure they make more money than i do. They certainly don't need my cash before the final product is complete.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    There's nothing that would get me to pledge and I'm probably the majority. This project is very much a "prove yourselves" type project, you can thank the catastrophe known as Vanguard for that.

Luckily so far things are looking good but they'll likely have to deal with a barebones budget until launch. That said, if it has that classic EQ feel and isn't too trashy(Project Gorgon lol) the veterans will throw money at this game, me included.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,815
    I usually wait for games to release, have good reviews, and hopefully have a trial or a bunch of good videos. For MMO's, I usually wait 6 months to a year before jumping in. To let it "bake" in a bit.

So for me, after Pantheon releases with good reviews, and runs for a year or so, I'll jump in.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.